Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Any huge problem spots if I'm considering a 2003 Jetta 1.8T? The engine is picky about oil, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I wish they'd brought the 2019 S6 Avant TDI here :smith:

this would sell even less well than the RS6

edit: test driving a Mk.VII Golf Sportwagen S 4motion on Friday, any of you goons have experiences? I see that Alltrack sunroofs are all hosed up but I am not getting a hole in the ceiling.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Deviant posted:

I know my mk7 R has 4motion, is a bad beast and I'd buy it again tomorrow. Dunno how much that helps.

It helps a little, one of my goals is to crank up the 1.8 to a respectable ~220hp and do some suspension fuckery so I basically get an AWD GTI wagon.

How is the haldex 4motion experience? where are you located (for weather purposes)? I have only driven subaru AWD for real and I want to know how much i can indulge my WRC fantasies in the wagon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

~my wife~ is stoked up about the panoramic sunroof how bad of an idea is it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

only way to get the pano sunroof was on a $32k SE with the driver's assistance package so that got killed off right quick

S manual with some accessories in silk blue with a tan interior, $25,475 including destination and delivery

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

Yeah dealer fixed mine and it works like a champ.

Tbh if you read about ANY car with a sunroof this is a possible issue. Not saying that makes it better, I am saying that its a risk for any car fwiw. Some just happen more than others.

But I love my car (SportWagen with pano sunroof) so I guess that’s how you get suckered for anything really

Edit: do NEW cars have a factory warranty on it anyway? I would think it is covered under manufacturer defects. I bought used but you can find my story earlier in the thread. After the class action lawsuit and recall on early sunroofs I would hope VW straightened their poo poo out.

Also find an Alltrack community. There is deffo a forums community with Alltrack enthusiasts and mechs to help you.

Thanks! I did not get the sunroof as the delta in price was like 20%, not worth it and now I don’t have to worry about it. It would have been covered under the 6/72 warranty but recurring issues of that complexity are a pain.

For what it’s worth - VW is particularly bad at sunroofs, as is JLR. No, most other OEMs do not have water ingress problems with sunroofs necessitating a class action lawsuit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The E63AMG wagon is like six thousand dollars more than the sedan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's not a profit-motivated decision if that's what you're trying to figure out

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think anyone has ever devised a reliable air suspension and if it's happened my money is not on our friends in Ingolstadt.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you have a shop with a lift and a couple grand worth of special tools I say go for it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I remember when the 991 first came out, there was a video walking you through replacing the air filter.

It required removing the bumper cover, among other things.

I don't have good luck with body clips, so it didn't look like a fun job.

SERVICE

POSITION

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

Ok I test drove like 6 different cars today and the golf sportwagen was my favorite by far. The 1.8 did seem a little anemic but it seems like a tune isn't too hard to arrange. If I can find one without a sun roof would I be nuts to put it on a 36 month lease and use it for work, hauling ladder and tools for 3 hours a day in traffic?

Are there any other big bug bears with this car? How long do I have to decide to do this, with the wagon being dropped by VW?

you have very little time unless you are willing to go with the alltrack. i couldn't find SW 1.8 4motions with a manual transmission in my area and ended up having to buy the alltrack, which was fine. The FWDs are 1.4, the 4motions are 1.8. if you are in a pleasant climate don't bother with the 4motion.

What are people's thoughts between JB4 and APR?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Etrips posted:

JB4 if you want to keep your warranty.
APR if you want a decent flash tune.
Custom tune if you want something more specific for your car and what mods it has.

yeah i have the 6/72 warranty and it's a daily so was thinking JB4. thank you for the confirmation!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah having some second thoughts because i am not totally convinced that just feeding fake data to the ECU is a good idea and it sounds like both a pain and also that i could still get warranty denied

i'm more concerned about the haldex system than anything

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The EA888 is pretty growly due to DI only and some variable lift gear. I assume the engine isn't actually dieseling of course.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's a kind of boring lump but it gets the job done while not being very fuel efficient. i think they're pretty reliable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DrChu posted:

The 2.5 had 55 more horsepower than the 2.0 and was rated about 1 MPG less, I think that trade off would be well worth it.

that's more about the 2.0 being a loving awful piece of poo poo than the 2.5 being any good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i just used mine for the first time today and i'm a fan. kept my box of selzer cans from sliding around back there.

but i think you probably have to resurface the mat if they get too worn down

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wow you have a vastly different definition of "low risk high reward" than i do

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SchrodingersCat posted:

I checked the maintenance record on carfax, within the first 20k miles they replaced the engine wiring harness, camshaft sensor, long-block(!!), Brake rotors, wheel bearings, struts, shocks. All within the first 18 months/20k miles. To be frank, that looks to me like someone who wanted to get their car labeled a lemon so they could get out of it. In the 25k miles since then, only routine maintenance, and an o2 sensor.

Listed for 21k and I could likely get it for 19.5.

haha god speed you credulous lunatic

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SchrodingersCat posted:

I am pretty dead set on an R but I am slow playing it a bit. It's going to be a daily, I am likely going to drop an APR stage 1 low-torque on it but I don't track or beat on my cars. All I can find are cars with red flags or poo poo like Carvana where you can't negotiate and get RIPPED OFF on the trade-in.

also: gross

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i mean if you're a yooper you might want AWD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Etrips posted:

I mean I commute 120mi round trip and do fine when it snows with dedicated snow tires in the GTI. Granted, I don't get Michigan type snow.

in semi it snows like 40" a year which is a hilarious joke yet everyone here thinks its the fuckin arctic

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

betterinsodapop posted:

All I know is that everybody in VT drives Subarus, and they are AWD. Purely anecdotal, I realize. But those maple sucking bastards do get a lot of the white stuff.

that's where i grew up, town of 600 people, lots of mountains, 3 paved roads, lots of trees. we had a subaru and also a bunch of 2WD stuff. the 2WD stuff is fine unless it's actively dumping. everything had winter tires from like Oct 15 - April 30.

moving to the midwest is funny. people here seem to love AWD and hate winter tires. AWD helps you get going and lets you be a little less aggressive with some momentum conservation, but most of michigan is flat as gently caress and it snows about 1/3 as much as where i grew up so i question the usefulness. the reason AWD is useful in rural mountainous areas is because a) getting started is harder and b) snow doesn't get cleared much on back roads. if you live in like Oakland County MI (or like Concord, NH rather than North Conway) you don't need AWD for your daily commute. if you're driving on I-91/I-89 through Vermont, you don't need AWD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i will say it may be slightly hypocritical since i bought a Golf Alltrack with snow tires, but that was because you need to get AWD to get the wagon with heated seats and a manual transmission

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mom had to get to the hospital for work, otherwise we wouldn't have had one

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

they experimented with that a bit and it was such a stunning success that they are killing off the Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack entirely

subaru is selling a lot of foresters (tiguans) and outbacks (vaguely alltracks?), not a lot of imprezas and legacies

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Keep in mind that in car stuff is heavily certified and tested and developed years in advance - it has to deal with V&H and temperature extremes, as well as last significantly longer than most consumer grade electronics, so it will never look as good or be as modern.

A guy in my office's parking lot has an e-tron and it looks pretty dope. I prefer it to my friend's Model 3 from interior and exterior appearance perspective, but I ought to considering it costs about 50% more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I mean, wouldn't the direct comparison between the e-tron and a Tesla be the Model X, which costs way more?

the e-tron is closer in size to the model x but it's still 5" shorter, and a couple inches narrower

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

What was the fix on them? Did they add urea to hit proper emissions?

software only, i believe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

good color choice greeb. is it a stick? i could only find black and white manuals so had to settle for alltrack.

i would keep the drat thing stock since work vehicle but whatever you do you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lol the vortex is coming from within the thread

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh by the way an APR stage 1 will absolutely void the powertrain portion of the warranty unless you find a very forgiving dealer. it won't void any of the rest of your warranty unless your dealer is a dick - eg if the head unit goes, it will still be warrantable. but if you have an APR stage 1 flash and there's an issue with the mechatronix unit in the DSG gearbox, you are gonna get hosed.

APR does offer their own supplemental powertrain warranty on one version of the stage 1 product - you basically pay extra money for their warranty coverage. dunno if it's worth it, but i did get that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

your wheels and tires would be 24.4" vs 24.9" stock. my simple head tells me you're moving the center of the wheel up 1.4" but then you get to cut about a quarter inch due to smaller overall diameter - so you need at least 1.15" clearance around the wheel well in the current state

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the a/s3 is good but the nerds in the bmw thread have had a hard time with them recently

well i think its just kotex in fairness

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Styles Bitchley posted:

Man I really want a newish Rabbit GTI but my Mk6 has been good to me. Hows the Mk7.5s or whatever doing now? I have one the the last German GTIs and even after like 6 years it doesn't rattle inside and has held up really well, though only 65k miles on it.

you might get more response in the hot hatch thread

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’d gladly pay $60 more a corner for a PS4S/PSS over a DW, having lived with both.

same but probably not on a golf wagon

my golf wagon is gonna wear the stock summer tires until they wear out

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Uthor posted:

I read that you have to pull the bumper to get to it. That's why my car flashed a yellow light at me every three seconds with the same intensity as low fuel or coolant for 5+ years. (the fill sensor went bad, I blame Rain-X)

the good (?) news is that for german cars that's service position so it's not too hard to do

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Guinness posted:

The Alltrack ticks a whole lot of boxes for me (reasonable size, manual trans, AWD wagon) and it seems like it's a last-of-its-kind vehicle, but water intrusion is a really serious problem that I don't want to gently caress with.

This was what swayed me, and the water intrusion was in part why I got a S. (The cash in the pocket didn't hurt either). You're giving up HIDZZZ, real leather, auto climate control, and a bigger screen up front. The only thing I miss is auto climate control somewhat, and HIDs although the stock halogens really aren't bad.

There is no actual permanent fix for the pano sunroof problem. I am inclined to think that this is because it's a seals and torsional rigidity problem. The opening is very large and thus the opportunity for uneven twisting forces across it is high. The dealer will "fix" your car under warranty and there is a good chance it will either not be fixed correctly or it will develop a leak again.

greeb those wheels look good, and you got the best color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if I ever want to replace them i'll probably just get stock SEL lights and throw them in