Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
I'll bite; I've got a question about my 05 BEW Golf that'll soon hit 80K.

Overall I'd say I know how to do routine maintenance, but I know when I'm getting in over my head (engine replacement, body work that doesn't look like rear end).

For clarification, I've done my own fluid and filter changes, gasket replacement, brake + tire work, and electrical system diagnosis on many different vehicles.

With the proper tools; is the timing belt job (water pump and all the goodies) possible for someone like me?

I've been in touch with a local guy from TDIclub and he seem to know what he's talking about (wants to look at the cams for wiping) and he charges $250 less than the local VW dealership, but I'd really like to learn it myself.

Also, how different is removing the BEW intake manifold from removing the ALH manifold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm glad this thread popped up because I'm looking at buying a Jetta TDI. Kind of like Hairy Ape I'm trying to get a feel for what I have to look forward to if I do. I've read tons of reviews and such, but I'd really like to hear from folks how deal with them every day. How is the long term reliability? Are there any weird gremlins that have shown up after everyday use? I guess, in general, was it a good purchase?

I bought an 05 Golf TDi with 72K on it this past January and I have to say I love every minute driving. My fuel economy is around 37-40mpg (I also have a lead foot), there is tons of space, the interior is nice and roomy, the ride is smooth and the handling is very responsive. Top it off the engine is logically laid out and everything is pretty easy to work on. It may have 100hp under the hood, but 180 lbs of torque really is a blast.

I'd say it was a good purchase, but there are some gremlins to watch for. The ride height is low, the oil pan sits below the subframe and is made of thin aluminum. VW corrected this, but beware in earlier MKIV's; budget in a Diesegeek skid plate or a redesigned VW oil pan. The master door module, drivers side, can break and that's a $250 part. Also beware of the thermostatic valve in changing the fuel filter and not every auto parts store carries VW spec 505.01 oil.

Check out TDIclub or myturbodiesel.com. They go into much greater depth.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

Neon Machete posted:

Does putting universal green coolant in your 2.7t really damage the engine that badly? Cause I bought one pre-owned and the "G12 ONLY" was rubbed off the expansion tank...now my coolant system is leaking every which place and starts steaming up after five minutes of driving. Did the green stuff eat through all my hoses or what?

Mixing the green coolant with the G12 pink stuff causes sludge in the coolant system. I believe it will also eat away at the seals and wreak havoc on the coolant thermostat.

Flush it out and put in a 50/50 mix of distilled water and G12 and look for leaks. Budget in a new thermostat and seal replacement.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

Here's something that's been bugging me for the past couple of days. I just had my 05 BEW Golf's timing belt changed about a week ago (the 28th) and everything was running fine until this past Sunday.

Sunday morning rolls around and I can't start my car. The starter motor is cranking, it sounds like it's going to start, but the car doesn't start and I almost run down the battery. I throw it on the charger before I head to work. I'm thinking either the fuel pump has gone or the anti-shudder valve is shut or the TB job is off. Get home, put in the battery; car fires right up. Since Sunday evening the car has worked normally, but I pulled a trouble code of P0864 off my OBD2 scanner. Even weirder, before I unplugged the battery, the trip meter, radio and clock reset themselves and it has never tripped a CEL.

Is the battery going or is the car possessed/just a VW?

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

Well I figured out what was wrong with my car.

Few months ago I took it into a dealer to replace the door module and they found the battery failed the amperage test.
I thought I could fix it by just filling the cells with distilled water. All was good.

Until it did the same thing this morning (but triggered a CEL with the same error code). Eventually I got the car started and the battery replaced.