Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Carteret posted:

I love my sunroof-less Rabbit

:smug:

that's weird, they spelled 'R' wrong on your front grille.

:smug::smug::smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

My R also occasionally goes low coolant. Apparently it's just a thing. I bought a bottle of pentosin that should last me forever.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

dialhforhero posted:

By the way: if you have a Mark 7, inspect that brushed metal bevel surrounding your shifter boot on the center console, it may start to peel off and it is SHARP.

Just a PSA.

can confirm

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

vw can you please not act like the world is ending for the tiniest bullshit

"AFS SYSTEM ERROR" aka plz replace my cornering bulbs

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Styles Bitchley posted:

Just realized the Mk7 Golf R does NOT have a sunroof and now I want one even more.

would recommend.

only thing i dont like is how 'sport mode' just keeps the turbo spun up and a gear down and is all but useless in city driving unless you want to convert 93 octane gas into noise

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Are you saying this car has antilag because I don't know how they could do that with a catalytic converter in place? Would be amazing though.

i'm probably saying it wrong? it just seems to consistently keep the revs higher, by being a gear down from where it would be in "non sport" mode which is useless if you dont have 20 feet of space in front of you.

or maybe i'm using sport mode wrong idk

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

so my mk7 golf r does apply to the water settlement. i haven't had any issues yet, but what are the magic words to make the VW dealer fix this BEFORE it breaks?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

nitsuga posted:

https://waterpumpsettlement.com/VIN-Lookup-Portal

I think you qualify, but look it up there. As for a preventative repair, you’ll likely never get one on VW’s dime. You should watch for coolant level drops though. That seems to be the early indicator for component failure.

I do top off about once a...year or so. I'll bring it in once it keeps popping up.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I imagine the owner's manual will probably tell you exactly what you need to do to change the battery.

hahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahah

oh wait you're serious

let me laugh even harder

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

wooooo mk7 oil pan leak and thermostat leak under the intake manifold

european cars are a joy

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Rusty posted:

My previous GTI that had a key had nothing like that, the one I have now is push button. But my Celica can be weird with the steering wheel lock so you have to turn it to get the key to move.

My nissan also did this

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I don't suppose there's any easy fix for the leather on my mk7 r seats starting to seperate?

VW Part is $550. Or I could just embrace the stupid and get some seat covers. It's not a big deal i guess, but it has me bummed.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 18, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I think you want this kit

3M Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit, 08579

$12 usd

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08579-Leather-Vinyl-Repair/dp/B0058WXNOK

Only slightly more expensive than coloring it in with a sharpie. I think the further the repair is from the seam, the better it works, and your repair is directly on the seam

The stitching has come loose as well, so this might not do it, but I'll look into it.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 19, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Charles Leclerc posted:

I wonder if the PO just shoehorned in a 'close enough' model's software update? I don't use Carplay but Android Auto seems to work just fine and I've found Waze is much better than Audi's implementation of Google maps, which seems to have a penchant for sending my big rear end car down every single track country road in a 20 mile radius of my destination.

I've got a brand new Q3 today as a loaner whilst I get the last of the warranty work sorted on my S7 and the nav did the exact same thing of sending me down blind country roads when there were perfectly fine main roads all the way :wtc:

I wasn't aware of any way to update the software outside of the dealer. If there is, I'd like to update my Mk7's infotainment to maybe make the bluetooth song titles stop lagging behind by a track or two. Dealer wouldn't even look at an update without a diagnostic fee, which they can go gently caress themselves on.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's a lot easier if you have an SD card slot in the car. Usually a good idea to leave the car on trickle charge too as it can take a couple of hours.

I've never even found a source _for_ the update. Where? I have a slot, it's a Mk7 Golf.

Edit: I found mibsolution, but I'm unclear on which firmware to install. There's MST2_US_VW_P0867D_MU0867 and MST2_US_VW_P0635D_MU0757, and i imagine that has to do with my platform type?

Edit Edit: looks like http://mib-helper.com/ can set me up, but i'll have to get my SW Train data tomorrow.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 21, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Double posting because it's a new day. I've pulled my SW Version and I have MST2_USVW_ZR_P0245T. Mib-helper says that the newest version is MST2_US_VW_ZR_P0253T, but on mibsolution.one, in Firmware/MST2, I don't see a MST2_US_VW_ZR_P0253T file, the closest is ZR-CM-VW-0253.img

Does anyone happen to know what I should be using here?

Edit edit: found it, installed it, and it didn't fix the issue where my bluetooth track titles lag behind by one song. :mad:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 22, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Is the internet insane or could I seriously get 20-23k for my Golf R right now? That'd leave 19-20k after I pay it off, and hoo boy, that might do something nice.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how could anyone possibly know the answer to this question unless you provide slightly more information

I'm being facetious here it's just wild to me that even with no real info, it looks like they hold their value really well.

The dealer near me DOES have a 2023 anniversary golf R in black though...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i paid off my 2016 golf R this week.

let's see what goes wrong first.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

TenaciousTomato posted:

Calling water pump

already done, along with the oil pan.

thankfully no sunroof.

reminds me i need new wiper blades though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

intheflesh posted:

I'll take "calling oil consumption of 2qt/1000miles within accepted values" for $400

jokes aside, those are great cars. I had a 15 A3 2.0t quattro with a tune which is effectively the same car as yours but with a trunk instead of hatch and had absolutely zero problems over my ownership

this happened already! it's why my oil pan is aluminum and not the factory composite.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

lack of a sunroof is my favorite thing about my mk7 golf r

my least favorite thing is that it needs 4 new tires, has a low oil light, and blew an AFS turn light and i'm not sure which one. :mad:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

My buddy had a 4 that did that and he traced a battery cable to a melting harness but ymmv

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i recommend a cross shaped bandaid for your new ouchie.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I'm also gonna cross post, because I'm making headway but i'm still not sure about this CEL issue on my mk7 golf.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=537885467
(starts there and continues)

rough starts, P2188 CEL citing "System Too Rich Off Idle Bank 1". cleaned the MAP, but not sure what else if it doesnt play. MAP and Fuel pump are both $$$ parts so i dont wanna throw parts at the problem

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 20, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Between here and the hatch thread I know y'all are sick of hearing about my mk7, but the crank+no-start problem was fixed by a high pressure fuel pump. 30 minute install, top mounted, all i needed that I didn't have was some triple-square bits.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

people swear off dealers for all sorts of reasons

for example, the VW dealer east of me refused to give me a hard price on the 25th anniversary golf and as such i do not own one and they will not ever get my business.

see also the dealer that gave me a price WITH a 20% dealer adjustment. gently caress you, you don't get an extra five digits of my money because you lucked into something unusual.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I posted this in the hatch thread, but can anyone recommend a lower-dust brake pad set for a 2016 Golf R that won't sacrifice performance compared to oem/stock? Due for a replacement and I don't love having to clean the front wheels constantly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

These are for day to day driving, to be clear. No track. The stock pads produce an unacceptable amount of dust and frankly VW should be embarassed.

VelociBacon posted:

I've been extremely happy with my Akebono ceramic pads. You can use the same rotor (I like centric vented blanks), they have very good initial bite and very little fade, require very little to no warmup, and have essentially zero dust. They're also lasting me forever. I understand that they wouldn't be suitable for heavy track use because they retain heat more and can overheat... I've done 4-5 track days in my car driving at probably 8/10ths and they never faded. Perhaps this is a consideration in longer track sessions or in hotter climates.

e: Just checked my email - I've been running these pads daily since 2018, the rears are probably 2/3 to needing replacement and the fronts have more than half left.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-akebono-parts/front-rear-brake-pad-set/3557817kt/

Well, the price is right, and I don't have a commute.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 12, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ooh, ECS has the spare tire kit back in stock too. Bought that and the pads. Spreader tool (heh) from amazon. Easy money.

Edit: should I do the rotors while I'm in there? Seems easy, but the price inflates.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 12, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I would since worn rotors will prematurely gently caress the pads a bit and you're in there already as you say. I don't think you even need to take the carriers off the hub if you have the pads out (to replace the rotors).

Make sure you have some kind of strong cleaner for the rotors, they always come with a very tenacious anti-rust covering these days. I think I used brake cleaner and a lot of towels etc. Next time I do this I'm going to figure out a way to soak the rotors in some kind of solution first, it took me honestly over an hour altogether to clean the poo poo off the rotors.

Can you throw me a link (or pair of links) ideally from ECS (seems like the best price and free S&H)? Your application sounds a lot like mine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I ordered from Rockauto, I'm Canadian, and I have a mk5 (2007) GTI so I don't think our application is the same part numbers. Here's my order summary:

e: I'm taking a look at ECS right now.

I mean, I don't mind ordering from rockauto, I already got these pads:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-akebono-parts/front-rear-brake-pad-set/3557817kt/
I could absolutely cancel that order if Rockauto has them. They don't make it easy to shop though.

Edit: ECS's kit is just EUR1760 and 1779 together. So that's easy.

Centric just doesn't seem to be carried by many vendors?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I updated my post so take another look but honestly a rotor is basically a rotor especially just for street use. I would avoid drilled and slotted as these can accelerate wear on the pads and the benefits aren't realized on a street car. I like centric but any 'blank' rotors for this application are going to be vented and fine. By vented I mean this:

It's common for the rears to not even be vented FYI. I'm not sure what VW put on the R, maybe they're vented front and rear.

Yeah, it is vented from the factory.

:toot:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 12, 2024