Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm going to put some pictures up tonight but holy hell is the Stealth Reporter 300AW nice. Right now it's holding my E-30 + battery grip, 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 (detached), 25mm f/2.8, 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, hotshoe flash, batteries, and some light gloves for hockey games.

There are a number of hidden zippered pockets kind of between the outer shell of the bag and the inner padding. They don't serve a lot of purpose with the padding/dividers in there, but those can be pretty easily removed if you want to use it like a small duffel bag, then the pouches come into use nicely.

The quick access zipper across the top seems very nicely sealed/rubberized/whatever to help keep most dust/moisture out (although it also has the AW cover) and it's long enough to allow you pretty good access to anything in the bag. One of the outer pouches is actually nicely padded for an MP3 player, cellphone, or smart phone so it doesn't get banged around. The memory card wallet seems a bit larger than anyone would really ever need (it can hold 12 CF/SD/XD cards, are you reporters only issued 128MB cards or something? :psyduck:) but being attached to the bag is a nice touch and it tucks out of the way pretty well.

Bag itself feels notably sturdier than some of Lowepro's other offerings. Seems like it could take a good few bumps without trouble. I found this for $100 and if you need a good mid-sized bag for just about anything short of including a netbook, it's worth looking into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

It's been a week since i've ordered my Deviant Art bag, the tracking number stood dormant, I sent them two emails, one was bumped off saying it takes 3 - 5 days for an order to process even though the original order email says 1-3 this was the 2nd email i sent two days later:

It has been 5 business days and my order still has not been processed, either give me a legitimate update on my order or cancel it, FedEx Tracking says Estimated delivery date to be today but they haven't even received the item to ship it, and once again I state you charge exorbitant shipping cost for something that isn't processed and shipped in a timely manner, don't open an item shop if you can't deliver items in a timely fashion

I asked for an update or a refund. I get a one line reply

Thank you for contacting deviantART. As you do not wish to wait for your bag, I have cancelled and refunded your order.

Pretty lovely customer service...

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I've been using my Thinktank Retrospective 20 for about a week now and I have to say this thing is fantastic. It's perfect for someone with a mid-size kit (4-5 lenses, flash, filters, other misc things).

Everything is really well thought out. Anything that has a velcro cover has a spot to put it so it doesn't have to be undone every time you need something (even inside pockets that have velcro covers have a spot in the pocket to stick the strap). The shoulder strap has a very nice amount of padding and grippy strips on it.

The material is really rugged, and all the straps feel solid (the joining points are all metal too, no plastic). Supposedly all the zippers are some fantastic poo poo that doesn't break or come loose, but I haven't used them long enough to attest to that.

It's flexible enough to take a lot of stuff or just a small amount of stuff and still look nice, which is great if you want a lighter bag for a day.

Thanks for the previous reviews people posted of it, I'm really happy with it. If anyone was thinking of getting a new shoulder bag you should definitely check it out.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

subx posted:

Thanks for the previous reviews people posted of it, I'm really happy with it. If anyone was thinking of getting a new shoulder bag you should definitely check it out.

Can you post photos comparing it to other bags?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
FAO UK folks, just clocke dthis fairly decent looking bag for a mere £12 - http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=110009

no ide what the build quality is going to be like but im tempted ot pick one up for gigg/nightclub purposes as it looks really nice and compact.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

HPL posted:

Can you post photos comparing it to other bags?

I don't have any other bags at the moment, I gave away my cheaper one to a friend that is just starting. I could go over to the camera store if you are just wanting a size comparison.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

McMadCow posted:

As a follow-up to my past last page, I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/Caselogic-TBC-305-Camcorder-Case-Black/dp/B001T0HXRS
yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it. I doubt I'll ever carry it around by itself, but I wanted to have something to throw in a bag or pack. It also had to offer more protection than the typical P&S case and have room to carry the camera with a lens attached, plus an additional lens.

Something as tiny as a rangefinder and lenses present a real interesting set of requirements for safe travel/storage.

This looks cool as hell, wish I could check it out IRL. I've got a smallish toploader that came with my Rebel I've been using for my RF/Sony NEX kit, but it's mostly vertical space and I have to stack lenses on top of each other, etc.

edit: Walmart has it in stock, may go have a look!

Photex posted:

It's been a week since i've ordered my Deviant Art bag, the tracking number stood dormant, I sent them two emails, one was bumped off saying it takes 3 - 5 days for an order to process even though the original order email says 1-3 this was the 2nd email i sent two days later:

It has been 5 business days and my order still has not been processed, either give me a legitimate update on my order or cancel it, FedEx Tracking says Estimated delivery date to be today but they haven't even received the item to ship it, and once again I state you charge exorbitant shipping cost for something that isn't processed and shipped in a timely manner, don't open an item shop if you can't deliver items in a timely fashion

I asked for an update or a refund. I get a one line reply

Thank you for contacting deviantART. As you do not wish to wait for your bag, I have cancelled and refunded your order.

Pretty lovely customer service...

I was getting caught up on this thread and saw your earlier posts and was interested to hear your impressions of the bag... haha, gently caress.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 20, 2010

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I've posted about the Vanguard Up-Rise 45 before and whilst I think its a great bag there are two annoying things that have come up the more I use it. First is having the tripod holders on the side. I wish they were on the front like a normal pack.

Second is that the back opening part does not open up fully

Click here for the full 700x700 image.

You can see in the picture that its got those elastic net parts on the side. Makes it less likely for stuff to fall out if you have the pack on and swing it round to open it but it makes it annoying when you have the pack on the floor and are trying to organise everything in.

Its not really that big of a deal but just frustrating when you pull everything out and put it back.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was getting caught up on this thread and saw your earlier posts and was interested to hear your impressions of the bag... haha, gently caress.

you know what's even better, they had my money refunded in less than 24 hours.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 23, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have been looking for a good bag to hike with for awhile and my friend found these bags (he just got a smaller one and it looks really nice) and I was wondering if anyone had any experience using one, or something from this company? http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/satori

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So guess what showed up today? The DeviantArt camera bag that I ordered, canceled and had refunded. Naturally i'll be taking it as a sign of apology for their rudeness and incompetence and i'll be posting a review of the bag shortly.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Here's my quick review of the dA "Pro" Camera Bag :smug:

The Good

It looks good, there is a lot of small detail on the bag itself. The inside is red with the dA logo all on the inside. The build quality also feels very good, feels a little more sturdy than my newly acquired Lowepro 300. I stated how small it was but it could work out if you don't carry a lot, everything will fit pretty snug and there won't be a lot of movement when it's all zipped up.

The color scheme is pretty sweet if you're into the red and black, it's pretty stylish when it comes to other bags in my opinion. Even the weather cover which I didn't show has a dA logo on it, they paid a lot of attention to the small details which makes it a better bag than I expected

The Bad

It's small, really small. I think if you didn't really want to carry anything other than a few cards, lenses and a small body it would be okay. I don't think you can fit any large body in this bag comfortably. The below pictures show my Rebel inside the bag and it fits pretty snug.

The Top Loader just doesn't feel good. You have to remove your bag to get at your camera which you don't have to do with the Lowepro Slingshots and since this is a sling bag i'll be comparing it to my Lowepro 300

Lack of storage is a main thing too, there isn't a lot of extra room for say a book, some filters and maybe your camera manual (i like to carry mine with me). Basically I thought i'd feel silly buying the Lowepro with it being so big and me not having a lot of stuff, but when you see everything you CAN'T put in the dA bag bigger is better.

It accents my moob with the sling strap. It's just not a very good strap.

Veridict

It's a nice bag if you ever get it. Dealing with DA's customer service was pretty awful if you've read my previous posts, they're rude and generally don't seem to give a poo poo. If you're a smaller person (aka not a fat goon) and want something to walk around town with only a few lenses this might be for you, just don't expect to jam a 7D in there with a bunch of poo poo including a flash because it's just not going to happen from what I can tell.

PS: I shot the pictures with my PS so don't bitch :negative:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That is some seriously thick padding and velcro walls in there, drat.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

DJExile posted:

That is some seriously thick padding and velcro walls in there, drat.

yeah, there is def some protection in the bag, like i said everything fits really snug I wouldn't be scared to take my gear out in the bag. That being said i'm about to post it on SA-Mart, I don't need two bags but I could use the money to fill my lowepro :x

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Photex posted:

yeah, there is def some protection in the bag, like i said everything fits really snug I wouldn't be scared to take my gear out in the bag. That being said i'm about to post it on SA-Mart, I don't need two bags but I could use the money to fill my lowepro :x

that really looks like the Canon backpack, though smaller, with some small alterations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Can anybody recommend a small to medium sized bag that can hold a Canon 40D, 2-3 lenses (maybe 70-200mm largest at the most), maybe a flash unit and some extra space. Also room for a laptop and a tripod.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 6, 2010

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Aatrek posted:

The LowePro "Rover" bag/backpack would work well for that, I think. I have one for sale (with pictures) over here, if you are interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3359539

I've held my laptop, D70, and two lenses (with room to spare) in that thing.
Ah I'm not in the US but thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out locally.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

geeves posted:

that really looks like the Canon backpack, though smaller, with some small alterations.

it's possible, i was pretty harsh on the size I just wish there were more pockets to put my poo poo.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Can anybody help ID this bag? I'm pretty sure it's a camera bag and not just some random bag, but I can't find any information on it anywhere.

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Does anyone know a site where you can see pictures of cases being held by people so you can see how big they are when carrying? I've got a Slingshot 302 that's way the gently caress too big for the amount of equipment I have, and also it will only go over your right should which is really unintuitive for me. I'm looking at the Stealh Reporter 200 or 300 but I can't decide which I'd rather have. I've only got a 7D with grip, a 50mm, 17-50, and 70-300 which is relatively short for it's focal length. I think I could probably go with a 200, but I'd really like to see how it balances against my body. I guess I could try to find a local store that has them.

And could someone explain how the BlackRapid thing works? I really like the concept but I'm terrified that the thing is going to fall. I've been reading reviews and I've seen a handfull of people with ones that ended up dropping. What's that FastenR thing and what are the logistics of it? Does anyone have a link that would better explain this? Google is just finding me reviews.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Does anyone know a site where you can see pictures of cases being held by people so you can see how big they are when carrying? I've got a Slingshot 302 that's way the gently caress too big for the amount of equipment I have, and also it will only go over your right should which is really unintuitive for me. I'm looking at the Stealh Reporter 200 or 300 but I can't decide which I'd rather have. I've only got a 7D with grip, a 50mm, 17-50, and 70-300 which is relatively short for it's focal length. I think I could probably go with a 200, but I'd really like to see how it balances against my body. I guess I could try to find a local store that has them.

I have the Stealth Reporter 300AW and I'd be happy to take some pictures of it on me tonight if you like. That is currently holding:

Olympus E-30 + Battery grip
50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 (not attached to camera)
25mm f/2.8
FL-36R Flash unit
Flash bounce
Pair of light gloves (I'm usually shooting football or hockey games)
Spare batteries
MP3 Player
Note cards + Pens

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

I have the Stealth Reporter 300AW and I'd be happy to take some pictures of it on me tonight if you like. That is currently holding:

I would love you forever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I would love you forever.

:love:

Sorry, with my 410 sold, my only other camera is my Blackberry.

From above.
Left to right: E-30 with 25mm f/2.8 attached.
Battery charger (middle top)
50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD (middle bottom)
FL-36R flash (fully extended, right top, Gloves will also tuck in here)
Blackrapid strap attached to 50-200mm lens (right bottom)

From the front with bottle of Windex for scale.

The two pockets currently hold AA batteries for the flash, both spare batteries for the body, filter for the 50-200, wireless shutter release.

From above.

There are a couple great 'hidden' pockets at the front and back of the removable padded shell. This is towards the front of the bag. Inside is an attached zippered wallet that holds...

A shitload of memory cards.

I'll get one of the bag on me in a second.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've got a bunch of filters kicking around, mostly cheap and silly things but a couple of polarizers that I like, and I was wondering how other people keep their filters from getting scratched or broken. Some of mine came with soft leather / fakeleather pouches, but some were just on lenses I bought and are now rattling around unprotected in the pockets of my bags. I don't have enough room in said pockets to keep all of my filters separate from each other so I screw them together sometimes. This is a pain, and doesn't really protect them very well.

How big are those memory-card holders, would a 49mm or 52mm filter fit in one?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

How big are those memory-card holders, would a 49mm or 52mm filter fit in one?

This wallet would probably hold one without a problem.

Bag on me. The strap is almost as far out as it can go, and for reference, I'm 6'6".

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

Awesomeness

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Happy to help!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So after some thinking I decided that I definitely want the messenger style but I'd like something a little more discrete than the typical big black nylon bag. I really like the look of the jill-e jack bag:

But I don't really give a poo poo if it's real leather or faux leather so paying $200+ seems silly. My favorite part of the bag is that it doesn't appear to have any sort of branding on it. Does anyone know of anything similar to this in a lower price range?

I've also toyed with the idea of buying a plain messenger and then putting one of those Tenba or Domke inserts in. Anyone have any experience with those?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Domke messenger-style bags are very unassuming and you could probably cut the tag in the corners of them off if you wanted.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.
The ThinkTank Retrospective series has no outside branding and looks just like a normal messenger bag, although it looks full pretty much all the time if you leave the padding in. I have the Retrospective 10 and its great

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Is there anyone that sells just the internal part of camera bags — something that I can just insert into a normal backpack?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

William T. Hornaday posted:

Is there anyone that sells just the internal part of camera bags — something that I can just insert into a normal backpack?
Domke
Tenba Messenger
Pelican Case inserts
Cut-your-own-foam
Do-it-yourself tutorial from a blog
assorted stuff on B&H's website

I'm going to look into some of these, I've got a bunch of old bags and suitcases of various styles that I don't otherwise use.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Theres a few people on here who just use the basic army surplus messenger bags and then put the inserts in them. I personally just carry around my camera and a spare lens tucked in a beanie if I'm just walking around for the day :)

As long as I dont throw the bag around I'm fine.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I Just picked up a Lowepro Exchange messenger bag ( http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Exchange-Messenger-Camera-Gray/dp/B002PK14VC ) for carrying around town when I don't want to drag out the Retrospective 20.

It's nylon but the Lowepro logo is tiny and could be removed if you wanted. Has one zipper pocket and two smallish open pockets on the front. The main compartment comes with a removable divider. I can comfortably fit my Hasselblad or Mamiya 645 and an extra lens with just enough room left over for a light meter (or paperback book). The strap is wide and comfortable.

I recommend it for anyone looking for a simple bag for daily carry. Definitely wouldn't replace my bigger bag for weddings or serious landscape excursions but for the street/bar it rocks.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
LowePro Rover II backback up for auction in SA-Mart, starting at $50.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362605

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 7, 2010

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
I know this is a random piece of information, but I just discovered it and I had to share...

The front pocket of the Tamrac Adventure 4 (which is an excellent messenger-style bag), is the perfect size for an 11" MacBook air. It would probably fit in there with a tight-fitting neoprene sleeve, too if you want scratch protection.

I thought I was going to have to buy yet another bag to carry around some camera gear + the laptop, but the Tamrac is going to work great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gambl0r posted:

I know this is a random piece of information, but I just discovered it and I had to share...

The front pocket of the Tamrac Adventure 4 (which is an excellent messenger-style bag), is the perfect size for an 11" MacBook air. It would probably fit in there with a tight-fitting neoprene sleeve, too if you want scratch protection.

I thought I was going to have to buy yet another bag to carry around some camera gear + the laptop, but the Tamrac is going to work great.

Do Tamracs have an all-weather cover or how do they do in the rain as they are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I ended up swinging the jill-e Jack bag for my birthday/Christmas (yay free stuff).

It's super classy, really well padded and it holds a ton of stuff. The shoulder strap is a little short, though. There was a review on amazon complaining about the shoulder strap but he had this huge long review describing how he bought it to take to DragonCon because it would match his Mal from Firefly costume (that was the main guy's name right?) and he admitted that he was a "bigger guy" so I kind of dismissed the complaints as coming from a whale of a man but I'm a pretty small guy and even I wish the strap had 4-5 more inches on it. It's not a deal breaker, I like to wear messenger bags more on my hip than on my waist, but oh well.

Other than that I couldn't be happier with it. If anyone is at all interested in pictures of it I'd be happy to oblige.

• Locked thread