Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.

CubanRefugee posted:

Had my first real encounter with a couple of teenage douchebags while on my lunch break.

You should have told them to go look up reaction formation and then winked at them and told them to come find you once they figure things out.

Even if you aren't gay, there's nothing more hilarious than making awkward teenagers feel even more awkward. And besides, its a couple teenagers, who cares.

Also, I just took an endorsement class last weekend, so I'm in the market for a scooter. I'm leaning really heavily toward a Stella. It seems to hit the sweet spot of looks, cost, reliability and performance. I really hate how most "modern" scooters look, and I'm hesitant to pay the premium for the vespa name, especially on something new.

Anybody in Seattle want to buy a 1978 vespa bravo moped?

NotJoe fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

If you buy used.

Theres a dealership nearby selling 'new' 2008 Stellas for about $2600, which is a little bit more than a used one on craigslist, but waaay less than even a used vespa.

quote:

If you mod it, carefully. They are loving slow stock.

I've been riding a 50cc bravo, so I'm sure pretty much anything will seem fast in comparison. I don't expect to take it on the highway, mostly just for daily travel around town.

quote:

even if you've never named a vehicle before, you will come up with a name for a Stella (or any other classic-type 2-stroke shifty scooter). Even when they work they have personality. Mine's a finicky bitch. Her name is Barbarella.

Is this only a 2 stroke thing? Is the upcoming 4 stroke expected to be less finicky?

NotJoe fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 29, 2010

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

Thing is, I want to get one NOW.

I'd probably go for the 4t right now if it was out, but I dont want to sit and wait for it while all the nice weather is going on..

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

So I bought a used 2005 stella about a week ago, and I've been riding it all over the place. Spent about $2k all told after all the taxes and licensing and stuff since I got it at a dealer. It has a sito plus exhaust, brand new tires, bakes, battery and fuel gauge sensor.

The thing runs perfectly. If I pull the choke out about halfway, it will start immediately, and it idles smooth right away, even in the morning. It has plenty of power, even for some of the steeper hills in Seattle. I was riding all over Magnolia (one of the more hilly neighborhoods) the other day and was easily accelerating up all the hills.

I'm sure I'll have some negative things to say about it in the future, but for now, I'm having a lot of fun.

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

So I've posted in this thread a couple times, but never any pictures. I just passed 12,000 miles on my '05 Stella today. Only about 1500-2000 of them are mine, but I've only had it since July, so thats not bad!

I'm in Seattle and riding it to work (about 10 miles roundtrip) every chance I get all winter. Need to find some rain pants.

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

Tindjin posted:

One of my buds has a Tangerine one that in 4 years he just rolled over 26K.

Nice! I want to do a ton of riding next summer. I figured out a scooter friendly route all the way up to my parents place. Would normally be an hour north on the freeway, but the scenic route takes about 2.5 hours. Wouldn't be able to carry pretty much anything, but it'd be a lot of fun I'm sure. I also kind of want to try and figure out a route out toward Mt Rainier.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Hey fellow black Stella Washingtonian buddy :hfive:

Yo! Are you the guy with the awesome rabbit helmet?

NotJoe fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 4, 2010

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

So I haven't had a chance to ride the scoot in a few days because of the weather, and the brakes took a while to be effective at all this morning. I could squeeze really hard on the handbrake and it wouldn't do much. By the second time I came to a full stop in the first minute or so, they were pretty much back to normal. This happens often when I haven't ridden in a few days. I can't tell if its because of the temperature, if the pads are just damp at first and have no friction, or what.

It hasn't been a big deal yet, since it fixes itself really quick once I get going, but is this just something that happens in the winter, or is it actually a problem that will get worse?

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

My family is getting together for some camping this weekend, and I'm thinking about taking friday off and riding my scooter to the site. I'm pretty good about packing super light, but I'll need to carry at least a small tent, sleeping bag and pad with me.

Heres the route. Its close to 100 miles, would take probably 3 hours with a fair amount of sustained 55mph stretches. I could just take it slower and let people pass me, but should I be concerned with overheating? I have a 2005 2t Stella with sito+. In the year I've been riding, the only Issues I've had are a frayed spark plug wire and a slow leak flat tire. Engine is pretty tip top. I've kept it at 55 for probably 10 minutes max before, but I've never taken it outside the city on a longer ride, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'll also be riding alone.

I plan on carrying some fix-a-flat, a small tool kit, a ~20oz bottle of spare gas and some extra 2t oil. Is there anything else I absolutely need to carry?