Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

windex posted:

I really like the peak design straps for this because the load spreads across the whole bottom tripod plate and one of the strap eyelets, making it unlikely the bottom screw will come loose and if it does you will have plenty of warning since the torque load will intersect the screw.

Downside: The goddamned peak design fasteners fail and have to be inspected daily anyway.

So the rule of thumb is no matter what drat strap you use, you should religiously check to make sure it's not loose or frayed.

Is this still a thing? I thought that was due to a qa flaw a few years ago. Just got a slide light strap instead of dsptch as the wear indicators seemed like a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Great Enoch posted:

Is this still a thing? I thought that was due to a qa flaw a few years ago. Just got a slide light strap instead of dsptch as the wear indicators seemed like a good idea.

You still have to check for wear. I had a new one fail due to what was probably a manuacturing defect after a week or two of use and luckily the camera only fell onto my couch. I love their gear but I've been paranoid ever since.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Anyone know if a Crumpler 4 MDH could handle a body attached to a 5" telephoto vertically (8" from tip to eyecup)? I'm looking to replace my holster bag with something just slightly roomier, at most a second lens and maybe a pocket.

Currently under consideration, would be glad for the same question applied to any of these:
Tenba DNA 8
Domke F-10
Crumpler... ?? The 5MDH looks just a little bigger than I want if I can avoid it.
Budget option- Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Remy Marathe posted:

Anyone know if a Crumpler 4 MDH could handle a body attached to a 5" telephoto vertically (8" from tip to eyecup)? I'm looking to replace my holster bag with something just slightly roomier, at most a second lens and maybe a pocket.

Yes. I used mine to hold my 5D2, 24-105, and 17-40. It was a little snug when I had an L-plate on the 5D2 but even then it still fit no problem.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yes. I used mine to hold my 5D2, 24-105, and 17-40. It was a little snug when I had an L-plate on the 5D2 but even then it still fit no problem.

Thanks, that's all I needed to hear to pull the trigger on one from B&H. I couldn't have seen myself dropping $70 on a holster bag 5 years ago, but my Lowepro's falling apart and the Crumplers all look so loving cozy.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I have a Crumpled Haven that I use to carry my X-T1 and lens in other backpacks (day pack or multiday pack). I like it, but it is a tad small. I recently bought a larger lens (Fuji 100-400 mm) and I am re-evaluating how I store everything. What do people usually use to store larger lens? Is a bigger bag preferred or an independent case preferred?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

accipter posted:

I have a Crumpled Haven that I use to carry my X-T1 and lens in other backpacks (day pack or multiday pack). I like it, but it is a tad small. I recently bought a larger lens (Fuji 100-400 mm) and I am re-evaluating how I store everything. What do people usually use to store larger lens? Is a bigger bag preferred or an independent case preferred?

I'm in a similar situation. I have a Hasselblad V-series and just got the large 140-280mm zoom lens as a Christmas gift. It's a foot long and 4.5 inches in diameter at the front end; while there's an available carry case for the lens, mine didn't come with it, and for my purposes a second case just for one large lens is a bit impractical. What I'm looking for is a case that can carry the body, the large lens, three smaller lenses, a light meter, and extra film. It needs to be able to stand up to being crammed in amongst a lot of climbing and camping gear as well.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm in a similar situation. I have a Hasselblad V-series and just got the large 140-280mm zoom lens as a Christmas gift. It's a foot long and 4.5 inches in diameter at the front end; while there's an available carry case for the lens, mine didn't come with it, and for my purposes a second case just for one large lens is a bit impractical. What I'm looking for is a case that can carry the body, the large lens, three smaller lenses, a light meter, and extra film. It needs to be able to stand up to being crammed in amongst a lot of climbing and camping gear as well.

Pelican case maybe?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Meaty Ore posted:

I regularly carry my Kiev 88, Tair-33 300mm tele, a wide angle and the 80mm kit lens along with accessories in my Lowepro Flipside Sport 10l AW. I think I paid about $70 for it about a year ago and it's a great bag if I'm not carrying multiple bodies.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I just got the Tenba DNA 15 to replace my ThinkTank, which was getting beat all to hell (through no fault of its own. That bag was awesome, I just beat the absolute poo poo out of it). So far I really like it. The shoulder pad moves far smoother along the kinda seatbelt material strap, and I forgot how much I missed having a zipper along the top of the main flap.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting frustrated with my sling strap and I'm looking for a new one. Previously I had a Carryspeed strap that was really nice to use right up until the point where the ball-joint that connects the plate to the strap failed and dumped my camera onto rocks. What I liked about it was that the mounting plate was compatible with arca-swiss tripods and was also drilled and tapped so that other tripod plates could be fitted to it without having to remove the strap. Now I have a Rollei sling strap and it attaches via a small round mount that has a spring lock to prevent it coming undone by itself and it also has a secondary tether as a backup for peace of mind. Unfortunately, while the round mount is tapped for a tripod bush, the surface area of the bottom is too small to grip a plate properly, so I have to take the strap off every time I want to put my camera on a tripod.

What I'd like is a strap that attaches to the camera via a flat plate - like the Carryspeed - that will either attach nicely to a tripod plate or is already arca-swiss compatible. Also that it isn't made by Carryspeed and that it has an additional tether for long lenses or strap lugs.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

8th-snype posted:

Pelican case maybe?

Helen Highwater posted:

I regularly carry my Kiev 88, Tair-33 300mm tele, a wide angle and the 80mm kit lens along with accessories in my Lowepro Flipside Sport 10l AW. I think I paid about $70 for it about a year ago and it's a great bag if I'm not carrying multiple bodies.

Thanks; I'll be looking into these. The Pelican 1504 looks attractive for it's protective qualities, though the Flipside Sport would make it easier to lug stuff around outdoors. I'm anticipating some decent hikes with climbing gear in tow along with the camera, so I'll have my work cut out for me no matter what I go with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got the Dakine Sequence 33L over the summer and loving love it as a day hike pack.. the straps on it are miracle territory because it feels weightless with it loaded on your back. It can hold my Tamron 150-600 attached to the body, along with my smaller lenses (10-20, 18-55, 70-200). There's even some room left for my filters.

The backpack design seems weird at first (access to the interior is via a zipper on the panel that rests against your back) but it makes some sense after you get into using it.. you can drop the bag on the ground and get to your stuff without getting dirt all over the parts that touch your body. It doesn't technically have a way to carry a full size tripod, but it's not hard to use the snowboard straps to come up with a usable setup.

Added bonus is the camera compartment is held in with velcro and is easily removable, which means you can stuff your clothes into the backpack and check it in for an flight and bring your camera as carry-on. Then you get to your destination and stuff all your clothes into a drawer at the hotel and use the bag for hauling your camera.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

Thanks; I'll be looking into these. The Pelican 1504 looks attractive for it's protective qualities, though the Flipside Sport would make it easier to lug stuff around outdoors. I'm anticipating some decent hikes with climbing gear in tow along with the camera, so I'll have my work cut out for me no matter what I go with.

Pelican cases are today Amazon's deal of the day, by the way.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

I got the Dakine Sequence 33L over the summer and loving love it as a day hike pack.. the straps on it are miracle territory because it feels weightless with it loaded on your back. It can hold my Tamron 150-600 attached to the body, along with my smaller lenses (10-20, 18-55, 70-200). There's even some room left for my filters.

The backpack design seems weird at first (access to the interior is via a zipper on the panel that rests against your back) but it makes some sense after you get into using it.. you can drop the bag on the ground and get to your stuff without getting dirt all over the parts that touch your body. It doesn't technically have a way to carry a full size tripod, but it's not hard to use the snowboard straps to come up with a usable setup.

Added bonus is the camera compartment is held in with velcro and is easily removable, which means you can stuff your clothes into the backpack and check it in for an flight and bring your camera as carry-on. Then you get to your destination and stuff all your clothes into a drawer at the hotel and use the bag for hauling your camera.

Does your sequence not have this little loop?

Mine's an older model and am 90% sure that's designed to hold a tripod. It isn't very good at it though, I usually tuck mine through the compression straps on the side. Otherwise super good backpack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, the newest one lacks that. It does have a slot on one side that I think was designed for a tripod, it's a little tube of material with a hole at the top and bottom. I use a seal clubbing manfrotto tripod though and there's no way it would fit in there. So I lash it to the middle with some nylon straps and it's fine.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Dang that sucks. I bought mine used 2-3 years ago, paid $50 at a local shop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm fine with it.. the snowboard straps are beefy and are well suited to holding a tripod. Only needed to scrounge up some extra clips.

It's vastly more comfortable than any lowepro bag I've demoed.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Does anyone have an opinion on the Chrome Niko Backpack? I'm switching to mirrorless full time, and i think can get away with a smaller pack. This also has the advantage of fitting a laptop and strapping a tripod to it, solving a bunch of other problems.

It would be 2 xt2 bodies, 16-55 2.8, 50-140 2.8, plus batteries, meters, and some other stuff like a cleaning kit. I *think* it'll all fit, but it looks like it might be a bit cramped.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
If anybody is looking at the Lowepro Pro Runner BP 350 AW II, I just picked one up for my X-T2, 2 lenses and whatever MF camera I feel like bringing for film shots. It's a surprisingly bulky well padded bag, but with very little internal space. The accessory sleeves are incredibly flat and nearly unusable inside, can barely fit a lens filter in without it tearing through, they're that thin.

I'm pretty disappointed with it. Seemed like it would work well when I tried it out in the store, but once things are in place there's a lot of awkward space and no way to really utilize it. I imagine it would be great to throw around because of the padding, and it has a suitcase handle, but it doesn't hold enough to warrant the big size so I'm not sure what to do with it anymore.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 19, 2017

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

Helen Highwater posted:

I'm getting frustrated with my sling strap and I'm looking for a new one. Previously I had a Carryspeed strap that was really nice to use right up until the point where the ball-joint that connects the plate to the strap failed and dumped my camera onto rocks. What I liked about it was that the mounting plate was compatible with arca-swiss tripods and was also drilled and tapped so that other tripod plates could be fitted to it without having to remove the strap. Now I have a Rollei sling strap and it attaches via a small round mount that has a spring lock to prevent it coming undone by itself and it also has a secondary tether as a backup for peace of mind. Unfortunately, while the round mount is tapped for a tripod bush, the surface area of the bottom is too small to grip a plate properly, so I have to take the strap off every time I want to put my camera on a tripod.

What I'd like is a strap that attaches to the camera via a flat plate - like the Carryspeed - that will either attach nicely to a tripod plate or is already arca-swiss compatible. Also that it isn't made by Carryspeed and that it has an additional tether for long lenses or strap lugs.

Peak Design sounds like it might fit your requirements? I've tried multiple straps in my quest for "the one", and I think I've found it in the Peak Design straps - I have The Leash and The Cuff for my X100T and The Slide for my D600. Can easily switch between normal and sling style or anything in between.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Has anyone tried the F-stop Loka Ultralight, or the F-stop Ajna? I'm looking at replacing my current bag because it's pretty unwieldy for hiking.

The Loka looks pretty good at just 1.2kg and with a large insert I can fit in my big lens (Nikon 200-500), while the Ajna is 1.7kg but a bit more spacious and seems comfier/better built.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 14, 2017

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I was reading this thread earlier this week. Saw the pictures of that Manfrotto bag and was looking for something similar last week for my X100F. I had came across the National Geographic NG A1212 vertical pouch on amazon, but it was like $25 or more. It had some conflicting reviews on if my camera would fit.

So after seeing the pictures here of the Manfrotto bag I was searching for Manfrotto mirrorless and the NG bag was on their store page for a very cheap $14 and free shipping, so I figured what the hell. The worst that would happen is I could gift it to my dad for his a5000 or find some other use for it.

Good news is the X100F fits just fine (without anything attached to the lens at least). I probably would have liked horizontal better, but otherwise nice bag I can toss into my backpack or carry on its own.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
put it on your belt, like a gunslinger

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really love that style. Is there anything in a similar form that could hold my Canon 60D + 50mm? I'm using a Lowepro sling and while I love it to death I rarely ever need all the space.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hey so I'm going on a trip to Atlanta in a couple months and I really don't feel like bringing my full lowepro gear backpack on a flight with me when I'm not even going to use 90% of the stuff I keep in it, so I'm in the market for a decent quality small bag that I can take on a plane without having to pay extra money for a second carry-on. Ideally it can hold an x100F, a speedlite or two, a couple rolled up flash modifiers and some batteries. Tablet space would be nice, but is not remotely necessary.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Hey so I'm going on a trip to Atlanta in a couple months and I really don't feel like bringing my full lowepro gear backpack on a flight with me when I'm not even going to use 90% of the stuff I keep in it, so I'm in the market for a decent quality small bag that I can take on a plane without having to pay extra money for a second carry-on. Ideally it can hold an x100F, a speedlite or two, a couple rolled up flash modifiers and some batteries. Tablet space would be nice, but is not remotely necessary.

I would recommend the Tenba Cooper 8. Not the cheapest, but might be right for what you're describing.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I needed something bigger than my Think Tank Mirrorless Mover that could hold a film SLR which is bigger than my a6000 along with a speedlight and a lens or two so I got a Think Tank Retrospective 7. Holds all that along with a bunch of filters, radio remotes, a notepad, Kindle, cellphone, room in the back for a laptop if you needed that and I can still stuff the a6000 in there with the kit lens. Its pretty hefty even when empty but that's because its really overbuilt. Thick fabric and beefy fittings. Even when stuffed it doesn't look like a camera bag. When broken in a little it looks like a regular beat up floppy bag. There's a waterproof pouch on the front that holds a rain cover which I can jam a small umbrella into when needed. Hooks on the side can carry a travel tripod; I only did it once, to cumbersome and bumps into your legs; use a small tripod bag that slings over your back instead.

Its passes the "They didn't tell me they'd be throwing bowls of chalk!" test:

Yeah that's not an SLR; glad I didn't take the Nikon F80 that day.

Not a spec of chalk got inside of it. Cleaned up fine with a vacuuming. My only regret is the only film I had was black and white.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 24, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

red19fire posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Chrome Niko Backpack? I'm switching to mirrorless full time, and i think can get away with a smaller pack. This also has the advantage of fitting a laptop and strapping a tripod to it, solving a bunch of other problems.

It would be 2 xt2 bodies, 16-55 2.8, 50-140 2.8, plus batteries, meters, and some other stuff like a cleaning kit. I *think* it'll all fit, but it looks like it might be a bit cramped.

Chrome bags are fantastic. Top notch build quality and comfort. That said, I'd wait for one of their frequent sales and get it for 50% off.

Did anyone here get the Peak Design Everyday Backpack? I have 13" messenger from them and it's great but limited in what it can carry, so I'm interested in how the backpacks hold a lot of gear + other stuff. I'm skeptical of the vertical divider system.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I finally took the time last week to set up my pelican case to my liking. Oh my god these things are so worth the money. They're drat near bombproof.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Am I reading right that that's the 1550 size?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Am I reading right that that's the 1550 size?

It's the 1560, so it's too big for airline carry-on, (it does have a slide-out handle and wheels) but honestly I'd trust this to protect my stuff if I checked it.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to properly plan/pack for more of an on-the-go style trip? I've always taken one bag with me on longer trips, and prefer to never check bags. My DSLR body has always been fine with a lens cap in the top of whatever bag I'm bringing, but now I'm interested in bringing some decent / heavy gear (R4M & P67 + 1 extra lens) along with me and I want to make sure they're secure. I usually carry a bag in very similar size/style to this:

Would I be better off buying some kind of internal unit to put inside here? I can't seem to find a decent bag that has enough room for my other things besides camera poo poo. I've checked all of Lowepro's stuff, F-Stop (although they seem to be on the decline?), Billingham... all of those. Or, if you have spent some time hopping around when you travel, do you prefer to bring two bags, like a smaller daypack that can fit inside and be removed once you land? Just trying to think about the best option here, especially with the weight of the P67.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Honestly the best solution I've found for one bag travel + camera gear is a $20 camera insert from Amazon. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Just put it on top of a layer of rolled clothing to give it extra padding and you should be good to go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Depending on how you travel, look at the dakine photo pack. The photography compartment can be removed entirely which I really dig. You put a week's worth of clothes into the hole, toss it in as checked baggage and take all your camera gear in as carryon. Check into hotel, dump your clothes in a drawer and boom you got a sweet day pack for hiking with your camera.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I definitely like to have a smaller bag to carry around once I'm somewhere, but I always carry some kind of small bag/purse thing anyway. Tenba makes camera inserts now too, or I'd consider just throwing some domke wraps around the individual pieces. For me dedicated camera bags are more necessary when you have a bunch of different lenses or similar that need to stay organized. Two bodies and one spare lens seems pretty manageable. What's your preferred carry once you're at a location? Do you want to cart around both cameras and spare lens, or would you just bring one along on a strap?

You can also pull dividers out of normal camera bags to use them for personal stuff. When I travel for work my carryon is a Think Tank Streetwalker Pro backpack full of personal stuff and batteries as my personal item and a pelican case that can survive being gate checked with camera/lenses as main carryon. Other gear and gets checked and then when I'm on location I repack the photo backpack with just camera gear.

Edit: here's the Tenba stuff. Looks like it could fit your needs pretty well: http://www.tenba.com/collections/tools.aspx?page=1 I say this not having much grasp on how big the 67 is compared to normal cameras.

powderific fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 30, 2017

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Awesome, thank you all for the suggestions. I think I'll be going that route next time, it seems like the best combinations of both needs. Also I'd much rather spend a fifth of the money on a self contained unit and put it in a preexisting bag, haha.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

As I've been picking up more lenses for the Pentax 6x7 I decided to look for a bag for it so I can bring everything when i go shooting. Picked up an old Billingham 550 (25-30 years old) from eBay for 52£. It was used more or less daily for 20 years and has a great patina. There was a hole about the size of a dime in the canvas on the bottom of the bag beside the leather reinforcement and brass feet - I made some leather patches (from latigo leather which is very tough full grain stuff) which should wear to the same patina as the existing leather features which I reconditioned with a pine + mink oil mix. They're actually in really good shape for their age and are fully flexible with no damage. The standard dividers of that time came with the bag, and the velcro and everything was still in great shape. Now I can buy even more MF bullshit and have a place to keep it all!

Next thing to do is fashion some leather straps to allow me to carry my tripod off the front of the bag. Newer Billinghams have horizontal slits cut in the straps at the front so you can pull some straps through them in the correct vertical orientation to hold a tripod - I don't want to cut these straps so I'll probably just figure out some other means to attach the straps.

I thought I had taken photos of the patch repair but I guess I didn't. I can upload those later if there is any interest.

e: Forgot to mention that these bags are listed at over $1k USD new on the site so I'm quite thrilled to find an old one for so cheap. The only real difference is the new ones use a different divider system (rigid instead of flexible padding-stuffed fabric) and have better waterproofing in the fabric.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 2, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've got a waxed canvas not photo bag that I'd like to patch up so I'm interested for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

powderific posted:

I've got a waxed canvas not photo bag that I'd like to patch up so I'm interested for sure.

Honestly I've got so much spare scrap leather around and needles and thread I could mail you what you'd need to do the repair for the price of shipping if you want (I am in Vancouver BC but could ship it in a padded envelope). You'd need to cut the leather for the patch and then sew it on.

I'll post some pictures of the repair when I get home in like 12 hours.

• Locked thread