Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This is more of a general cycling question but since I am a scooter owner and I don't see any specific thread about helmets I'll post it here. I have a decent helmet, it's comfy and fits well. During the hot months (which is about 3/4 of the year where I live) it gets really hot when I'm idling at a stoplight or heavy traffic, and putting the windshield up doesn't help too much. I was thinking of buying of those modular full face helmets where the whole face/jaw part swings up.

I've seen plenty of people use them and they look nice. Are they less safe? If not, do you guys have any specific recommendations? I'd prefer one of the ones with the dark visor that drops down inside the helmet because I've found that wearing glasses inside a helmet is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If 45 mph is the "sweet spot" for a 125 then I guess I really do have a piece of crap scooter because my 125 can barely do 50 mph at full throttle.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

HappyHelmet posted:

Are you winding out the transmission as well?

I have no idea what that means.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Well I finally did it, I put my scooter down. Thankfully it was at low speeds, I was taking a turn and some rear end in a top hat decided the best place to throw out his dirty soapy water was the drain in the middle of the street. Luckily I invested in a protective jacket literally the week before, so I'm okay. Just a couple of small scrapes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't wave to people on my scooter anymore than I wave to people in my car. What the hell.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I need some help. I have a Keeway F-Act (aka a cheap Chinese scoot) 125cc with a flat battery. The kick pedal on this thing is a bitch. In the past I have been able to kick it after about 15 frustrating minutes, but this time it just doesn't seem to work anymore. I must have kicked the poor thing 30 times and all it is doing is making the lights flash. I tried giving it a little gas too but it's no good. The pedal was starting to feel wierd so I stopped. I know it has gas, and it was running just fine 8 hours before, although even with the electric start it takes a while before it runs on its own. Is there some I'm doing wrong? Do I just need to suck it up and have it towed to a mechanic?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The thing about the huge scooters is, why not just get a proper motorcycle at that point? You can go for a cruiser style if you want to sit back.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I've never heard of Vento, but Kymco is a pretty popular brand and seems to have decent quality.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I fear turns and take them extremely slowly... on my 125cc scoot.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Uh how do you put your foot down at stops with that thing clipped on?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

You just put them down? It's not fastened at the bottom, it's just an apron.

Oh. Somebody said it clips to the bike itself, so I was confused. If it's just a dress you'd probably look less silly buying some warm chaps or baggy pants that clip on.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Got some more problems with my cheap China 125cc!

Last night my battery was flat (again,) after a couple fruitless attempts to start while cranking the throttle I gave it up as a bad deal and took the battery inside to charge overnight.

The battery is topped off this morning, starter cranks over beautifully (without throttle) and the scoot idles fine, but the tiniest bit of throttle kills the engine. I had this problem in the past in similar situations, but it those cases it was fine rolling on flat road and after a few minutes the engine cleared up and I could floor it uphill.

Well this time I can't even get the wheels rolling when it's on the kickstand. I have no engine aptitude but at a guess it seems to be like there might be an airflow problem? Again this scoot was left untouched overnight so I figure if it was flooded last night it should be fine now.

The weather is heating up and I would really like to be able to ride again without all this bullshit. Once I can get it running I'll take it to a mechanic to get it looked at, but for now what can I do?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Do you have a straw built into your helmet to go with that cupholder?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So there's plenty of guides and videos on how to do basic carb cleaning maintenance, but everybody seems to skip the part where you actually take it out of the scoot. Maybe it's just easy as pie but as soon as I took the seat cover off and took a look at that mess of hose and metal I got scared of loving everything up. Anybody have a good source for this? I'm talking about your standard Chinese knock-off scoots.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I realize I've basically been talking to myself for the last five or so posts in this thread but... I DID IT! I decided to bite the bullet and take apart the carb, I cleaned it out and managed to put everything together and now it runs and rides just like before! Feels good man.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget to bugdet for gear. If you plan on riding in the winter you'll need a second set for that.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That... is an abomination.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Do you have access to a multimeter to check what the actual voltage across your battery terminals is?

How long does a scoot battery last anyways? I've had to replace mine twice in the past three years, they aren't cheap.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I understand your reasons but man that thing would look much better without the decal and weird-rear end fin thing.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't the air filter supposed to be oily? To help catch dust and whatnot.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So it turns out you are supposed to check your tire pressure more than once every three years :downs:

Feels like a totally different ride, I can actually make turns now!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
My front brake handle is sticky. What should I use to lube it? Also, any tips for taking the handle apart? Never done it before.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's hard to squeeze. Last time I was at the mechanic I complained about it and when I picked it up he said it just needed a lube job (I hope he checked the fluid, I can't be sure.) It worked fine for two weeks, then it went back to being hard to squeeze. I'm guessing he just squirted some WD40 in there that evaporated.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how the roads are where you drive, but I'm still kicking myself for buying a scooter with tiny wheels. Don't buy one like that, you'll feel every bump and pothole. Go for something with bigger wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
My daily commute takes me through a couple of road work areas where there is a lot of loose sand and gravel on the road. Are there any special precautions to take on those roads other than driving slow and not taking sharp corners?