Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
That Domke J-1 bag is looking pretty damned tempting.

Anyone have experience with Apecase? I like the yellow insides for contrast and the reasonable price.

pwn fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

pwn posted:

That Domke J-1 bag is looking pretty damned tempting.

The one thing to remember is that it is a HUGE bag. If you have ... small gear or small amounts of gear, then you might look at the J-2 or J-3 because the bigger one is a bit cavernous.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

TsarAleksi posted:

The one thing to remember is that it is a HUGE bag. If you have ... small gear or small amounts of gear, then you might look at the J-2 or J-3 because the bigger one is a bit cavernous.
Small amounts, but I like leaving a lens on the camera when I store it. Right now I'm using a bag I've been borrowing from a friend for a hella long time, it has no dividers, everything's just knocking around in there.

Here's what I want to keep in my bag:

D90 w/ grip
F4 w/ grip
D40 backup

70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF
kit 18-55
50 1.8 that usually stays on the D90

SB-600
Quantaray flash

Plus little pockets for rolls of film, cards, batteries, and notes/business cards.

So yeah, little babby kit. The Domke doesn't look that big in photos but it could be overkill.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
Yeah if you wanna put both cameras in the bag then I would go with the bigger one.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Nondo posted:

Nice RRS L-bracket. Love those things.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

The other day I upgraded my backpack to a LowePro Fastpak 350. It may be huge with no rain cover and not aesthetically pleasing but it fits everything I own and is quite comfy.

It'll comfortably fit a 15" - 17" laptop, although the back is still firm without one.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I am in the market for 2 camera bags. I need to replace my medium sized bag with a small one and a large one. I have been looking at this http://products.lowepro.com/product/Pro-Trekker-400-AW,2166,16.htm which looks good but I would also like something smaller that I can use when I am not carrying my super-telephoto. I am also possibly looking for another for when I am going to be hiking/camping and will be wearing a backpack with all my camping gear, I would probably only have 2 (maybe 3) lenses + body.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Huzzah for this thread. Just today I was in a photo store, saturated with bag specs and pricetags and ready to kick somebody. For a guy with no laptop, one body and a few lenses the Crumpler Keystone is looking drat snazzy (and it can carry really long lenses if desired). I wish it weren't so expensive.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dread Head posted:

I am also possibly looking for another for when I am going to be hiking/camping and will be wearing a backpack with all my camping gear, I would probably only have 2 (maybe 3) lenses + body.

One thing you might want to think about is something that can work with a chest harness or belt system so that you can carry it while also carrying a backpack full of camping gear.

In other news, the Think Tank Retrospective 30 looks like one sexy beast of a bag:
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-30-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx

It's like my Crumpler 7 Million, but with a better layout!

HPL fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 6, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

HPL posted:

One thing you might want to think about is something that can work with a chest harness or belt system so that you can carry it while also carrying a backpack full of camping gear.

I was thinking some kind of chest unit, but never used or looked at one before.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I have a Lowepro Slingshot AW200 and I think it's a really great bag. It has room for my Rebel XSi with battery grip and 18-200mm lens, 430EX Flash, 18-55mm kit lens, and other stuff like cables and batteries/chargers. I could fit more into it. The way you can swing it around to access your things is really convenient.

I also have a Black Rapid RS7 strap which is also really awesome. The carrying style feels very natural and it's much less awkward than a regular strap.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dread Head posted:

I am also possibly looking for another for when I am going to be hiking/camping and will be wearing a backpack with all my camping gear, I would probably only have 2 (maybe 3) lenses + body.

You'll want something that will go on your pack's waist belt, something like the Cirrus in my post above. Keep a short zoom on the camera and your lenses in your pack.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

a foolish pianist posted:

You'll want something that will go on your pack's waist belt, something like the Cirrus in my post above. Keep a short zoom on the camera and your lenses in your pack.

I do this but keep the lenses strapped to the outside of the bike. It sucks to lose a wildlife shot when your long lens is inside a pack. Little tiny carabiners (like for keychains) are great for attaching lens bags to your pack.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
I was looking at a few backpacks over the last couple weeks but couldn't find anything that I really liked. Checked out a Tamrac Aero Speedpack 85 and a Tenba Shootout, but neither quite fit the bill.

Picked up a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home from somebody on Craigslist today for $30. Very nice bag - especially for the money. I especially like the dividers in the 7MDH. The make it easy to fit a lot of gear in the bag.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How stupid is my current plan to stash my two smaller lenses (Pentax DA 18-55 and FA 35-80) in one belt-attachable lens bag, end-to-end? I like keeping my telephoto zoom on the body in the holster, and I'd like to have my other lenses reasonably accessible. Am I going to destroy my lenses this way?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

How stupid is my current plan to stash my two smaller lenses (Pentax DA 18-55 and FA 35-80) in one belt-attachable lens bag, end-to-end? I like keeping my telephoto zoom on the body in the holster, and I'd like to have my other lenses reasonably accessible. Am I going to destroy my lenses this way?

As long as they have caps on them and don't move around a lot it shouldn't be an issue. Where do you put the long telephoto when you switch lenses though?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

I store lenses like that all the time. My 20mm prime fits right into to 50mm lens hood and same with my 28mm and 85mm, just not as neatly. I have never had any issues.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Wooten posted:

As long as they have caps on them and don't move around a lot it shouldn't be an issue. Where do you put the long telephoto when you switch lenses though?
Good question, I hadn't reached that decision yet. I guess I'll need 2 lens bags, or else the telephoto will go back down into the holster while a shorter lens is on the camera. I'll bring all 3 lenses to the camera store this afternoon and play around, thanks for bringing that up.

EDIT: I bought a ThinkTank Skin 50, a kind of general-purpose little bag with a bit of padding. It takes my two smaller lenses side-by-side, and I can get at either of them pretty quickly. It fits on my belt OK, and wasn't in the way when I took it for a walk this afternoon. It also holds the telephoto (without closing the top flap) when I've got one of the other lenses on the camera. I'm really digging this ThinkTank stuff, so far all of their bags I've looked at have been good.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 9, 2010

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I got a Kata DR-467 for Christmas and I absolutely love it. It holds 4 lenses, your camera, a netbook, and various other things.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
For those considering Pelican cases, here's a look at the two biggest models they make, using my own poorly-composed shots. We use these to cart around scientific equipment. The largest Pelican cases are available only in black.

Pelican 1660 (very dusty)

It's a bit larger than a normal 48-litre picnic cooler.

Pelican 1690 (too large for checked luggage on airlines!)

That's a tape measure inside, extended to about 14 inches. A 15" rugged laptop fits into the slot on the right.

These cost upwards of $500, and most places that sell Pelicans don't stock them, so they usually take a couple of weeks to arrive. They're huge, heavy, very awkward, and difficult to work with - we had to air-cargo the larger one last year, and I think that cost about $100, and insurance was not available. They're each held closed by 7 latches. But they will protect your gear, guaranteed (except against sharks, bears, and small children).

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
I have a small Lowepro backpack and an old Mini Zoom shoulder bag, but I only use a Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home. I really just wanted a comfortable, small bag that didn't scream CAMERA HERE. The velcro silencers are also a great touch, as I like to be quiet and sneaky. Pretty straight forward, otherwise. I keep a D40, 35 f/1.8 with hood not reversed, AF-D 80-200, and the kit 18-55--as well as a novel or two, notebook, pop-up diffuser, pencils, etc. There's plenty of room to spare, so I think it will do nicely once I get a larger body and more glass. 3 lenses is always going to be enough for me, though.

It's also rugged enough to let drop and roll while climbing about cliffs and whatnot, if you do much of that.

scottch fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 9, 2010

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
I have:

Think Tank Airport Antidote
Think Tank Airport International
Think Tank Streetwalker
Think Tank Streetwalker Pro
Billingham Hadley Pro
Lowepro Micro Trekker
Lowepro Slingshot 200
Domke F-2
Domke F-5

My digital kit lives in the Streetwalker Pro. My Hasselblad kit lives in the Streetwalker. My large format kit is in the Airport Antidote. All of the rest of the bags are pretty situational. My Leicas used to be in the Hadley but that one right now is vacant.

I am willing to write up the bags if anyone wants to know about a particular one. The streetwalkers are my favorite bags, especially the Pro. It's extremely well made, fits nicely, has an excellent tripod carrying system. I would recommend them above all of the other bags I have own or owned in the past.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

killabyte posted:

I am willing to write up the bags if anyone wants to know about a particular one. The streetwalkers are my favorite bags, especially the Pro. It's extremely well made, fits nicely, has an excellent tripod carrying system. I would recommend them above all of the other bags I have own or owned in the past.

One thing I've found incredibly frustrating about backpacks and sling bags is accessing lenses and other stuff that isn't in the quick-access areas which is why I favor shoulder bags. How is the Streetwalker?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Byte, I'd love to hear about the Slingshot.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm curious about the tripod carrying system of the Streetwalkers. What kind of shooting do you typically do when you're, um, Streetwalking? ;-*

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

HPL posted:

One thing I've found incredibly frustrating about backpacks and sling bags is accessing lenses and other stuff that isn't in the quick-access areas which is why I favor shoulder bags. How is the Streetwalker?

The streetwalker is like any other backpack in that it has to be removed to get access to your gear. It is well padded and carries the weight very well. I can lug around a D700 and all the fixins' and it's no problem. My back doesn't seem to get as sweaty with it either, as it has an "air channel" sort of thing. It is deeper and narrower than most backpacks which I prefer as well, so lenses go in vertically.

Tripod carry system is very nice. It has a pouch built in that you put two of the legs in and then strap it down on the bottom and another strap on the top. To remove the tripod all you do is unclip the straps and pull it out. Nothing weird to mess with it and it doesn't hang below you at all, and keeps the weight centered in the middle of the pack. It's the best one out there for tripods. The Pro is definitely better for larger tripods but the regular streetwalker is OK as well, I'd rather just carry a monopod with that one.

I typically shoot landscape type things so I generally put my bag down and work out of it that way.

Slingshot 200

The slingshot 200 is a decent bag. I use it when I only want to carry a body and one lens and maybe a couple of accessories. My biggest problem is that my back seems to get really sweaty with it, and it doesn't carry the weight very well of heavier gear. You can fit a surprising amount in it though, and you can work out of it reasonably well "on the go". For the price, it's nice enough. I wish the top section was a little more thought out, it's kind of a weird shape and maybe needs a small divider in it. I actually crammed an entire Bronica ETRSi in to the top of it once.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

killabyte posted:

Slingshot 200

The slingshot 200 is a decent bag. I use it when I only want to carry a body and one lens and maybe a couple of accessories. My biggest problem is that my back seems to get really sweaty with it, and it doesn't carry the weight very well of heavier gear. You can fit a surprising amount in it though, and you can work out of it reasonably well "on the go". For the price, it's nice enough. I wish the top section was a little more thought out, it's kind of a weird shape and maybe needs a small divider in it. I actually crammed an entire Bronica ETRSi in to the top of it once.

Awesome. I'm looking at the newer slingshot 202 and Classified Slingshot so this gives me something to go on. Thanks :)

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX
Picked up a Thinktank Urban Disguise 60 the other day, and I'm in love. I prefer having a single, do-it-all bag, and this is pretty much perfect. It holds an assload of stuff, and it's built like a tank, plus it's quite comfortable. Thinktank's warranties are also incredible. You break, they fix, no questions asked. My Lowepro Fastpack 250 will now be rotting in my closet, waiting for the day I sell my current gear to replace it with a FF setup. Lowepro officially sucks rear end in the face of Thinktank (helped along by the founder and head designer being ex-Lowepro designers.) I can do a review (w/photos) should someone desire it, but right now I'm feeling too lazy to do so.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Those look great. If you could at least show a picture of the interior and how things fit, that'd be awesome. Thinktank's website doesn't seem to want to show you the inside of some of their smaller models.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 10, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I saw Haggins mention the Naneu Adventure K5 in another thread, I'm intrigued. Has anyone tried this bad boy out? It looks like it might actually be decent for backpacking.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.

HPL posted:

In other news, the Think Tank Retrospective 30 looks like one sexy beast of a bag:
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-30-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx

It's like my Crumpler 7 Million, but with a better layout!

The Retrospective series looks awesome, the 30 is probably way too big for my needs, but I might pick up a 10 when they are available.

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010

MAkev posted:

The Retrospective series looks awesome, the 30 is probably way too big for my needs, but I might pick up a 10 when they are available.

I'm going to pick one up when they come out as well. I read somewhere that they are going to be on sale mid May for USA and June for the Canadians.

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX

DJExile posted:

Those look great. If you could at least show a picture of the interior and how things fit, that'd be awesome. Thinktank's website doesn't seem to want to show you the inside of some of their smaller models.

Here's some quick shots. I did it at work so I'd have more gear to jam in there, but it was busy and I forget the extra dividers at home (There's 4 attached in the gear compartment when you buy it, and a bag with 8 extras of various sizes), though it was kinda busy so I had to make due. Keep in mind with some actual organization you could fit way more in here.

Primary compartment with a 1D Mark III, 70-200 2.8IS (attached), 24-70L, 100-400, and my AE-1 Program with 50 1.8 that I always have on hand. The 1D made it a bit tight, but nothing the bag couldn't handle.

Secondary body pockets with a 7D and 50D (for size). Could easily fit bodies with grips in these pockets. That red thing is the Pee Wee Pixel Pocket Rocket...yeah. Holds 4 CF cards and 3 SD cards, either this one or the larger versions come included with every non-holster bag. Hot.

Another view that shows the size better. It only gets bigger physically when you put stuff in those secondary gear compartments.

All this, plus enough room for, I'd say, a couple of speedlites, maybe another lens or two. You could honestly get a 1D series body with a 300 2.8L attached in that main compartment, and still get another lens or 2 elsewhere in the bag. It's retarded. And enough room for the bulkiest of 15", and most 17" notebooks. The notebook compartment also has a divider so you could put extras in with your laptop (like a charger), or a couple of netbooks, etc.

:swoon:

gently caress, maybe keeping my AE-1 in my bag with the shutter cocked is a bad idea. I just realized at some point when arranging all that gear I got a sweet shot of pure darkness inside the bag.

Engine Skull fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 11, 2010

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Not sure if this is of interest to anyone, but seeing DJExile's mention of an inside view of some of the smaller ThinkTank bags...

Digital Holster 20

Click here for the full 800x560 image.

That's a Canadian quarter and a 49mm lens cap for scale.

Skin 50

Click here for the full 800x713 image.

With my Pentax FA 35-80mm rattling around inside.

Seconding the love for ThinkTank stuff. Once I accumulate some more stuff I'll be looking for a proper all-in-one bag, and I'll probably reach for the Urban Disguise series first.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Got my RS-7 yesterday. It's pretty sweet. I've been wanting a camera strap that I can wear comfortably over the shoulder for quite a while and this really fits the bill. It came with the latest version of the tripod mount, the FastenR-3. It's fairly low profile and while it does make using a battery grip in portrait a little more uncomfortable, it's not nearly as bad as some people were making it out to be, but then again, like I said, the FR-3 seems to be designed with that in mind. I'm looking into alternatives other than the tripod mount so I can use a tripod with the strap attached.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
My thoughts on the RS-7 is that someone could slash the lens if they were walking behind you or accidentally bump into it. (I don't trust New Yorkers.)

http://vimeo.com/6150158

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mannequin posted:

My thoughts on the RS-7 is that someone could slash the lens if they were walking behind you or accidentally bump into it. (I don't trust New Yorkers.)

a) I always use lens hoods
b) I prefer to have my camera at my side, not behind me
c) If someone is going to go through the trouble of slashing a lens, they are idiots considering that they could just as easily hit the lens release button, grab the lens off the camera and run away with it

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010

Mannequin posted:

I was also thinking about purchase a B-rapid strap, but I did a bit of googleing and have come across many cases of the Tripod mount screw and Clip opening by itself over time and dropping a few cameras. I would be very careful with that strap.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Bongodrums posted:

I was also thinking about purchase a B-rapid strap, but I did a bit of googleing and have come across many cases of the Tripod mount screw and Clip opening by itself over time and dropping a few cameras. I would be very careful with that strap.

I find that a little surprising. The clip has a screw lock to keep it from opening accidentally, and mine is often a two-handed operation to unclip the drat thing. So at least from my experiences, it seems plenty secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bongodrums posted:

If you do a bit more digging, you'll find that the majority of people with issues with the strap are talking about the older versions which indeed were a little dodgy.

• Locked thread