Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
2001 Audi A6 2.4 Avant (euro-spec). What will cause the brake-warning light to come on, even after replacing the front brake pads (twice)? It's on every god drat time I start the car - the brakes are ok :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Depends on how you define "worth it" - is it the beater to get you through college, or a child-hood dream come true no matter the cost?

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

my1999gsr posted:

First off I'll say that I have little experience with any engine/trans combo that wasn't offered in North America so your 2.4 Avant is an oddball to me. Having said that, Here's my advice for troubleshooting:

Pull off both front wheels so you have access to the plugs for the pad wear sensors.

Unplug both sensors (if your Audi has one on each side) and use a paper clip to bridge the 2 pin plug on the vehicle side (to simulate a brand new pad with an intact wear sensor).

If you turn on the car and the light is off then one of your wear indicators in the new pads have a problem. I'm guessing that if you've already replaced the pads twice and the light persists then you've got another problem. I'd be looking for damage or corrosion in the wiring going to the wear sensors. Also, how's your brake fluid level?
Brake fluid is fine. I have some trouble following the brakelines, as I'm not used to taking the car apart.

Anyway, a friend of mine noticed that my third brake light (the brake-light at the roofline on the wagon) is constantly on, although dimmed. When I press the brake it lights up fully, but otherwise it's on just like the rear running light. Is this normal? I've never seen other cars do this, and I was wondering if there was some connection to the brake warning.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

my1999gsr posted:

I've seen this lighting issue on other VW product before - it's usually because the other 2 brake lights are out. It could be related to your brake issue though - it's hard to say for sure since your vehicle's options aren't familiar to me.

I wouldn't worry about your brake lines - if your fluid level if ok then they're not leaking. Wait a second... Your car is a diesel isn't it? Does your gauge cluster have a glow plug light?
No, not a diesel, 2.4 litre V6. You may have a point - when one of the brake bulbs failed, I replaced both bulbs with LED bulbs, thinking they will last longer. Could that cause the third light to come on, through magic?

The brake warning light was on before I replaced the bulbs though.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I'll try replacing them and return. Thank you for your time so far, I really appreciate it!

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Update on my brake wear sensor troubles on my 2001 Audi A6 2.4 30V (european version):

It turned out be a broken cable, right where the sensor plug attaches to the cable. I had to get that part of the harness replaced - it is so nice to be able to start the car and not be blinded by warning lights :)

Actually, there's too little info now - my ambient temperature sensor seems to have died. The display will show either nothing, -40 degrees celsius or slowly creep up to -38 degrees celsius. It's nowhere near that cold.

I'm hoping it's just a dead sensor, as they are easy to replace. How likely is this to be true?

Edit: oh, and another question. The bench part of the rear seat has come loose, and rattles around. I want to troubleshoot, but how do I take the bench off? Should I just pull up or out, or is there some trick to it?

Mathturbator fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Just picked up this 2007 A3 TDI, in the bland-est color and configuration:

I am very happy with it, it replaces the brand new BMW 120D that I hated due to the horrible interior quality. The ride dynamics couldn't make up for that, so I'm back with Audi.

Anyway, it's a european-spec attraction model, so there's practically no equipment :( How easy/expensive is it to retrofit the following:

- Ambient light / reading lights in the front
- Sports-leather steering wheel (I have a 4-spoke steering wheel, there might be some issues with the airbag, right?)
- Cruise control
- Nicer gearknob for the manual unit
- The car is equipped with a surprisingly good Chorus II radio, do I have any options for connecting my iPhone (or an iPod) to this?