Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2003 2L Jetta.

Doing the engine bay motor mounts- will I need to jack the motor up much or just hold it in its normal resting position? I know some cars you need to lift the motor up to get new mounts on. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly I'm amazed we're still using wiper blades. They've got to be the one piece of car equipment that has evolved the least since their invention. I know there are things like mercedes' extending monoblade but it's the same concept.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hi goons. I'm selling my 98 one off Subaru STI because I have the opportunity to pick up a 2007 GTI, 2dr, 51k kms, fully loaded with leather interior, 6 speed, etc. I'm picking it up for 9-10k from an older relative who isn't driving anymore. I took it for a drive today and was fairly impressed.

Is there anything I should look out for/check in a GTI this new? Any other advice or recommendations? What are the decent forums for these?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

eriddy posted:

That's a pretty sick deal. I have the same car minus the leather interior. I bought it new and up till now I've only had problems with the AC (whole unit had to be replaced), the blower motor fuse went out once, and I occasionally get tire pressure alerts when it's cold out. Consider getting the ECU flashed with APR stage 1, it seriously owns.

What exactly does that do? Increase boost pressure and adjust timing?

E: just read the APR site. Is the common understanding that a stage 1 flash doesn't end up damaging the motor from running lean? Do the headgaskets in the FSI motor stand up well?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 26, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

eriddy posted:

I've had the 93 octane tune enabled continuously for the last 30k miles. I replaced the diverter valve with a more solid one to deal with increased turbo pressure and other than that I have no hardware upgrades. No problems with anything engine-wise and I've done probably 10 full track weekends too. That said, keep in mind you can turn the tune off and on as you like. The reason I promote the ECU flash is because it adds so much hp and torque for such a small cost.

That's really helpful information, thanks. Is there anywhere I can look to see actual data about what the changes are (boost pressures mostly)? Are supporting mods considered worthwhile for stage 1?

Do you have to be careful about upgrading down pipes and causing overboost/lean conditions or can the exhaust be modified without issue?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

8ender posted:

Like head gaskets on a Subaru the thing that will break and must be checked on the 2.0 is the cam follower. Check it often, replace as necessary, and you'll be treated with a relatively trouble free engine.

More info here:
https://changegears.wordpress.com/maintenance-information/cam-followers-and-oil-changes-a-warning/

Thanks for the link, very interesting read. Thanks also for your time with my many questions. Which oil is actually being recommended by the intelligent FSI community? For a mild climate I guess

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

APR stage 1 is a pretty mild tune compared to other companies. I think its something like 40hp/40torks. Stage 2 is usually a larger downpipe and exhaust and possibly intake. I had stage 1 APR on my 1.8t and it makes a huge difference. Improves your mpg too.

I dunno compared to a Cobb stage 1 it's pretty hefty. Does the apr tune still let the ECU adjust timing if you knock?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How much did you guys pay for your stage 1? Have any of you also gone with the iOS app and the dongle for realtime monitoring/logging?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Explosions! posted:

Help please. I have an 08 Rabbit with 69,000 miles on it and my alternator just took a poo poo on me. Is that something I can fix myself with the power of youtube instructions or should I just pay the dealership to fix it? They want $1000 and I really don't want to give it to them, but I also don't want to gently caress my car up. I'm sure I could find someone else to do it but last time I got a non VW place to work on it they hosed up the power windows (how do you mess those up while you're fixing the fender?) so I'm kinda leery of that too.

OR trade it in to the Carmax next door and get something else.

Trade it in because an alternator went....?

Alternators are like $200. If you don't want to do it yourself just call an independent shop and ask them for a quote, specify you're ok with a remanufactured unit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hopefully selling my Subaru tomorrow and picking up that MKV GTI. Excited!

E: this happened today! And I promptly did a 3 hour trip to whistler in the GTI. It's not suuuuper quick but it's amazing to have something new and it feels fantastic in 6th. So much grip and stability!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 10, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just took my 'new' 07 GTI 3 hours up into the mountains to Whistler BC for a couple nights and back today. What a blast. What it's lacking in raw power from my previous car it makes up for in cornering stability, cruising comfort, and 6speed refinement. Everything just feels so crisp and new. Looking forward to driving it with a stage 1 flash.

No bluetooth is irritating and due to a 07 canbus controller if I put in a newer VW head unit I'll have parasitic power loss. A lot of love for pioneer NEX head units - anyone here have any experience with these or similar?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

eriddy posted:

If you have the ipod dock (a 30pin connector buried deep in the center arm rest) then I highly recommend this thing: http://amzn.com/B00B52LLJ6 It instantly connects to my iphone via bluetooth and lets me stream music/pandora/podcasts. Owns bones.

I'm really going to have to look hard because I don't think I have a connector in the glove box or armrest, but the rest of the car is maxed on options so it makes no sense.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hansolio posted:

If you have an aux in it should be in the glovebox. It would be on the top to the left of the manual shelf. I didn't find mine until I bought a kit to install an iPod connector and then when I found it I returned the kit. If you hold in the CD button it should switch over to Aux if you have it. I picked up one of these: http://www.amazon.ca/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B009NLTW60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426252127&sr=8-1&keywords=kinivo+btc450 and it's worked flawlessly for the past two years that I've had it. It has a usb port in the 12 volt adapter so you can still charge your phone with it plugged in and it has a built in mic that picks up audio pretty well.

Yeah I have a plastic plate blocking off where that looks like it's supposed to go.

I think I'll just go for an aftermarket double-din solution.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

To those of you who went with non-OEM head units, what did you do about finding a bezel that fits neatly around the standard double-din? Just eBay or is there a VW part number or? Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mik posted:

...does it really make a difference?

No because if your foot is on the brake the car never rolls forward to put that force on the transmission pawl.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone have coilovers? I'm looking to spend around $1k on some but it's really difficult to get an objective opinion on this stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is it normal to get that wind reverb thing with all the windows up and the sunroof all the way back? 07 GTI.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

Yes. Depends on the speed and car, but very common.

I've never had this before on my way less expensive/new cars! I guess VW didn't want to take the styling hit that a pop-up wind deflector would have dealt them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Does yours have the 2 stage sunroof? If you let the button open it to max it won't buffet, but if you use the manual part of the knob to open in the extra inch or so it'll buffet with the windows up. I usually just crack the side windows (rear when I had a 4door) and that keeps it from making noise. All of my cars have done it.

I have the dial thing. I just want it to buffet fully open with windows up. I'll check the thing that pops up to see if the springs are soft.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DrChu posted:

What would an average price to pay a shop to change the timing chain tensioner on a 2010 GTI?

Probably 500-750 depending on cost of the part.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

remigious posted:

My 87 Jetta just started doing this really fun thing where I can shift between gears, but it doesn't seem to recognize that I have shifted. So the RPMs keep climbing and I can't really go faster than 30 or 40 :( I'm going to give my shop a call, mostly just wanted to vent.

So you're physically shifting gears in a manual transmission car? If so you need a new clutch, sounds like it's just slipping.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^Sorry I have no idea.

Just put some stoptech street performance pads in the GTI. Have a track day on Sunday, looking forward to it!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unplug the MAF with the car running. If the idle changes, your wires are intact.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've done that exact repair, it's not hard. Pop the trunk open and undo the screws holding the interior carpeting cardboard thing on. Then the lock unit is accessed with bolts.

I got an eBay unit that failed 6 months later, might want an OEM lock if you're replacing it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anghammarad posted:

Soooo, how expensive is a (very) cheap car?

Looking for a car at the mo, and a friend of a friend lets me know her husbands got an audi going spare, only wants scrap value for it (£170):

'99 A6 2.8 Quattro with tiptronic, high mileage (209k miles) but its been fully serviced by a local independant. Reckons he stopped driving it because the manual shift stopped working, and the headlights were too opaque to pass the MOT

minor thing is, he stopped driving it in 2010! Its been sat in a closed barn for all that time with a blanket over the top. Battery was still good, started on the first turn. evrything seems to work ok, and i'm taking it out for a test drive tomorrow to see how the gearbox is holding up.

Bad idea, or BEST IDEA?

It's fine to drive until it breaks but I wouldn't go down the hole of replacing the tranny.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2007 GTI. I have to replace my passenger side rear tire as it's developed a sidewall bubble. The tires have around 50% life left. If I replace the tire with a new one, will the slightly different diameter give me ABS/traction control warnings or anything similar? I'm having a difficult time finding places that shave tires in my area.

e: I'm not going to replace all 4 tires because I plan on swapping rims after this winter to a different diameter and width.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

You should probably replace the 2 rears. Tirerack will shave tires. I learned this because apparently you can only be 4% difference between tires on AWD.

Yeah absolutely with AWD or if this was on the drive axle, but the 07 GTI is a FWD car and this is on the rear axle.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

I'm saying at 50% wear, you might as well just replace the 2 tires on that axle instead of just the 1, unless they're replacing it for free.

Ah gotcha, I misread your post. I'll probably end up just getting the one tire shaved since I'm replacing them all relatively soon anyways.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

Any one have experience with the engine remaps on a 2013 GTI (2.0 TSI engine)? Only stuff I have remapped in the past were Nissans (Skylines, @40SX Pulsar GTiR etc...) and not had any experience with newer ECUs and maps.

Basically people just get an APR tune (https://www.goapr.com) and it's done. I've also had a bunch of nissans and a RHD 98 Type-RA STI V-Ltd which I tuned with apexi power FC and can tell you that the APR stuff is super easy, relatively inexpensive, very reliable, and offers huge gains.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FWIW I've owned four nissans, a toyota, two fords, a subaru, and a VW. Every car has had its things to look out for and threads on forums for common issues, gripes, etc. As cars age and require more financial support there are just going to be issues no matter what. If you're more bothered by this than most people, why not lease?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2007 GTI, 56,000 kms, 6 spd, stock. Had a couple questions now that I've had the car for ~6 months.

1: After driving for 45min+ in 6th gear on the highway, the first clutch pedal depression feels firmer than usual. All subsequent clutch pedal depressions feel normal. Is this just heat soak or something?

2: In low-RPM, high-load situations (accelerating up a hill in 5th or 6th gear, RPM 1700-2600), when I decrease throttle input the car behaves in a way that feels very much like a single stutter/misfire. I'm talking about right after a change from 80% throttle to 40% or similar. Is this the drive-by-wire stuff misbehaving? This never happens in other engine situations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would say it's not so much an issue with new cars but it should be in the owner's manual.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I know a couple people in this thread have or had a mkV GTI/golf. I have a double-din deck coming in the mail and I've heard the double-din surrounds out there are pretty lovely. Can anyone recommend one or am I going to be best served by just buying any of them and having to blend it into the dash with bondo?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm getting error P2271 from my O2 sensor on my 2010 Golf TDI, and the engine update didn't fix it.

I found this DIY guide to replace the 2nd Oxygen sensor.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?990129-DIY-Replacing-oxygen-sensors

Should I go ahead and do it? And why can't I find a cheap oxygen sensor?

FYI these O2 sensor codes are very frequently caused by something other than the sensor. Have you taken it to a shop at all? You could have something like an exhaust leak.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

My wife keeps making the logical point that having a roadster and two children isn't very practical, so I'm starting to look at an 08-10 S5 Coupe with the 4.2 V8. Looks like carbon buildup is an issue, any other things i should look out for?

How big of a job is replacing the ribbed v-belt? Looks like that's needed at 75k.

Are you talking about the accessory belt?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

scuz posted:

The AEG engines that were assembled in Mexico had a problem where the piston rings were labelled upside down, so they were installed the wrong way at the factory and the fuckers would go through oil like Chinese food through my uncle. Mine is an AVH, which was assembled in Brasil and avoided that whole problem. I bought a set of piston rings along with a Fel-Pro engine gasket set that has, I think, every gasket in the head including valve stem seals. If the rings turn out to be okay, I'm guessing it's the valve stem seals. I'm fed up with having to clean my gacked spark plugs every 3 months because of all the oil that's going through the engine. My catalytic converter's days are likely numbered if I can't fix this soon.

I need an air compressor to do a leak down test, right?

Could use a bike pump to do a leak down test as well I guess but it's a cheap enough thing to get a shop to do.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

What are some "cheap" upgrades I can make to my car? I've had my car for a few years and I think I need to breathe some new life into it.

What car?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Oy! 2008 GTI 2 door.

Get the stage 1 APR tune.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

movax posted:

Getting a misfire detected / Cylinder 1 misfire code at 160000km, and I replaced my plugs for the first time earlier this year. Thinking that leans towards a coil pack issue? Haven't ever replaced those on this vehicle (A4 2006 2.0T).

Also had a tire blowout -- how much truth is there to keeping all 4 tires matched to keep Quattro happy? Obviously one has to be replaced, but I figure I can do my front two + alignment all in one fell swoop.

How old is your fuel filter? Is the code coming back after you clear it? Does the car stutter under heavy load situations?

If the center diff is anything like a Subaru it doesn't take much of a difference in diameter for it to cook itself. Tire rack shaves tires if you wanted to replace the one but if all are fairly worn you might want to do all 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you HAVE to get the fix that reduces your MPG?