Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Anatharon posted:

Nier takes place in the same universe as Drakengard?! :psyboom:

I thought Drakengard was some random game I played as a kid nobody else had even heard of. I've gotta play this now.

Is there any particular reason to play the PS3 version over the 360 one or vice versa?

It's not the same "universe", the stories are directly connected although it's not super obvious, even after beating the game.

PS3 and 360 are pretty much identical in the west, in Japan the 360 had dad Nier (what we got) and PS3 had brother Nier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Anatharon posted:

Nier takes place in the same universe as Drakengard?! :psyboom:

I thought Drakengard was some random game I played as a kid nobody else had even heard of. I've gotta play this now.

Is there any particular reason to play the PS3 version over the 360 one or vice versa?
Unless you live in Japan there's no difference between the 360 and PS3 versions.

*Gah, didn't see the next page.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

My copy of Grimoire Nier came in today :woop: Got it from CDJapan, if anyone's still looking for a copy. I was expecting it to be harder to track down, or more expensive than it turned out to be, but there you go.

Anyway, I know there's translation projects for the game around, but has anyone added the translations to any scans? I just find it easier to read that way, rather than going back and forth between the book and the Google doc.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Anyway, I know there's translation projects for the game around, but has anyone added the translations to any scans? I just find it easier to read that way, rather than going back and forth between the book and the Google doc.

Not as far as I know. It wouldn't be too difficult to do something like that though, excepting a few pages. Speaking of translations, I found a blog listing one for the first Drakengard stuff:
http://rikoren.dreamwidth.org/17443.html#cutid3

Doesn't go into too much depth, and much of it is already known, still something, I guess.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I know the general consensus about sidequests is to not do them if they sound like a pain, but if I do no sidequests would I miss out on any important story bits or useful items?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Genocyber posted:

I know the general consensus about sidequests is to not do them if they sound like a pain, but if I do no sidequests would I miss out on any important story bits or useful items?
You need to do some sidequests to get weapons in order to unlock the later endings. Said sidequests are pretty easy and usually entail just killing some Shades.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Genocyber posted:

You need to do a sidequest to get your vehicle. Said sidequest is available from the start of the game, so that's alright.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Genocyber posted:

You're going to end up doing some sidequests by accident more likely than not, seeking to do none of them seems like strange behavior.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Liver Disaster posted:

You're going to end up doing some sidequests by accident more likely than not, seeking to do none of them seems like strange behavior.

That would make an awesome achievment. The perfect troll.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

LorneReams posted:

That would make an awesome achievment. The perfect troll.

Considering this game already has dickish sidequests of all sorts (thanks, easily missable sidequest in the sea town pre timeskip which kept my file at 99%), it would be no surprise. Should give you like a golden Emil face trophy though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

If you're going for the speedrun achievement, it's really in your best interests to avoid most of them anyway. As long as you have enough cash for the Phoenix spear from enemy drops, you shouldn't need to do any at all.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I dunno if this was posted already, but I stumbled across a new Drakengard 3 trailer earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNMZPnVzA48

The music makes me excited. :3:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Brackhar posted:

I dunno if this was posted already, but I stumbled across a new Drakengard 3 trailer earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNMZPnVzA48

The music makes me excited. :3:

We're all talking about that stuff in the Drakengard 3 thread now. Come on over :)

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Rasamune posted:

We're all talking about that stuff in the Drakengard 3 thread now. Come on over :)

Oh. Well then!

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
So, after unintentionally getting Platinum in Drakengard 3, I'm probably going to play NieR Replicant. Does anyone know what the differences are between Replicant, and Gestalt? I've already finished Gestalt on 360 a while ago. Just wondering.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Megalixir posted:

So, after unintentionally getting Platinum in Drakengard 3, I'm probably going to play NieR Replicant. Does anyone know what the differences are between Replicant, and Gestalt? I've already finished Gestalt on 360 a while ago. Just wondering.

Instead of a burly dude your main character is a pretty dude.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Megalixir posted:

Plot context and undertones, that's about it. Oh and playing 1/3rd of the game with a really annoying main character.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
When everyone's getting ready for the wedding, Emil asks Nier if he'd ever consider getting married again; Nier kind-of laughs it off, embarrassing Emil.

What is the dialogue in Replicant?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Megalixir posted:

It's typical effeminate jrpg young male character obsessed with saving his sister vs. burly scarred aged old man willing to burn the world to save his daughter.

After playing Gestalt through all 4 endings I can't imagine Replicant having anywhere near the emotional impact and punch. There's just something so much more powerful about the father-daughter relationship rather then the brother-sister thing, given the obsession with sibling incest in Japan's cultural productions.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Haven't actually played it, but the timeskip seems like it'd be way more substantial to Brother Nier than Father Nier. Brother's world is completely shattered, while Father's really seems like he should've seen this kind of stuff happen before. You also run into a pretty big problem with Father Nier's living situation. Why would the town hire some useless skinny guys as guards when they have this hulking shadow slaying badass close by?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Replicant Nier has more significant changes after the timeskip. His design is different, he's more noticeably older, and his personality is much more bitter than before.

Also, Kaine is censored with beeps which is kind if hilarious.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 5, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Momomo posted:

Haven't actually played it, but the timeskip seems like it'd be way more substantial to Brother Nier than Father Nier. Brother's world is completely shattered, while Father's really seems like he should've seen this kind of stuff happen before. You also run into a pretty big problem with Father Nier's living situation. Why would the town hire some useless skinny guys as guards when they have this hulking shadow slaying badass close by?

"Hey, hulking old guy, can you work as a gate guard?"

"I don't have time for this. MY DAUGHTER IS SICK!"

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Bro Nier starts out as infinitely worse than Dad Nier but his development over the course of the game is so much better that Dad Nier seems flat by comparison when all is said and done.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Nier should have started with Young Brother and ended with Old Father instead of doing the 2-game deal.

Mug posted:

When everyone's getting ready for the wedding, Emil asks Nier if he'd ever consider getting married again; Nier kind-of laughs it off, embarrassing Emil.

What is the dialogue in Replicant?

It's been like three years since I've played Replicant but I think Emil just straight up asks if Bro Nier ever plans to get married period. It's not that big of a jump IIRC.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Some of the early side quest make more sense as Brother Nier to me, since they'll things like buy certain items, which makes it seem like the villagers are giving charity jobs to a teen trying to take care of his sister.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
So I have had this game sitting around for awhile and I had tried to once start it, but that never went anywhere. I recently saw that Drakengard 3 had come out in Japan and got some motivation to come back and play this game.

So what should I know before going into this? I know that trying to do all side quests can be maddening, something about some part of the game with fishing being really confusing, and that choosing the wrong answer at the end of the game can delete your save file. Is there anything else I should know? Also, is the DLC worth picking up? And if so, when is the best time to play it? Like, is it for after you beat all the endings, or is it something you just randomly can play at any point in a playthrough?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

NIV3K posted:

So I have had this game sitting around for awhile and I had tried to once start it, but that never went anywhere. I recently saw that Drakengard 3 had come out in Japan and got some motivation to come back and play this game.

So what should I know before going into this? I know that trying to do all side quests can be maddening, something about some part of the game with fishing being really confusing, and that choosing the wrong answer at the end of the game can delete your save file. Is there anything else I should know? Also, is the DLC worth picking up? And if so, when is the best time to play it? Like, is it for after you beat all the endings, or is it something you just randomly can play at any point in a playthrough?

The only thing you need to know about fishing is to keep an eye on where the objective indicator is on your map. Basically the place where you get the tutorial for fishing is not where you should actually be fishing to progress the story.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Just beat this for the first time. I cried, dude.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get why everyone says to just skip the side quests. They really aren't that bad. I've got 100% twice so what so I know. (Still working on that weapon upgrading on and off. Last I need for the plat :()

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Commander Keenan posted:

Just beat this for the first time. I cried, dude.

Now beat it again.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

jonjonaug posted:

Now beat it again.

And then again, making sure collect all the weapons. And then when you get to the very end of the third run, when they ask you that question, choose the second option.

Don't actually choose the second option. First, at least.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

cmykjester posted:

I don't get why everyone says to just skip the side quests. They really aren't that bad. I've got 100% twice so what so I know. (Still working on that weapon upgrading on and off. Last I need for the plat :()
Because a lot of them are just busywork. Certain items are really frustrating to get (Mysterious Switches...!) and, given that you get the trophy at 50% completion anyway, just might not be worth it.

That said (to the fellow asking for advice), it's not actually a good idea to just skip sidequests; go and accept every single one. There's no penalty for ignoring them if it looks like they're going to be a pain in the rear end, and most sidequests trigger amusing inter-party dialogue when you accept them.

NIV3K posted:

Also, is the DLC worth picking up? And if so, when is the best time to play it? Like, is it for after you beat all the endings, or is it something you just randomly can play at any point in a playthrough?
This is really subjective, and I'd suggest you play through the whole game at least once before deciding one way or the other. The main body of the DLC is a series of combat challenges (playable any time, but only feasible during a New Game+; they're actually pretty tough), and it just unlocks some fluff (three weapons, alternate costumes, a sheep-punting minigame). I had fun with it, and it made getting the platinum trophy a good bit easier, but it's not at all necessary.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

So, can someone explain how Cultivation works? Yonah asked for Wheat, so I planted a Wheat Seedling and its been a few hours and no change. How long is this supposed to take? And are there Quests or something tied to growing things? Should I be growing something specific, like is there a cash crop in this game?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Cultivation IIRC works in real world time, as in by the hour. You can accelerate this by saving, turning your console's internal clock forward, then loading that save.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unless you feel like subjecting yourself to one of the biggest TROLLED BY CAVIA moments just ignore the existence of the garden.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

dis astranagant posted:

Unless you feel like subjecting yourself to one of the biggest TROLLED BY CAVIA moments just ignore the existence of the garden.

But how will you ever 100% the sidequests by finishing a late-game quest to cultivate 10 pink moonflower seeds all just to get 5,000 gold!?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

I wish this wasn't true. I just did the Fishing quests and they were kind of fun. It was kind of surreal in a good way to be playing this hack and slash game that also had fishing and gardening. Like Cavia Rune Factory. Thanks for letting me know that gardening is basically not worth the effort.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There are a few random requests it makes marginally easier but none of them give you anything and it's all to lull you into a false sense of security about a late game one that takes pretty much a literal week to do if you don't dick around with your system clock.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Policenaut posted:

Cultivation IIRC works in real world time, as in by the hour. You can accelerate this by saving, turning your console's internal clock forward, then loading that save.

That's cheating! I bet you do the same thing with Animal Crossing, jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Megalixir posted:

That's cheating! I bet you do the same thing with Animal Crossing, jerk.

I play Animal Crossing legit, but Cavia can to straight to hell (and they did). I needed my trophies.

• Locked thread