Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

A thread for the gear to stick your gear in. I could write up a much more detailed OP but it's easier if we just get people to chime in and state what they use and whether it works.

YOU MUST REALISE THAT WHAT WORKS FOR ONE PERSON MIGHT NOT WORK FOR ANOTHER. THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO GO INTO A SHOP AND TRY ON A BUNCH OF BAGS! Feel the weight, feel the straps and fit. If this is something you will be taking overseas and carrying around for a few weeks you want comfort over most everything else.

Bags - Generally the soft bags that have compartments for sticking in camera gear. You can get backpacks, messengre bags, shoulder bags, slings, soft cases or just use any other bag. Some are water resistant, some have covers and some can even float on water.

Off the top of my head the main big brands are

Lowepro
Crumpler
Tamrac
Kata

Something that some people dislike about the major camera bags is that it advertises they have a lot of expensive gear in that bag. Whether or not this bothers you is something to take into account. So branding can play a big part. You could always but a normal backpack and just get the protective inserts to put inside.

Each camera manufacturer usually also makes bags but in my experience they suck.

Cases - The hard ones that you will often see professionals or people who have to travel lots haul around.

Pelican cases are the big brand here. They are only ones I have had experience with and they are very good at protecting your stuff (although quite expensive). I've used them for video gear, electronics and anything I need to protect. They will withstand dropping from large heights and are watertight.

They come in a million sizes and varieties.

Housings - Generally a case that goes around the actual camera and allows it to go underwater.

I don't really know anything about these so if someone wants to do a write up I will put it in here.

Armour - Basically like a rubber or plastic covering that goes around your camera and lens.

Again I don't really use this and it seems fairly pointless unless you drop your camera lots of are working in a very harsh environment.

Straps - A replacement for the generic strap your camera comes with.

Theres lots to choose with and most will do a better job than the lovely one Canon/Nikon will give you. Also less conspicuous.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Mannequin posted:

I would be curious to hear from anyone who has Pelican cases and whether they like them. Which one do you use and how much equipment can you put in it? I was thinking of getting the 1510 Carry On Case but I'm not sure if foam is better or the dividers. Is this the case most photographers buy?

I wish it had bigger pictures of what it could hold because that would give me a good idea of whether it's worth using on big jobs instead of my Crumpler Whiskey and Cox (which is really not that great a bag).

I use them for video work. Usually got a couple this size http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_storm.php?Case=iM2200

The foam is better if you won't be changing your gear anytime soon. It feels sturdier. The biggest problem is they are a bastard if you are carrying around unlike a backpack. They are pretty drat heavy and these are only fairly small ones.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Just bought this backpack.

http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-4-33.html

Needed a backpack to fit all my stuff that is suitable for use overseas. This bag is pretty much exactly what I needed.

Fits everything
Has room for other misc items that aren't camera related
Holds a tripod
Comfortable for long distances
Has a weather cover/is waterproof

Main entrance is from the back (which is kind of good, more secure I guess) and has a side easy access thing. PLUS it actually looks more like a normal backpack.

Plus it only cost me AUD$160

I was also looking at the Lowepro Prorunner 350 AW (which was good but $270). A tamrac bag that didn't have any areas for other misc stuff and the Kata 3N1-33 which had a tripod system I didn't really like. Couldnt even figure out the tripod thing at first and the rest of the bag was loving odd to use. I almost bought it till i realised there were no tripod straps. But the vaguard is $40 less :)

Plus it won some 2010 TIPA award or some poo poo for best camera bag.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

ricepaddydaddy posted:

Are there any backpacks that are waterproof, and that can support adding on additional items like hiking/camping equipment? Or should I just go a military style backpack and buy some waterproof bags for my camera gear?

What do you mean by waterproof?

Do you want something with a weather shield or something you can drop into water and it will float/stay dry?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Marklar posted:

So how do you like this bag? I have a huge Crumpler bag (Brian's Hot Tub), and it's pretty annoying to walk around with, even when not fully-loaded, as it's just awkwardly big. I bought it online, so it's my fault for not trying it out first.

The Vanguard, though, looks really nice and a bit smaller. Just wondering if you had any positive/negative experiences with it, i.e. hiking, sight-seeing, etc.

I absolutely love it so far. It has a lot of little things which make it really great. Like being able to tuck away straps and alter things if you wish. The front section which is good for shoving a thin jacket into.

The most I've taken it around is just on a day trip with it half full and it was very comfortable. No tripod and only one body with lenses.

Will be going overseas with it soon hopefully.

EDIT: The only con can be the tripod as it sits in the side rather than across the back which means if your tripod is REALLY heavy it will feel lopsided and if your tripod is REALLY big when folded it will stick out a lot more.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 13, 2010

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Allistar posted:

Can you give an updated review on the Vanguard? I really like the look on it and want to know how well built it is.

Thanks!

What are you wanting to know exactly? The build quality feels pretty drat solid. Nice large thick buckles and thick straps. Feels just as good as any of the other big manufacturers.

EDIT: The most annoying thing is having the tripod support on the side. If you have a heavy tripod it makes the backpack lopsided. It becomes noticeable after a few hours of carrying it.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 14, 2010

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Photex posted:

here's an odd one, has anyone purchased the Deviant Art Camera Bag located here http://news.deviantart.com/article/130298/

I hate large sling bags. They just get too uncomfortable when full.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I've posted about the Vanguard Up-Rise 45 before and whilst I think its a great bag there are two annoying things that have come up the more I use it. First is having the tripod holders on the side. I wish they were on the front like a normal pack.

Second is that the back opening part does not open up fully

Click here for the full 700x700 image.

You can see in the picture that its got those elastic net parts on the side. Makes it less likely for stuff to fall out if you have the pack on and swing it round to open it but it makes it annoying when you have the pack on the floor and are trying to organise everything in.

Its not really that big of a deal but just frustrating when you pull everything out and put it back.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Theres a few people on here who just use the basic army surplus messenger bags and then put the inserts in them. I personally just carry around my camera and a spare lens tucked in a beanie if I'm just walking around for the day :)

As long as I dont throw the bag around I'm fine.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Do you want a shoulder bag or a backpack? A shoulder bag is going to be cumbersome with a tripod hanging off it.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

In Europe they are just gonna take a bag regardless of whats in it if you have it lying around. Its not like they walk around with the intention of getting cameras. They just look for people who look like they are easy targets or who look clueless.

Same goes for any place really. Unless its a film camera anything is worth money and you're probably going to have you camera out a lot of the time anyway.

With that said I just use a leather shoulder bag from tanner goods because 99% of camera bags look like poo poo. But if I have to carry all my gear then i take a proper backpack.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

just linking up some camera bags i've found over the past few months that aren't hideous ugly pieces of poo poo:

http://www.onabags.com/store/men/the-union-street.html#ranger-tan

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/CL58033

for the ladies:

http://www.acmemade.com/product/The-Bowler-Camera-Bag,24,5.htm

and, an entire blog dedicated to finding the best camera bag:

http://www.bagexposure.com/

This is my current everyday camera bag

Of course its not actually a camera bag but its width fits a camera quite snuggly.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

This bag looks really really good.

http://www.burton.com/mens-bags-luggage-packs-f-stop-pack/236550,default,pd.html

I think I might actually buy it at that price and sell my vanguard. Only thing I would prefer is a brightly coloured interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

How do you guys do serious hiking and carry your gear with you?

Im going to be living out of a car/tent for about 5 weeks whilst I hit up Yosemite, Yellowstone, The Grand Canyon and lots of wilderness. During the day I'm planning on doing some pretty serious treks and would like to take my camera stuff.

I'll have loads of crap in my car but I'll probably just take a camera and 1 or 2 lenses with me when im on a full day hike, for example I want to do Half Dome at Yosemite if I can get a pass. I'm guessing I'll just take a proper hiking backpack and stick the camera in there but if anyone had any other ideas that would be good.

Walking for an hour or two with a tripod is going to suck though (Probably if I'm planning on doing some stuff at sunset/sunrise).

• Locked thread