Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Yeah, there's differing opinions out there on modular helmet safety, but I'd say any helmet that has moving parts is going to inherently be less safe than a helmet without them. But that doesn't mean it's unsafe, especially at the speeds you'd likely be doing on a scooter.

I use a modular helmet myself, and I really really like it. It's really nice to be able to flip up the bottom to get some air or take a swig of water or whatever. Mine's an HJC CL-MAX. Looks great, feels great, thankfully haven't had any opportunities to test its safety. I did read a crash safety article comparing it to a handful of other helmets (some modular, some not) and it came out quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Admiral Ballsack posted:

I know that everyone is looking to buy a scoot on the cheap, but you can buy a running reliable vintage for around $1500, and one that looks good too for around $2000.
A new buddy 125cc (if I remember correctly) costs $4000. I know those Chinese 50cc are $800ish, but if you're willing to invest a bit more, you can get one made of metal instead of plastic, and won't shatter when you bump into something.
I'm not trying to be a dick. When I first decided that I wanted a scooter I looked at getting a new one because I assumed that vintage would be more expensive. Head over to scoot.net/classifieds/ and see what's for sale in your area.

Nobody here is looking at any chinese scooters. The cheap scooter is a Honda Metropolitan, which is hardly unreliable. Not everyone wants vintage, so yeah, you are being kind of a dick.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Stoic Commie posted:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1764659979.html

Whaaaaaat I want one.

Oh man. I am so tempted to have my mom pick that up for me... she lives super close.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Wow, I never even thought about the fact that at my height I might not be able to ride certain scooters. I only have the Metropolitan right now, and as someone else in this thread noted after I posted a photo of me on it, it looks huge when I'm on it. Guess a Stella will not be in my future!

Z3n posted:

Use the newb wave for scooters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloT-TahbiQ#t=0m45s
:haw:

Oh man, I totally do that. And scooter drivers around here rarely even respond to it.

In other news, I drove to work the other day and then unexpectedly ended up needing to trade vehicles with my boyfriend. This meant that I rode the scooter home wearing my boyfriend's jacket and helmet over a knee-length chiffon dress and heels. It was... cold. And I'm glad I didn't crash.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Z3n posted:

This is standard attire for scoot riders in santa barbara. Minus the jacket. :(

Yeah honestly I see a lot of poo poo like that here in Chicago, too. Only we don't have helmet laws, so they usually don't have a helmet either!

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

All that said I fuckin' love my Stella, it's a way more rewarding bike to ride and to own than my Vino 125 ever was. I knew going in that buying a Stella would be buying me into a hobby with more depth than riding (that is, becoming an amateur scooter mechanic).

In which way is the Stella more rewarding than the Vino? Simply in the sense that you've put more into it?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Anybody have experience getting a title for a scooter? I've been dying to get an '84 Honda Gyro for awhile and found a pretty great one for an awesome price, but of course the title is long gone. Scooter's in WI, I'm in IL and have no idea if this is gonna be worth it to go through the process of titling it. Thoughts?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

In WI its not even worth messing with the DMV, as they're notoriously impossible to get a title out of.

I dont know if IL is the same, but if it is, this is your best bet: http://www.its-titles.com/

I've used them a few times, and they work great. Tacks a fairly significant cost onto your purchase price though.

Hm, alright, thanks. Anybody else have experience doing this through the DMV in IL?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Tigertron posted:

So I am looking to purchase a 2008 Honda Metro for $800 to replace my Honda PA50II I recently sold as a daily commuter.

Couple questions. Am I getting a steal for the price?

Second what are the odds of getting away without insurance in CA like I did with the moped?

Depends, how many miles are on it? What condition is it in? You sure it isn't a Metro II?

As for your second question, don't. For gently caress's sake, moped insurance is cheap as hell.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Paco de Suave posted:

I think 50cc anythings should be banned. It's just not enough power for anybody to ride safely.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Here in Chicago, I barely ever even get to go full throttle on my Metropolitan.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

SpannerX posted:

Around here, 50 cc is useless to buy because for just a bit more you can get the 125/150, and you still need a licence for the 50. Pointless to sell 50s around here. In areas where you can drive them with out a license, plate, and hell some places insurance, it makes sense.

I certainly don't think 50cc scooters are appropriate everywhere, but to make a blanket statement like "50cc anythings should be banned" is just retarded. In Chicago, you get free parking, don't need a motorcycle license, and have no need to go above 35mph, so small scooters make plenty of sense.

hucknbid posted:

I'm looking to get a 50cc scooter for commuting about 5 miles to and from work everyday on city streets. I'm looking to spend no more than $1000. Where I live, 50cc scooters get free parking. Where I work I would pay 80 bucks a month for outdoor parking that is a 15 minute walk away from my office. There is free covered moped parking right outside my office.

Anyway, I found a used 2002 Yamaha Vino for $1000, but it's got almost 5300 miles on it. Pics: http://min.us/mvoLY3O

Worth it?

As long as it's in good working order, that is a good deal (at least around here). 5300 miles isn't bad.

Melicious fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 13, 2011

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

If you watch motorcyclegear.com and other sites, you can get a good full-face helmet for $70 or less, good gloves for $30, and a good jacket for $70. Basically all the time, year-round. Boots and pants don't seem to get discounted as nicely as often.

Yeah, back when it was Newenough.com, I got my armored mesh for $60 there. I had tried it on in a store where it was selling for more than twice that. Think I also got my modular helmet for around $75, which was also about half of what the local shops were asking.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Cached Money posted:

Yamaha Vino sounds like what you want.

This, or a Honda Metropolitan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Danknificent posted:

I did it :toot: but it turns out that even though I don't have to title it, apparently I have to go to the DMV to pay sales tax. I don't mind paying, but I don't like going to the DMV :negative:

Anyway, thanks for the tips, thread. I have never ridden anything like this ever so it's very scary, but I think the Honda was the right call. I took a picture after I got it home:

Hooray, congrats! I miss my old Met. Some dipshit rear ended my boyfriend at a stop sign years ago (he was fine, amazingly) and totaled it. We have a Vino 125 now and it’s great, but I am a tiny person and frankly it is just too big for me.