Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Hairy Ape
Apr 15, 2010
How big of a deal is the carbon buildup problem in Audi/VW DI engines for long term ownership? Are you pretty much guaranteed to lose a poo poo-load of power in your engine after a few years unless you disassemble the engine and clean out the deposits at a fairly regular interval?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Hairy Ape
Apr 15, 2010

my1999gsr posted:

I can honestly say that carbon build up on the TDI is non-issue unless you're using it as a super-short trim vehicle. From time to time carbon can interfere with shut down flap operation but it's so simple to clean and it so seldom happens that I wouldn't even think about it. We've got several 300,000 km+ TDI cars that are regular customers that haven't had an issue. The one thing I will say about the TDI is that it really, really needs to be driven hard once in a while - get on the highway and wind it out a little bit to blow out some of the soot.

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I was referring to the gasoline DI engines such as FSI/TFSI. Any opinions on those?