Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Das Volk posted:

Is there any effective way to prevent/mitigate the carbon buildup problem that seems to plague the FSI V8 and V10? Or are you doomed to a partial teardown every other oil change?

I beat the ever-living piss out of the FSI V8 in my Touareg, and it still seems pretty clean. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm about to push this car off a cliff. I replaced the thermostat, and the water pump was replaced 4 years ago.

Basically the thing pissed out the coolant because an o-ring decided to fall apart on the sensor that plugs into the coolant flange. I suspect that it fell apart because the coolant was mixed, but the coolant doesn't look bad itself. I put in a new coolant flange in it because I thought it cracked, when it was really just the o-ring. Since then, I can't get it to burp. I've burped 200+ systems and never had one kick my rear end like this. It would really suck to find out the pump decided to let go so soon.

If it was replaced with a pump with a plastic impeller, it's not completely out of the question that it's busted again.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

keykey posted:

Sooo... Limp mode is happening on the '98 Jetta TDI. Is this the place to ask around about how to fix that or would that be a different thread?

Read the codes yet?

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

keykey posted:

Yeah, P01550 is the code I'm getting. I just replaced my vacuum lines and N75 last December since I figured it was time anyway as preventative maintenance, 265k miles. I have pressure tested the blue line off the n75 that goes to the turbo and it held 15lbs pressure for about 2 minutes before I cut pressure on the pump tool. There was some oil going up the line though I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen or not while pressure testing. Also, it seems to happen most if the A/C is on and around 2200-2300 rpm. Another thing I notice is a clicking in the drivers side dash on initial acceleration. I'll be accelerating and it will click once then I have a lot of power then it'll click again and I'll have 3/4 the amount of power and it will stay this way. I've noticed it's fairly temperature related too. If it's cold outside, nothing will usually happen unless I'm trying to accelerate up a hill. If it's warm outside, it'll go into limp mode once every 15-45 minutes in the 2200-2300 rpm range while in fifth, sometimes even when changing from first gear to second in town.

Sticky wastegate issues? Shot in the dark, obviously.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

10 year 100k mile powertrain on the Touareg. German Craftsmanship :smug:

They did this because all of us with T1's and T2's have catastrophic issues at 60-70k miles, and they can't sell them anymore without it. Meanwhile, I'm researching getting a new transmission for my T2. German Craftsmanship :shepicide:

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

She brought up the Q5, I've recommended other options but for her needs it's not bad. They have a truck for actual work, this is for carrying clients and ground clearance on a wagon on some of the trails is a real concern. Right now she has one of those old Infiniti-badged Pathfinder things but it uses too much gas and she wants something smaller. The cost is tax deductible as a business expense.

The Q5 is more or less a B8 with a different body, I thought. Is ground clearance decent on it?

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

nickutz posted:

I just bought my first VW, a 2007 Passat Wolfsburg edition. I've wanted a VW for a while now and I'm really happy with it. It has the in-dash navigation unit, but the owner only had the original DVD and it's horribly out of date.

Just by going through the official channels it looks like a current DVD is $200? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Does that use the regular MFD-2 system? If so, they're for sale on the Touareg forums all the time for $60-$70, or so.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Anyone know a good VW/Porsche mechanic in the Bay Area? Need a few things done to my Touareg, including timing belts.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Can anyone give me a rundown on the C5 A6 4.2? I know about the water in TCU issue, and that's about it. Kind of interested in one. I already have a 4.2 Touareg, so I understand some level of pain in ownership.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Yeah, dual SMIC's are stock on the 2.7T...

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Verdugo posted:

Also how the hell do you search for interior trim? I have a busted armrest on the driver's side I'm tryig to replace and it's impossible to find out what part that even is.

Should have a part number on it somewhere. Audi/VW puts part numbers on literally everything.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

lightpole posted:

My 03 A4 needs two new cats so I figured it was time for a new car.

Found a CPO 2011 Q7 TDI with just under 50k miles on it for $43k to replace it with. Is there anything I should look out for in the Q7 and TDI specifically? I used to have a Ford F 250 Powerstroke so I am familiar with small diesel engines as well as much larger ones. Do I want to do the maintenance myself once the warranty is up or just let Audi deal with it?

I found the Touareg to be a nicer place to be compared to the Q7. Q7's just a little bit bigger, though.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

blk posted:

Does anyone know anything about 955 Cayennes? I might be offered one and am wondering if I should take it or if it'd be too expensive to own. Not sure of year/mileage/trim yet; I'm guessing it's either the base VR6 or the S.

What's the milage? 60-80k is a rough time to own one of these. Be especially careful of any harshness in the transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
We test-drove the Q5/SQ5 before going Macan GTS, and if it weren't for the Macan existing we would have gone with it. Really great cars/platform.