Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Nier has been sitting on my shelf for ages, I always knew it was an underrated fringe title I was eventually going to get around to playing, but I had no idea how underrated it really was.

Everything about it is amazing, even the sub par graphics and sidequests, which are obviously the weaker aspects, just became so endearing.

I recall someone earlier in the thread posted that Nier, despite its rough package has this soul to it that few games ever manage, I can't help but agree. (Ironic considering the subject matter of its story)

My only complaint is that the endings, all 4, are weak sauce, completely anticlimactic considering the scale of the previous bosses, and explained very little about the mystery of the world or characters.

This is such a shame in contrast to Drakengard which was an inexcusably lovely game that eventually culminated into endings that were so crazy they almost redeemed it....almost.

After Nier I decided to brave Drakenguard, I even went the effort with emulation, HD, 60fps, even threw in a widescreen hack.....it, didn't help. After two chapters I just went through darkids LP. I didn't know how bad it was.

I didn't know.... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

sleeptalker posted:

If you haven't already, read the summaries/translations of the supplementary stuff Cavia produced (Grimoire Nier and the two drama CDs) linked at the bottom of the OP. It's crazy how ambitious they were, and I don't think they could have fit it all into the game without the quality of the game suffering for it.

What they should have done for Loop 3 is have all the shades drop the timeline notes and documents that are found in Grimoire Nier, then the player would still have plenty of additional content to find, similar to Loop 2. Pretty easy fix really, the player gets a ton of backstory or cut content with very little effort required on behalf of the dev team.

alcharagia posted:

Playing on Easy makes the game a lot more fun because people die a lot quicker. There's less variety of powerups from killchains, sure, but it makes the game get to the point a lot faster. Any weapons that aren't from chapters 1-8 aren't available on Easy, but most of those are easy to remove from your field of vision with Arioch's hyper destructo-magic.

...Now, the air battles that require Normal mode, those are indefensibly just way too hard in a bad way, but :v:

I hate mindless Dynasty Warrior army slaughter games, and Drakengard is a like a bad one of those, I got everything I wanted from the game in the LP anyway. Although I am cautiously optimistic about Drakengard 3 having passable gameplay with a return to levels of crazy found in Drakengard 1.

A game where you play as an albino promiscuous psychopathic bionic songstress goddess thing with flowers growing from her eyes while riding a dragon sounds like such a clusterfuck that even if its bad it might be good.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

It's not that ending D is bad, it's just the final boss as a whole was anticlimactic, and I did not feel there was enough there at the end to justify cutting it into 4 parts, because Nier only has 2 endings in a narrative sense.

Really all the events should have happened in just two endings, A/C and B/D.

Nier kills Shadowlord, has the conversation with Yonah by the window (Ending A, always happens)

Shadowlord morns the loss of his comrades but is reunited with gestalt Yonah in his memories/afterlife (Ending B, always happens),

Kaine walks away but starts to turn into a shade and Nier must kill her (Ending C, Ending 1) Or sacrifice himself to save her. (Ending D, Ending 2).

Contrast that with Drakengard, which clearly had the content to spread itself across multiple endings. There you are going back, changing the events leading up to finale causing the player to battle different epic bosses and either save or doom the world in distinctly different ways.

Thats why I say Niers endings felt a bit weak as a whole, not that they were bad, they just seem unnecessarily fractured.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 11, 2013

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I think Drakengard 3 will tie to Nier, because wild speculation, Zero is the Grotesquires Queen.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

sleeptalker posted:

I thought it was implied that that was Arioch. At least, the Queen didn't show up until right after Arioch's last scene. Of course we still have basically no idea how the Watchers/Grotesqueness/Gods/whatever work, so it's impossible to say anything for certain.

The reason I am so convinced the Grotesquires Queen and Songstresses are connected is that they both manipulate magic through song. Zero is hellbent on murdering her other songstress sisters so that she is the only one who can do that. There are six sisters and six seals. Assuming Zero succeeds, or not, or if things go drastically wrong, (This is a Drakengard game, of course they will) the end result will be the Grotesquires Queen. They somehow manage to seal it away till the Empire/Watcher cult eventually breaks the seals.

Drakengard!

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Despite there only being six sisters their dominant personality traits seem to be skittering close to the seven deadly sins, Zero being wrath, One pride, Three sloth, Four envy, etc.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Wait. Why is One in the manga male and an utautai sister in the game? Are they two entirely different albino song to magic manipulators who share the same name?

I don't know if Red-Eye syndrome in the Draken manga is the same thing as White Chlorination Syndrome in Nier. If that is what you an implying.

Red Eye was the sentient leader of the Legion. Legion were humans exposed to maso, and infected with White Chlorination Syndrome, forced to choose between a pact or death. Those who choose the pact THEN became insane, aggressive, and mindless white humanoid creatures. No one went insane just being exposed to maso, it had to be voluntarily.

Red-Eye syndrome could however be a type of Watcher possession, such as what happened to Manah and Inuart. Then again it could all be one in the same. Inuart voluntarily submitted in the end because of jealousy and Mannah was already mentally unstable before the Watchers went anywhere near her. I just find it hard to believe that everyone present at Caim's birthday would voluntarily submit themselves to Watcher/become Legion for no reason at all.

Or maybe the manga just sucks.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Heres something about the way Taro goes about creating Nier and Drakengard.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/13/learn-how-to-write-stories-the-nier-and-drakengard-way/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

NIV3K posted:

Is there any reason to be using anything other than Beastbain at this point? I bought it really early on and it's stronger than everything. Also, it doesn't seem like the Weapon's weight has any effect on anything. So it seems like there is no reason to use any of the weaker swords.

I used Beastbain for the entire game, your magic gets ludicrously powerful when you upgrade it.

• Locked thread