Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Do you see any big differences in the quality of the techs that work at VW and Audi dealerships? I'd gladly take my GTI for its scheduled maintenance (especially the DSG oil changeout) to an Audi dealership if I knew I would have a reduced chance of running into clowns :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Will lowering springs cause premature suspension wear in my car? I have an early 2007 GTI, and the stock springs for that car make it look like a minivan. The switch to the lower ride height happened about a month after my car was produced. What I'm wondering is if I switch to springs that lower me to late-07 OEM equivalent, do I risk premature wear to any other parts of the suspension that might be tuned for the higher ride height?

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_6_8697_19901_19918_19919&info=Eibach_85100.140_Pro-Kit_Springs&products_id=1849

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

bennyfactor posted:

:aaaaa:

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

My friend is looking for a quattro A4 in the 4-6k range. This puts him in the very early 2000s. I told him to avoid the 1.8Ts because of sludging. Is that correct? Are there other things to be concerned about?

the continued health of his finances

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

My friend is looking for a quattro A4 in the 4-6k range. This puts him in the very early 2000s. I told him to avoid the 1.8Ts because of sludging. Is that correct? Are there other things to be concerned about?

ok so

if it's a quattro A4 in the USA it'll be an automatic transmission, which are terrible in that era. the quattro unit itself is a wear item. expect the typical mk4 niggles (window regulators / coolant migration / etc etc etc)

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

get out posted:

The Wife has an 06 GTI with 88k miles on it, automatic, no mods. Lately, when the AC is on and the car is idling, the RPM will drop really low and the car almost stalls. What can cause this? A bad AC compressor?

the compressors on mk5 cars are a common point of failure. the old part numbers have since been superceded by a more reliable part

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

my1999gsr posted:

It appears that this TSB is for the rear washer jet on the 2010 GTI/Golf hatchback. It outlines the diagnosis of a leaking rear jet and the installation of a one-way valve in the washer hose going to the jet. Is there something in particular you'd like to know?

...which leads into My Favorite VW Maintenance Issue, Ever.

Cap on the rear washer nozzle broke off, causing a jet of washer fluid to be sprayed directly back at the car following (tailgating) me.

Almost didn't want to fix that one.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

my1999gsr posted:

No, it is not. Yikes, that got manhandled. It looks like the original bus-bar though. As far as issues, they're the same as any other Passat chassis vehicles like the A4 - front suspension link issues and CV boots will be the most common. Since you have the diesel engine it should be a pretty good car. Try to use synthetic if you can - the turbo diesel engines are hard on their oil but otherwise drive 'er.

As far as your instrument cluster problem, it's hard to say what's going on. If the ECM has been changed then the cluster might have required adaptation for it to work correctly but without knowing why it was replaced then I'm guessing.

coolant migration?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

my1999gsr posted:

I know it's been discussed all over the interwebs but coolant migration is very, very rare. In frequent round table discussions with techs from dealerships all over Ontario I've only heard of 3-4 cases of coolant migration in the past 3 years or so. It IS terrible when it does happen but it's far from a common enough complaint to think it's at fault here. It's certainly possible but there's so many other, more common things it could be.

i had it in my old TDI, killed everything from the cluster down to the speed sensor

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

insta posted:

As much as I hate to say it, the TDI isn't for you. The diesel engine is made for long-haul driving, and short jaunts around is pretty hard on it.

wait what??

TDIs perform brilliantly in stop-and-go city driving, it's long haul highway driving that can actually do them harm -- the VNT needs to be exercised, which highway driving does not do. i got 40mpg city in my heavily modified 03 TDI

also, the tdi will feel quicker than the gti if you're not on the track, it has more torque

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

my1999gsr posted:

As far as engine wear goes, all the VAG cars fare better when they're driven hard and frequently.

while i'm in the UK my parents have been instructed to drive my GTI hard at least once a week

when they came to visit me mom was looking smug and she said "son, i redlined your car"

i was so proud

my1999gsr posted:

The VNT getting seized is usually the result of it operating in a very short sweep which is directly related to short trip driving where the throttle is never opened totally.

or you could be like the PO of the TDI i used to drive and cruise at 1700 rpm on the highway all. the. time.

the intake was clogged and the stock vnt15 was trash by 75k miles. perfect excuse to drop in a 17!

my1999gsr posted:

The stock TDI is a little quicker out of the hole than a stock 2.0T GTI but only for about 10 feet - that little turbo spools up fast enough to erase the torque advantage the TDI has. You might be a little too used to your chipped TDI. :cheers:

the current GTD is -40hp +60tq compared to the GTI

i want the GTD to come to the states sooooo badly

Dr. Jackal posted:

The dealer is giving 22600, which is suppose to be below invoice (I will believe it when I see the invoice...) with $200 or so on top for admin fee, anyone have a invoice on hand? The car is suppose to have BT, Mats, Weather and stuff.

CarsDirect says the invoice on a base 2dr TDI is $22350. if it's a 4dr you are indeed below invoice.

primitive fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 26, 2010

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

chutwig posted:

Maybe my perspective is a little skewed because I live in an area (in the US) where a lot of people drive VWs, Saabs, and Volvos. I googled a bit and found an article claiming VW was considering bringing the Polo BlueMotion to the States. It's hard to imagine that VW wouldn't be able to find buyers for a car that gets 75 mpg. It also seems to me that there's such a paucity of good diesel options in the US still that VW could fill that vacuum by bringing some more of their European engine options over before any other manufacturer can try to get a foothold there, but maybe they feel like they need to win more marketshare with what US drivers consider conventional options first.

they already bring their #1 diesel option, the 2.0 tdi. that engine goes in everything from the golf to the audi a6 avant over here, it's a great little engine. the only thing you could get was maybe the 1.4 in the states, but that would really require releasing the polo in the US, because a bluemotion golf would be savaged for being "dangerously slow"

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

on a truck

these little oil-cooled turbos are tiiiny compared to anything you might see in a truck!

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

my1999gsr posted:

. That may just be old-school thinking since the quality of motor oil has come so far

but so have engines, and the VW DI petrol / diesel engines do a number on oil in terms of fuel dilution

i stick to 10k mi intervals on my GTI, but that's only because I end up topping up 1qt every 2k miles because that's the rate it consumes it, so i get to refresh my add pack 4 or 5 times before i change the whole thing out

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

vicpro posted:

My dad's 2003 TDI Jetta has been squeaking for a while now, it seems like it's coming for the left of the engine (sorry I don't know much about mechanic). A few minutes ago I started the car and about 5 seconds later I heard something break, I popped the hood and the belt to the left of the engine seemed really loose and right next to it I found this shattered metal ring, any idea on what it might be?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8929397/Mobile%20Photo%202010-08-23%2011%2019%2048%20AM.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8929397/Mobile%20Photo%202010-08-23%2011%2033%2004%20AM.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8929397/Mobile%20Photo%202010-08-23%2011%2035%2015%20AM.jpg

Also the battery indicator is on, the car ran fine on the way back home except for the squeaking which was worse.

Help! Thanks.

That exact same thing happened to mine, it's the alternator pulley I think. Mine resulted in a red-hot part ejecting itself forcefully from underneath the car and a decently-sized repair bill, though it drove fine for a couple of days after that :)

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

minivanmegafun posted:

my1999gsr, what are your thoughts on the Routan? VW seems to be pushing those stupid things really hard as of late, are they unable to sell them?

why vw thought they would be able to sell more chryslers than chrysler, i have no idea

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

havelock posted:

reflashing turbo cars

the best part about reflashing turbo 4-cyl cars is that they typically make better mileage after the reflash than before, so long as you can keep your foot off the happy pedal (you won't be able to do this thing)

Buzkashi posted:

automatic

111,000 miles

Can anyone offer any advice?

those auto transmissions are notorious for dying around the 100k mark, but if the car has been otherwise reliable there's no reason not to find a reman transmission and put it in

primitive fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 3, 2010

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

Does anyone have experience with chips or piggyback ECU's to get a bit more power out of the engine? I am also looking for a good trailer hitch for the car, I will use it to pull an aluminum single rail motorcycle trailer for my dirt bike and track bike.

As far as performance mods go, at that age you should be thinking about an injector rebuild and/or new nozzles anyway as a maintenance item

nozzles, PP520 are good: http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse--dsh--dsh-VW-NOZZLES-and-INJECTORS/Categories

And only $145 more for an injector pop test / rebuild: http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-421/TDI-Injector-calibration%2C-Bosio/Detail

That should give you a power and torque boost you can really feel. If you need to go faster, this guy chipped my TDI back in the day:

http://jsrmonster1.globat.com/

Got to hang out on TDIClub and see where he's going to be next to get your tune done:

http://tdiclub.com

my1999gsr posted:

As far as chipping for power, it's a turbo-diesel so it'll respond very well to chipping or a turbo upgrade.

the order goes

chip / nozzles --> clutch --> injection pump --> turbo

if you're on a stock clutch, doing chip AND nozzles will make it slip. either/or is fine with the stock gear. the standard workaround is a VR6 clutch with the G60 corrado flywheel if you need to be able to handle more torque.

but speaking of turbos, it's worth checking / desooting the intake and checking to make sure the vanes in the turbo actuate properly; check tdiclub for details on both of these items

primitive fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 23, 2010

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

my1999gsr posted:

5+ 5000 RPM 1-2 gear shifts

clutch dumps or 1 -> 2 shifts? seems like 1 -> 2 at 5k RPM shouldn't be that stressful...

a dozen 5k RPM clutch dumps, i'd understand how that might fall under the umbrella of "abuse"

speaking of which -- have you ever seen a GTI whose DSG failed from a 3k RPM launch using launch control? i've never heard of one letting go, didn't know if you had. considering chipping after i get out of warranty, and it seems like for the first time ever a VW automatic transmission isn't the weak point of the car

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

wolrah posted:

is it normal for a DSG to seem to hesitate a bit before it decides to shift at WOT?

mine does the same

i think a chip is supposed to smooth that out and quicken shifts across the board

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Acknot posted:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but what's your take on the Audi S3 TFSI-based kits for the A4 2.0 TFSI?

I am looking to buy an '06 or 07 A4 2.0TQ but it's a pretty heavy car. I live in europe, so the logical step would be to get an MTM kit. Except they don't offer one. I'm looking for an alternative that will deliver a similar stock-like drivability and "install and forget" quality.

I have noticed the APR 300hp K04-based kit, and it looks pretty attractive, using stock Audi parts and a suitable program. Is there any experience on this kit yet?

eh

have a good friend that has a 2.0TFSI A4, which is heavier than the A3 by a decent margin, and it still has a good amount of zip

if you want performance you're still giving up 250lb to a GTI

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Wicaeed posted:

:toot:

OTD for 18.8k w/tax/title/registration

'07 53k Miles w/2 year warranty. First car I've ever purchased :) Pretty clean too, gonna detail her tomorrow :D

I cannot believe how well these things keep their value...

...paid 21k for my '07... in '07 :)

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Wicaeed posted:

Also I got a warranty with it just for peace of mind.

probably not the worst idea

i, too, own a volkswagen with an automatic transmission

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

just cancelled the eibach pro-system order -- wasn't going to come in until the middle of january

ordered the koni fsd with the eibach pro-kit springs instead :)

question: anyone else here run the same combination? i've read only good things, but would like to get a non-vortex opinion

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Autism Sundae posted:

Not necessarily VW related I guess, but I got my car back after suspension was fixed and alignment done, but it still pulls to the right a bit when I accelerate. It's not too bad and wouldn't say it's unsafe, the car just starts to drift to the right when it's pointed straight and accelerating.

Should I take it to the shop and ask them to recheck alignment? My rear tires are still pretty much brand new, don't know how that might affect anything (and my front left bearing was replaced).

torque steer?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

schindler.xls posted:

The closest you can get to a Golf R in the states right now is a A3 DSG 2.0T, which is very much moddable to well beyond Golf R levels.

270 bhp stock for the Golf R, sounds like an S3 drivetrain, which would of course make the Audi A3 and the Golf R completely different beasts.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Is the Audi A3 35,000 mile service the same as the GTI 40,000 mile service? They look substantially similar but I just wanted to make sure.

The reason being that, including the DSG oil change the Audi dealership near me came in at $425, and no VW dealership was willing to do everything fo less than $650.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

JHVH-1 posted:

Checking my VW dealer's price sheet, they charge $350 extra on top of regular 40k service for the DSG transmission fluid. The 2.0T service is $480

Kentucky must have some pretty affordable VW dealers. Paying $900 + tax for the service and also brakes on the back (my pads, their rotors), because gently caress if I'm going to do that job.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

primitive posted:

Kentucky must have some pretty affordable VW dealers. Paying $900 + tax for the service and also brakes on the back (my pads, their rotors), because gently caress if I'm going to do that job.

Just had a great experience at Don Jacobs VW in Lexington, KY.

They quoted ~$950 for the 40k service and rear brakes, which was in the ballpark of what I was expecting, so I went ahead and authorized the repairs.

What I was not expecting to do today was to have my new suspension installed. The service advisor wanted me to bring it up so he could quote a price for me. I had to have him say the quote twice -- only $267. I said "yes" so fast it would make your head spin. (It might have helped my case that I also brought with me every bolt, nut, and washer needed for the install, all OEM, from ECS Tuning.)

So now I'm rocking Koni FSD dampers and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. And a big smile on my face.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

drzrma posted:

I'm thinking about buying a 2003 TDI beetle, how badly am I going to hate myself?

From what I've heard the TDI engines and 5 speed manual transmission were relatively solid

It's a VE diesel with a 5 speed, you could put rats in the gas tank and nails in the crank case and it'd still find a way to make itself go forward

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

my1999gsr --

I had occasion to look at the bill from my last service, and I see that the dealer used 5w-30 synthetic in my 2007 GTI. I was of the impression that 5w-40 was preferred, but that any 502.00 approved oil would do in a pinch. Called up the service manager and he said that VW released guidance last year to use 5w-30 in part because 5w-40 was "hard to find."

Should I insist on using the factory fill as specified in my owner's manual? Or is the 5w-30 that they used fine? I have the part number if that makes a difference.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

drizzle posted:

Took my 09 GTI in for the 40k today which also had a CEL on a few days prior. Apparently the fault is for the intake flap motor on the manifold. I did notice my mpg take a dip around the same time so I suppose that it's stuck open or something? Anyway, they want to replace the intake flap motor for $970 which seems pretty loving steep to me. Anyone else have this problem before?

warranty? it's a known issue on these cars...

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Auu posted:

I have a small electrical gremlin with an '02 Golf TDI (shocking, I know!) - occasionally (usually around when the car starts up) the drivers side non-highbeam headlight will turn off, the left blinker turn signal indicator will turn on (solid) and the left blinker itself will not work. Everything else is fine, and it "works" in so much as the blinker will function again if I turn the headlights off. It'll usually fix itself in 10 minutes or so.

Any ideas where to start? Wiring, switches, etc?

step 1: check for coolant migration

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Autism Sundae posted:

I don't think there are any substantial differences between an A3 with sport package and a 4 door GTI.

about 150kg?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

Why won't they cut the rotors down?

Thinner rotors heat up more quickly. Establishing the friction interface between pad and rotor can cause hotspots on the rotor, which later manifest themselves as brake pulsations because of metallurgical changes in the rotor material.

And also if you're already in there it's not all that much more expensive to swap everything out... brakes are one part of my car that I'll never cheap out on.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

my1999gsr posted:

Congrats, you've just described my average day at the shop! Anyways, I'm glad it all worked out.

These days, if you have a bad DV on a TFSI car, do you replace it with the diaphragm part or the new TSI piston part?

Reason I ask -- my MkV is still under factory warranty, it would be expedient for my DV to fail some time within the next year :)

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

teh jhey posted:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Suspension/Suspension_Kits/ES263076/
Looks like the Koni FSD/Eibach Pro kit is on sale for $700, and I'm itching.

However, I also see this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Suspension/Suspension_Kits/ES248794/

Are all those parts one-time use parts that I have to throw away if I untorque them, or are they adapters because the new setup won't fit or something? The car has about 19,000 miles on them, and there's no obvious issue with my suspension at the time.

I paid $900 for the same thing off TireRack, and it's worth it, even more so at the $700 price point!

I also got that exact same replacement part kit. I did mine when my MkV had 35k miles... even if the parts weren't worn out, it seemed kind of daft to have the entire front end apart and not replace every bushing, bearing, and mount in sight.

(Only thing I wish I had done differently: I should have replaced the strut mounts, too.)

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Opensourcepirate posted:

I've got a 98 Jetta TDI. Can you look up the part number for the rubber cover for the viewing window thing on top of the transmission? The one that lets you look at the clutch/flywheel. I seem to have lost mine at some point.

It's a lost cause, your transmission is shot

Sell the car to me and I will ensure its proper disposal

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

my1999gsr -- they're reporting over on golfmk5 that VW is extending the factory warranty for the cam follower and damage done by cam follower wear out to 120k. confirm / deny / details?

http://golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144169

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

shyguy posted:

I was looking to upgrade to something along the lines of an APR Stage 1. Nothing too crazy, but enough to feel some extra kick, especially in the low end.

You can get a 6 hour trial flash from your local APR guy... I tried it on my 07, and there's no compelling reason to not go straight to Stage 2