Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

HPL posted:

I'm looking into alternatives other than the tripod mount so I can use a tripod with the strap attached.

Depending on your lens, mount the strap-lock to a tripod collar? I think there's a video that shows this being done on the Blackrapid site, but I could be totally wrong.

Also: I ended up buying a Crumpler Keystone for my upcoming trip and I am so far impressed. A little pricey, sure, but I can hold everything I own in it with ease (XSi and grip with 17-50 Tamron attached, longer telephoto, nifty 50, miscellaneous stuff like filters and blowers and charger, etc...), and un-velcro the entire camera pouch to use it as a very capacious daypack that doesn't look awkward. The only thing that really bugs me is the taper of the inside... makes getting the velcro dividers in a bit of a chore, but once you get it how you want it you're in the clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

HPL posted:

If you do a bit more digging, you'll find that the majority of people with issues with the strap are talking about the older versions which indeed were a little dodgy.

I have both the new and old version and have no issues with either one. I could see how it could happen, but there is a little piece of plastic on the old version that prevents it from opening. The new version is defintely better made.

Both straps work fine in practice and I have gotten many compliments from other photographers on them, including some Paparazzi on a TV set in New York.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

strangemusic posted:

Depending on your lens, mount the strap-lock to a tripod collar? I think there's a video that shows this being done on the Blackrapid site, but I could be totally wrong.

That only works with lenses with tripod collars. That plus I trust the tripod collar even less than I trust the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera seeing as the tripod collar can come off with one twist of a knob. I'm going to try paracord on the battery grip strap mount or something similar. I'm not too bent up about the FR-3. It's not that it's getting in my way, it's just the fact that I'd like to leave the tripod mount free.

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010

HPL posted:

If you do a bit more digging, you'll find that the majority of people with issues with the strap are talking about the older versions which indeed were a little dodgy.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the new info.
Just wanted to throw what I found out there so $1000+ won't go down the drain.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

HPL posted:

That only works with lenses with tripod collars. That plus I trust the tripod collar even less than I trust the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera seeing as the tripod collar can come off with one twist of a knob. I'm going to try paracord on the battery grip strap mount or something similar. I'm not too bent up about the FR-3. It's not that it's getting in my way, it's just the fact that I'd like to leave the tripod mount free.

I tried, and didn't like the R-Strap. What I do now is use the soft, spongy Opteka strap, but with both ends fastened to the right side of the camera. It hangs down, with the grip hanging at my right hand, which rests on the grip where I will hold the camera. Easy to bring up to shoot, stable, and both tripod mount and, where necessary, tripod ring, free.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.

Bongodrums posted:

I'm going to pick one up when they come out as well. I read somewhere that they are going to be on sale mid May for USA and June for the Canadians.

I just got an email from ThinkTank saying that the Retrospective 10 is now in stock. The site still lists it as "Coming Soon" but hopefully this means they'll be available in the next couple days.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MAkev posted:

I just got an email from ThinkTank saying that the Retrospective 10 is now in stock. The site still lists it as "Coming Soon" but hopefully this means they'll be available in the next couple days.

I'm torn between the Retrospective 20 & 30. The 30 looks like exactly what I want, but that example photo of the travel photographer wearing the 20 makes it look big enough for my needs.

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010

torgeaux posted:

I tried, and didn't like the R-Strap. What I do now is use the soft, spongy Opteka strap, but with both ends fastened to the right side of the camera. It hangs down, with the grip hanging at my right hand, which rests on the grip where I will hold the camera. Easy to bring up to shoot, stable, and both tripod mount and, where necessary, tripod ring, free.

I got that email a few hrs ago too!
I looked on the TT website and it still says it's coming soon... Are you in Canada or USA? I guess I'm going to have to order though TT since the retailers here don't carry them and if they do, they have crazy markups.

Bongodrums fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 12, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bongodrums posted:

I got that email a few hrs ago too!
I looked on the TT website and it still says it's coming soon... Are you in Canada or USA? I guess I'm going to have to order though TT since the retailers here don't carry them and if they do, they have crazy markups.

I went to Adorama and ordered it, but it's not yet in stock as a new item, so I'll get it when available. I was torn between that and the 20, which could hold the camera plus 70-200 on camera, but I rarely need that in the bag.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I just ordered a Retrospective 20 through Think Tank's website. Will provide trip report if I end up being the first one to lay hands on one.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
I handled the retrospective yesterday at a local shop. I'm not a huge fan of the material it is made of, a little too rough for my taste. I think I prefer the billingham stuff. It seems nice enough for the price though if the material doesn't bother you.

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010
drat, now I'm rethinking the ThinkTank. $209 + taxes here in Canada, that's a little steep...Crumpler or Domke are pretty much the only alternatives when it comes to this style of bag, isn't it?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Bongodrums posted:

drat, now I'm rethinking the ThinkTank. $209 + taxes here in Canada, that's a little steep...Crumpler or Domke are pretty much the only alternatives when it comes to this style of bag, isn't it?

Or Billingham which is my preference, and you will look like a rich rear end in a top hat who totes around a Leica but never shoots with it :)

The canvas that is used on the retrospective bag seems very thick and durable, but again has that rather rough feel to it, and is not all that flexible. Over time it may soften up, and you could always throw it in the dryer for a few hours and see if that changes it. My preference is for thinner, softer material for these sort of bags. Certainly the ThinkTank would hold up to a lot of abuse, though, if that is your intention. Different strokes and all that crap.

I love ThinkTank for backpacks and rollers (best in the business easily) but never been overly impressed with their shoulder bags. The Urban Disguise bags can hold a lot, but I hate the zippered top which makes it difficult to get larger items in or out, especailly from the corners.

bokchoi
Aug 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent, inexpensive backpack that can hold some stuff in addition to camera gear, and for around $100 or less?

I've narrowed my bag selection down to the Lowepro Fastpack 350 and Versapack 200 AW. I'm basically looking for a backpack that can hold a 40D, Tamron 18-50, Canon 70-200 f/2.8, a medium-telephoto prime, and a flash, plus other personal doodads. The laptop compartment in the Fastpack is nice as I sometimes take my camera bag travelling and would prefer to be able to put everything into one container, but the Versapack seems much better for everyday shooting, and I also like the the weather cover, tripod holding capability, lighter size, and slightly lower cost. I am pretty sure though that the Fastpack will accommodate all my gear plus a laptop, however, and that the Versapack at best will only be able to hold a netbook, and will probably not be adequate for all my stuff if I go travelling.

Any suggestions for my situation? Is the Fastpack too big for everyday use, or is the Versapack not big enough, or is there anything else I should look at?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Perhaps go for the middle ground and get a Fastpack 250? Still plenty of room (provided you don't have a massive laptop) and small reduction in height makes quite a difference IMO.

Also I'm not sure how convenient the Versapacks camera opening would be, for me the main draw of the Fastpack was how easy access to the camera body is

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Okay, my Think Tank Retrospective 20 came in the mail today. So far I like it. It is taller than it looks on the website and with the padded inserts in it is a bit bulky. Maybe it's just because I have never owned a "real" camera bag before but I am amazed at all the little pockets inside.

The main pocket movable dividers. Mine is currently split into thirds. One part Hassie 500cm with back and 80mm, one part D700 and one part 4 Nikkor primes. I slid my light meter into a small inside pocket too. There is alot of room left over. I could certainly stack more lenses and/or another DSLR in there.

I will try to grab some photos of it tomorrow. This bag will definitely replace my current multisystem carrying system ( bag with tamarac lens cases clipped to it). The strapi is wide, well padded and comfortable. I suppose the true test will be flying with it this fall when I go to visit my family.

edit: Now with photos.

Here is the front view with a beer for size reference.

The side view.

The main pocket. Still plenty of room in there too.

Here's all the stuff I managed to fit into the main pocket.

Small zipper pocket on the back on the main pocket for small stuff.

These all fit in the organizer pocket in the front of the main pocket. There is a little lanyard to clip my Pixel Pocket Rocket to.

The front bellows pocket. Currently only has some 120 in it.

There is a large zipper pocket on the back that easily fits my large moleskine.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 19, 2010

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Those retrospective bags are sexy...too bad I just got a fastpack 250; may need to return it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My wife got me this for our anniversary:

The Billingham 335

I feel a bit odd carrying it around, but it can hold a lot and it's materials are top notch. I probably would have preferred she spend $400 on a new lens though instead of a camera bag. A bit too fancy for my cheap gear.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.

8th-samurai posted:

Okay, my Think Tank Retrospective 20 came in the mail today.

That looks awesome, my Retrospective 10 should be in today and seeing your pics makes me even more anxious for it.

MAkev fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 21, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Has anyone come across a small shoulder bag that holds just one body, one lens, and a netbook? Right now I'm using a cloth notebook bag with my D90, 35 f/2, and tamron with my iPad. They are all swaddled in shamwows and its ok, but of course I would like a better fit. I'm starting to consider man purses...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So I've got my RS-7 strap on the strap attachment on my battery grip instead of the tripod mount. I used a piece of paracord and tied it with a butterfly knot and it seems to be holding pretty well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

My wife got me this for our anniversary:

The Billingham 335

I feel a bit odd carrying it around, but it can hold a lot and it's materials are top notch. I probably would have preferred she spend $400 on a new lens though instead of a camera bag. A bit too fancy for my cheap gear.

Dude that bag owns bones. That is classy as hell and your wife is awesome.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

rockcity posted:

I have a fairly good collection of cases and bags going now.

This is my main workhorse bag. It's a Tamrac Expedition 6.

I couldn't recommend it more. It's not cheap, I think $185, but it holds practically everything I own at the moment, including a laptop for editing. It's super comfortable, really well padded and has tons of storage. The battery slots in the outer pockets are really nice too.

I mentioned that I was getting this bag for a trip to Hawaii and though I should report back. It worked out really well for me. I had my camera and several lenses along with my computer to take. I was able to take them all as carry on with the bag which was what I was looking for in a bag. Once in Hawaii, I use the backpack with just a few lenses to day trips to reduce the weight. I ended up climbing a 1200 foot volcano with a 5D, 70-200mm lens, and 28mm lens. The backpack was really comfortable for the hike and protected the camera well when I was going down some pretty steep slopes. It is well worth the money I paid for it.

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010

MAkev posted:

That looks awesome, my Retrospective 10 should be in today and seeing your pics makes me even more anxious for it.

Do you think you can do a mini-review/post some photos of the bag with gear in it for me please? I'm in Canada and there are no local retailers where I can walk in and have a look, so I have to go by pictures and people's opinions and order online. I'm looking for buy the 10 for a summer trip to China.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Bongodrums posted:

Do you think you can do a mini-review/post some photos of the bag with gear in it for me please? I'm in Canada and there are no local retailers where I can walk in and have a look, so I have to go by pictures and people's opinions and order online. I'm looking for buy the 10 for a summer trip to China.

Where in Canada? I'm in Saskatoon, I bought my ThinkTank bag (not a Retrospective, but they had lots to choose from) at Don's Photo. They've got branches in Edmonton, Regina, Brandon, and head office (multiple stores) in Winnipeg in addition to the one in Saskatoon. I know there are good camera stores in Calgary, Vancouver, Victoria, and Toronto, and I assume in other towns and cities, too. I'd be surprised if there truly are no camera retailers anywhere near you.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I picked one of these up because my Lowepro Nova 4 AW was no longer big enough
http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/RM2124/

I keep in it a
15" MacBook Pro
D300 w/b battery grip
Nikon 80-200/2.8
Sigma 24-70/2.8
Tokina 12-24/2.8
Nikon 85/1.8
Nikon 50/1.8
Nikon 35/1.8
SB-80
SB-600
And the usual spare batteries, rocket blower, etc...

None of the lenses even touch the bottom of the bag, and there's a ton of padding against my hip, so even though there's a small fortune in it, you don't have to treat it as such. I really have to say that for $70 I am VERY happy with this bag. Waterproof zippers, but no rain cover.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I use a couple of bags, and they both seem to do well for what they are.

Tamrac Adventure 9

My main bag, and I absolutely love it. I'm trying to do more outdoor/adventure type of photography, and I really couldn't imagine a better backback. It is pricey (almost $200), but it definitely distributes the weight well. It's basically the kind of backback you would normally have hiking/camping but with camera equipment instead. I especially like the top compartment, which is great for clothes or, in my case, a big stash of magazine/books to take along. I don't own a laptop, but it does have a super-padded laptop compartment. I use it to stash cray cards and such instead. The sliders for tripod straps underneath also help me when I need to climb ladders or something to get to rooftops or whatever. The only downsides is that it is a larger back and can take up space if you're trying to fit it in storage lockers at work. Also, a ton of straps and zippers so don't expect to be super-fast getting out a new lens. there was also one point where I had almost lost a memory card, as it slid out of its pouch when I wasn't using their little "red flag" system to keep it in. Thankfully, it was a friend's car, but I would have sorely missed that little PNY if it was anywhere else.

Canon 200DG Shoulder Bag

This is the generic Canon bag you see at all the Best Buys and whatnot. It was honestly a very good bag for what it was while I was using it. Great for short trips or tighter spaces, and it protects everything really well. i never had an issue with space, although I could see you running into problems if you use a ton of long lenses. The main issue I had with it is probably the same as most shoulder bags- it just plain hurts after awhile. If you're going to a party or area where you're switching lenses a lot, it's pretty convenient, but don't expect to take it on longer expeditions without your shoulder getting really sore, really fast. I don't use it as much anymore now that I have the Tamrac, but if you're just getting started, it's a good little bag for the price.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 22, 2010

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
Thanks to the recommendations in this thread. The RS-7 has changed my life. My camera feels weightless and I feel like a gunslinger :c00l:

It also makes it stupidly easy to sneak a DLSR into a gig if you sling it so the camera is at the small of your back.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

A few months ago I tried to do the "DIY R-Strap" and I failed miserably, but I just ordered a new one with my new camera. :toot: Only an RS-4 but there doesn't seem to be too much difference other than how many pockets it has.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I have a friend who leaving the US and coming back to Europe and asked if he could crash on my sofa for a week.

"Only if you bring me an RS-7"

:smug:

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Where in Canada? I'm in Saskatoon, I bought my ThinkTank bag (not a Retrospective, but they had lots to choose from) at Don's Photo. They've got branches in Edmonton, Regina, Brandon, and head office (multiple stores) in Winnipeg in addition to the one in Saskatoon. I know there are good camera stores in Calgary, Vancouver, Victoria, and Toronto, and I assume in other towns and cities, too. I'd be surprised if there truly are no camera retailers anywhere near you.

Vancouver B.C, I know we have many camera retailers such as Broadway, Karrisdale, Lens and shutter, but NONE of them carry the Thinktank line!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

spf3million posted:

I saw Haggins mention the Naneu Adventure K5 in another thread, I'm intrigued. Has anyone tried this bad boy out? It looks like it might actually be decent for backpacking.

I haven't had much luck finding reviews, maybe because it's so niche. Best thing I could find, which is pretty good, is this youtube video of a guy hiking with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbsBmJ59Sf4

Looks like it'll also serve well as a straight up backpacking pack when you remove the camera insert, which would be a big plus.

____

For everyone looking at Pelican Cases, take a look at http://www.cases4less.com/ . Their prices seem to be about 1/3rd cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. I've never ordered from them but I heard Scott Bourne say he orders his from there. I got my eye on a 1650 with dividers and a lid organizer for $300 to keep my Alien Bee gear.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bongodrums posted:

Vancouver B.C, I know we have many camera retailers such as Broadway, Karrisdale, Lens and shutter, but NONE of them carry the Thinktank line!

I heard Beau Photo does. The problem being that Beau Photo is never open when I'm able to make it down there. I did make it there once while it was actually open. It was awesome.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bongodrums posted:

Well it's a bit of a haul from BC but Glazer's in Seattle carries Think Tank bags.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm looking for a new bag that can be a good all-around (usually walkaround or maybe at a sporting event) that could hold my E-30 with either a 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 or the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD I'm saving for, along with a 40-150 and my 25mm pancake. After a generic small Promaster square bag and Lowepro Inverse beltpack thing, I think it's about time I join you folks with messenger-type bags.

Crumpler bags seem nice but I've heard they don't have that much padding, and to my knowledge there aren't pads on the seatbelt-looking shoulder straps, but I may be wrong there.

Aside from things like the Crumpler _ Million Dollar Home, and the new ThinkTank Retrospectives (I'd like something with a pretty inconspicuous look), is there anything else I should be looking at?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

DJExile posted:

I'm looking for a new bag that can be a good all-around (usually walkaround or maybe at a sporting event) that could hold my E-30 with either a 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 or the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD I'm saving for, along with a 40-150 and my 25mm pancake. After a generic small Promaster square bag and Lowepro Inverse beltpack thing, I think it's about time I join you folks with messenger-type bags.

Crumpler bags seem nice but I've heard they don't have that much padding, and to my knowledge there aren't pads on the seatbelt-looking shoulder straps, but I may be wrong there.

Aside from things like the Crumpler _ Million Dollar Home, and the new ThinkTank Retrospectives (I'd like something with a pretty inconspicuous look), is there anything else I should be looking at?

I have a 7 Million Dollar Home and I can tell you it has a ton of padding and plenty of space, it held my D80, the kit 18-55, my Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, and my Nikon SB-600 flash. It still had room with how I had it set up for another couple of lenses, another flash and probably another body. The padding is plenty thick enough and there is a shoulder pad on the seatbelt looking shoulder strap.

It really is a great bag and I recommend them to anyone, unfortunately I think I am going to sell it and go to a back pack :v:

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

Paragon8 posted:

I have a friend who leaving the US and coming back to Europe and asked if he could crash on my sofa for a week.

"Only if you bring me an RS-7"

:smug:

drat straight. It costs the same in pounds here as in dollars in the states. Plus I couldn't find it in the UK with the 3rd generation mount. I got my parents to bring one back from B&H.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Fungah posted:

drat straight. It costs the same in pounds here as in dollars in the states. Plus I couldn't find it in the UK with the 3rd generation mount. I got my parents to bring one back from B&H.

It's kind of ridiculous. We're already gauged so much in Europe, do they really have to get us on accessories too?

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
I'm assuming its because BR are a relatively small company that doesn't have the massive distribution network which makes it expensive for them to send relatively few units over here.

Knowing what I know now though, I'd probably pay £60 for one. Its seriously a revalation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Fungah posted:

I'm assuming its because BR are a relatively small company that doesn't have the massive distribution network which makes it expensive for them to send relatively few units over here.

Knowing what I know now though, I'd probably pay £60 for one. Its seriously a revalation!

I dunno, the distributor they use in the UK is the same one that litepanel uses - and those prices are relatively in line with the US prices. Dollar = Pound prices just really rub me the wrong way.

(I have been researching into buying a black rapid strap and litepanels)

• Locked thread