Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
Did anyone get a Retrospective 30 yet? I'm considering getting it to carry around a dSLR and a film SLR with respective lenses. How many lenses do you think it can hold? How's the padding on it? The reviews I've read make it sound like a pretty drat good camera bag, sturdy and inconspicuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Maverique posted:

Did anyone get a Retrospective 30 yet? I'm considering getting it to carry around a dSLR and a film SLR with respective lenses. How many lenses do you think it can hold? How's the padding on it? The reviews I've read make it sound like a pretty drat good camera bag, sturdy and inconspicuous.

I've seen one at my local store its a bigger version of the Retrospective 20. These bags dont have a ton of padding but they sure do hold alot. My 20 comfortably holds a gripped D700, five lenses and a flash with room to spare.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I've had my Pelican 1510 case for about 3 months now, and I'm feeling motivated enough to write a thorough review.

The case is made entirely from Copolymer Polypropylene Structural Resin, also known as plastic. Empty it weighs a somewhat hefty 13 pounds. With gear in it it's a bit closer to 50, but that's why it has wheels. Pelican says it will float with up to 39.9lbs in it, so I guess I'm pushing it a bit.

The retractable handle and wheels make it pretty easy to drag around. One major complaint I have is that I got a piece of gravel stuck in that hole near the bottom of the case, the retractable handle doesn't go all the way down any more and doesn't lock. It looks like an easy fix if I want to take the 10 screws that hold the back together out. It really kind of bugs me because pelican makes 10 minute videos where you can set the case on fire, throw it off a bridge into a harbor, drag it out, run it over with a truck and it's still good to go. Don't drag it through a 5 foot patch of gravel though!

Most importantly the case will hold a crap load of stuff. I can basically just pack it up for whatever I am doing. One case of stuff will pretty much get me through a wedding. It's super convenient to be able to just grab it and go. I find that I am less likely to leave anything behind. I usually will leave the case in my car and bring my old Lowepro Nova 2 and change out the lenses and stuff that I think I might need throughout the day. The 1510 is definitely not for hiking.

The fact that it is water tight is also awesome. I can take it to outside shoots even at the beach and I don't have to worry about sand or water blowing into my equipment as long as I remember to latch the lid. The latches can be a bit finicky at times. Sometimes they close easily, and other times its a bitch for no reason. It is also somewhat easy to pinch yourself with them.

As for some more complaints. When I first bought the case I got the lid organizer with it, but without the foam in the lid the case seemed kind of useless as protection for things that are made of glass. Stairs and sand (and gravel) mean you are carrying a very heavy package. The retractable handle feels a bit flimsy. My biggest complaint overall is that I liked the case so much that I bought another one.

Painless
Jan 9, 2005

Turn ons: frogs, small mammals, piles of compost
Turn offs: large birds, pitchforks
See you at the beach!
I used a lowepro S&F belt system during the weekend and I really like it. Changing lens is really handy and it really takes most of the weight off. The only problems are that it looks kind of goofy (add shoulder straps, paint it green and you have a combat belt) and it's not very useful for transporting stuff when you're not actually shooting. It's excellent for nature shooting trips where you want to be able to change lenses quickly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The only real complaints I could have about Pelican cases are the prices and the lackluster temper-proofing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone use the Hardig Stormcase in any form? I got to try one a while back and they seem really drat nice, along with a much easier to open clasp.

E: I'm just now learning that Pelican owns them or something. When did that happen?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

DJExile posted:

Anyone use the Hardig Stormcase in any form? I got to try one a while back and they seem really drat nice, along with a much easier to open clasp.

E: I'm just now learning that Pelican owns them or something. When did that happen?

I have the hardigg equiv of the rolling airline sized pelican posted above. I think it's the im2750? I forget the exact number, but it's the largest rolling case that is flight sized. I originally got it with the pick/pluck foam, but that sucks for lots of stuff, it's better when you have one large thing that goes in. I ended up buying the foam dividers which I like much more.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Update on my Kata 3n1-22, if anyone cares.

I finally got things pretty well laid out, this is what I can carry:
40d + grip
70-200mm f/4L
17-50mm f/2.8
105mm f/2.8 + extension tubes
50mm f/1.8
a goofy home-made tilt-shift lens
430exII + diffuser + package of gels
Radio Poppers
blower
mem card wallet and reader
rain cover
spare batteries for everything
various adapters, lens covers, usb & sync cords, lens cloth, etc
iPod, ear buds, ear plugs
Sony 300 eReader
and I can stuff my ring flash in there if I really want to.

All this is somewhat easy to access, or at least the important bits: my camera and lenses. Usually my camera is around my neck, but it's really nice to be able to swing the pack around and quickly pop the camera inside when it's time to jump on the bus/train or whatever. It's also pretty comfortable when riding my bike.

The the above is a heavy load but it can be done in relative comfort (typically I'm not carrying EVERYTHING, but it's nice to know I can). I went to the local outdoor outfitters and grabbed a handful of misc straps, cinches, and buckles to fabricate the strap mods I mentioned in my earlier post. In sling-mode with the waist strap coming up to my sternum, the above can be carried really easily and it solved the problem of the pack not wanting to stick close to my shoulders. Using the opposite buckle on the other strap, backpack mode (cross or regular) works great too.

I'm considering either getting the tripod carrying add-on or more likely just make one myself.

I'm pretty picky about backpacks and, with a few minor nondestructive mods, this Kata bag is a keeper for sure.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm in a bit of a tough spot now and wondering if someone can point me in the right way. My biggest camera setup now will be the Olympus E-30 with battery grip and the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD, but I don't have a lot to carry after that. At the most on my sports shoots, I might also have my 25mm pancake and a hotshoe flash.

Kind of a goofy loadout, to be sure.

I'm looking at the Thinktank Urban Disguise line and the Retrospective 30. Anyone use either of these that can tell me about them? They seem like really nice bags but I wonder how good the padding is.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
If you only have what you described in your post you might be better off with the Retrospective 20. Heres another goons review on it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298813&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post377022726

Alternately if you decide to get the 30 I am sure the padding and everything would be exactly the same just bigger so the review is still valid.

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 25, 2010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KickStand posted:

If you only have what you described in your post you might be better off with the Retrospective 20. Heres another goons review on it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298813&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post377022726

Alternately if you decide to get the 30 I am sure the padding and everything would be exactly the same just bigger so the review is still valid.

Wow I skipped right by this. Thanks! :cheers:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Selling a Promaster L-200 and Lowepro Inverse 100AW.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Has anyone had any experience with the Burton Zoom Pack?

http://www.zappos.com/burton-zoom-pack-black

I want a pack I can hike with to locations and this seems like the perfect fit for me. It has to fit 2-3 bodies plus film and maybe some snacks or whatever. In other words, enough to do a shoot if I choose to make it the only thing I bring out into teh field with me, but not any larger than it needs to be.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the Burton Zoom Pack?

http://www.zappos.com/burton-zoom-pack-black

I want a pack I can hike with to locations and this seems like the perfect fit for me. It has to fit 2-3 bodies plus film and maybe some snacks or whatever. In other words, enough to do a shoot if I choose to make it the only thing I bring out into teh field with me, but not any larger than it needs to be.

Curious that I don't see any shots of the inside of the bag, and no mention of either a rain/dust shield (a la Lowepro's All-Weather cover) or general water resistance sends up a red flag.

Given the dimensions, if that big lower section is entirely for camera gear, then you should be good in terms of size. What kind of bodies/lenses would you have?

EDIT

Website Description posted:

Removable heat pocket for extended battery life.

...the hell? :confused:

--------

Got the BlackRapid RS-7 on Friday and holy poo poo I see why people love these things.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

Got the BlackRapid RS-7 on Friday and holy poo poo I see why people love these things.

I love seeing this reaction, because I always feel like such a jackass trying to explain why I love mine so much.

"It's like a strap, man, but it goes ACROSS your body, and it hangs upside down and you can just slide it up whenever... no, really, it's worth the $50, I swear!"

Maybe I just need to learn better persuasive argument.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

...the hell? :confused:
Cold batteries hold fuckall charge. So you keep them in your pockets, or in a bag compartment next to a chemical heat source.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Cold batteries hold fuckall charge. So you keep them in your pockets, or in a bag compartment next to a chemical heat source.

Ohhhhh, :downs: I thought there was some kind of battery powering.... something in the bag. That makes a ton more sense though.

BobTheCow posted:

I love seeing this reaction, because I always feel like such a jackass trying to explain why I love mine so much.

"It's like a strap, man, but it goes ACROSS your body, and it hangs upside down and you can just slide it up whenever... no, really, it's worth the $50, I swear!"

It's amazingly natural. It's really that people just need to see it in action. They're not kidding when they say it's fast though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

Ohhhhh, :downs: I thought there was some kind of battery powering.... something in the bag. That makes a ton more sense though.
Yeah until you put the wrong heat source next to your li-ion batteries and they transform your rear end into bacon :laugh: Just keep them in a pants pocket.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

DJExile posted:

Given the dimensions, if that big lower section is entirely for camera gear, then you should be good in terms of size. What kind of bodies/lenses would you have?

Yeah, the lower section has a detachable section with dividers for bodies and lenses.
I'm hoping to use it for the R8- probably with the 180 attached, R4 body, 2 additional lenses, Rolleiflex, and maybe my meter or a speedlight.

I'm going on a shooting trip in a couple of weeks and I'd like to keep my reliance on my heavy rear end Pelican case to a minimum.

phillys
Jun 18, 2004

Why the strange looks?
This is the red team, right?
I'm looking for a backpack that can house a Nikon D200, mid-zoom lens and a nifty fifty as well as my dell XPS M1330 + charger. It's not a lot of stuff to carry but I need something that's slim and light. Padding would be nice but willing to forgo it if it can help to reduce the bulk. Prefer to be weather proof too (at least can survive rain/drizzle)

Is there any bag like this? I'm thinking of the Lowepro Fastpack 250 but the bottom is kinda big and fat. The width is perfect but it's just too thick. Any suggestions?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Pacsafe Camsafe 200. Good idea or not? Might do some extensive traveling in Europe next year. The price seems reasonable, it's not the most beautiful thing in the world, but it's not horrifically ugly.

http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=116

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

phillys posted:

I'm looking for a backpack that can house a Nikon D200, mid-zoom lens and a nifty fifty as well as my dell XPS M1330 + charger. It's not a lot of stuff to carry but I need something that's slim and light. Padding would be nice but willing to forgo it if it can help to reduce the bulk. Prefer to be weather proof too (at least can survive rain/drizzle)

Is there any bag like this? I'm thinking of the Lowepro Fastpack 250 but the bottom is kinda big and fat. The width is perfect but it's just too thick. Any suggestions?

I have the Inverse 100 AW for sale if you'd like. Sounds like it should fit the bill for you.

E: Durrrr read "Beltpack", not "backpack". :saddowns:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I don't look as cool as batman with an L lens around my neck, but I got the strap for free. I just got my free smug mug pro strap today. http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/3591963_uBzso/#962595860_kXpRb

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

The only argument I needed was to actually try it at the local camera store. I was immediately sold, tho I think I overpaid by about 10 bucks or so.

I just ordered the Fastpack 350 from B & H along with some filters. I realized today that I definitely needed a back that can fit my MacBook and my camera securely.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I have 2 bags that I use most often.

My main one is the might Lowepro Vertex 200 AW which is an absolute loving beast of a bag. Holds most of my kit including laptop, power leads, a fuckton of batteries, a portable hard drive, assortment of lenses, etc.
The shoulder straps are nicely padded, and when you do up the waist strap and chest fastener it's surprising how much weight it seems to take off, which is just as well as fully loaded with kit this fucker weighs about quarter of what I do (I'm about 130 pounds), and i constantly fear I'll fall backward and lay there kicking my limbs about like an upturned turtle.
Only real grip I've had with it is the runners that the chest fasteners are attached to kept popping off at the top, which was fairly simple solved by putting a large safety pin at the top of the runner to stop it being able to come away. The laptop pouch holds my 16"asus nice and snug, and the little pouches on the back hold a multitude of memory cards, filters, flash batteries etc.
Also comes with a tripod holder that you can fit on the back or either side, allowing you to kiss goodbye to any form of spacial awareness you may have once had. Good luck trying to get on a crowded subway with it ( I got a lot of dirty looks).
In the bottom is a super secret compartment that contains a monsoon/blizzard/sandstorm/ground zero resistant cover that pulls out and slips over the whole thing should you find yourself in an action movie.

I got it a LOT cheaper from calumet than any of the high street stores, but amazon seems to have em for about £105 just now.

My second is the Hama track pack which can be had for a mere 20 of your british pounds form 7dayshop.com just now - http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=101013

It's a bit flimsier, but holds a decent amount of gear, is light, small, and my go to bag when I'm doing a gig or nightclub shoot. The board that stiffens the base of it can rub the small of your back a wee bit but isn't difficult to deal with if you don't mind performing minor surgery on it. Has a super handy carry handle on the top as well.

Here's some rubbish pics.

Click here for the full 1229x819 image.

Click here for the full 819x1229 image.

Click here for the full 1229x819 image.

Click here for the full 819x1229 image.

Yes that's a nail file, I get ocd about hangnails.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

geeves posted:

The only argument I needed was to actually try it at the local camera store. I was immediately sold, tho I think I overpaid by about 10 bucks or so.

Funny you should quote this now... I have no idea how, but I managed to recently lose my R-strap like an rear end in a top hat. Now that I've been forced to revert to the original Canon strap, I appreciate the R-strap more than ever. I'll definitely be ordering a new one when my next paycheck comes in!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

phillys posted:

Tell me about it, my best friend calls me The Turtle whenever I go out with that bag. :(

Choosebary
Oct 23, 2003

Shannow posted:

I have 2 bags that I use most often.

My main one is the might Lowepro Vertex 200 AW which is an absolute loving beast of a bag. Holds most of my kit including laptop, power leads, a fuckton of batteries, a portable hard drive, assortment of lenses, etc.
The shoulder straps are nicely padded, and when you do up the waist strap and chest fastener it's surprising how much weight it seems to take off, which is just as well as fully loaded with kit this fucker weighs about quarter of what I do (I'm about 130 pounds), and i constantly fear I'll fall backward and lay there kicking my limbs about like an upturned turtle.
Only real grip I've had with it is the runners that the chest fasteners are attached to kept popping off at the top, which was fairly simple solved by putting a large safety pin at the top of the runner to stop it being able to come away. The laptop pouch holds my 16"asus nice and snug, and the little pouches on the back hold a multitude of memory cards, filters, flash batteries etc.
Also comes with a tripod holder that you can fit on the back or either side, allowing you to kiss goodbye to any form of spacial awareness you may have once had. Good luck trying to get on a crowded subway with it ( I got a lot of dirty looks).
In the bottom is a super secret compartment that contains a monsoon/blizzard/sandstorm/ground zero resistant cover that pulls out and slips over the whole thing should you find yourself in an action movie.

I got it a LOT cheaper from calumet than any of the high street stores, but amazon seems to have em for about £105 just now.

My second is the Hama track pack which can be had for a mere 20 of your british pounds form 7dayshop.com just now - http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=101013

It's a bit flimsier, but holds a decent amount of gear, is light, small, and my go to bag when I'm doing a gig or nightclub shoot. The board that stiffens the base of it can rub the small of your back a wee bit but isn't difficult to deal with if you don't mind performing minor surgery on it. Has a super handy carry handle on the top as well.

Here's some rubbish pics.

Yes that's a nail file, I get ocd about hangnails.

I very much enjoy the OCD neatness of your camera packing in contrast to the poo poo covered room I really hope you don't live in :p

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Choosebary posted:

I very much enjoy the OCD neatness of your camera packing in contrast to the poo poo covered room I really hope you don't live in :p

Oh it was a tip, i just spent 5 hours cleaning it. Just be glad you can't see (or smell) my kitchen.

OCD neatness only seems to apply my camera gear and computer file organization, I sometimes wish it would branch out to ther parts of my life.

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005

Shannow posted:

Oh it was a tip, i just spent 5 hours cleaning it. Just be glad you can't see (or smell) my kitchen.

OCD neatness only seems to apply my camera gear and computer file organization, I sometimes wish it would branch out to ther parts of my life.

Amen, I have the same issue.

Anyway recently got myself a Crumpler 5 million dollar home, hopes it will work out, its about 2/3 the size of the Kana backpack/sling/bag so that will be nice. Still going to keep the Kana bag for long hiking but the tight Xing on the neck bothers me :-\ Suppose I can build something to fix that.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm looking for a big suitcase-style bag to hold all my camera stuff in one place. The idea is I could toss it into the passenger seat of my car when I go for my (nearly) weekly drives for fun. Anyways, broke-rear end graduate student here, so while something like a big shoulder bag (link goes to PDF) would be ideal, I don't want something brand new and $200.

Let's put my budget around $50, and it will hold a Minolta X700 manual film SLR plus 3 small lenses and a big telephoto, a Pentax K10D (with grip) plus 4 lenses, and a handful of little accessories (filters, charger, spare batteries, etc). I'm thinking second-hand here, is there a place you'd go to look for such things? Value Village might have something, but would a pawn shop? Any other ideas?

Also, do people still go to camera gear swap-meets, or has the internet pretty much killed that market?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've been looking around for a stylish camera and if possible laptop bag, so far all I've found that I like is a few of the crumpler messenger bags, but then I came across this one:

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/ari-marcopoulos-camera-bag-cl58033

Designed by a photographer, looks to be an interesting option.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spedman posted:

I've been looking around for a stylish camera and if possible laptop bag, so far all I've found that I like is a few of the crumpler messenger bags, but then I came across this one:

Looks fairly nice but that seatbelt shoulder strap is ugly as sin. Looks like you'd have to have something more the size of a netbook too, if that iPad in there is anything to go by.

E: The signature is kinda tacky too.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

Spedman posted:

Oh god this looks so awesome and I want it bad but drat that price!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

DJExile posted:

Looks fairly nice but that seatbelt shoulder strap is ugly as sin. Looks like you'd have to have something more the size of a netbook too, if that iPad in there is anything to go by.

E: The signature is kinda tacky too.

I didn't notice that signature till later, yuk, and I'm not wild about the colour, too light.

I've changed my mind on all this and I think I'll go with a Domke F-6, as I want something that will hold my Bronica, lens, and a back or two with some film. And going by the dimensions I've found, it should do the trick.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I finally broke down and bought a R strap. First thing I did when getting home was clip it to the tripod plate on my Hasselblad. Tremble before the quickdraw 500c/m!

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations for hand straps?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Tincans posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for hand straps?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0F3GPK81DXVP471

I just got that for my Contax rangefinder and I love it. It perfectly matches the lightweight feel of the camera. Also, you can unclip it and keep the loop around your wrist when not in use. It's going to come in really handy on photo shoots.

Speaking of new homes for the Contax, I picked up this little guy today as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Caselogic-TBC-305-Camcorder-Case-Black/dp/B001T0HXRS

That picture makes it look a lot bigger than it really is. It's about the size of a fingers-spread hand. Holds the camera w/lens plus another lens. Rangefinder stuff is small, so finding a divided case that actually fit it well was tough. It comes with a shoulder strap but my plan is to just throw it in my messenger bag or backpack.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

8th-samurai posted:

I finally broke down and bought a R strap. First thing I did when getting home was clip it to the tripod plate on my Hasselblad. Tremble before the quickdraw 500c/m!

Is it really advisable to be hanging your camera from the tripod plate? Are those things designed for that kind of stress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

frogbs posted:

Is it really advisable to be hanging your camera from the tripod plate? Are those things designed for that kind of stress?

It's a big metal Manfrotto plate.

The camera hangs from the D ring which is attached to the piece that screws into the socket on the camera, basically the same as the R strap's connector.

• Locked thread