Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Autism Sundae posted:

Tire pressures seem good and even, I don't think I have a sticking caliper (I'm assuming I'd feel something different when braking if that were the case?). I don't know, I think this might be normal and I've never noticed it before.

If I point the car slightly to the left, for example, and step on the gas, it won't necessarily begin going off to the right but might continue to go to the left. Sometimes though it will start veering to the right either immediately or after going straight for a bit. I don't know, it's kind of hard to be sure about this because the road surfaces here are convex - if that makes sense? Like if you were to slice through the road you'd see that the surface isn't straight but curves down toward the right shoulder. Then again, it happens on highways too and they're not really made in the same way.

Anyway, I'm probably overthinking it. I can always go to the alignment shop and ask them to re-check everything. I have two brand new rear tires also, so that might have something to do with it?

Depending on where you are all the roads, some of the roads, or none of the roads may be angled in some way. It's a weather drainage thing and will affect how your tires wear as well. Some places will align your car with respect to this. I've never worried about drifting to a side unless it was a consistent issue.

The info about the parts software makes sense sadly. I ordered the iPod interface for the stock stereo in my car and it took them a couple times to get the right one because of confusing information in their database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

PoopinClumpin posted:

Thanks guys. I wonder why they put it there.

In any case it will be really easy to run a heavy gauge cable for amplifier power someday.

If it helps soothe your mind any I had an '83 BMW where the battery was in the rear right corner of the trunk. There was a space in the engine bay for the battery as well (instead it had mounts for jumper cables).

As a side note I just want to say drat VW for FINALLY announcing an AWD golf for this next year. One month earlier and I would have held off on ditching the GLI until it came out. I do like the Audi I got though so I guess it works out.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Autism Sundae posted:

Is there anyone here with a 2010 or 2011 A3?

Yes. I do have an A3 of one of the above years.

primitive posted:

Is the Audi A3 35,000 mile service the same as the GTI 40,000 mile service? They look substantially similar but I just wanted to make sure.

The reason being that, including the DSG oil change the Audi dealership near me came in at $425, and no VW dealership was willing to do everything fo less than $650.

I can take a look in the morning to see. Haven't driven nearly that much since I got the car to know already. Although I'm sure someone will probably answer before I can.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer
I don't know of any specific issues to the 2010-11 A3. The shared components don't seem to have any current issues as far as I can tell.

Also for the person asking about the 35k maint. The DSG does get the oil and filter replaced at that point and every 40k after.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Autism Sundae posted:

Does your A3 have any rattles? I was trying to read up on common issues on vwvortex but all I can get out of that forum is a massive headache and strong aversion to lowered cars. Does yours have the sport package?

I hear you on that. Sifting through all the :rice: is mind-numbing. I didn't want the sport package since my '04 GLI did and it was nothing but a headache when I moved back to Utah. I do miss my seats. No rattles as of yet.

There is the potential DSG problems, but they are supposed to be fixed or something now. Engine-wise the only thing I've found is some people saying it burns oil a bit. Build-wise there's nothing really I can think off offhand for now.

e: I should note that most of the time when I drive I don't listen to the radio/cd's/iPod/wot. So if there are any abnormalities I pick them up pretty quick.

Coffee Sludge fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 1, 2011

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Autism Sundae posted:

How many miles do you have on yours? I think the engine is the same for new A3s and MKVI GTI (not entirely sure though), so oil burning issues should be fixed.

Picked it up in November so not a whole lot. I do drive my cars though so it will climb fairly quick. Honestly the interior of my car feels pretty solid so I don't expect to get much if any rattle for quite some time.

Audi and VW have been sharing the same engines, drive systems, misc parts and kittens for some time so yeah the 2.0T is the same for both brands. That's good to know though. I read on the vortex someone talking about it and then went looking for references without success. My biggest gripe about the VAG lineup in the US is that we don't get the options our euro friends do. 3 door hatch A3? Yes please. More engine options than you can shake a stick at? Hell yes!

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

my1999gsr posted:

From what I can tell, the CCZA motor doesn't exist in North America - it doesn't even show up in my service literature which does include the California emissions engine which I believe is the CBFA.

So far we haven't had much trouble at all with the 10/11 A3 - it's my favorite VAG vehicle right now. There's a recall/TSB for Mechatronic transmission control unit replacement in the case of a hard 1-2 shift and a few software update issues but nothing too crazy.

They're still having the hard shift issue crop up? As much as I don't like hearing about potential issues (I get paranoid) it's better than having to fix a problem myself and end up hearing about the issue much later down the road (loving coil-packs). I was under the impression that the hard shift issue was pretty much resolved.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer
I remember when I bought my GLI back in '04 the dealership made a point to mention how they were the only shop in X miles radius with a VW certified something or other mechanic. Perhaps my1999gsr can shed some light on this, but I would think that might be something to check with.

Also to be a dick I'd send all my paperwork and such to either the regional or national peoples.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

my1999gsr posted:

VW Certification is kind of an interesting thing. For us to have a VW dealer license at least one of our techs must be VW certified. To be certified we have to complete 5 SSPs (Self Study Programs) and pass a multiple choice test for each one plus we have to take part in at least one ILT (Instructor Led Training) per year to maintain our certification. There's lots of excellent technicians out there that aren't VW certified. I've never put much stock in being certified but the required ILTs can be very important - they're usually 2-4 day tutorials on specific systems in specific vehicles and they have a LOT of information that you can't get anywhere else. The dealership is encouraged to inform customers that the techs are VW certified so they feel more comfortable during service appointments but that's about it.

That's good to know. I was under the impression that it was a big deal and reality is that it's a cheese cert instead. Not that they can't be useful, but generally when you do a self-study course and then take a multiple choice test it tends to lessen the value.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

JHVH-1 posted:

Newer models have encryption that has to be bypassed by pulling the ECU.
In most cases a reflash once its flashed won't require pulling again.

I have around 4.5k miles since the APR flash I think. I am pretty pleased, and it is the best bang for your buck mod you can do. The 1.2 version is supposed to improve boost performance, reduce turbo lag. Probably not a huge difference.

I also saw a thread they posted about an upcoming iPhone/iPod app they have planned for the future to change your options using that. Some kind of device hooked up to canbus (they haven't decided yet):

It was only a matter of time before the tuning companies started going this route. Now if only the vagcom peeps would do it. I'd like to have their program, but not at the expense of having to buy a netbook with windows just to run it.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer
I don't suppose anyone knows how to get rid of the message asking if I want to activate my data connection? Besides subscribing to their service or using a physical connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

It may be the actuator arm that closes/opens the vents for recirculation. Cycle your recirculation button and if you hear it then yes, that’s it.

I had one go out on an old G6 I had. No idea how easy it is to replace on a VW. You will probably have to remove the side facia of the dashboard with the door wide open and then lower your glove box door beyond its normal limits.

It's actually pretty easy to take out. Watched a video on it for his car out of curiosity. A tiny bit more involved than it was for my '11 A3, but a ton less than my '91 S10 when I had to replace the heater core.