Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Autism Sundae posted:

^^^^^ What do you have, a Jetta?

What does it sound/feel like when the secondary pump comes on?

It's fairly loud - like a loud fan sound. When it shuts down you'll hear a high pitched vacuum-like sound that tapers off. It really should only come on when the car is cold anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

OK, this is a little tougher to diagnose. First, we need to figure out why it never warms up. Do you have any faults or a MIL light on? Also, has your S4 been in for the ignition coil recall yet? That it idles poorly is pretty strange - does it idle better when you've got a tank full of ethanol?

Maybe it's the coolant temp sensor? Just a wild guess.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
What does your place charge for a timing chain job on a '01 VR6? I'm almost at 90k miles on mine and would like to change at around 100k.

I can do it myself but I may not have the time to do so as I know it'll take me at least 2 days due to never doing it before. (just trying to get some cost estimates vs a DIY job)

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

It looks like we charge 6.5 hours plus parts for the VR6 but that's purely a book time estimate - we don't have enough VR6's on the road for any of us to be fast at replacing the chain on them. Figure 7 hours at $89/hr plus parts plus a little more time if there's seized bolts or any other unforseen problems. Do you have a particular reason for changing the chain? Unless it's acting up they're not a part we replace often or ever.

It'd purely be a preventative measure. Engine runs like a top and is quiet (other than the normal VR6 noises). I'm typically paranoid about any car I own and I do a lot of preventative maintenance when possible.

It's not the chains I'm worried about, it's the chain guides. I probably won't bother with them until I hear some rattling due to broken guides.

Your price isn't bad, I've seen unofficial quotes of over 2 grand with parts.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

Remember, I'm only quoting from my VW "suggested repair times" catalogue and I've never personally done one (unless you count the VR6 engine in the Touaregs) so my time quote isn't gosphel although $2000 seems a little steep even with parts.

I'd say the touareg counts... not like the VR6 design is that different between the variations. Thanks for your comments; much appreciated!

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Blackdawgg posted:

Sadly MKIVs are getting old enough that they have too many miles on them for me to comfortably want to buy one. Jettas seemed to be the worst but you could argue they sold a ton of them. But they all seem to have one maintenance issue or another that if left unchecked or unheeded will ruin the car. With my MKIV Passat it was the engine sludge issue. Mine ran great because I put on a big oil filter and used good quality synthetic oil. But I certainly wouldn't want to buy one now not knowing what the hell the previous owner put in.

85k miles on my '01 GTI VR6 and no issues at all. Find a good one that has been cared for and you'll be fine - just like any car.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

primitive posted:

Will lowering springs cause premature suspension wear in my car? I have an early 2007 GTI, and the stock springs for that car make it look like a minivan. The switch to the lower ride height happened about a month after my car was produced. What I'm wondering is if I switch to springs that lower me to late-07 OEM equivalent, do I risk premature wear to any other parts of the suspension that might be tuned for the higher ride height?

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_6_8697_19901_19918_19919&info=Eibach_85100.140_Pro-Kit_Springs&products_id=1849

Coil overs.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Sepist posted:

'00 Passat VR6. I was driving about a half mile from my house, the car hadn't even warmed up yet and the temperature light went on. I pulled over, restarted the car, light was off. about 100 feet later the light comes on again, the car is halfway between cold and operating temperature, I decide to drive it home and take the gf's car. The light goes off by itself and stays off on the way home and doesn't go above normal operation temp.

Should I be concerned? I'm thinking thermostat was stuck closed but I've never seen this before.

What color is your coolant temp sensor?

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Is it really true that the US didn't get manual quattro A4s for that generation? Here's a pricey 1.8T with AWD and manual:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/1738314503.html

I had a 1997 2.8 Quattro A4 with a manual years ago.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

I'm not sure about the Quattro being a wear item - I've only replaced one unit ever and that was due to a seal failing and the diff fluid escaping. It's a shame the US didn't have a manually shifted Quattro - I just take it for granted that most of our A4s are both Quattro and manual. Any Audi that comes into my shop that isn't AWD is considered a "welfare" Audi, aside from the A3.

My A4 quattro was a manual. I've seen plenty A4 quattros that are manual here in the US.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

insta posted:

VW's use a lot of XZN sockets, Torx, and metric bits. Plus, a lot of specialty tools, pins, levers, etc. They're a pain :(

Have you ever worked on a VW? I can do most work on my GTI with basic tools. Sure there are some specialty tools/sockets that may be required but many cars require special tools depending on what you're doing.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Do you have any advice on changing a water pump in a Mark IV VR6? I noticed a small coolant leak and it's coming from the pump area so it's time to change it out. It could be the crack pipe as well but I won't know until I tear into it. Car is an '01 GTI with 87k miles. I'm going to change out the belt tensioner as well.

If you have anything that will save me time or aggravation, I'm all ears/eyes. Thanks!

(edit: oddly enough it's not leaking anymore and I have no clue what I did. I'm still changing it out this weekend though)

wav3form fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 15, 2010

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

Do you have a Bentley? If so, ignore it. The Bentley says something absurd like "take off the serpentine belt, remove the water pump bolts, remove water pump, reinstall water pump." It's like 2 steps. You're going to have to either drop the engine or raise the engine up. Best way is to remove the dogbone mount and the passenger side motor mount and then raise the engine up with a jack. May God have mercy on your soul, because this is a ridiculously hard job for something that is easy on any other car.

I wouldn't change the water pump unless you were ABSOLUTELY SURE it was leaking. The crackpipe and water pump are really in two different areas, and as irritating as the crackpipe is to replace, it's a million times better than the pump.

Well i'm getting a small leak from the pass. side and that usually means the water pump. If it were the crack pipe it'd be more center I think and the thermostat housing is fine.

It only leaks some times and usually after I run the AC so it could be just a hose but I will probably change out the pump regardless because I have nothing better to do.

I did my own control arm bushings and I think the water pump will be easier than that. To me it looks easy anyway plus i have a good DIY someone wrote up on vortex.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

coinstarpatrick posted:

Anyone know how to get the side window covers off an MKIV? I have a feeling they kind of rotate forwards and off. I busted my passenger side cover pulling out of the garage, thankfully not damaging any of the inner workings of the mirror or glass.

There's an access hole on the bottom of the mirror and a metal clip inside the housing. You have to yank out the mirror to see it. Poke a screwdriver through the hole and the metal clip and pry the screwdriver handle towards you and lift up on the cover. May have to fiddle with it as you lift up on the cover but that's the jist of it.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Why didn't VAG recall the VR6 coilpack? Pre-24 valve engines. There are a lot of failures due to the housing cracking and letting in moisture.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
I just successfully changed the water pump in my '01 GTI (VR6). No leaks and everything still works. Scariest part was jacking the engine up but so far so good.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

The VR6 water pump can GO TO HELL. Seriously, get a Bentley and read the instructions. I'm guessing you would get a kick of the, what, 4 lines of instructions they give you. It seriously makes zero mention of detaching the loving engine from the car.

Yah I have a bentley and you're right. I think it's a good manual to have but it's useless for jobs like this.

If you're careful it's an easy job but I couldn't have done it without the DIYs posted at vortex. Some of the tips given saved me some time.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I agree that people yell loud about the DSG issue, but you don't see any Camry needing its tranny serviced or replaced prematurely. Even my1999gsr has noted how big of an issue it's become for VAG.

My friend has an older camry and everything has failed on that thing. He doesn't drive it too crazy but it's probably just due to age and poor maintenance.

My VW hasn't given me any trouble but I tend to be very proactive about maintenance because it gives me something to do and I don't have kids so I have the time and money (usually) to do so.

I guess I don't give the car a chance to give me problems and it's almost 10 years old but I also don't complain when I do have an issue. I just fix it with a hopefully better part and drive on.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Hatebreed posted:

300HP at the wheels... or crank? Schrick makes a 268/264 grind that swaps in fine (or a 264/264 if you're feeling rowdy), intake will be ~300 USD with minimal gain, ~800 USD exhaust system with minimal gain (go magnaflow/borla), ~800 USD Haldex 2.0 module install + switch for non-competition modes, HPA or GIAC DSG tune (rev limit increase, staged launching), ~600 USD for whatever ECU tune you like. So far you've invested about 5k and you're not much faster. Turbo kits and the like from C2, HPA (FT-XXX kit) and other companies will run somewhere in the range of 9k for barely 350HP. Save your time and money because I've been down this road before with a MK5 R32 and it's just painful. Remember, everything IS just a bolt on, except for that delicious sounding cam.

I can't tell if this is the cause of the speaker or just superior german adhesives, but I've stopped driving my car until I can get everything fixed. Fed up with this typical vw poo poo.

Plus it's more frustrating when you get smoked by someone in a 6k dollar Z28 with standard LS1 bolt-ons. Sure the VW has style and german je ne sais quoi but in the end it gets annihilated by Toyta Camrys. Nothing sounds better than a VR6 though.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Water pump it is. And I've gotten quotes ranging from $388 to $670.

I also just learned on line that it is normal to change the water pump out when you change out the serpentine belt.

I changed the serpentine belt out as preventative maintenance in, I'll say, June or there abouts. No one mentions the water pump to me. Maybe they don't know, I don't know. About two months later a bearing goes out on the serpentine belt tensioner... shreds my new serpentine belt. New tensioner, new belt, etc. sets me back about $400 I think. No mention of the water pump. Again maybe they just don't know to check it, maybe they did and it was fine.

Now the water pump goes a couple of days after I get it back from the shop that has had it for a month jerking me around with the MAF, Cat. Conv., throttle, etc. That garage tops off the coolant while I was there. This leaves me to wonder did he know the water pump was bad and he was just tired of fighting with me over the other stuff, that he just wanted me out of sight out of mind ASAP.

But it doesn't matter.... I guess...

I'm going to have put about $3000.00 worth of stuff into this car this year not counting normal oil changes and the like.

I think this is the last thing I'm doing. Time to drive it til it dies.

I changed the water pump myself on my '01 GTI VR6 before I sold it and it's usually done at the time the timing chain and components are replaced. I changed it because it was leaking and used a Graf pump with a metal impeller.

It wasn't a bad job but you do have to jack the engine up quite a bit (at least the way I did it) and that can be a little unnerving if you've never done it before. Took me a couple hours to do.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

I hear the V6 ones aren't too bad but I had a 97 1.8t and it was the shittiest, costliest car I've ever owned so you got lucky. Quattro was super fun in the snow though (those times when it would start below 50 degrees).

I had a '96 2.8 quattro and it was an excellent car.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Hidden under shittons of plastic. I just replaced the battery in my GLI a few weeks ago and it was a giant pain in the rear end.

When I had my '01 GTI I got so used to taking off 5 things to get to one thing that nothing bothers me anymore when working on cars.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Mister Duck posted:

Trying to change out my rear rotors/pads on my 2009 GTI and I simply cannot get the goddamn M14 bolts on the caliper carrier to come off. I am completely lost in what to do. I tried a breaker bar with a pipe on it to extend it, but there is like no goddamn room in the wheel well. I sprayed some blaster on it as well, but that didn't do a drat thing.

Thinking of just popping the caliper back on and getting it done by someone unless anyone has any ideas on how to get this drat thing off.

Are they the triple square bolts? You may need a shorter bit or get the car higer off the ground so you can use the breaker bar from below.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Mister Duck posted:

GTIs are made in Wolfsburg as far as I know. I believe the GLIs are as well.

My '01 GTI was made in Brazil.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Mister Duck posted:

I guess that was only MKVs then.

Ah ok... I know if the VIN starts with WVW it was made in Germany.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

mykel posted:

I'm in the market for a new car. I test drove just about everything under the sun, and currently topping the list is an Audi A3.

I also test drive a fully-loaded 4-door GTI and it was incredible at how much nicer the A3 feels.

I also looked at (and really liked) the Mazdaspeed 3, which is in a different tier, but is also a ton of "bang for your buck."

I'm not a huge car nut, but I do put a priority on an enjoyable driving experience.

My question to you guys is: is the Audi worth the premium, or should I sacrifice a bit of the 'enjoyment' for the much cheaper, but still capable, A3, or GTI?

Get the Audi if you can afford it - it's worth the premium. I like VW cars but I really like Audis even if they aren't much different in this case.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

VR Cowboy posted:

This is perhaps a dumb question, but I wanted to get an answer from another VW tech.

My boyfriend took his MK 4 Golf (2003, I think) to the local dealership for an oil change. When he asked about regular maintenance on the brakes, they said that he should just wear them down to the point of having to replace the pads and rotors at the same time.

Is that garbage advice or is that actually what VW says you should do? I have never heard of anyone recommending to wear anything out to that point, let alone your brakes.

That's garbage advice.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

I have a 2001 Jetta 1.8 Turbo with a bit of an issue with the timing belt. That is, the timing belt broke. I'm getting quoted about 2100 to fix it because they have to check valves and whatever else. My question: Is there an agreed upon best place to sell broken Jettas?

Can't you just get a used head from vortex and fix it yourself?

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Rowe posted:

I have zero experience working on cars. These are heated seats also so I'd have to deal with the heating element or whatever is inside. I'd love to save the $200 but do you think someone with no experience can do the switch without messing anything up?

I think you can. Just take your time and ask for help if you need it... it's not rocket surgery. I remember when I changed out the water pump in my '01 VR6 GTI... I thought, drat I'm gonna gently caress this up. After jacking up the engine almost a foot I was convinced I did but it turned out just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Melp posted:

2000 VR6 Jetta, 112k miles, there's an awful grinding/scraping noise when I rev the engine (also present when it idles, it just sounds like it's grinding slower). It it seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow morning, but I'd kind of like to know what to expect and if I should start looking for a new car. Anyone heard of something like this before?

I had an '01 VR6 (a GTI) and I never had this sort of issue. They're noisy engines but it sounds like a pulley or pulley bearing maybe? Take the belt off and run the car for a short time to see if the noise stops. The short time is so you don't overheat the car since the belt runs the water pump.