Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Yay, new scooter! Just picked up a blue 07 Yamaha C3 for $1200 on Craigslist, only 2k miles.

Click here for the full 1024x1280 image.

49cc, fuel injection, 115 mpg, 9 gallons of underseat storage. Feels about as fast as my old Honda CH80, does at least 43 indicated on a straightaway.

I tried to play "How much beer fits inside Nate's new scooter?", but I don't have enough beer to fill it. I'm guessing it'll hold at least 36 cans of beer if I ever have that many on hand:

Click here for the full 912x684 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
So I'm gonna be taking a little road trip on my C3 in a few weeks, and I'm curious: how many miles a day is realistic on a 50? I've done a lot of pretty long stuff on a motorbike, but never on anything that basically tops out at 40 MPH.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
So I was wondering. Do many scooterists stick audio systems on their scoots? How many extra amps can the average 50cc charging system handle?

I'm leaving on my Yamaha C3 tomorrow to go from LA to Washington state to see my girl, and it should take me about 4 days, and man, it would be nice if I could have an audio system that didn't require me to screw with earphones. I've gone through more earphones than I can count, and I figure it doesn't take much to drown out the wind at 35mph, so could I get by with some cheapo speakers and a tiny amp to hook up my mp3 player to?

edit: like one of these?

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Has anyone had some issues with grip weakness after a lot of scooter riding? I'm on a road trip, and a couchsurfing host fell through, and I ended up basically riding 36 hours straight, and now my grip strength feels super weak.

Also my rear end and back hurt, but that's a pretty obvious consequence.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
So I'm taking my C3 home from Seattle back to LA, and I'm trying to plot a route home, while avoiding some of the serious elevation issues I had on the way up (20 mph top speed? Holy doesn't like thin air, Batman), and I'd basically like to just follow the coast all the way home. What portions of the coast highway aren't legal for a 50cc, and is there a way to determine that while looking at the (google) map?

Also holy poo poo, no one carries tires for this drat thing. What the gently caress.

edit: and by no one, I mean no actual store that I can walk into and buy a 120/90-10. Hope I have enough rubber to go another 1200 miles.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Friggin Joe posted:

Every now and then a scooter will get attention from a stranger in a parking lot. That's cool.
What annoys me though, is the occasional closing comment along the lines of "it's good for around he block."

Your damned feet are good for around the block.
Scooters are good for commuting when all you gotta carry is you and a few small things.
"Scooter" apparently means toy to not take seriously regardless of your traveling requirements, size or displacement of the scooter, whereas even a 125cc Motorcycle is series bidniss.
Granted it is a toy, but a useful as hell toy. :P

I'd call inner-city travel on a 50cc or suburban commuting on a 125+cc smart, but wtf do I know.

I have discovered a useful solution to this. Step 1: buy scooter. Step 2: take it on a goddamn road trip. Step 3: gently caress you buddy, this scoot has seen the world.

Also useful for when some weekend biker dentist on a Harley alludes to one of my Japanese bikes not being a "real bike".

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
So I'm changing the oil on my Yamaha C3, and the manual says I'm supposed to use "10w30 class SE motor oil" in the final drive. That can't be right, can it? I can't even find anything labeled "SE class" at the auto parts joint, and isn't scoot tranny oil supposed to be like 75wt gear oil or something?

VVVV Nice, thanks man. I guess go with what Yamaha says is the plan.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 31, 2012

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

That's 12 bottles of wine inside a Yamaha C3. Scooters own.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
I'd ride the hell out of that thing.

Hell, I have an old Elite 80, and I was thinking about turning it into a Tiniest of the V8 Interceptors for a Max Max thing I go to every year. 8 tiny exhaust pipes and fake front supercharger and everything. So compared to that, a Bat-Scooter is downright respectable.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
So I just started a really stupid project.

I had an old Honda Elite 80 that I wasn't doing anything with, and also a 440 Jetski that I wasn't doing anything with. And I was drunk one day and thought it would be funny to combine them into the world's only street-legal Jetski.

Just started the project yesterday, so all I have is a few pictures of me and my friend Scott pulling the 440's motor and the scooter's bodywork:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101718372240085.1073741825.3429344&type=1&l=5e1e4b00e6

I think maybe this needs a thread.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
So far the plan is to basically stick the scooter mechanicals inside the jetski.

It's looking like we're gonna have to extend the scooter frame a bit to deal with the ski's extra length, but we'll probably be keeping all the scooter bits original: wheels, motor, tranny, etc, in the interest of keeping it technically street-legal and also swapping in new mechanical stuff sounds like a lot of work.

edit: THE THREAD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563995

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 8, 2013

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

leica posted:

What's up scooter goons. I've been looking to get a scooter for a bit now and have been eyeballing the yamaha C3. Looked at one today, an '08 with just over 3k on it in excellent condition. Tires are a bit worn and probably needs a battery, but it includes a helmet, fairing and cover and he wants $950 for it. I'm thinking it's a pretty drat good deal and I should probably jump on it. I haven't read anything bad about C3's and the main reason I like them is they are fuel injected and liquid cooled. They look kind of cool too in a weird way. Any reason I shouldn't jump on this deal?

[edit] Got it :v:

Jump on that. I got a c3 a while neck, and it was the most reliable grocery scoot ever (12 bottles of wine inside that trunk!), until I turned it into a jetski. It's still reliable, just not great for groceries.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

leica posted:

Haha how did you turn it into a jet ski?

Basically sawzall'ed out the bottom of a Kawi JS440 body and bolted it to a naked C3.

Here's most of the build process: https://www.facebook.com/chopsbailey/media_set?set=a.10101718372240085.1073741825.3429344&type=3

and here's what it looks like now.

(yes, that is a dildo gas cap. Someone donated it and we did the best we could.)

There was a thread about the build, but I think it died. Gonna make a thread for the next transformation, wherein we turn it into a Russian nuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Why is that, anyway, that scoots all seem to have centerstands instead of kickstands?