Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
I wonder if you scooter fiends could give me some advice or a recommendation. I'm wanting to get onto 2 wheels since the snow melted, but the area I live in is devoid of good scooters or motorcycles for that matter except 12 grand Harleys. Right now I'm looking at two scooters and I'm not sure which one I should go with. The first one being a 2004 Vino 50cc, the other a 1997 Honda Elite 80.

The information I've been given is as follows: for the 2004 Vino, it has 2800 miles, has had normal maintenance and the only damage is a scratch on the front fender. It's a 2 stroke, has moped plates, wants $900 for it and is about an hour's drive away. The 1997 Honda Elite 80 has about 2000 miles and has no cracks or scratches and has been used routinely. The owner is asking $1000 for it and it's only about 10 minutes away.

So on one hand, I've got a smaller scooter that is newer and cheaper, but further away, the other is older, but more powerful and closer. I am a big guy, but being able to go fast isn't an issue, going 30-35 is fine for what I would plan to use for it. Also, not having to get a motorcycle endorsement is another thing too, but I wouldn't be totally against it.

The '97 Honda Elite 80 - http://rmn.craigslist.org/mcy/1733398981.html
The 2004 Vino - http://mankato.craigslist.org/mcy/1731397466.html

Click here for the full 2000x1971 image.

The scratch on the Vino, don't have any pictures of the Elite 80 except those in the ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005

BradleyJamers posted:

The '97 Honda Elite 80 - http://rmn.craigslist.org/mcy/1733398981.html

Went and saw the Honda today, it did have the right miles and started up with the electric start, only problem was it had been laid down on the left side. Had some scratching and rust on the bottom, a broke left brake handle which was cemented back together, left mirror was slightly broke on the corner and some cracking associated with that. Also paint was gone to the left of the left blinker. Seemed like $1,000 was too much for the damage and age of the bike, maybe I'm wrong on that though. I'll have to keep my eye out for something else, too bad this area doesn't have much in terms of good used scooters.

BradleyJamers fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 13, 2010

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Seeing a lot of '09 Kymco Agility 125s popping up at various dealers, trying to get rid of old models. Been looking to pick up a good scooter and seeing these drop from 2k to 1500 (plus ~200 for tax+fees) is pretty tempting. Unfortunately the dealer in town isn't doing the same, but I'll probably go see how I fit on one regardless. Before I think about driving an hour or two away before realizing if it's comfortable or not.

Used scooters/motorcycles in my area is pretty bleak, it's either Harley's or cheap Chinese scooters people are trying to get rid of. While I know the Agility is made in China, it has more quality control and way more parts support than any Chinese junker. Only other options are either Yamaha Vino/Zuma 125 or a Buddy 125, but those are kinda out of my price range.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005

frunksock posted:

Is there a thread for electric bicycles?

There is http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3247228