Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Oh goody. This never got an answer in the stupid questions thread:

2001 Passat GLX, 162k miles, 5 spd, VR6
What are the likely causes of an ABS fault light coming on on the dash when the car goes over 65 for more than 5 minutes (it's a pretty exact duration, maybe not 5 minutes but it always happens at the same spot on the interstate during my commute)? Once I turn off the car and turn it back on the lights go away and won't come on again unless I go fast. The ABS and TCS both still work at low speeds (even after the fault has been tripped), but I don't have anywhere to test whether or not they work at high speeds once the fault light has come on. Forcing the car to engage the ABS or TCS will clear the fault lights.

Also the passenger side front window will fall all the way into the door if it gets rolled down more than half way. Do the 4th gen Passats use the same plastic clips the Jettas did? How hard is to work on the inside of the door panel. I want to know what I'm getting into before I spend a few hours taking it apart.

Aaaand the check engine light has been on for about a year, the computer reports the car needs a new catalytic converter. We just get the light disabled right before we get emissions checked and it still passes. What are the chances it would pass if the catalytic converter were actually shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

my1999gsr posted:

wall o text!

You are awesome, thank you. I probably won't be able to get the door panel off until the end of next weekend, but I'll post what happens with that and take the car to my local shop to have them pull the codes.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
So now I noticed today that the strut dust boot for the drivers side strut has torn and fallen down, exposing the strut itself. I'm duct taping it up for now, but I'd like to replace it when I get the chance. I can't find one for my specific year from an online retailer, what're the chances that one designed for a '97 will fit?

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

my1999gsr posted:

Hmmm. It's a crap-shoot if a 97 would work. I want to say it will, but I'm not sure. If you like, I can talk to my parts desk tomorrow and see.

That'd be great. It's either that or I get the dealership to order one, but I'm assuming I'll get charged something outrageous.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
MkIV Jettas were shittily made, have a host of random rear end problems, and smell like crayons. You just missed a thread about it. Get a Rabbit or a Passat or a Golf instead if you're going for those model years.

e: As far as I know the Mk3's don't have a lot of the production problems the MkIV's did, but keep in mind you're going to be buying a car that is at least 12 years old.

e:

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

by "those model years" you mean mkIV?

Yes. Those "or"s were a little unclear, so I'll clarify. The Golf's for those years was MkIV, the Passat was MkV. The rabbit was only branded as such in the states until the mid 80's (before being rebranded as Golf), but if you can find one that hasn't been abused they're pretty sweet.

e2: Basically are you trying for an introduction to VW's or a reliable daily driver? I wouldn't be looking at cars that old with that many miles on them of any brand if I were going to be commuting on it. You'll probably be lucky to find a Mk3 Jetta with less than 140k miles on it. If you can find a Rabbit it'll likely have been sitting somewhere for ten years. You might be able to find a MkIV Jetta with less than 100k miles if you're extremely lucky.

tehllama fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 5, 2010