Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The guy who owns the local scooter shop sold me with the “you won’t be cool, you won’t be a badass, but you’ll be happy” sales pitch and I bought a 50cc to see if I’d be into it.

Three years later, I’m on my third bike (sold one to get a slightly faster bike, sold that to get a more reliable one) and have gotten my motorcycle endorsement so I’m all legal and poo poo.

I am absolutely in love with my Royal Alloy GT150. About 600 miles on it so far and I think I’ll keep this one forever and just buy other scooters/motorcycles to supplement it.

No questions or anything. Just an “I love my baby” post.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Coydog posted:

Is there a lot of storage under the seat?

There is literally none.

But I just look at that as an excuse to add all the shiny chrome racks I can to it and I considering commissioning a friend of mine to make panniers.

This is definitely meant to be a modern Lambretta, which is my favorite classic style. Apparently there's a whole brouhaha that I'll copy and paste from wikipedia because most of the writeups are outdated.

"Scomadi scooters were originally manufactured in China by Hanway Motors who initially productionised the Scomadi 3D CAD designs. After many delays,they brought the 50 cc to market in 2015. This was followed by the 125 cc then the 200cc TL models.

A court case later ensued where Hanway claimed to have contributed more to the project than the brand owners thought fair. Scomadi themselves claimed that the Chinese producer, Hanway, had "violated Scomadi's intellectual property rights by making scooters under the Royal Alloy brand, which look almost identical to Scomadi designs".[7] Royal Alloy had started producing and selling scooters that were the same scooter as the Scomadi, but with subtle visual differences [8] This court case was found in Hanways favor. Scomadi moved to appeal, but later negotiated to a compromise, which saw the cessation of all legal action between the two by 2019 on condition that the conditions of said agreement were not breached."

But Scomadi aren't available in the US even if I did want manage to care much about this. They're both based on the Lambretta, so they're both modern clones, anyway.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I rode my first RA GT a few weeks ago and I was surprised how nice the ride was. It's a big heavy thing, and that makes the handling better than the average scooter I think. I gotta say though it felt very Chinese when working on it. Like, Chinese as opposed to PGO, you know? I was not too impressed.

My local shop is head over heels for them, including doing the maintenance so I may be in a better position than most in that regard.

Apparently they sell more than just about anyone in the US and the owner said it’s their “second favorite engine to work on.”

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I owned a Genuine Buddy for my daily commuter about 5 years ago before I moved from Austin to Portland, and am starting to get the itch again now that telework is ending and I'm not super enthusiastic about getting back on the bus since the pandemic isn't actually over (really regretting not paying the $40 or whatever to transfer my Motorcycle endorsement). I'll probably end up getting another Genuine once all is said and done, but I've been looking at electric options as well and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them. My local Vespa dealer carries a Niu that tops out at 45 mph that'd get me where I need to be, but I'm also wary that maybe two wheel electric isn't where it necessarily needs to be to be a daily commuter.

I’m also in Portland (assuming you mean Oregon). Be sure you check out Sabatino’s up in St. Johns, too. He’s the main Genuine dealer in the area.

Eric is an imminently good dude and it’ll give you some other options. St. Johns is also just a great neighborhood and if you catch me in the right mood I can show you the sights.

Almost to my 1,200 mile tune up and I’m going to ask him what he thinks my options are to do some ergonomic tweaks. I’m 6’2” and my Royal Alloy is already a really big scooter in the classic Lambretta style, but since a lot of my height is in my back I could use the handlebars just a smidge higher.

I’d also like some better mirrors and to maybe install bar end blinkers so I can take the ugly pods off the handlebars, but if I end up changing out the bar I don’t want to do that install twice.

I don’t see anyone online doing those kinds of mods to this bike, but my partner’s husband is making all these changes to his old Honda cruiser and it’s got me jonesing to make this thing juuuuuuuuust right.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I put over 100 miles in on my Royal Alloy 150 on Sunday and it's both clear to me that this bike is really well sized for me (even with my bum hip that I've been working on, a stop and stretch and I was good to go to head home) and that a 150 just isn't enough to really tour with. I love this bike a lot and am still waffling on whether to just make it my city rider and pick up an ADV bike or something similar when I have some cash or to leave this thing stock and trade it in towards a 300 whenever they become available.

I've been riding it around a ton before that too, but on shorter trips. I wanted to be sure the engine was nice and broke in before I kept it at high throttle for long-ish distances.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Reddit is terrible, but I love to see people I don’t have to feel bad for making choices.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

It is unironically cool and good to ride a scooter as fast as you can while you listen to Immigrant Song.

(usually about 35 mph, depending on traffic)

It is equally cool and good to ride a Harley at very reasonable speeds listening to the most twee poo poo you can stand.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 22, 2022

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

goals

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

God that looks fun. Hell yeah, goon.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Probably! But scooters never stop being fun, even when you’ve got something bigger. My favorite scooter rides are after periods where I’ve been riding my Harley a lot.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I mean, once I sell the Roadster and get the Bonneville that I'm going to do my long (for me) rides on, I think the next addition to the garage needs to be a absolutely garbage moped.

Our partner just started working for the scooter/Royal Enfield dealership here in the neighborhood part time, so I'll even have the inside track so I can get the exact level of lovely I'm craving.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

You may never crave more power. And that is more than fine.

Personally, even once I did it didn't make riding my scooter less fun. It was just different flavors for different tasks or moods. There's still nothing that gets you across town better than a scooter (other than an ebike, I mean).

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

You take up more real estate visually than the Ruckus will, so you’re on the right track. All the neon in the world won’t stop someone with both their eyes on their phone, but it does help.

A good thing for your nerves when it comes to this stuff is to take the MSF even though you don’t need it for a 50cc. They teach a lot of the principles that’ll keep you safer in traffic and give you emergency drills to practice to both make you safer and give you confidence when things go wrong.

The worst accidents you’ll see are usually someone freezing and grabbing a fist full of brake.

You’re on a nimble little bike, so swerving to avoid things will be easy if you practice. You don’t have a ton of mass, so emergency stops will be pretty easy if you practice. Practicing is legit fun, will make you safer, and will give you the confidence to use what you’ve learned so you don’t freeze up in the moment.

I’m excited for you. We have a rare snowpocalypse happening here, so I’m living vicariously through you a bit at the moment.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I think it depends whether you’ve got a local retailer/service center to help you out when/if there’s problems.

A cheap, Chinese scooter can be fine if you’ve got parts and support available.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

knuthgrush posted:

Your spaceship is pretty.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I got a leather tool roll I didn't hate from Etsy and a cheap tool kit from Cycle Gear and put what I thought was useful in there.

knuthgrush posted:

I am a nervous man.

Honestly, riding anything on two wheels is a huge help in that arena for me. I have to pay attention to everything that's going on, so my brain can't be inventing new things to be anxious about.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Saw someone on a Royal Alloy Facebook group asking about the availability of a trike conversion kit and I just needed to share that with other people who would appreciate how dumb that question is.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Got to give this electric conversion old Vespa a spin.

Hilariously overpowered for its size with straight garbage drum brakes. Terrifying, tbh.

10/10 don’t change a thing you’re perfect

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Took my Royal Alloy on one of the twisty roads near here on a lark and did it at about the same speed on a 150 scooter as I do on my Bonneville T120.

Mostly because it couldn’t go any faster.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I really love it. It’s a bit form over function since it doesn’t have any storage, but that gives you an excuse to put racks and cute bags and poo poo on it.

It’s a Chinese scooter and I know that brings all those reliability questions, but the warranty is good, I like my dealer (at this point we have a member of the household working there), and the only issue I ever had was with the trip odometer and they fixed without a problem.

Even with my peek behind the curtain at the shop, they’re not the scooters they complain about having to fix for weird reasons.

2500+ miles on mine. I still think it’s fun as hell and the only times it won’t start are when I’ve left the kickstand down or thought I flipped the kill switch, but didn’t.. It’d have more miles than that, but I am still in the honeymoon phase with my Bonneville.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

EdsTeioh posted:

Raaaad, thanks. This thing legit has 315 miles on it and dude is *asking* 1800. Think I'm gonna jump on it.

I enjoy the poo poo out of mine, but I have been told that when you’re replacing the battery in them you can arc it super easy and you could fry the harness. Make sure they didn’t and that you don’t.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I’ve never had to gently caress with the battery, so I really don’t know. The main mechanic at the shop where our partner works has just seen it happen often enough to mention it.

This could be a case of a very specific dumbass not learning from the first time they did something, but if I can share something that could help a fellow goon I’m gonna.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Our partner who works in a scooter/Royal Enfield dealer and used to own a bicycle shop for a decade (closed because he was tired, not because he "failed") is that the electric scooters are great! But they're expensive and you get way more scooter for way less money going gas. The price ratio just isn't even close yet.

It seems to still be in the "paid too much early adopter" stage.

For now, cheap gas scooters or an ebike are probably the most economical options. I think it's kind of hard to tell when the tipping point will happen unless it's forced because the existing options are so cheap and easy to make.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

If someone gave me one of those massive BMW scooters, I’d ride it forever. I ain’t paying those prices unless I win the lottery, though.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Depends on the roads you’ll be traveling.

A 50cc (that isn’t a two stroke) is going to max out at around 30 mph. That “around 30 mph” is going to vary depending on your weight, the way the wind is blowing, if there’s anything remotely uphill, etc.

If going 25 or so is viable for this trip, then by all means it can make sense. If the speed limit is 55 and it’s full of semis? Less of a good idea.

A 50cc is what I used as a gateway drug to bigger bikes and I absolutely loved it. That was living inside of Portland and sticking to streets that I knew I wouldn’t hold up too much, though. I mainly rode on bicycle boulevards where they try to discourage too many cars from driving on. Especially when I knew I had to climb a hill.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

If you have trouble finding gear you/your kid like, Revzilla is pretty great about returns as you’re narrowing down sizes.

Helmets are definitely better bought in person, though. Other things you can guess based on sizing guides more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The tilt sensor drama is maybe my favorite part of the whole video.