Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Syvere posted:

I have a feeling you're trying to fish in the wrong place. You need to go to the beach where there are a dozen of seals near the lighthouse. And no matter what the game says you need to pull the stick BACK and then slightly do BACK-RIGHT or BACK-LEFT motion as the fish moves. And remember to press X only once to start reeling and reveal the fish's HP.

Well thanks for this, I basically came to this thread to say that fishing in Nier is the most poorly explained piece of poo poo contrivance I have seen in a while. Maybe now that a third party actually explained the mechanics I can get it done.

EDIT: Jesus gently caress, I guess when the game says "hey go right down to the beach next to me and fish up your shaman fish" it actually meant the beach a mile away. Nice of the game to explain things like fishing levels and such!

ImpAtom posted:

"Good" and "bad" isn't a either/or scale. There are grey areas, and I think Nier falls really in that area. It isn't bad, but it isn't good either. The good aspects are held back by bad aspects, and while it's possible to get enjoyment out of the game (as I did), that doesn't mean it is something you can recommend to people without a boatload of caveats.

I realize I'm at the beginning of the game still, but so far I'd agree with you. This is a game caveats were designed for. But still, there's something charming about it...

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xythar posted:

OHGOD

Again, the thing you're missing is this: games are not reviewed with a FAQ in hand. If something requires reading a bunch of FAQs to become apparent, it's probably so poorly designed as to be a detriment to anyone not playing with said FAQs in hand. I.e. bad game design.

I wouldn't give Nier a 5 but I can see why someone would. The game makes itself pretty hard to approach and love.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xythar posted:

But I'm not playing with an FAQ either :confused: There isn't even one available yet.

You're just talking with a bunch of other dudes on an Internet message board about the most efficient way to play the game, just like the rest of us.

Seriously: Nier does a criminally poor job of explaining many central mechanics. That's just plain poor game design.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Best moment so far (with the exception of Kainé's assless pants): the prince finding the royal mask. Holy Zelda tribute!

Question, though: does anyone have a good method for fighting wolves? I'm trying to do the Little Hero sidequest which involves finding a wolf lair and it's a grim loving deathmarch.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 4, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xythar posted:

Charged-up Dark Hand is my strategy for pretty much everything so far, that included.

Yeah it works but jesus, gently caress whoever thought that section was fun.

• Locked thread