Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Opioid posted:

I just got a Fuji X-t10. Looking for a small padded pouch I can throw in my normal backpack or bag that can house the camera with a lens attached + 1 extra lens for traveling. I don't want to have an entire second backpack just for my camera when it's small and only has 1 other lens. Any favourites?

http://www.tenba.com/uk/products/tools-byob-9-camera-insert.aspx

I think I will be getting one of these for my XT-1 some time to use in my backpack. BTW I got the Tenba Cooper 8 that I am liking and fits my XT-1 and 3 lenses. I also have the free holster from B&H that I really like for the camera and two lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

windex posted:

... I .. replaced it with a Tenba DNA 15, which has a freely rotating strap anchored down the whole side of the bag:

http://www.tenba.com/products/messenger-dna-15-graphite.aspx

Seems like a nice bag a couple days in. Will report back with a complete review in awhile, just wanted to note the failure of the other bag.

Revisiting this: This is a great bag. I spent pretty much 20 hours over a weekend hauling my 5D3 kit in it (about 15kg?) and had no real fatigue on either my shoulder or the bag.

I liked it so much when I got a not-poo poo MILC camera recently I got the DNA 8 for it, though I wish the DNA 8 came with the same strap as the DNA 15.. I just shuffle it around, and in retrospect I should probably have grabbed the DNA 11 instead, but this prevents me from hauling too much poo poo around in my everyday bag, so it works.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone have any of Tenba's shootout backpacks? Looking for some backpacks that could hold my digital and film bodies if I wanted to a "haul everything" trip.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

DJExile posted:

Anyone have any of Tenba's shootout backpacks? Looking for some backpacks that could hold my digital and film bodies if I wanted to a "haul everything" trip.

I have the 32L, its really not fun to walk around with loaded with gear, but works great for transport.

If you have a place to set or store it while shooting that isn't on your back, you'll be most happy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cool, thanks :cheers:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So I finally got a Pelican case on a lightning deal and holy poo poo I see why people willingly pay a premium for these things, it's drat near bulletproof :stare:

I also grabbed the Tenba 24L and this should be a great way to haul both my mirrorless and film setups. Built really well and pretty comfortable even when loaded up.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
So I found a solution for my carry on (I bought 2 pouches Here, I fully recommend them as a way to hold a DSLR and a basic non telephoto lens. Now I'm having a different problem. My dear Amazon Basics bag (I love that bag, its glorious), is breaking down. I would like a bigger backpack to hold 1 DSLR, 1 mirrorless lens, 2 flashes, a photo mike, and 2 more support lenses (1 long telephoto, and one medium telephoto. Any suggestions all. Again, thank you all, you have been awesome to me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I'm after one bag in particular, and it's proving difficult to find to the point it might not exist. I'm looking for a bag spacious enough for a 2 day hike (so tent, provisions, sleeping bag, etc) but also a dedicated section for two lenses and a body? I've easily found hiking bags, but they all seem designed to hold a poo poo ton of camera gear, to the point where there's no space for anything else.

Is there not a bag like this, do I just have to wing it with some padding or something? Also looking for a shoulder bag that comfortably fits two telephotos. I've been looking at Donke but I'm not sure how customizable the inside layout is. Is it just velcroed?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

So I'm after one bag in particular, and it's proving difficult to find to the point it might not exist. I'm looking for a bag spacious enough for a 2 day hike (so tent, provisions, sleeping bag, etc) but also a dedicated section for two lenses and a body? I've easily found hiking bags, but they all seem designed to hold a poo poo ton of camera gear, to the point where there's no space for anything else.

Is there not a bag like this, do I just have to wing it with some padding or something? Also looking for a shoulder bag that comfortably fits two telephotos. I've been looking at Donke but I'm not sure how customizable the inside layout is. Is it just velcroed?

I have a Lowepro CompuPrimus AW that sounds like the sort of thing you need. It's big enough for as much gear as you want to be walking around with and has d-rings and loops to strap mats and sleeping bags to. The whole top part and the outside section are free space without dividers so you can load up on camping gear or food etc easily - especially if you remove the laptop holder and use that space for additional storage. It's comfortable for all-day walking even though the bag is quite heavy even when empty and it's easy enough to get to your gear on the move.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lowepro Photo Sport is more gear capacity than lens capacity as well.

And yeah, Domke bags have a bunch of velcro walls you can customize.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The compuprimus unfortunately seems to be discontinued, but the photo sport looks perfect in terms of price and size, thanks!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For just two lenses and a body I'd seriously consider just getting a padded insert and using a regular hiking backpack.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

powderific posted:

For just two lenses and a body I'd seriously consider just getting a padded insert and using a regular hiking backpack.

This is also a very good point.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

There's a not-quite-Nalgene-sized water bottle holder on my Gregory pack's hip belt that is perfect for holstering a medium telephoto on a small body, topping out at probably a 70-300. I use it for an... EOS-M :ssh: It even tilts back so things stay put.

Point is, quite a few backpacking packs have stuff like that and it's absolutely preferable to even a Blackrapid style strap.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

For those looking to get a F-Stop bag, might want to think twice: http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/08/an-inside-look-at-f-stop-a-bag-company-falling-apart-at-the-seams/68877/

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
From what I read ever since Kata's acquisition by Manfrotto the bags have gotten lovely. I use my 3n1-30 for travel at work and I want my work to buy one instead of borrowing mine. What's a similar product? It needs to hold a laptop, 1 DSLR, 2 lenses, camera charger, battery, cards, and a tripod. The laptop and tripod requirement makes it challenging. I also have a pelican in which I can have a custom foam insert made for, so the argument goes that the bag should cost less than that (I don't actually have a quote for it yet, but I would guess between $100-200.).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Kata were that great before the acquisition either. I had a camcorder bag and shoulder bag, both of which were decent but a step down from the Think Tank, Domke, and Porta Brace stuff I've bought since.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone seen/used a Lowepro whistler in person? It ticks all the right boxes for me looking at it online, but it's inconclusive which size to get. Some people say the smaller one fits a body+super tele just fine, and someone else claims it can barely fit a body and canon's 70-200.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

For those who may need some small bags: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsjpTMDuGeE

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

powderific posted:

I don't think Kata were that great before the acquisition either. I had a camcorder bag and shoulder bag, both of which were decent but a step down from the Think Tank, Domke, and Porta Brace stuff I've bought since.

About a year or two before they were bought, kata bags really declined. I have some earlier bags that have lasted a long time and were quite well designed.
I don't think I buy a newer one.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I dropped my NEX-3 on the floor, and now it's all kinds of hosed up.
I never liked it anyway, and I wont be buying Sony again.

I never bothered to carry it anywhere, as I hated lugging around several lenses and poo poo.

I'm looking at maybe getting a Panasonic LX100. It's still a bit too large to carry in my pants, so I'm looking for a small fannypack or something.

I like the look and features of this Deuter pack, but I was wondering if any of you guys knew of something better?
I'm not really worried about padding, but if there's something out there in the same size with it - sure why not.

http://www.deuter.com/DE/en/hip-belts/organizer-belt-39024.html

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Can anyone recommend a small padded (thin) case for the XT-1, 27mm pancake, and 2 spare batteries? I want it to be as small as possible. I was looking at the Lowepro Dashpoint 20 on Amazon, but I'm afraid it's just a tad too small and the 30 looks too big.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Choicecut posted:

Can anyone recommend a small padded (thin) case for the XT-1, 27mm pancake, and 2 spare batteries? I want it to be as small as possible. I was looking at the Lowepro Dashpoint 20 on Amazon, but I'm afraid it's just a tad too small and the 30 looks too big.

I ordered this after seeing it recommended somewhere. I'm getting it tomorrow for my X-t10 w/27mm. I'll post back if I think there'd be a little extra room for the x-t1.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I ordered this after seeing it recommended somewhere. I'm getting it tomorrow for my X-t10 w/27mm. I'll post back if I think there'd be a little extra room for the x-t1.

Oooooo...I really, really like that! Simple and sleek. Looks like you can attach it to a belt?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Choicecut posted:

Oooooo...I really, really like that! Simple and sleek. Looks like you can attach it to a belt?

Yep, there's a belt loop. Here it is with my xt10 and 27mm. It's a tight fit with the strap attached, but I think you could probably squeeze in an xt1.

Top view with the strap coiled in (it closes this way):

Side top view with the camera, there's about 3/4 in clearance above the top of the camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Choicecut posted:

Think Tank also has options that are good. I use this https://amzn.com/B0069S2H8K on my belt at weddings to hold a couple of lenses, it will easliy fit an XT-1. It has only some padded dividers that are removable and one padded side (the belt side).

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
That think tank bag doesn't look too bad, not digging the handle on top.

I ordered the Manfrotto. Thanks for the suggestions and thanks for posting pics LooksLikeABabyRat!

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
For those who can afford it and are looking for a Billingham-type canvas bag, here's a heads up - Ming Thien is making a limited run of camera bags which look pretty well thought out. Make of it what you will, personally I love the Billingham style and I expect the quality of these to be top notch. I'm not affiliated in any way, just kind of interested. https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/10/07/mtxff-ultimate-daybag/

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That looks like a pretty slick bag, but I would hate giving Ming Thein money.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Oh, hello there. I didn't notice you there while I was strolling around with my new camera bag. Oh, these? Yes, those are my multiple medium-format cameras in there. You know, pretty basic loadout for an amah-tour photog like myself. :smug:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

quote:

Looks like you can attach it to a belt?

This should never be a selling feature, your belt is for holding your pants up not as a general attachment point for phones, cameras or other devices.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just got an X-T1, what is everyone's favourite strap? The one that comes with it seems a bit average.

Also will the Tenba BYOB 7 fit the X-T1 and another lens? If not what are some alternative dividers?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Red_Fred posted:

I just got an X-T1, what is everyone's favourite strap? The one that comes with it seems a bit average.

Also will the Tenba BYOB 7 fit the X-T1 and another lens? If not what are some alternative dividers?

This is the strap I have used on all my Fujis, including the XT1 I owned for like a month.

https://www.dsptch.com/collections/straps/products/standard-camera-sling-strap-olive

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

This is the strap I have used on all my Fujis, including the XT1 I owned for like a month.

https://www.dsptch.com/collections/straps/products/standard-camera-sling-strap-olive

That looks nice but I was kind of thinking of getting one that attached via the tripod mount. Is that a good idea?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Same.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

That looks nice but I was kind of thinking of getting one that attached via the tripod mount. Is that a good idea?

I have the blackrapid cross shot for my mirrorless and love it

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

I got this for my X-T1

https://www.amazon.com/JOBY-UltraFit-Sling-Strap-Cameras/dp/B0096JZRBI

I also got a tether because I'm paranoid about the screw coming loose in the tripod mount and my camera falling. I've seen at least a couple reviews saying this happened, and since those reviewers didn't use tethers, their cameras and lenses broke. Personally, I don't see how it can happen because my screw has stayed very tight, but better safe than sorry.

edit: I've noticed that most complaints about the screw coming loose are from 5/6/7D users. Not sure if that's coincidence or what.

edit2: After reading more reviews, it sounds like the screw mount becomes loose from the back and forth swinging of the camera while walking. I guess it gradually loosens the screw until it separates. Be careful if you have a screw mount strap.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 14, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have a Rollei sling strap with a screw fit that attaches to the tripod mount. It's made so that it rotates freely unless you push the strap guide down against a spring, at which point you can screw it on or off. As the camera is always hanging upside down when it's not in your hand, it's not possible for it to unscrew itself from swinging back and forth. I still use the tether though...

Previously I had a Carryspeed sling strap which I loved because it had some features that a lot of the other slingstraps don't have - it had a quick-tightening pull so that you could haul it in tight to you after use but it would still have the full length of the sling for when you wanted to lift it up to your face. Also it attached via a large plate that was drilled and tapped for tripods as well as fitting Arca Swiss heads directly. That meant you didn't have to remove the strap to mount it on a tripod - which you do with the Rollei strap and most others I've seen. Unfortunately, the Carryspeed captive ball mount is made of metal that's too soft and eventually it wears down to the point that it just slips out of the locknut and dumps your gear on the ground without warning.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

I really like the peak design straps for this because the load spreads across the whole bottom tripod plate and one of the strap eyelets, making it unlikely the bottom screw will come loose and if it does you will have plenty of warning since the torque load will intersect the screw.

Downside: The goddamned peak design fasteners fail and have to be inspected daily anyway.

So the rule of thumb is no matter what drat strap you use, you should religiously check to make sure it's not loose or frayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

I ended up getting this and it's much nicer than I expected. Pricey but really well made.

Also got the Tenba BYOB 7 which is neat, a little tight for the X-T1 but will work well considering i don't have any other lenses yet.

• Locked thread