Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Kin posted:

Think how he would have saved himself from looking stupid if he had platinum. Maybe there should be some kind of "don't make a thread unless you have platinum" common sense rule for the forums.

Everyone was talking about making a new thread now that the game was out and with an OP that wasn't "what the gently caress is this?" Shut up already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I'm gonna buy this game because it looks awesome

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So yeah, this game is pretty cool. Not gonna' win any awards or anything, but it's fun.
Probably got the best translation I've seen in a Japanese game and the main cast is incredibly likeable. Even Kainé is awesome once you get past the stupid costume (which some of the other characters will mock).

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Repostin' for the new thread: Most of the sidequests are super boring, but there are only four you NEED to do to get all the endings. All of these are in the second half of the game:
Killing the huge shade by the bridge, given by the guy walking around by the north gate of the village.
The treasure map quest, given by the village blacksmith.
Killing the shades in the desert temple, given by the King of Facade after you've done the kill all the bandits quest for a guard by the entrance of Facade. This may have to be done after you get the Facade key piece as well.

As for fishing, you never have to succeed at it to progress in the game. If you're at the right beach (the one with the red X on the map), if you fail enough times in a row the game will give you a little extra scene and make fun of you but automatically give you the fish you need to continue. The only reason to fish is for achievements/trophies or to make gold doing something mindless.

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime

Internet Friend posted:

Repostin' for the new thread: Most of the sidequests are super boring, but there are only four you NEED to do to get all the endings. All of these are in the second half of the game:
Killing the huge shade by the bridge, given by the guy walking around by the north gate of the village.
The treasure map quest, given by the village blacksmith.
Killing the shades in the desert temple, given by the King of Facade after you've done the kill all the bandits quest for a guard by the entrance of Facade. This may have to be done after you get the Facade key piece as well.
I think you missed one. There's a fortune teller in the forest that needs an orb from the roof of the temple. When you give it to her, she sends you to the downtown area from the opening where you get the lead pipe.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

You don't need to do that, getting the A and B endings automatically gives you that weapon without doing the sidequest for it.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
I really hope that this game gets a sequel or that some of the DLC addresses some of the questions the game leaves open. Like why ??? had both Grimoires in the prologue, let alone one. I've gotten all four endings and there's little if anything to answer that question with.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Wow. That fishing minigame.

Everything about it is horribly done. I have no idea what buttons to press, or when. The cue for the bobber or the rod is BARELY discernable and half the time it doesnt even feel like it registers, 9 times out of 10 the fish gets away immediately.

Am I just retarded? Is there something blindingly obvious I'm missing?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
After you throw out your line, turn the camera so you're looking at the rod from an angle that isn't completely retarded, unlike say the angle they default you to. Once you start reeling the fish in, simply hold down on the analog stick. If your dude starts leaning keep holding down but move your analog stick towards the direction your dude's leaning in. The cue for you to start reeling in is really pronounced, not a little dip. I'm assuming you're trying to catch a Shaman Fish. If so, don't fish next to the old dude, fish on the beach near the lighthouse. Also after you fish up the shaman fish and talk to the old dude check out the fish shop, it'll make you go :argh:.

The OP really needs a section on how to fish, I swear more people get caught on the single plot required fish than anything else in the game.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 2, 2010

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Wow. That fishing minigame.

Everything about it is horribly done. I have no idea what buttons to press, or when. The cue for the bobber or the rod is BARELY discernable and half the time it doesnt even feel like it registers, 9 times out of 10 the fish gets away immediately.

Am I just retarded? Is there something blindingly obvious I'm missing?

Either you're in the wrong place like the guy above me notes or yeah, you're kind of retarded. When you're in the wrong place, getting the direction wrong for like a fraction of a second fails you like you've mentioned so I'm almost certain you are not where you should be.

There are quests to increase your fishing skill which is how you move on to the harder spots.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just finished the village boss that attacks the library. That whole sequence was awesome and intense! The game really picks up after a while and never gets too repetitive (unless you're unlucky when grinding for mutton and hides). The part where you enter people's dreams was pretty unexpected and different for a action game, and the mansion was pretty much action RPG "Resident Evil" - they even disabled your ability to dodge so the controls would be as restricted as in RE! (Yeah, I'm convinced it was intentional).

This game is this year's biggest surprise to me.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

quote:

The OP really needs a section on how to fish, I swear more people get caught on the single plot required fish than anything else in the game.

Good idea, fishing stuff added, including a list of fish for the quests, but I'm kind of stuck on one of them, will get it up there when I figure it out.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

InnercityGriot posted:

Good idea, fishing stuff added, including a list of fish for the quests, but I'm kind of stuck on one of them, will get it up there when I figure it out.

I noticed you put you were unsure about Bream. Your information is correct. You don't need lugworms though, I've caught them with just the lure.

Also, you might want to mention that you can hit x or the 360 equivalent to try to pull the fish in before the hp hits zero. The chance is affected by the amount of hp the fish has left. I don't know if skill makes a difference though.

Tapeta
Aug 31, 2004
Ekaru Hoppa Do Pe Tapeta

Phenotype posted:

Speculative: Yeesh. This sounds like your save file gets deleted for a storyline decision. Bold move.

I have some bad news for you...

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Well, apparently if you fail at catching the Shaman Fish too much the game does it for you. :suicide:

Just got my first party member and now I'm in Facade. I'm glad the locations are varied, I was getting bored with the plains.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Edit: Nevermind already posted.

InnercityGriot fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 3, 2010

Valen
Oct 1, 2009
It looks like they picked a bad spot in the game to show, since it looks pretty boring. The end of the quick look is on a boss fight, where things seem to start to pick up. I'm still waiting on Amazon to ship my copy of the game, but I'm not too worried I'll regret buying it. Going in to a JRPG you have to figure you're in for some level of grinding and :words: which the quick look shows a fair amount of.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
They didn't just pick a bad spot to show, they picked the worst spot. :sigh:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just started this, god the music is so awesome. The mashy nature of the fights is a turnoff coming from having favorite games like Bayonetta and Demon's Souls but on the other hand the voice acting is surprisingly solid and the story is suitably "what the gently caress is going on", the best kind of videogame story

Edit: Also the best speech ever right after the opening intros which is a nice surprise

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 2, 2010

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Are there any costumes or armor? This default starting look is just ... wow awful. =/

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Are there any costumes or armor? This default starting look is just ... wow awful. =/

You get a different look later on in the game. Also yeah, the fact that the dude who does this has only apparently done Tekken games besides this is a loving travesty, the soundtrack for this game is easily the best I've heard in years.

The other costume you get is worse.:ssh:

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 2, 2010

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Holy poo poo, the second visit to the Forest of Myth has to be the biggest "gently caress you!" tease in the entire game.

Nier returns to visit the Divine Tree and talks to it, re-entering Text World where it talks to him about the memories it gathers from mankind within its leaves and tells you these two long stories about a dying boy and a bloodthirsty warrior. The third story starts with "A red dragon that fell from the Heavens" and just when you think that this'll finally be the big Drakengard thing, the game goes "LOL! just fuckin with you i actually lost this memory it was a really good one too i bet you would have liked it"

I actually feel more slighted by this than the implications of Ending D, though now I really want to read the Weapon Story for Ironwill.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Pro-tip - don't read the trophy descriptions. I did :(

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
What's there to be slighted about in terms of Ending D? I mean, besides the obvious, and I don't mean the whole saved game data thing.

If anything it just kinda makes me feel like Cavia (huge loving spoilers, sorta)just really wanted Kaine to be the main character to begin with but liked the father/brother searching for his daughter/sister thing too much as a tagline to drop it. In any case it makes a lot of little things about the game make more sense, like how the Shadowlord does not take on the name you give your character and is just shown as ??? in the prologue.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 2, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Renoistic posted:

Yeah the 'time trial boss fight' ones are kinda spoilery in their descriptions, to say the least.

Syvere
Apr 25, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I also read the boss descriptions. poo poo sucks, but luckily those aren't too bad spoilers. Still, makes you kinda wonder why those aren't secret trophies like some others that are much less "spoilery".

Syvere fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 2, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Syvere posted:

I also read the boss descriptions. poo poo sucks, but luckily those aren't too bad spoilers. Still, makes you kinda wonder why those aren't secret trophies like some others that are much less "spoilery".

This is a game by the Cavia. Cavia are dicks. This is the only reason they have ever needed for any of their game decisions.

Besides, some of the boss descriptions are either pretty misleading or refer to poo poo you have literally no way of knowing until the second playthrough.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
I played this game for an hour and all I did was press square to kill gold people and sheep. There was a boss and all of a sudden I could use magic again which wasn't nearly effective as just mashin' that there square button so then after that I had to run to some village somewhere and more golden people kept appearing and then five different tutorials about crafting poo poo popped up and then uuuugggghhhhhhhh

Does it ever get any more complicated than pressing square to win? I read the posts about fishing and holy poo poo what is fishing doing in a game like this? The way the OP read and the videos I had watched I was expecting something a whole lot different than broken-rear end Devil May Cry with resource grinding.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hammeredspace posted:

I played this game for an hour and all I did was press square to kill gold people and sheep. There was a boss and all of a sudden I could use magic again which wasn't nearly effective as just mashin' that there square button so then after that I had to run to some village somewhere and more golden people kept appearing and then five different tutorials about crafting poo poo popped up and then uuuugggghhhhhhhh

Does it ever get any more complicated than pressing square to win? I read the posts about fishing and holy poo poo what is fishing doing in a game like this? The way the OP read and the videos I had watched I was expecting something a whole lot different than broken-rear end Devil May Cry with resource grinding.

The gameplay never really gets better, no. Some of the later boss fights are a little more fun, but a lot of the game is illusion based on the characters and setting. It's easier to ignore how repetitive and dull the gameplay is when you're in an interesting situation. There are some really impressive moments, but they're bookended by a lot of really dull moments. If the illusion doesn't work for you, you lose a lot. I would say the bosses are the high point of the game, but not all of them.

The OP is basically exaggerating on an extended scale and I think a lot of people are letting their appeal for the storyline and characters overwhelm their problems with the gameplay. You should just be pretty glad you're still not trying to get all achievements.

With that said, it's not really DMC. It's more like an extremely budget Zelda.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 3, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I really like the gameplay actually, I've fought like 3-4 bosses so far (intro doesn't count) and they were all fun as hell. As I mentioned elsewhere, I wish the bosses in games like Darksiders were this good.

Only part that drags on is the fetch-questing of which you don't need to do a whole lot for the storyline.

It's really nothing like DMC at all in my opinion.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I haven't been able to find any info on this one way or another, but are Kaine and No. 7 playable at all, do they help you in combat, or are they basically just useless outside of cutscenes/don't actually travel with you most of the time?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I just got Kaine and she follows me around and fights things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I haven't been able to find any info on this one way or another, but are Kaine and No. 7 playable at all, do they help you in combat, or are they basically just useless outside of cutscenes/don't actually travel with you most of the time?

They follow you around as basically invincible AI partners who occasionally attack or heal you most of the time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The gameplay is basically a Zelda game dressing up as a God of War game. You've got a basic attack, a slightly stronger one, a couple based on situations, a bag of tricks (magic) and you mix them all together to kill poo poo. Only instead of it all playing out slowly it goes fast like GoW.

Also those partners can actually get killed if they take enough hits, early on Kaine died a lot because she kept running into that giant monster in the Southern Plain

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

Cool! That's better than nothing. I get annoyed in action games when characters are only cutscene powerful.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Also those partners can actually get killed if they take enough hits, early on Kaine died a lot because she kept running into that giant monster in the Southern Plain

That guy's a loving jerk, I tried to fight him earlier and he one-shot me :argh:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm surprised at the number of people who are basically saying 'I bought this game without really knowing what it is, and I am confused and angry now'. It's a Cavia action-RPG a confirmed to be a followup to Drakengard. You don't go into something like that expecting technical mastery or perfectly tuned gameplay. You go in expecting style, atmosphere and that strange vibe that you only get from games that genuinely feel like an individuals vision, rather than something designed to a list of bullet-points.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
I'm also surprised that people seem to dislike the combat in this game but liked it in Darksiders, the latter of which I personally found to have a clunky mess of constant button mashing. This game at least has evil spammable magic attacks to spice things up with. Also the description of the game's combat as a Zelda game is pretty apt - in fact, this game does not even attempt to hide the fact that it took strong inspiration from more recent Zelda games.

Those of you who have completed the sand dungeon know exactly what I'm talking about here.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just a reminder, this is the only game of recent times that allows you to powerslide a pig and punch sheep in the face with a giant red fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I'm surprised at the number of people who are basically saying 'I bought this game without really knowing what it is, and I am confused and angry now'. It's a Cavia action-RPG a confirmed to be a followup to Drakengard. You don't go into something like that expecting technical mastery or perfectly tuned gameplay. You go in expecting style, atmosphere and that strange vibe that you only get from games that genuinely feel like an individuals vision, rather than something designed to a list of bullet-points.

People in other threads (and even in this OP) have basically said "No, seriously, this game is really good! I know it's by Cavia but..." ect, ect, ect. People are buying this on recommendation that it is somehow not what they were expecting.

UselessLurker posted:

I'm also surprised that people seem to dislike the combat in this game but liked it in Darksiders, the latter of which I personally found to have a clunky mess of constant button mashing. This game at least has evil spammable magic attacks to spice things up with.

I wasn't really fond of Darksiders either, so that doesn't really work for me. Nier is much better written the Darksiders at least.

• Locked thread