Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

ricepaddydaddy posted:

Are there any backpacks that are waterproof, and that can support adding on additional items like hiking/camping equipment? Or should I just go a military style backpack and buy some waterproof bags for my camera gear?

What do you mean by waterproof?

Do you want something with a weather shield or something you can drop into water and it will float/stay dry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I bought one of these at Bonnaroo and it's actually pretty great.

It's an old seatbelt that has been sewn on, so it's pretty neat.

Mine was $25, but here's the site:

http://www.souldier.us/index.php

They also make all kinds of other strappy type things.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Need some opinions. I currently have a lowepro slingshot 200 and my gear just fits in. Problem is that I want more gear such as a 400/5.6 and I really hate the 1 shoulder support. (I'm also hoping to join the goons in the medium format thread some day - but that's more aspirational than immediate consideration).

I was thinking about the lowepro mini trekker or the computrekker. I couldn't find any in stock at my local shop but looking at the other lowepro backpacks today I'm not really sure. They all seem to be padded boxes with shoulder straps added as an afterthought like those small wheeled carry-on sized suitcases that have shoulder straps - good enough for a quick walk through a terminal but not for real carrying. Reviews suggest this may be correct.

What else would people suggest? Needs to be able to fit a gripped body, telephoto + 3/4 other lenses, flash and miscellaneous accessories plus support an 055 mounted externally on the centreline of the pack. Laptop is nice but I'm not planing to use it with both camera gear and the laptop so that's less important. Must be designed as a backpack first rather than a box with straps.

I'm now looking at the Kata R-103 but for 3x price of the lowepro I figure I can wait 24 hours to hear other opinions.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

Need some opinions. I currently have a lowepro slingshot 200 and my gear just fits in. Problem is that I want more gear such as a 400/5.6 and I really hate the 1 shoulder support. (I'm also hoping to join the goons in the medium format thread some day - but that's more aspirational than immediate consideration).

I was thinking about the lowepro mini trekker or the computrekker. I couldn't find any in stock at my local shop but looking at the other lowepro backpacks today I'm not really sure. They all seem to be padded boxes with shoulder straps added as an afterthought like those small wheeled carry-on sized suitcases that have shoulder straps - good enough for a quick walk through a terminal but not for real carrying. Reviews suggest this may be correct.

What else would people suggest? Needs to be able to fit a gripped body, telephoto + 3/4 other lenses, flash and miscellaneous accessories plus support an 055 mounted externally on the centreline of the pack. Laptop is nice but I'm not planing to use it with both camera gear and the laptop so that's less important. Must be designed as a backpack first rather than a box with straps.

I'm now looking at the Kata R-103 but for 3x price of the lowepro I figure I can wait 24 hours to hear other opinions.

I have the Computrekker AW and it's worked great for me. Very comfortable and I can carry it all day if needed. In fairness, I'm rolling with Oly gear which is a bit lighter than most. It will hold:

My laptop
E-30 Body with battery grip
E-410 body
40-150mm f/3.5-4.5
70-300mm f/4.0-5.6
25mm f/2.8
FL-36R hotshoe flash
Laptop power cord
Small cleaning kit
Battery charger
Tripod along the back

It does have the hip straps as well to support weight but I haven't used them.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Captain Postal posted:

I have the KATA HB-207 and I love it.

It is HUGE and is perfect for someone big and tall (I'm 6' 4"). This IS a backpack.

It holds:

Canon 50D
Canon 70-200 f/4L
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Canon 50 f/1.8 MKI
2x Canon 580 exII
Canon 188a
Canon AE1 with 50 f/1.8
2x Manfrotto umbrella adapters
25" umbrella
Tripod -small (also has a tripod holder that will work with a large tripod)
Canon battery charger
Pearstone battery charger
4 sets of AA batteries
Various cables
Various cleaning accessories
Small Tackle box that contains 4 sets of Yonogo Wireless Triggers
w/ cables and various small items
Water bottle
It holds a 17" laptop but I have not tried it yet.

I also have the camera strap that attaches directly to the pack - it's great.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

DJExile posted:

I have the Computrekker AW and it's worked great for me. Very comfortable and I can carry it all day if needed. In fairness, I'm rolling with Oly gear which is a bit lighter than most. It will hold:

It does have the hip straps as well to support weight but I haven't used them.

Yeah, weight and weight distribution is an issue for me and the other lowepro products I've seen in between the slingshot series and the pro trekker series all seem to be ok with weight but support it too far back, and not fit contours too well. The slingshots are small enough that it doesn't really matter and the pro trekkers seem to be good quality but the others I was able to find all looked poo poo.

If you put a couple of house bricks in there and strapped one more to the outside back of the pack, would you still say it was ok to carry around all day? Do the hip straps sit on your hips or above your hips (assuming 6')?

Whitezombi posted:

I have the KATA HB-207 and I love it.

It is HUGE and is perfect for someone big and tall (I'm 6' 4"). This IS a backpack.

I also have the camera strap that attaches directly to the pack - it's great.

Way out of my price range, but the ergonomics look fantastic. How stable would it be with a large-ish tripod like my 055? I've seen bags that would hold it but not securely so the load is able to swing too much

edit: only the 104 has the waist strap. and I can only get it from digitalrev in australia.
I don't have to use digitalrev do I? :ohdear:

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 8, 2010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

Yeah, weight and weight distribution is an issue for me and the other lowepro products I've seen in between the slingshot series and the pro trekker series all seem to be ok with weight but support it too far back, and not fit contours too well. The slingshots are small enough that it doesn't really matter and the pro trekkers seem to be good quality but the others I was able to find all looked poo poo.

If you put a couple of house bricks in there and strapped one more to the outside back of the pack, would you still say it was ok to carry around all day? Do the hip straps sit on your hips or above your hips (assuming 6')?

All day should be OK, but most I've warn this is for a few hours at a time. I do agree that they can get a little back-heavy.

I'm 6'6", part of the reason I don't use those staps, odds are they'd be well above my hips. :shobon:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Captain Postal posted:

Way out of my price range, but the ergonomics look fantastic. How stable would it be with a large-ish tripod like my 055? I've seen bags that would hold it but not securely so the load is able to swing too much

edit: only the 104 has the waist strap. and I can only get it from digitalrev in australia.
I don't have to use digitalrev do I? :ohdear:

It is fantastic. I was really lucky and got it for $100 on craigslist! I think it would be pretty stable.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

DJExile posted:

All day should be OK, but most I've warn this is for a few hours at a time. I do agree that they can get a little back-heavy.

I'm 6'6", part of the reason I don't use those staps, odds are they'd be well above my hips. :shobon:

Thanks. I think I'd want to see the bag before buying it though - general lowepro design doesn't look great even if their manufacturing quality is very good. I'll try another local shop (last one I haven't checked in Sydney!) today and look for one.

Whitezombi posted:

It is fantastic. I was really lucky and got it for $100 on craigslist! I think it would be pretty stable.

I found one on our equivalent site but it had just been sold :(

I've added the 205 to my list of bags and I would buy Kata without ever seeing one - design just seems more thought out and the reviews are better and I guess that's why they cost so much more.

Any thoughts on the HB series vs the R series? Do you know what the differences are besides the easy access being included and the waist straps being an extra on the R?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

Thanks. I think I'd want to see the bag before buying it though - general lowepro design doesn't look great even if their manufacturing quality is very good. I'll try another local shop (last one I haven't checked in Sydney!) today and look for one.

If you'd like, I can take pictures of my bag and gear to give you an idea.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

DJExile posted:

If you'd like, I can take pictures of my bag and gear to give you an idea.

thanks for the offer but I think I've seen almost every picture online already. Although not many seem to show how the bag sits on your back when fully loaded, just what fits in it (*hint*). I managed to find a mini trekker yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I had feared but I couldn't try it on with weight in it. Sorry to be asking so much but I got to be really picky about packs and how they fit from my time in the army.

The flipside 400 seemed more comfortable but couldn't take a proper tripod at all. How well would your bag hold a bigger tripod like an aluminium 055?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

thanks for the offer but I think I've seen almost every picture online already. Although not many seem to show how the bag sits on your back when fully loaded, just what fits in it (*hint*). I managed to find a mini trekker yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I had feared but I couldn't try it on with weight in it. Sorry to be asking so much but I got to be really picky about packs and how they fit from my time in the army.

The flipside 400 seemed more comfortable but couldn't take a proper tripod at all. How well would your bag hold a bigger tripod like an aluminium 055?

This amazon listing shows a couple with it on some dude. I'll try and get a couple on me when I can.

EDIT: I use some basic $50 tripod for now and it holds it with plenty of allowance for more.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Hey all, I'm still relatively new to photography and so for a while I didn't have much gear. At the moment now I have a 55-250mm lens, a 50mm prime, a normal zoom, a small tripod and a smaller DSLR. Knowing my friend's lowepro 100 slingshot bag was really comfortable I was looking at sling bags and have narrowed it down to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1-20-Sling-Backpack/dp/B001BP7YFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278884378&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-SlingShot-202-AW/dp/B0036AWR8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278884510&sr=1-1

The other kind I could get is the smaller lowepro 102. I tried the kata and the lowepro at the store and found the kata, while a lot better looking and having a backpack, didn't fit as snugly to my back because you put the second shoulder strap in a pounch behind the back padding.

I guess there's two things to consider: in a slingbag do I want to carry every lens I have, is it worth compromise for a backpack? Also, if say in a year or two I get a big lens/pro sized camera will the sling bag become worthless to me?

hamshu
May 12, 2007

Ice Vs. Fire
Hello Bag Thread. Need a suggestion here for a bag. I'm currently using a little Tamrac bag right now that holds my XSi and the kit lens. Recently, I received a raise at work and I just finished losing a poo poo ton of weight. I'm looking for a bag to hold the following things:
Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Canon 50 f/1.8
Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS
Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-SYM Hammock
REI Polar Pod +25 Sleeping Bag
Manfrotto 190CX3
Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Sleeping Pad
Along with a change of clothes, and extra socks(you can never have too many socks when your backpacking).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Blindeye posted:

Hey all, I'm still relatively new to photography and so for a while I didn't have much gear. At the moment now I have a 55-250mm lens, a 50mm prime, a normal zoom, a small tripod and a smaller DSLR. Knowing my friend's lowepro 100 slingshot bag was really comfortable I was looking at sling bags and have narrowed it down to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1-20-Sling-Backpack/dp/B001BP7YFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278884378&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-SlingShot-202-AW/dp/B0036AWR8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278884510&sr=1-1

The other kind I could get is the smaller lowepro 102. I tried the kata and the lowepro at the store and found the kata, while a lot better looking and having a backpack, didn't fit as snugly to my back because you put the second shoulder strap in a pounch behind the back padding.

I guess there's two things to consider: in a slingbag do I want to carry every lens I have, is it worth compromise for a backpack? Also, if say in a year or two I get a big lens/pro sized camera will the sling bag become worthless to me?

I'm getting rid of my slingshot 200. Can't stand the thing. It's well made and well padded but I just found it was not a good method of supporting weight for any length of time. Your current setup may be ok to carry that way but if you get more gear (I said I would go easy too when I started out) you'll quickly outgrow it. If you have resolve of steel grab either one as they both seem good, but I'd still recommend getting neither and using 2 shoulders.

If you were in Sydney I'd offer to do a deal... but try it out fully loaded before you decide to buy!

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 12, 2010

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Fists Up posted:

Just bought this backpack.

http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-4-33.html

Needed a backpack to fit all my stuff that is suitable for use overseas. This bag is pretty much exactly what I needed.

Fits everything
Has room for other misc items that aren't camera related
Holds a tripod
Comfortable for long distances
Has a weather cover/is waterproof

Main entrance is from the back (which is kind of good, more secure I guess) and has a side easy access thing. PLUS it actually looks more like a normal backpack.

Plus it only cost me AUD$160

I was also looking at the Lowepro Prorunner 350 AW (which was good but $270). A tamrac bag that didn't have any areas for other misc stuff and the Kata 3N1-33 which had a tripod system I didn't really like. Couldnt even figure out the tripod thing at first and the rest of the bag was loving odd to use. I almost bought it till i realised there were no tripod straps. But the vaguard is $40 less :)

Plus it won some 2010 TIPA award or some poo poo for best camera bag.

So how do you like this bag? I have a huge Crumpler bag (Brian's Hot Tub), and it's pretty annoying to walk around with, even when not fully-loaded, as it's just awkwardly big. I bought it online, so it's my fault for not trying it out first.

The Vanguard, though, looks really nice and a bit smaller. Just wondering if you had any positive/negative experiences with it, i.e. hiking, sight-seeing, etc.

Marklar fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 12, 2010

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Captain Postal posted:

I'm getting rid of my slingshot 200. Can't stand the thing. It's well made and well padded but I just found it was not a good method of supporting weight for any length of time. Your current setup may be ok to carry that way but if you get more gear (I said I would go easy too when I started out) you'll quickly outgrow it. If you have resolve of steel grab either one as they both seem good, but I'd still recommend getting neither and using 2 shoulders.

If you were in Sydney I'd offer to do a deal... but try it out fully loaded before you decide to buy!

So I take it your opinion would be get a small cheap slingbag for a few lenses and SLR and then get a backpack later when I get more gear?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Blindeye posted:

So I take it your opinion would be get a small cheap slingbag for a few lenses and SLR and then get a backpack later when I get more gear?

I carried 3 prime lenses, pro body and a flash and it's too much for a sling bag. They're great for really light loads like XXXD body and maybe 2 mostly plastic lenses. They can certainly hold more gear than I can carry comfortably for more than half a day, so personally I wouldn't plan on filling it. I'd suggest a small backpack personally, maybe like the flipside series if you want the easy access without taking it off.

I used to work at a hiking store and when someone asked to try on a pack (or even if they did it without asking for help) I'd put a few house bricks we kept in store in there because the fit changes with weight. The sling bags are really comfortable with a light load like what they let you try in store, but (I think) crap with what you are describing. If you try one out with a bit of weight in there and you're comfortable, then go for it. Just be sure to test first.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

My girlfriend has the 100, which I carried with a 50mm 1.4, canon XSi, kit lens, 420ex flash and a bunch of random stuff with no problem. The reason I don't want a backpack basically comes down to: shoulder bags hurt after a while and backpacks won't allow me to get easy access to my camera, I'd miss a candid shot in the street (what I shoot often) before I can get my camera out. This kind of bothers me.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Marklar posted:

So how do you like this bag? I have a huge Crumpler bag (Brian's Hot Tub), and it's pretty annoying to walk around with, even when not fully-loaded, as it's just awkwardly big. I bought it online, so it's my fault for not trying it out first.

The Vanguard, though, looks really nice and a bit smaller. Just wondering if you had any positive/negative experiences with it, i.e. hiking, sight-seeing, etc.

I absolutely love it so far. It has a lot of little things which make it really great. Like being able to tuck away straps and alter things if you wish. The front section which is good for shoving a thin jacket into.

The most I've taken it around is just on a day trip with it half full and it was very comfortable. No tripod and only one body with lenses.

Will be going overseas with it soon hopefully.

EDIT: The only con can be the tripod as it sits in the side rather than across the back which means if your tripod is REALLY heavy it will feel lopsided and if your tripod is REALLY big when folded it will stick out a lot more.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 13, 2010

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Blindeye posted:

My girlfriend has the 100, which I carried with a 50mm 1.4, canon XSi, kit lens, 420ex flash and a bunch of random stuff with no problem. The reason I don't want a backpack basically comes down to: shoulder bags hurt after a while and backpacks won't allow me to get easy access to my camera, I'd miss a candid shot in the street (what I shoot often) before I can get my camera out. This kind of bothers me.

I think slings have all the same problems of shoulder bags combined with all the problems of a backpack. They are a bit easier to access, I admit, but still not as easy to access as a shoulder bag. Would that load be too much for you to carry in a shoulder bag?

If you haven't looked at a flipside yet, take a look. It's a backpack that is designed so you slide your shoulders out of the harness while keeping the waist strap connected, then slide the waist strap around and it basically becomes a little table in front of you and you can access your gear from the zipper which is in the back. It's also much harder for someone to unzip and steal your stuff. Here's an example (scroll down)

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 13, 2010

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Is this the wrong place to ask about lighting bags? Need suggestions on one that will hold three alienbees. Under $200.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

TeMpLaR posted:

Is this the wrong place to ask about lighting bags? Need suggestions on one that will hold three alienbees. Under $200.

I have been really satisfied with the bags that you get right from Paul C. Buff. They are like $12.95 and fit everything that comes with a light. They aren't that padded, but I'm not usually walking long distances with them. Lights seem like one of those items you need to move from your studio to your car and from your car to a location that's probably a few feet inside anyway. I own 4 B800s and haven't felt the need to buy another container for them yet. If you really wanted something to protect the hell out of them I would say you could fit 2 lights in a Pelican 1550 which would cost you about $150. The larger pelican cases tend to get over $200 pretty quickly. The reason I jump straight to pelicans is its probably the only case I can think of that I would feel alright kicking around with a couple alienbees in them.

The one bag that I have found protects the hell out of my lights is a sandbag. Seriously, if you don't have any go make some. My wife made ours out of leftover fabric and rice.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

TeMpLaR posted:

I love the storm cases from hardigg, not sure why I like them more than Pelicans, but either one you can't go wrong, indestructable rolling cases. I prefer those with padded dividers to the foam pull and pluck, but ymmv.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010
Here is what I like to use as a bag
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/cms/hackKits/camera_bag.htm
with the small messenger. It's getting a little too small now

I have also been told by a rep that Timbuk2 will be releasing a camera bag around august/september

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

David Tennant posted:

I have also been told by a rep that Timbuk2 will be releasing a camera bag around august/september

Psssh. Those inserts cost more than I paid for my Timbuk2 in the first place.

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005
I'll be going to Shanghai China this Sept, and I have this following gear:

1) Canon 50D
2) "Kit" Lens 18-200 mm
3) 50mm prime
4) 4x CF waterproof case
5) 2x Canon Battery
6) Charger
7) Gitzo Tripod

Anyway I already have an alright camera bag that holds all of my gear with exception of the tripod. However its very bulky to carry around on trips and I'm concerned about in China.

Anyway I was hoping to see if there was a good tiny bag that I could use to mainly protect this following gear:

1) Canon 50D
2) Kit Lens 18-200 mm
3) 4x CF waterproof case
4) 2x or more Canon Battery

All of the rest such as the 50mm prime, charger, etc will probably be left behind or stored in a secondary bag at the hotel.

So in short I am looking for a bag that would mainly hold the spare batteries, spare CF cards, and the camera itself. I would like something very comfortable and not easy to be stolen/pocket/zipper picked.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
http://nemeng.com/leica/015e.shtml is a handy guide for gear

I use to think the ladies too crazy about carrying different purses and bags but now I understand :doh: Different bags for different situations:toot: First of all, I was a crumpler fan boy. I have a industrial disgrace strap (nice) 5 million, (decent) 7 million, (nice) keystone (clunky) and bought quite a few 5 millions and straps for my friends as a welcome gift.

Yes their backpacks suck but all crumpler products are water resistant. It's not waterproof by all means but the bulkier outer shell offers good protection and it kept all my gear dry when I was in biking for 5 hours in heavy rain. The interior became slightly damp but my gear was dry nonetheless. I think if I added an additional rain cover I could have been fine for a longer duration.

But only get the crumpler for 6 million and above because the smaller sizes don't come with a shoulder strap. 6 million is a bigger size than usual but can fit a body + lens and 1 more lense with speed lite. 7 million is a bit too big but can carry a lot of stuff. Full load 8 million is just too big and will cause uneven loads and sore shoulders in no time

In the canon thread there were ridiculous pictures of this guy wearing a photovest

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathaninsandiego/4634788888/

I find it ironic that being a photographer should allow you to appreciate form, colour, composition and beauty yet the guys just dresses monotone. heck even his reversed ball cap is still khaki. I know photo vests can look very tacky but if I don't stuff all the pockets and dress normal with a pair of jeans and a half collared shirt I should be fine right?

Which one would you goons pick? the more discreet http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/New_Travel_Vest.shtml or the billingham http://www.billingham.co.uk/acatalog/Photovest.html

antimatter posted:

1) Canon 50D
2) Kit Lens 18-200 mm
3) 4x CF waterproof case

All the brands and shoulder bags mentioned in the thread are pretty good. A 50D coupled with 1 lens is not much weight at all. The cards and batteries don't occupy much space and use the side pockets. I recently went bag shopping with a friend and I would recommend you the kata DB 455. It's a detachable satchel and has a shoulder pad.

Keep the bag close to you at all times and theft should not be a problem in Shanghai or most of China. In fact with the rising number of nouveau rich Chinese and the association of new camera gear = wealth, lots of them have 5DIIs and L glass.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

antimatter posted:

1) Canon 50D
2) "Kit" Lens 18-200 mm
3) 50mm prime
4) 4x CF waterproof case
5) 2x Canon Battery
6) Charger
7) Gitzo Tripod

Anyway I already have an alright camera bag that holds all of my gear with exception of the tripod. However its very bulky to carry around on trips and I'm concerned about in China.

Anyway I was hoping to see if there was a good tiny bag that I could use to mainly protect this following gear:

1) Canon 50D
2) Kit Lens 18-200 mm
3) 4x CF waterproof case

All of the rest such as the 50mm prime, charger, etc will probably be left behind or stored in a secondary bag at the hotel.

So in short I am looking for a bag that would mainly hold the spare batteries, spare CF cards, and the camera itself. I would like something very comfortable and not easy to be stolen/pocket/zipper picked.

I'll skip making fun of you for the 18-200 (:smugdog:) and recommend a Slingshot 100. I've got the 200 and it's by no means bulky, but the 100 should be even smaller. The single strap design isn't great if you've got a lot of heavy equipment, but it's very convenient for getting to your stuff quickly, and it's not super-conspicuous. They've also got a built-in rain cover that stores away, which I've found to be really useful.

For what you described, one of those basic holster-style cases might work for you too, but I personally don't care for them. Also, hardly any reason not to bring the 50mm with you, thing weighs nothing and doesn't take up a ton of space.

Reminded me, wanted to post some pics of my Slingshot 200 carrying a 4x5 outfit:

The easy accessiblity of the Slingshot's design is kind of a moot point with a 4x5 monorail setup like this, I just wanted something compact to carry it around in and used what I had on hand.

Here's the somewhat less portable Speed Graphic/Aero Ektar setup in my Tamrac Adventure 9. I thought it was big enough to swallow up anything, but it finally met its match with a Toyo 8x10 monorail. It's still a nice backpack for a weekend trip/carryon, and the mesh pockets on the outside are the perfect size to hold 3 regular 4x5 DDS holders.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Thinking about selling off my 2 Crumpler bags. One barely used, the other in LN condition. One is the 7mil in forest green, the other is a Brazillion in black/orange. What is the resale value on these?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd say at least half retail, but check ebay and your local second-hand sites.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
So has anyone had any experience with the LS Photo Studio backpack? I outgrew my old backpack but I'm not really in the money right now, so I need something relatively cheap.

Edit: Nevermind. I got a Tamrac Expedition 7 instead. I feel safer going with a brand I trust.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 24, 2010

Allistar
Feb 14, 2002

Regulation, aisle 8. Nerf, aisle 15.

Fists Up posted:

I absolutely love it so far. It has a lot of little things which make it really great. Like being able to tuck away straps and alter things if you wish. The front section which is good for shoving a thin jacket into.

Can you give an updated review on the Vanguard? I really like the look on it and want to know how well built it is.

Thanks!

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Can anyone recommend me a small bag that would fit just a Canon 28mm f/1.8, a spare memory card or two and spare batteries? I don't want a bag big enough to hold the body and flash and everything else too, just something so that I don't have to keep all my bits and pieces in pockets and stuff.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Allistar posted:

Can you give an updated review on the Vanguard? I really like the look on it and want to know how well built it is.

Thanks!

What are you wanting to know exactly? The build quality feels pretty drat solid. Nice large thick buckles and thick straps. Feels just as good as any of the other big manufacturers.

EDIT: The most annoying thing is having the tripod support on the side. If you have a heavy tripod it makes the backpack lopsided. It becomes noticeable after a few hours of carrying it.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 14, 2010

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

David Tennant posted:

I've been doing something similar with a medium-sized Timbuk2 bag and some Domke inserts.

After about a year of this, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's too big and awkward for me. I'm 5'1", and so it hurts my shoulder after a long day of carrying it, and the strap smashes my boobs. It's also so huge compared to my small frame that I've been denied entry to some places (museums, stores) unless I checked my "luggage".

I've bought (and subsequently sold) Crumplers in the past (six and four-million dollar homes). The six was an older model and it was about as wide as it was tall, and seemed to do a lovely job of distributing the weight across my back. The four was just too small.

So now I'm starting the search again for a camera bag that can hold a Nikon d70s, a couple lenses, and all of the normal stuff I need every day. I think the solution is multiple bags depending on how much I need to carry that day (one lens vs. three and the assorted crap that goes with it).

If any short people and/or women have advice on comfortable bags, I'm all ears.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I still use crumpler bags, and I totally agree that a couple of different sizes is super handy.
I have a leg holster that fits a body (lens mounted) and an extra prime, a small shoulder bag for body + couples lenses + flash + random crap, and a large one where I can fit all my crap (body, 2 primes, f/2.8 standard zoom, 70-200/2.8, flash, chargers, extra batteries, etc).

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

For those considering a Kata 3n1, here's my experiences after owning a 3n1-22 for a few days.

Coming from a Crumpler 7 Million, which I liked and used for years but it was time for a change.

I don't have the layout in the Kata totally set up exactly how I want it but for now it carries:

40d + grip
Canon 70-200 f/4L
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro + a set of Kenko extension tubes
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
430exII

In the main compartment. Any combination of body + lens works, although the 70-200 on the body is a tight fit and I have to reverse the hood. No biggie.

The top compartment carries spare CF cards, Radio Poppers, a mini blower, my Sigma ring flash, spare batteries, and I managed to stuff my sunglasses case in there as well. Side pockets hold lens caps, a little notepad and pen, lens cloths, and the rain cover.

I don't have a netbook but I put my e-reader in the netbook pocket. This was a great idea since it turned out I spent a lot of time waiting for my always-late brother. :argh:

The above is somewhat typical of what I'd carry around in the Crumpler (minus the ring flash) and was quite heavy for a shoulder bag.

As a Shoulder Bag
As expected, the load was heavy and I found myself getting sore and tired after a while. The straps are nicely padded, so that helps. Quick access to the main compartment via the sides worked as advertised, with very little fiddling around.

The bag wasn't as easy to slip off as a messenger style bag, because I found I had to cinch the strap down somewhat tight to keep the load balanced (more on this later). I wear glasses and a hat and usually have no problem flipping the Crumpler up and over my head, but the Kata was a bit more troublesome. I adapted - I found that if you firmly grip the strap with one hand and release the buckle, the bag naturally swings off your shoulder.

Possible modification: the waist strap helped steady the bag but I found myself wishing for an option to clip it to the strap going over my shoulder, like my bike courier bag. If I can find the right clip, I'm going to try that out.

As a Backpack (crossed straps)
This method of wearing the bag I was most interested in, as it promised the load carrying ease of a backpack, with the quick access convenience of a shoulder bag. For the most part it worked well, except the point where straps cross tends to ride up and sit just at my neck, which was really uncomfortable. And again, the straps had to be cinched pretty tight to keep things balanced.

Possible modification: building on the alternate clip idea, if I could add something to keep the cross point down over my sternum, then this method would be ideal.

As a Backpack (straight straps)
This is how I ended up wearing the bag for the majority of the day and was the least "exciting" method for doing so. But it worked. The biggest issue I had, in all modes but worse here, is that the straps had to be cinched pretty tight to keep the bag balanced properly. And cinching wasn't easiest due to where the tensioners are: down at the bottom attachment point instead of up at the top like a normal backpack. This means you have to pull the strap up to tighten which is a lot harder than pulling it downwards. If I didn't have the bag real tight, the bottom would rest on my belt and the top would pull away from my body, making the load seem a lot heavier. The straps also liked to separate and pull off my shoulders. Carrying a tripod with the optional holder will make both these problems worse.

Possible modification: this mode needs a sternum strap.

In conclusion, I like the bag, but it needs a few tweaks before I love the bag. Adding buckles and straps does seem to sacrifice some of the convenience but I'm willing to deal with an extra buckle or two if it means I'm comfortable walking around all day.

Rot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 7, 2010

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I'm going to be taking a Pentax K-x with a kit lens overseas and I'd like something padded and secure to put it in inside of my bag.

Looking at something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Cirrus-TLZ-15-Black/dp/B000TY1EES/ref=pd_cp_p_2
or
http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Camera-Holster-Adjustable-Shoulder/dp/B000MISEI0/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_a

The smaller the better really because I'm only taking the one lens (and no charger).
Has anyone got any recommendations or things to look for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Cirrus seems a little more padded, which I would like.

• Locked thread