Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I have a friend who leaving the US and coming back to Europe and asked if he could crash on my sofa for a week.

"Only if you bring me an RS-7"

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Fungah posted:

drat straight. It costs the same in pounds here as in dollars in the states. Plus I couldn't find it in the UK with the 3rd generation mount. I got my parents to bring one back from B&H.

It's kind of ridiculous. We're already gauged so much in Europe, do they really have to get us on accessories too?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Fungah posted:

I'm assuming its because BR are a relatively small company that doesn't have the massive distribution network which makes it expensive for them to send relatively few units over here.

Knowing what I know now though, I'd probably pay £60 for one. Its seriously a revalation!

I dunno, the distributor they use in the UK is the same one that litepanel uses - and those prices are relatively in line with the US prices. Dollar = Pound prices just really rub me the wrong way.

(I have been researching into buying a black rapid strap and litepanels)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Haggins posted:

If you want I can mail you one from the US. I don't think it'd cost
more than $10 USD to ship it to the UK.

Thanks for the offer.

My friend is a camera nut and is in NYC for a week so he'll definitely be hitting up B&H, so hopefully he'll be able to pick up the strap no problem. I'll let you know if he fails though, and I might take you up.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

My Domke in case of emergency can carry three pineapples. This is however without any camera equipment stored.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I can't recommend my Kata Dr-467 http://www.amazon.com/Kata-DR-467i-Digital-Rucksack-Black/dp/B003036CTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296055647&sr=8-1 enough. It's very comfortable, durable, and cheap. It's under a $100. I've seen another photog hold his 40d with 70-200 in the top compartment.

I have this and it's great.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

If you're on your feet for any length at all I strongly recommend getting a backpack no matter how dorky it looks. As neat as messenger style bags are they can really murder your back.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

I have a backpack that I wear when I ride my bike to work. I also have that bigass Burton backpack that I schlep out to locations.
I really just want a messenger bag to hold my random things when I'm out on the town not necessarily shooting. My Contax plus an extra lens weighs barely a pound. I just want a protective area in a general-use bag for tossing it in so I have it with me if I see a decisive moment. I'm still just amazed that no one makes a storage bag with a small protective compartment. It seems so obvious, but I guess there's no demand for it.

Ah, I get you. Have you looked into maybe just getting a padded bag/pouch as an insert?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

jsmith114 posted:

Thanks for all of the replies. Just when I thought I had decided on the Retrospective 10 I started looking at eBay prices and noticed a bunch of Malaysian sellers listing new Crumpler 7MDH for $65. These guys don't have much positive feedback - this has to be counterfeit or something, right?

I'd imagine bags have a huge markup and the wholesale prices are quite low so it might be ligt and through a weird loophole. I got my domke for nearly 60% off on ebay and it's definitely legit. Of course that was from a domestic seller so your milage may vary.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Just won a Think Tank Airport International v2 on ebay! Hope it's worth it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

They're supposed to be fantastic. I'll be curious to see what you think of it.

Yeah, I really want a roller that isn't a pelican as I'll actually be rolling it quite a bit travelling around London. Apparently the wheels are great and it just eats gear. I've heard pelicans end up being much smaller than you think they'll be and the rolling wheels aren't ideal.

I've managed to fit two strobe heads (BXRI 500s) in a Kata backpack and my stands and soft boxes come in pretty nice carrying cases so I can put my bodies and lenses in the think tank and just about have my whole set up be man portable.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

My thinktank airport international 2 is pretty awesome.

Of course I decided to try and save and got a second hand one on ebay which came with half the dividers they're supposed to so I had to order another set.

It's pretty great at what it does, it certainly isn't inexpensive. But for the amount of gear I was carrying on my back I really needed a nice trolly bag. I can just about fit my monolights in it too but they actually are lighter than my bodies and lenses so they stay in my backpack, but I can probably configure a loadout that's just a body and lens and maybe one strobe head.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Boo got shot posted:

Hey folks,

I was wondering if I anyone had any insight on a pelican case solution for strobes? I've got three alien bees (800s) that I prefer to store with their standard reflectors still attached, a couple grids, and a vegabond mini and I plan to add probably one or two more lights (einstien) and probably another vegabond. I've also got a few umbrellas, large softbox, beauty dish etc, but I think I'll continue to keep those with the stands unless someone has a better suggestion. I see the 1654 come up a lot but I feel like this may be too big for what I have now, does anyone use a pelican for a similar lighting set up or have any suggestions? I'm also interested in pelican suggestions for my camera gear - 5dmII, 24-104, 50, 70-200, 17mm t/s, 580, radiopoppers, cards, cords, etc. I currently use the Ari Marcopoulos bag (for everything but the tilt-shift, that thing gets left at home unless needed), and while it's nice and slick looking, it's a tight fit and lately I have been predominately shooting fashion or boudoir in every location and terrain imaginable in the southeast and would love the option of something more durable. Thanks for any input y'all.

hard cases are pretty trendy but don't fit nearly as much space as you think you do. I would strongly recommend think tank stuff if you're going to conditions where you don't need a case that can be submersed in water or sustain anvils falling from the sky. The airport international is awesome and eats all my gear. In a pinch I could probably fit in a mono head with a body and lenses or two mono heads.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, the wheels for pelican cases are awful. The Think Tank stuff has like proper rubberised wheels that work on uneven ground and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I'm not sure if I ever posted it here but I did a review of my think tank on my blog - http://blog.smread.com/2012/08/my-precioussss-looking-after-yo-kit.html

• Locked thread