Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Can anybody tell me anything good or bad about the 2002ish Audi TTs? I'd be interested to know more about the manual ones with the 1.8T. What's common to fail on them, parts costs, are they good cars? Do they have lovely electronics like I hear about VWs of that era? Can people over 6 feet tall fit in one (coupe, not convertible)?

I know very little about them, father in law is likely buying one and they've always been a curiosity. They're a little too bubble shaped, IMO, but everything else seems decent...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

double post.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

edit: didn't see new post above

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

yes but then selection will start being limited so you might have to compromise on model/option/color

Is there anything worth getting on the 2018 vs. the 2017? I'm looking at test driving a sport with a manual.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Sport model is gone for 2018
different front bumper
led tail lights
6yr/72k mile bumper to bumper warranty (2017 has 3/36 b2b and 5/60 drivetrain)

That sucks. It's so much cheaper than the SE and has the poo poo I want and none that I don't. (sunroof, audio poo poo, etc) drat that warranty though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

What's with the sunroof apathy? poo poo's nice yo

I only want a sunroof when it isn't sunny, when I rarely ever drive. Also prefer headroom.

If I want open air, I'd buy a convertible.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Speaking of electrical issues, has VW ironed out most of the stuff by this point? Was there a good break point (for GTI's in particular) where most of that isn't a problem? I don't know if it's just some bias or whatever but I thought the 90's to mid 2000's weren't great.

I've never owned a German car for fear of all that poo poo breaking all the time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Would you guys pass on an 07 GTI DSG given this info:

-Former R&D test car for Mitsubishi engineers to use for benchmarking/competitive testing for the Evo in 2008.
-very low miles (44k)
-DSG fluid has never been changed
-Original timing belt (I can do this, but it would be a pain I'm guessing. No prior VWs so no special tools owned)
-Broken front spring (I can replace struts, this doesn't worry me much)

Sounds like it runs well but maintenance hasn't been kept up and I worry about the rental car style beat down the car likely suffered at the hands of the Mitsu engineers.

At what price would this thing be worth it to you, assuming it runs well and the test drive goes ok?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It's priced at $7200 but he's flexible.

Is the cam follower thing overblown? It doesn't sound that hard to check it and replace, but that doesn't really fix the problem since you'll just have to keep doing it and the HPFP possibly it sounds like. Anything else to scare me away?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

If it's that low of mileage it might still have the og cam follower that there was a recall for.
If so VW might still foot the bill foot getting it replaced since it was a manufacturing defect that necessitated them being replaced in the first place.

I thought it was only a TSB, not a recall. If it's a recall, there's no time limit on when you get it fixed I believe.

I decided to test drive a 17 GTI Sport w/DSG, it was a pretty nice car. Car seat fit pretty well (better than my truck for getting in and out), and I really liked the seats. Lots of bolstering but comfy. Suspension felt good, couldn't push too hard because it was wet yesterday. I was really impressed by the transmission, I didn't know if I'd like an auto but it seems like the best of both worlds, and snappy. The steering wheel has too many buttons and the controls feel odd but it is something I could get used to I'm sure.

On paper it fits my needs pretty perfectly. I just need to decide if I'll actually spend the money on it. :shepspends:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

~2002 Passat 1.8T FWD. Looking at changing the clutch in a buddy's car. Does anyone have experience / suggestions to share? Is it doable in a day or two? I've got a garage, reasonable set of tools and some experience, but haven't done a clutch in 15 years, and that was a Miata (which is super-easy).

It's a fwd, so probably miserable. Do you have triple square bits? I know vw likes to throw those in randomly.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm planning on buying an '18 VW GTI sometime next year, and I'm debating getting the summer tire option for it. Does anyone know what summer tire the GTIs come with (like for any MK7)? Are they good tires or not? I've driven all-season tires my whole life, but I wanna go to a 2 tire set lifestyle, so I'm wondering if the second set I buy should be good winter tires or if I should get good summer tires and keep the all seasons for winter.

I live in Illinois where it does actually snow on a regular basis, so a good set of winter tires would be beneficial, but if the summer tires VW gives you are crummy, the all seasons should be good enough.

FWIW, the MY17 GTI Sport I bought came with all seasons and there wasn't a summer tire option that I know of. I just bought a set of winter wheels/tires to swap and I'll replace the all seasons with summer tires when they're worn. But for now they'll be my "summer" set.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yeah, I think I saw it the order guide.

https://www.emichvw.com/assets/misc/9890/PDF/2018_VW_Golf_GTI_Order_Guide.pdf

It looks like you have order it from the factory with summer tires, which is probably what I'm going to do anyway. GTIs with stick shifts are hard to find at dealers around here. :shrug:

Interesting. Surely there's a price bump by doing that, so consider the fact that you can get a 2nd set of wheels/tires for <1k (depending on your tastes, obviously). If it's not a terrible deal and tire it's not a bad idea.

For snows you'll want 17's (or 16's if you get the S trim...brakes are smaller so smaller wheels will fit over them) anyway, so it's better than being locked into using the OEM 18's for your winter set. Snow tires are cheaper in smaller sizes being the reasoning.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Etrips posted:

Is that the only reason to go a smaller size?

A taller sidewall (less wheel means taller tire assuming you're going for the same overall diameter to keep your speedometer accurate) helps make the ride smoother. Think of it like adding another soft spring to your suspension, basically. Taller sidewalls will protect wheels better from potholes as well.

In snow you generally want a narrower tire to have more bite (narrower tire = more force on a smaller contact patch and it actually gives better traction, counter-intuitively). You don't have to do this part though if you don't want. I wouldn't be looking for like 5-6" wide wheels just for this purpose. You'll have plenty of grip with the right compound tire, you just don't want super wide track day wheels or something.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m glad to hear it all worked out and you didn’t blows thousands of dollars chasing an electrical gremlin down a rabbit whole.

Sounds like exactly what happened. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

Sorry if Im dumb but is a downpipe after the cats or before, I cant remember? I do wanna do an exhaust but Im terrified of drone since my friends Boxster drones like mad and its super annoying. Plus like quality catbacks Ive seen for the S4 are like $2000 which is kinda urrk

Oh yeah and just to be clear, this was a very uncommon issue and hasn't really turned me off Audi as a brand at all. I'll be more than happy to keep the car for years now if it continues to behave.

It's right after the turbo on turbo cars and probably contains the cat (most newer cars try to put it as close to the turbo as possible). Look on youtube for clips. Most DPs don't cause drone, just a little deeper sound and is probably the biggest power gain for the money (besides tune).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Uthor posted:

I remember reading about a less expensive VAG-COM alternative years (?) ago. What was that? I wanna look into it again.

Answered in the other thread, but it's OBDEleven.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Must not be driving the car hard enough if you aren't using that camber. :getin:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Kinda sounds like it could be a leaky injector to me also. No o2 sensor codes? FPR might be a step in the right direction since it sounds like pressure is bleeding down which causes the hard start when cold.

When you say "throttle snap" do you mean tipping in or tipping out?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Cellular Suicide posted:

That makes sense, I’ll listen to the injectors and see if any of the ticking patterns sound irregular. Is there any merit in using fuel injector cleaner?

I was thinking that you may have one that's leaking even when it's supposed to be closed. Would explain the fuel pressure bleed off, too. Might explain the high idle and surgey stuff as well. Is there any way to adjust the idle speed (idle screw)?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Depends if it's a crack or just needs a gasket in there. Probably a crack given the age. There's probably some dirt cheap and lovely ebay "header" you can put on there that will fit terrible but maybe seal if it's cracked. If the crack is in a reasonable spot that can be booger welded, just take it to an exhaust shop and see if they will lay some beads on it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Diametunim posted:

Never though I would be asking an oil change related question but here I am.

For my GTI that drinks unicorn blood (5w40) I buy it online. Local walmarts here didn't have much and the euro blend doesn't meet the spec for me. They say you can use 5w30 but I'd rather give it the right spec stuff.

Shopdap usually has VW stuff pretty well covered, but shop around since amazon might be cheaper.

https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...052-577-m2.html

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nermal. posted:

A dude just sold me 4 almost new OEM S5 Peelers (the wider 19x9 concave ones... not the flat 8.5s that come with S4s) for $350 total. With Michelin Pilots.

What an idiot.

They were probably stolen. Or if they weren't, you did now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

Just picked up a 2016 GTI, and was looking to get the hatch pop kit installed. It seems that the keyfob isn't unlocking the rear hatch though, so it says I need to program that in using VCDS. Is the $200 Ross-Tech VCDS unit the only one I should get, or is there something else that's not so insanely priced?

edit: Specifically, anybody used this OBDeleven unit for reprogramming poo poo on VAG cars?

I've used it for minor stuff. But haven't messed with the hatch specifically. Works fine. Lots of stuff is in German so I just followed internet guides on stuff. It's pretty much the same path as stuff for VCDS.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The valve cover quote seems absurd unless the valve cover is also the cam carrier, which would explain why they'd need timing tools, etc. I'm not familiar enough with that engine to say, but this is pretty uncommon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

My air bag light went on about a week ago. 2011 golf 2.5 4dr, auto.

I was wondering if it was the clockspring issue but can't seem to find a good list of symptoms online. I have a base model so no buttons on the wheel to test, but my horn still works.

Is it a sticky alert? I.e. could be intermittent and occurred once, and would need to be cleared?

I just got this notice in the mail yesterday. It said for the clockspring issue your steering wheel controls won't work AND the airbag light will be on. Obviously presents a problem testing it for you.

If you have the issue though the light would be on permanently since the wire is severed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry can you answer these:
  • Does the noise occur when the car is moving or stopped?
  • Does the noise occur when you use the brakes?
  • Does the noise occur when you're turning?
  • Does the noise DOES occur, does revving affect it?

Also where is it coming from, general area? You can hear it from outside, but front, rear, left, right?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Are you sure you're out of warranty? If that's a dumb question I apologize, I'll never own a new vehicle so I'm totally unfamiliar with warranty periods.

2014 is likely out. Most are 3 year, 36k bumper to bumper and slightly longer for powertrain. VW just upped the powertrain in 2018, but it used to be the same as the bumper to bumper (3/36k).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Do you guys have any guess on how much the DSG transmission oil (and filter) change should run at a dealer or other shop capable of doing it? That appears to be due this year on the TTS.

I remember my brother did it on is '11 GTI and it was a bit complicated and required so e sort of tuner or diagnostic tool.

If it's similar to a MK7 GTI then it shouldn't be too bad (I plan on doing it myself). You need the tool to see the transmission fluid temp, which you can accomplish for like $50 with an OBD eleven dongle. Some dudes try to do it cheaper without that and just measure how much comes out vs how much they put in, but I personally wouldn't do that, especially when it's not that much to do it "right."

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 15, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

While that's probably close enough, my OCD likes peace of mind.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I replaced the diverter valve on my mk5 GTI and I broke the retaining part of the connector that fits onto it. I have it held on with zip ties atm just to be secure but is it easy to replace the connector or should I have my shop do that when they change the oil next week?

Electrical connector? Generally it's a bit fiddly to depin a connector and swap it but doable if you have tiny screwdrivers. Otherwise maybe the replacement would just have you cut off the old connector and crimp/solder the wires to the new one. Pick your poison.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

antisodachrist posted:

I have checked youtube and other places and there is a way by hammering an oversized socket, but that seems excessive.

This is usually the answer + an impact gun.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My A4's sunroof exploded on the way home from work today. Shattering glass all over me and the rest of the interior of the car. Maybe the most terrifying experience of my life.

So... That's fun. Apparently it's a not uncommon bizarre phenomenon. No rock or bump just spontaneous explosion.

User name/post combo :discourse:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Summer tires in the winter? That's like a dusting of snow, howwwwwwww

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

My 17 GTI has it and the 18 is still the mk7 so I’d be hard pressed to believe they changed this mid cycle.

18 was a bit of a refresh though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

With multiple IAT sensors and coolant temp sensors, usually a start after an 8 hour soak will be able to tell you which one is not like the others and set a code. I don't think that's his problem. Secondary air shouldn't have anything to do with the IAT stuff as long as the diagnostic is running in the first place. Can you try that drive cycle 3 consecutive times (with an 8+ hour soak in between) with no other driving in between? I know that isn't easy if it's your only car, but worth a shot.

It's probably just VW cheating emissions again. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jamal posted:

You can reset the oil change reminder but not the service due thing as far as i could tell.

I had to use obdeleven to turn it off. So silly.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Glad it worked out. Hope you don't end up with a shitload of interior rattles down the line from all that work, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Deviant posted:

okay okay i'll get em once i wear this set down closer to end of life

fuckin $250 a corner jfc

I like bang for buck tires (19's are always going to be stupid expensive, but they were like $18X each on TRI think)and have heard good things about Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. Buddy put them on his GTI and really likes them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My buddy with a GTI just sent me this. Affects both of our cars. :geno:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/23/vw-recall-rollaway-risk-679000-cars/