Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Scootin' goon checking in. I'm teaching English in Taiwan right now, and scooters are basically the norm around here. I have to say prior to leaving the US I always though scooters were kinda silly, but they are actually pretty fun.

Here is a shot of my beast:

Its a 100cc "Yamaha" (its origins are rather dubious, and I suspect its Chinese copy)

I'm definitely considering picking one up when I get back to the states, but I given this is like a scooters paradise here I'm not sure I could obey the rules. Lane splitting down ~2ft corridors between cars at red lights to the scooter zones at red lights, total disregard for speed limits, running red lights if the traffic is light...

Anyways I was gonna make a thread specifically for my Taiwan scootin' adventures so I'll save the rest for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Phat_Albert posted:

Please do!

Already started working on it. Should be ready sometime this weekend.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Mathturbator posted:

Just a heads-up: There's a very real limit to the amount of lean you can get on a scooter :(

I parked my GSXR motorcycle and went for a ride on my scooter, and promptly crashed because I carried too much speed into a turn, causing the sidestand to dig into the asphalt and fling me and the scoot down the road. It's been scuffed and the steering is a bit out of whack, but nothing serious.

Yeah, I've only been riding for a few months, and I've almost ate it on a turns taking turns to tight. Especially when I for to op the kickstand up, whoops!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

I thought most scooters had kill switches in them that kill the engine if you had the kickstand down, or bring it down while it is running.

Newer one probably do, but mine is an old piece of poo poo. It pops up pretty easily though so if I forget it usually just makes a whole lot of noise, and scares the poo poo out of me. I did almost bite it once though trying to make a left hand turn, and it popped me back up for a second. Almost sent me off the road.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Puddin posted:

I'm totally trying to convince my other half to let me buy a scooter. I'm having my work vehicle taken off me for a few months while another is found and I dont really want to rely on public transport.

My car is garaged and doesnt really get used too much so its a pain if I want to nip down to the shops for small things and would be the perfect thing for getting to and from my sporting activities.

Now only if I can convince her.

Man those Ruckus's look drat cool.

Just point out the fact that they tend to be reasonably priced, and are about as easy on gas as you can get. Maybe point out that they have an auto trans as well so she would be able to use it as well with next to no training.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

If 45 mph is the "sweet spot" for a 125 then I guess I really do have a piece of crap scooter because my 125 can barely do 50 mph at full throttle.

I regularly push 80 kph (49 mph according to Google conversion) on my shitbox 100cc. I would think you could push 60 on a 125cc. Are you winding out the transmission as well? Good be that your scooter has a low gear ratio, or something.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Ampersand-e posted:

drat I love my scooter!

Hell yeah!

Taken Sunday. About 2 minutes before the sky's opened up a torrential rain, and I had to stash the camera/get out the rain poncho on the quick. Let me tell you, riding down a mountain on a beat to poo poo scooter with the rain soaking you through and through, trying to dodge road debris, and navigate hair-pin turns leaves a lot to be desired.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Kalista posted:

Hey, a scooter thread! I rode a twist 'n go Venice into the ground between 3 years in Los Angeles and 5 years in Seattle (and yeah, I knew/still don't know much about small-engine maintenance, but I'm learning). I picked up a new Kymco Super 8 two months ago and love it so much. I'm really looking forward to Scooter Insanity 23 next weekend.

Pictures:

Waiting for the Bremerton ferry to go see a friend:

How are Kymco's anyway? I see a fair amount of them here around Taiwan, but I don't know much about them. I'm sorta in the market for a new (used) scooter so I'm curious. Reliability is paramount as scooters are pretty much your first and last line of transportation here.

Also somewhat odd question for ya'll:

Which do you guys prefer for cornering: leg out -or- leg in?

I have a habit of keeping my leg in as it can get pretty dicey racing between cars in heavy traffic, but putting a leg out keeps me from leaning too far over in tight cornering. Its not like we have the kind of lean motorcycles have after-all. So I'm curious what is considered proper scooting technique?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

From everything I've heard Kymcos are drat reliable. Some of their bikes are made in mainland China, and on those the fit-and-finish suffers (the Agility 125 I sat on confirmed this), but apparently they are still mechanically quite sound.

I keep my leg in while cornering, but it's just preference. In most of the scooter racing I've seen they put a knee out like sportbikers, though.

Thanks for the Kymco info. I'm still leaning toward a used Yamaha 150cc, as my current Yamaha 100cc has treated me right, but this will help me keep my options open.

Kicking a leg out on tight cornering just feels more natural too me on a scooter for some reason. I gotta break that habit before I bust my leg on the back of someones car though :ohdear:.