Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

When I'm going hiking or climbing, I use my Lowepro Cirrus:

It's small and simple - there's the main camera compartment, an internal pouch for memory cards, and an external pouch. The really nice thing is that the belt loop is large enough to slide over the webbing portion of most hiking pack waist belts. In combination with a pack with two tool loops, like the one in the picture, you get a really nice, speedy system: camera on belt, ice axe on one loop, tripod on the other, which means fast setup without removing the pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dread Head posted:

I am also possibly looking for another for when I am going to be hiking/camping and will be wearing a backpack with all my camping gear, I would probably only have 2 (maybe 3) lenses + body.

You'll want something that will go on your pack's waist belt, something like the Cirrus in my post above. Keep a short zoom on the camera and your lenses in your pack.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Pureone posted:

I guess the reason that I wasn't looking for a pure backpacking backpack was because I want to get something that I would be able to use in everyday photography. Especially as I get more gear for it.

That bag would probably do fine for carrying your camera, but it's not going to get around Asia in terms of clothing and toiletries. You're going to need something that'll carry a couple of pairs of pants, some shirts, all your toiletries, and all the crap you accumulate on the trip. You're really going to need an actual pack.

I do a lot of actual packing, and I just toss my camera in a bag with my other gear. I've used this one (http://www.rei.com/product/796730/osprey-stratos-24-pack) for a lot of day (or overnight, if it's warm and I can sleep in my hammock) trips, and it's gotten me up and down Colorado 14ers, through Toronto, all sorts of places. You'll probably need something bigger for several months of travel, though, unless you're going to be wearing strictly that specialized no-stink synthetic clothing and sticking to a really dedicated no-souvenir policy.

• Locked thread