Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Wooten posted:

I got a Pelican 1510 with dividers today. It feels sturdy, has plenty of handles, and the wheels are a nice touch. So far so good, hard to say only owning it an hour. I also got a Blackrapid RS-4 and as was mentioned earlier in the thread, the mount gets in the way when I'm using the battery grip. Seeing as I use the grip constantly, I think I might need to find another option. If only there was a way just to attach it to the strap mounts instead of the tripod mount.

I ended up making my own version of a BlackRapid strap, but I was in the same boat in regards to attaching it to the grip on my D700. Instead, I added a split ring to one of the strap mounts so that my clip would fit, and it works great for me. I might end up getting an "official" BlackRapid strap, but I would end up attaching it in the same fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
I was looking at a few backpacks over the last couple weeks but couldn't find anything that I really liked. Checked out a Tamrac Aero Speedpack 85 and a Tenba Shootout, but neither quite fit the bill.

Picked up a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home from somebody on Craigslist today for $30. Very nice bag - especially for the money. I especially like the dividers in the 7MDH. The make it easy to fit a lot of gear in the bag.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
Just got a ThinkTank Streetwalker HD, and it is THE bag I was looking for. Fits all of my stuff exactly the way I want, and it is built extremely well. I'm glad I got it.

One thing that I like, is that it has a little bit of a ledge designed for Pro/Gripped bodies. A few other bags I tried didn't have that, and the flash/mirror housing would stick up too far when you zipped the bag shut.

As of right now, it is holding a gripped D700 with 70-200 2.8 VRII attached, 24-70 2.8, 50 1.8, (2) SB600, Nikon battery charger, ThinkTank rain cover, blower, lens pen, and an Energizer 15 min. quick charger & power brick all in the main storage area. There is an empty space for the 70-200 when it is not attached to the camera. If I wanted, I could easily store 2 more lenses (14-24 2.8, 105 2.8 micro)in it if I stored everything taken apart. Ditch the chargers, and I can store a 2nd body.

I love this bag.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

nonanone posted:

Some really crappy one, Rozo something AW. I thought about trying the Katas too, but if the Streetwalker's not too big, I might give that a try, since I'm pretty much a thinktank fanboy already.

It's kind of a long and skinny bag. I have the HD and love it. Doesn't look that big, but holds tons of stuff.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Remo posted:

I also find it much easier to pack my D700 + grip separately from my lenses. Its just too bulky and unwieldy with a lens on. Its a minor hassle to assemble and disassemble the lens when packing/unpacking.

My gripped D700 with a 70-200 2.8 attached fits great in my Thinktank Streetwalker HD. 'Normal' bags are a pain, but I had ok luck with a 7MDH too..

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Remo posted:

Hey fellow Streetwalker HD owner!

Yeah that's what I will do when I need to bring the 70-200 out, but when I need to bring some nano lightstands or my tripod, putting the body to one of the side pockets allows the center column to be used. The amount of stuff I can stuff inside this drat bag is amazing.

I know.. I have the camera/grip, 70-200, 24-70, 50, 2 SB600's, a bunch of spare batteries, blower bulb, battery charger and some other nonsense in the bag and it still seems half empty. Fantastic bag.

I think it's the first camera bag I've had that I don't regret buying. I guess I don't regret the 7M$H either, but only because I got a killer deal on it from some old guy selling it on Craigslist.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
I have the Streetwalker HD and I love it. Gripped D700 w/ 70-200f2.8 attached fits great. I also have 2 speedlights, 50 1.8, 24-70 2.8 and some other stuff in it with room to spare. It's built like a tank. I really don't think it feels bulky at all.

I have a 7MDH somewhere that I would cram most of that stuff (minus 70-200) into. It was not very easy to get things in and out though, if you had it full. I much prefer the thinktank bag.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
Yeah, it is really nice being able to have my laptop in the bag as well. It does get pretty heavy when you have all that stuff in it (especially the laptop), but I find that I'm only carrying everything like that if I'm traveling. The bag also fits great in overhead storage on planes.

If I'm going for a hike, I normally take out everything I'm not going to need (strobes, laptop, etc.). It makes it much lighter to carry.

Not for everyone, but it does a great job for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
I normally just put stuff on a shelf in a closet. If I have a soft case that came with the lens, it will go into that first. I have other bags and whatnot that I can put it into as well.

I'm guessing that's what most people do?

• Locked thread