Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I use the Lowepro Flipside 300.

Has plenty of room and pockets, a strap that lets you flip it around to the front to access the innards, a back-facing zipper, and a tripod holder.

Works well for me. I used a Tamrac Velocity before and found that nice, but I just didn't have room for everything in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

A few months ago I tried to do the "DIY R-Strap" and I failed miserably, but I just ordered a new one with my new camera. :toot: Only an RS-4 but there doesn't seem to be too much difference other than how many pockets it has.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I'm pretty much 100% happy with my current backpack, however, I would like another bag for various accessories. Mainly my softbox and lighting stuff. So a softbox (which has its own carry bag (roughly 12"x8"x2.5"), a couple of extra hot shoe flashes, a small shotgun mic, and tape. Also maybe extra batteries and chargers.

Anyone have some good recommendations for accessory bags?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

HPL posted:

I got a Retrospective 20 yesterday. I've never had people tell me tell me how nice my camera bag is before.

What all do you fit in your bag? I'm looking at the Retrospective 10 and it seems to just be a shorter (vertically) version of the same bag.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Big Floppy posted:

I have the retrospective 10. I can fit my D7000 gripped with Tamron 17-50 f2.8 attached in the middle. One side has Nikon 80-200 f2.8 push pull. Other side has SB700 in side pocket, Nikon 35 f1.8, Nikon 50 f1.8 and rocket blower. Inside pouch has radio triggers, extra battery, filters, flashlight and cleaning stuff. The outside pouch can hold my Asus 1005HA EEE in it just fine with the rain cover. By that time it gets heavy and expands out. I still have room for a notebook in the back zipper pouch. I got the used canvas one rather than black since it looks better to me.

This is exactly what I need, and pretty much my exact setup plus the lenses I'm looking at. I currently have a D7000 with a Nikon 35 f1.8, a 70-210 f/4, and an SB-600, but I'm also looking at the grip, the Tamron 17-50 and a 50 1.4. So it sounds like I'll be able to fit everything plus my nook color just fine. I was going to get the 30 until I saw some youtube videos showing just how much the 10 fit. Thanks a ton!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

tarepanda posted:

I'm finding myself wishing that I had bought a 400 for more space and more comfortable straps. I also often wish that I had more of a general-use camera backpack, so that I could put my work materials in there too and take my camera for work in case I see anything interesting anywhere during the day.

I just ordered a Thinktank Retrospective 10 to replace a Flipside 300. The no fast-access thing was just a huge dealbreaker for me. I ended up not bringing my bag anywhere and only taking my camera with a single lens.

Speaking of, anyone want to buy a Flipside 300? :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Maverique posted:

I've been looking for a smaller bag, since the retrospective 30 is really huge and I don't feel like carrying all my gear around all the time, and I've been wondering if the Retrospective 5 is small enough/big enough to carry what I need. Basically 1 or 2 cameras or 1 or 2 lenses and a couple batteries and a cleaning cloth. No more no less.

I usually carry around either a 5D Mk.II or a 30V (roughly the same size), ungripped. My biggest lens is the 24-70 and I usually complement it with a 50 or 85mm.

Anyone got one?

From what I've seen the 5 might be just big enough for 1 camera and 2 lenses. You should email Think Tank though. I emailed them with list of the gear I planned to carry (including future gear that I planned on getting), and they got back to me within a couple of days letting me know which bag would fit it all. Saved me from getting too big a bag, I ended up ordering the Retrospective 10 instead of the 30.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

Is there anything like an RS-7 that lets me keep my tripod plate attached to my camera?

I use an RS-4(? Or 5 I can't remember) but I threaded a keychain ring through one of my strap holders and clip it there. Works pretty well, though it does get in the way sometimes, but not too much and not often enough for me to go back to the tripod mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

If I am reading the specs right the Retrospective 7 is literally a Retrospective 10 with an inch chopped off the height :psyduck:

:eng101: It's also a few inches wider to fit an iPad in the back pocket (which the 10 couldn't do)

I love my 10 to death, but it is a pain to fit a tablet into.

• Locked thread