Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Calling water pump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Has its own wiki article, thanks for posting so I could read about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_currywurst

I told my friend who was shopping for a new Taos at a VW dealer about this, and when the sales manager asked what they could do to sweeten/close the deal, he told them that the currywurst must be included. They had no idea what he was talking about, haha.

Guaranteed that Wiki page has had a couple more hits in the past couple of days

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I need to replace the rear pads and rotors on my 2019 RS5. I’m looking at using GiroDisc pads and rotors. Since I’m changing to different types of pads and rotors compared to the front, do I need to change the front as well as the rear? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that it’s recommended to change the front and rear at the same time if you’re changing compounds.

The front pads are at 6mm so they still have a fair bit of life left.

You don't have the ceramic rotors do you? I'm not entirely sure if changing both front/rear is required if changing pad compounds, but since it's an RS5 I'd go full hog and get a set like this with your pad of choice: https://www.034motorsport.com/dynamic-plus-braking-package-b9-b9-5-rs5.html. These seem cheaper than GiroDisc from what I could tell and 034 Motorsport is one of the most trusted VW/Audi aftermarket brands.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

No ceramic rotors.:( I bought at the height of COVID lockdowns and CCBs weren’t available due to supply chain issues.

I’m going back and forth between the 034 and Girodisc rotors as it’s only about a $50 difference between the two sets for me locally.

I think I will get the front and rears done at the same time. I had already planned for it so it’s not a surprise expense.

You are probably better off with conventional rotors as the ceramics are much more costly to replace. I've heard of folks having some screeching problems with them until they warm up, too I believe.

Sounds like you can't go wrong with Giro or 034 all around. I would do the latter just cause I love their products and customer service.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently Audi’s CCBs are pretty good as far as noise goes but yeah, if something happens to one of them it’s $12K per front rotor.

Gotcha, I test drove one with CCBs and noticed no unwanted noise, not sure if it's a winter thing or not. Might need the 034 tune with your brakes (I am a bad influence)

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I already have their ECU and TCU tune. :)

The only real world benefit of CCBs I can think of for most people would be the reduced unsprung weight.

Next step: we need pics :D

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Inner Light posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007IBSDJY/

I have so far used this: Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil 1 QT. I think I saw the dealer using these Valvoline 1qt bottles when they were out of the Audi branded schmoo from I'm sure a similar refinery.

I might pick up this fancy Liqui-Moly if I stop by a parts place sometime, thanks for the recommend.

Love me some Liqui-Moly as well. You can grab oil change kits slightly discounted from ECS Tuning and FCP Euro if you feel like shopping online.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

I traded in my 17 a4 and got a 21 s5 sportback over the weekend

Loving the car but anything I should worry about with it?

Nothing I can think of. The only non-maintenance-related work I had done to my B9 A4 without my choosing was when the water pump/thermostat housing gave out it was leaking some coolant and needed to be replaced. I would imagine the S models use the same setup but not 100% sure. Enjoy it - B9 S4 owner now so I can help ya out. Advice 1: tune it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Celexi posted:

VW/Audi Exorcism Thread: do you have a vag reader?