Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

my1999gsr posted:

If you have the proper tools you can easily change your t-belt, water pump and tensioner on your BEW as long as you remember that a diesel engine's timing has to be dead on before you start it. Typically when I do a diesel t-belt I paint mark the belt on the cam in 2 spots and on the crank in 3 spots to help confirm the timing is correct.

It may be the way you worded it but just to be clear please tell me that you don't paint mark timing belts on an ALH. I've never worked on any PD belts so it may be possible to do them properly with marks.

I also have a question about my car (95 GTI VR6). When the engine is cold (just started) it will buck and missfire (its still driveable but its very annoying) until the oil temp reaches 190ish or hotter for more than 20 minutes or so. Ambient temp does not affect the situation. Then when its warmed up it's just not as fast as it used to be. It feels like it is bogging until 5-6k rpms then vtec kicks in. I don't get any codes beside the one for the SAI since it was removed. Does this sound like a MAF failure? My other thought is the IAT or coolant temp sensor and I plan on replacing them anyway since the car has 195k on it. The MAF is expensive because its obd1 and I won't replace that unless it is suspect.

I can also help with some questions in this thread, especially ALH TDI ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

Ok, on to your VR6. We've had a lot of VR6 engines with complaints like yours that ended up being bad injectors - poor drivability, bogging, misfires and the like. Without being able to watch your MAF numbers it's hard to pass or fail it but a bad MAF usually has a fault code associated with it. Same thing with the ECT - when they go bad they usually throw a code for an internal short or something similar. Do you ever have a MIL on for misfires? Your symptoms sound like a failing MAF but you're right - they're expensive to replace unless you're sure. I forget what it looks like on the VR6, but does your FPR's vacuum hose look ok? If your car were in my shop, I'd hook it up to the 5 gas analyzer and see what the emissions look like when it's running crappy - once you know if it's a lean or rich condition you can move ahead.

Thanks for all the info. I had planned on having the injectors sent out to be cleaned and flow checked before I drive it again so hopefully that will eliminate that possibility. The MIL is on only for the SAI, I've checked it a few times hoping for a code for something that would help me diagnose. All the vacuum lines are in good shape since they are one of the things I always replace when I first get a car. It runs eye-burningly rich.

I thought of one other thing since my post this morning. I need to replace the lifters as they are making a lot of noise. Do you know if that sound might affect the knock sensors and pull the timing? It retards something like 11 degrees if a knock sensor is tripped and I thought that also may be the cause of the bogging and slowness. I have not checked the sensors with a meter yet but its on the list of stuff to do this summer.

You had me concerned with the paint marks but that does sound like a good way to check the tensioner. I always just looked at the needle and v-mark after turning it a couple times to make they were still lined up.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

KillerFuzzball posted:

This might be going a bit far back in time for this thread, but what are you guys' opinions about working on this thing? Worth it?

Yes. You will have tons of fun with it just make sure its not too rusty.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Triikan posted:

Leaky A4

There is a big drain under the battery that was clogged and causing the passengers side to get wet and ruin the trans computer in my 97. Check the sunroof drains too. They are inside the front of the door jambs and made of rubber. Squeeze them and see if anything comes out. You can also run string from a weedwacker through the holes around the sunroof to really make sure they are clean.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

I have a 2008 Rabbit 5-speed. I've noticed when I open the door after the car's been off, I hear a very faint motor whirring for about a second. It's done it since the car was new, so I presume it's normal - I'm just curious what it is. Any idea?

Its the fuel pump.

elzergone posted:

Hey cool, thanks for doing this thread :)

I have a question. I have a 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro, with an engine that isn't so healthy.

What 5 cylinder Audi's are potential donor cars? Googling has brought me nothing but confusion.

Thanks!

That car isn't worth an engine replacement so you should just give me the car for proper disposal.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 3, 2010

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Is this common with 02 Jettas?

I was going to just drive it up on ramps and jack the engine up and try to put the bolts back on. Unless of course the bolts broke or something. I left it at a shop this morning, hopefully they can fix it quickly.

I heard something fall out of the engine bay...Then leaving from a stop light THUD THUD THUD THUD

Not my car if it matters.

Did he just have the timing belt done about 12k miles ago? I don't know for sure on the gassers but on the TDIs the engine mount bolts are torque-to-yield and are one time use only. A lot of techs overlook that fact for some reason and put the old bolts back only to have them break. On the TDIs it sometimes takes out the timing belt and the top end of the engine.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

I thought the sludging was mainly an issue with the longitudinal 1.8Ts.

It is, not so much with the transverse. Very true about the tensioner, 60k belt changes to be safe. 2003-2004 weren't bad compared to the earlier MK4s but I would never buy one again besides a TDI or R32 where its worth dealing with the problems.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Autism Sundae posted:

Another noob question, do 2.0t engines just run really hot? I have the fans still going for 30 seconds to a minute after I turn the engine off, and that's after a 15-minute drive in normal summer weather (75 degrees or so). Engine temp gauge is at its normal reading of course.

Its normal. My 87 Scirocco and 95 GTI do the same thing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

If your going to be working on a newer dub a set of triple squares is a worthwhile investment.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

The VR6 water pump can GO TO HELL. Seriously, get a Bentley and read the instructions. I'm guessing you would get a kick of the, what, 4 lines of instructions they give you. It seriously makes zero mention of detaching the loving engine from the car.

No kidding, Ive done just about everything to a VR6 except the water pump (in the car) and I dread it. Mine is weeping too. It makes me weep.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

OK, today we disconnected the entire air filter/metering/fuel regulation assembly from the throttle body and ran it. Still no real change, although it continues to work when cold. We're thinking the cold start injector doesn't switch off properly and ends up running the engine stupidly rich and drowning the thing in fuel. Unplugging the control pressure actuator sensor doesn't seem to do much of anything.

Multimetered the o2 sensor and it seems to be acting properly, indicating what I assume is closed loop operation since its voltage is oscillating regularly.

Going to try disconnecting the coolant temperature sensor - apparently the sensor we disconnected on the "big" coolant line was not in fact the coolant temperature sensor. That sensor's wires, though, are kinda frayed, so it might be replaced anyway.

I think it might also be the check valve on the fuel pump, but that should surely come with the replaced fuel pump I imagine.

Starting from the top:
If you suspect the cold start injector, unplug it but I don't think that is the problem anyway.

A bad 02 sensor will cause it to have a wonky idle, but not die entirely.

It is not the check valve, that will only cause hot start problems.

It is possible that it is the CTS but most likely it is the warm-up regulator, that thing with the fuel lines going to it that is bolted to the engine block. Reference the shop manual (Bentley) for the correct fuel pressures.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

SwashedBuckles posted:

This may not be the right place, but does anyone happen to have a VAGCOM cable and SW for a B8 Audi in MA? Apparently all it takes is 10 minutes and changing one bit to make my passenger side mirror move down when in reverse. My last car had that feature and it makes parallel parking so much easier.

I had to look it up and mine doesn't work on can-bus cars like yours but if anyone needs VAG-COM in northern CT for non-can cars your welcome to come use it as long as your not really crazy or anything. One of the coolest things I did with it was to make my windows roll up and down with the remote on my B5 Audi (when they weren't doing it on their own) plus checking codes, ect.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Humdrum Hoodlum posted:

Additionally, as the VR6's use a timing chain, when do they need replacement? From what I've seen online, people only replace them when they start making noise typically.

My only experience is with MK3 VR6s and I'm not sure if the (12V) MK4s ones are exactly the same but the tensioners and guides are done for at 150k miles whether they are making noise or not. The last one I did was a 96 with 160k-ish miles and the upper teflon-coated guide was wearing through into the tensioner, quietly. The upper tensioner uses oil pressure and I can only imagine that the chain would have cut far enough into it to release the oil pressure and tension and it would have jumped time. In short, the 12V VR6 chains are NOT lifetime and I wouldn't wait for them to make noise.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Exitlights, here is the best I can remember from the last time I did it: The piece all the way to the left next to the headlight switch pulls right out. Then take out the switch out by pushing in on the tab you uncover by removing the piece on the left, pull it straight out and unplug it. After that take the air vent out CAREFULLY by pulling it straight out, I use pliers covered with cloth to grab the horizontal vane to do it. Then remove all the screws that you uncover and take out the panel that is in the way. I think you have to unsnap it from the panel that goes around the gauge cluster, IIRC. After that you should be able to get to all the nuts that secure the RF module.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Opensourcepirate posted:

My 98 Jetta TDI is leaking (what I assume is) diesel from the engine whenever it's running. I think it would be easiest to tell you where it's leaking from by telling you what it's near. On the side of the engine facing the front of the car, kind of near the top, there's a series of little braiding hoses going from injector(?) to injector all the way down the line. I've had those wear out and leak before, but the new leak is slightly below that. So slightly below that, there's a black plastic(?) thing that goes down to a little metal thing that looks kind of like a nut and goes into the engine. It's kind of bubbling up from where one of those meets the engine.

That description was so lovely, I'll post a picture.

Click here for the full 1394x933 image.

So what can/should I do about this leak?

Its probably leaking where the nozzle screws to the injector body or the washer that seals the injector to the head (most likely). Either way the injectors need to be taken out. If they are still the original nozzles and you have more than 100k miles on it they should be replaced anyway, along with the washers. They wear out, the fuel doesn't atomize as well anymore, hot spots in the bowl in the piston can happen and things can get all melty.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Beta Ray Bill posted:

More questions about my 1997 Audi A4 quattro. I've been having starter issues for awhile, I've now replaced the battery, starter(solenoid) and starter wire, and it still won't start. Sometimes it clicks, sometimes it won't do anything. I found a ground strap that was broken, could this be causing the issue? I bought a new ground strap and am about to replace it. Any other ideas on what would be causing this issue? Thanks guys

Did you get the recall done on the ignition switch?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Most aftermarket ECU tunes are going to be within a pretty close margin. It's mostly about availability and price. When I had my APR tune they had the option of having a personal tune done there in case I ever decide to mod the car more. Wasn't worth the extra money to me as the tune is pretty much the only thing I'll ever do. But if you plan on putting a bigger turbo or other things like that, you might look into something like that.

On that note Rocketchip offers free upgrades if you change nozzles, turbo, ect. He is kind of hard to get a hold of, however.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

get out posted:

My Wife's car has developed another issue. Twice today, when turning right, the battery light will come on, and the vehicle becomes difficult to turn. What is wrong this time?

Was it raining? Mine does this sometimes when I hit a puddle and the belt slips.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

If its a diesel and has been taken car of even a little that is a huge steal.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Shadowhand00 posted:

I found a 2004 R32 at the dealer. The problem is its slightly steep going for 15888. Do you guys think I would have room for negotiation? Its in fairly good condition - been in 2 accidents.

Also, any thoughts on the 2004 R32 would be appreciated.

The problem with R32s getting in accidents though is even if its a really bad one they still repair them because of the high book value. Like Dropshadow said, walk away from that one.

You should still get one though. I had one and it was one of the most fun cars I have ever driven and the sound can't be beat. The maintenance can be expensive if you haven't looked into it yet. The Haldex fluid needs to be changed every 40k miles and requires a special $120 tool (last I looked) if you do it yourself. The brakes are fairly expensive to replace and so are the tires. Its worth it though, so worth it. I'm sure my1999gsr can think of more, its been years since I had mine :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Shadowhand00 posted:

That being said, i found this little gem on craigslist:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/2027759205.html

Other than the high mileage, it sounds like there must be something seriously wrong with the car....

That HAS to be a scam or it doesn't have an engine or something.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

rope kid posted:

Hey I finally own my R32! It only took six years! :w00t:

56k miles. Other than someone jumping on the hood, someone raising the hatch into a garage door while it was on jack stands, and a cracked oil pan, all has been well.

loving sweet! Nice car. I used to have a blue one. Personal preference but nothing looks better on them than the original Aristos.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Does anyone know the common reason for the MKIII gauge cluster failures? Mine just quit working :smith: I hope its just bad solder joints.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

It's usually bad solder joints. Sometimes it's a case of poor connections at the plug for the cluster too.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Frankees car is a VR6.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It is, I think my1999gsr was thinking that your car was a 4 cylinder and in that case it would have a timing belt driven water pump.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

mediaphage posted:

The V6 2.8.

Edit:

Haha someone came in and offered more, so I guess the point is moot. :)

I hear the V6 ones aren't too bad but I had a 97 1.8t and it was the shittiest, costliest car I've ever owned so you got lucky. Quattro was super fun in the snow though (those times when it would start below 50 degrees).

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That's great that they did the control arms too. Those are fairly expensive and they go bad on every A4. Good luck with it, they are really nice cars when everything is working as it should. Just make sure the climate control (if they had it in 96) display works correctly, you probably came across some people that had problems with them if you are reading a lot about A4s.

e: Oh, yea. Check under the battery to make sure the drain isn't plugged. If it is make SURE to check under the passenger side carpet to see if it is wet. The computer for the transmission is under there and after it gets wet enough times its destroys the computer. Also check to make sure that the transmission isn't slipping going into 2nd gear mine had a problem with that at only 58k miles.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 11, 2010

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

My drain was clogged with leaves and such though. I bet that one is clean though because your right, that car was actually taken care of.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

PoopinClumpin posted:

Here's a dumb question. Where is the battery on my new car? It's a 2010 Audi S4.

There doesn't seem to be any exposed wiring or other evidence that the car even has one, with the exception that the car starts and runs fine.

The manual says the battery is meant to be serviced by Audi, but I'd still like to know where the hell it is.

On my older one it was in the cowl at the base of the windshield.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Mister Duck posted:

I had the exact same thing at 40k and was told it's not covered by warranty since it requires replacing the whole intake manifold.

I complained about it, seeing as I don't particularly understand how the hell that is not part of the powertrain, but I got nowhere save a few hundred bucks off.

VWoA was also no help, but that may depend on who you get on the line.

What the gently caress? It's not covered by warranty because its too much work? VWOA is so lovely.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

If I recall correctly, VW was only doing 3/36 warranties on their cars in 09, so that's why they aren't warrantying it. The "powertrain" warranty usually doesn't cover stuff like that. It's not just VWoA that does shady poo poo like this though.

Ah, I thought the warranty was longer for 09. Still lovely that they wont cover a part of the engine on the powertrain though. Subjective I know but it seems I hear the most bad things about VWoA warranties.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Opensourcepirate posted:

I've been pretty happy with my 98 Jetta TDI so far. Happy enough that I'm considering upgrading to a 2002 or 2003 TDI in the future. But if Honda/Toyota sold a Diesel in this country I'd be all over it.

You should do that soon so I can buy your 98 :D

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

movax posted:

Dumb question: my A4 actually got itself stuck in snow the other day, ended up needing some friends to help push me out (embarrassing AWD failure :argh:).

If you got stuck in the snow with a quattro equipped car it was 100% your fault.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ok, if there was ice under there I'll let it slide (no pun intended) this time.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The dealer should have them.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I'd call first but they should have something like that in stock.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Break4Gold posted:

I have a 1998 VW Jetta VR6, i got rid of my Cat and i failed inspection because my car failed to reach readiness status for the cats. Now my question is, can i over ride the system to reach readiness status manually with a scan tool? and also can i do it with any scan tool if its possible, or would i need a dealers scan tool?

Just put a cat back on. There is no way to fool the computer that it's missing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

My Jetta is gay.

All Jettas are gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Quattro will ruin every other AWD system for you. Its incredible.