Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

copperblue posted:

My 2001 GTI VR6 occasionally has the secondary air pump run on startup. It runs for about 1-2 minutes, during which time the car will backfire if I accelerate moderately/aggressively. Is this cause for concern?

Any trouble codes? I wonder if this an issue with a catalytic converter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Does your Vr6 sound like marbles rattling in a can?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2zmzmCBcCA

If so, change your timing chain/tensioners NOW.

See this thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1264409

quote:

Since timing chains are considered by VW to be a "lifetime" item, there is no recommended mileage for the replacement (or even inspection) of timing chain parts. However, while timing chains should realistically outlast the rest of the car, the design of the guides and tensioners used to keep the chains tight on a 12v VR6 is inadequate IMO. It is very common for guides and tensioners to fail (especially in older VR6 motors) as mileage approaches or passes 100k miles. Unfortunately, failed guides or tensioners may cause a chain to jump a tooth or more on a sprocket or may even cause a chain to snap. If either were to happen, serious damage to the engine would result as valves slam into pistons at high speed.

The tensioners on my 24v failed at 65K miles, causing the loose chain to eat the teeth off one of the timing gears. This eventually resulted in the chain jumping, luckily on startup though so there was no internal damage.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, timing chain and tensioners are on my list of poo poo to replace regardless if they're bad now. Any ideas on the mediocre low RPM performance? It's more noticeable in cooler weather.

Basically, I want to ensure the future reliability and drivability of this car. Anything else I don't particularly care about.

Honestly it could be chains. Mine felt much snappier off idle after I had the chain replaced.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Billy Tully posted:

Oh my god, I thought MJM was bad. Parts4vws, German Auto Parts, world impex and 1stvwparts are the way to go.

I had good experiences with ECS.