Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOT NOW GRANDPA
Dec 6, 2005

Hey cool, thanks for doing this thread :)

I have a question. I have a 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro, with an engine that isn't so healthy.

What 5 cylinder Audi's are potential donor cars? Googling has brought me nothing but confusion.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOT NOW GRANDPA
Dec 6, 2005

I have an Audi question!
I need a rebuilt or used cylinder head for my '90 Coupe Quattro. I cannot for the life of me find either:

1. A good source for used Audi parts that isn't ebay.

2. Info on which other 5 cylinder Audis I could get a compatible head from.

Any help would be really really really appreciated. :)

NOT NOW GRANDPA
Dec 6, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

car-part.com might be able to find a junkyard local to you that has what you're looking for, though you are going to deal with a half dozen different gruff mechanics who have different insane pricing schemes all over North America.

Yeah I was bracing for that. My 944s have spoiled me. (:psyduck:)

quote:

My guess is that this is the 20v I5 which would be a 7A engine in nonturbo form.

The AAN engine is 10v, so you don't want anything from that. I think the bottom end is supposed to be interchangeable between those two engines, so it's something to look out for.

edit: As far as I can tell the AAN engine was in the Audi 4000 and 5000, and the 7A was in the Audi 90 and Coupe/Coupe GT/Coupe Quattro. I don't know about the Audi 100, but I think that had an engine that was neither AAN nor 7A. Audi 90s should be plentiful, but they also came with the "NG" engine, which appears to be a 10v, so make sure.

The obvious way to tell the difference between the 10v and 20v heads is to count the number of valves. ;)

Yeah it is the 2.3 7A. Thanks, that actually helps a lot. Coming from pretty much exclusively working on 944s, I wasn't sure if there were different water passages or not... stuff like that.

More and more its looking like an AAN swap would be the easy way out. e: easy does not equal cheap :(