Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yeah bag thread :toot:

In the case line, I'd like to give a shoutout to the Hardigg Storm Case, which in my limited experience, is every bit as strong as Pelican. That said, onto my stuff:

Lowepro Computrekker AW. This is a pretty big bag, no getting around that. This can easily handle both my bodies, and all 4 lenses with space for more. Also will handle my laptop and power cord, although it is only rated for up to a 15" computer, so those of you with huge laptops may be out of luck. If you have heavier gear (I shoot Oly so this is less of a problem), it does also have two straps to cross your hips and support the weight. As the name implies, it has an All-Weather cover tucked in the bottom and it works extremely well and will still allow use of the shoulder straps. Despite the size, it is just small enough for airline carry-on, and that is awesome. If you have a lot of stuff to haul, this is a great bag.

LowePro Inverse 100 AW. I use this mainly for my sporting events, and it can handle one body with lens attached, and 2 others, although this is a pretty tight fit. Those of you with the popular white lenses by either Canon or Nikon (I can't remember who makes them, but these things) might not be able to get it in here, but I can't say for certain. Obviously there isn't a ton of space here but for me it works great. I can take my E-30 body attached to my 70-300, along with a 40-150 and my 25mm f/2.8 prime and it all will juuussst barely fit. Using the hip straps takes a little getting used to, and if you don't need them, they will fold into the padded portion of the bag and there are two loops for a traditional shoulder strap, although this is a bit of an odd fit. Comes with the aforementioned AW cover.

Those who have bigger lenses may need a bigger bag, but then again, this isn't really designed for big stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rockcity posted:

Then I have a SKB golf case to carry all my stands, tripod, cables, and other large objects when I have to take my gear on a plane.

Not too much I can say about this really since it's not designed to be photo gear. It works awesome though.

Echoing the SKB love. I have one for my golf clubs and it is amazing. Customer service is very nice. The handle at the top got broken by an airline and in a 1 minute phone call they shipped me a new one free of charge.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nonanone posted:

Pros: could kill someone easily.

I really need to use this more often as criteria for any of my equipment.

EDIT: Selling my Lowepro Inverse 100AW here

DJExile fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 3, 2010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

slearch posted:

I am looking for a backpack that has the feature in the picture here where you can quickly bring the backpack around, unzip that compartment and pull the camera out easily. I looked at the fastpacks and the straps look really uncomfortable. Does anyone have any recommendations for backpacks with that feature that are more comfortable, and that can hold a laptop?

It's worth it to give those Fastpacks a try, if you can get to a store that has them. Many camera stores do, and I've seen a lot of Lowepro bags at Best Buy.

If you prefer 2 straps though, the LowePro CompuPrimus AW looks like it will fit the bill for you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I just realized I got them confused. The Fastpacks DO have both backpack straps. I was thinking of the one strap Slingshot bags. :downs:

The Slingshot 350 carries laptops, as does the new Classified 220, and both open from the side, so there's a couple other options for you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Byte, I'd love to hear about the Slingshot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

killabyte posted:

Slingshot 200

The slingshot 200 is a decent bag. I use it when I only want to carry a body and one lens and maybe a couple of accessories. My biggest problem is that my back seems to get really sweaty with it, and it doesn't carry the weight very well of heavier gear. You can fit a surprising amount in it though, and you can work out of it reasonably well "on the go". For the price, it's nice enough. I wish the top section was a little more thought out, it's kind of a weird shape and maybe needs a small divider in it. I actually crammed an entire Bronica ETRSi in to the top of it once.

Awesome. I'm looking at the newer slingshot 202 and Classified Slingshot so this gives me something to go on. Thanks :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Those look great. If you could at least show a picture of the interior and how things fit, that'd be awesome. Thinktank's website doesn't seem to want to show you the inside of some of their smaller models.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 10, 2010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

My wife got me this for our anniversary:

The Billingham 335

I feel a bit odd carrying it around, but it can hold a lot and it's materials are top notch. I probably would have preferred she spend $400 on a new lens though instead of a camera bag. A bit too fancy for my cheap gear.

Dude that bag owns bones. That is classy as hell and your wife is awesome.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm looking for a new bag that can be a good all-around (usually walkaround or maybe at a sporting event) that could hold my E-30 with either a 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 or the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD I'm saving for, along with a 40-150 and my 25mm pancake. After a generic small Promaster square bag and Lowepro Inverse beltpack thing, I think it's about time I join you folks with messenger-type bags.

Crumpler bags seem nice but I've heard they don't have that much padding, and to my knowledge there aren't pads on the seatbelt-looking shoulder straps, but I may be wrong there.

Aside from things like the Crumpler _ Million Dollar Home, and the new ThinkTank Retrospectives (I'd like something with a pretty inconspicuous look), is there anything else I should be looking at?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mephistopheles posted:

I need some advice from you knowledgeable folks.

I have the Lowepro Computrekker AW and absolutely love it. You can easily find them closer to $125-130. Shoulder straps are well padded and there are straps to go across your hips as well. Tripod holder on the back.

Took it on flights to/from Detroit and Boston right after the attempted Christmas bombing at DTW and security and the gate had no problem with it. It will get under the seat just fine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Blindeye posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on this bag?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563945-REG/Lowepro_LP35264_PEU_Nova_200_AW_Shoulder.html

I have a small 15 dollar used lowepro bag but I've rapidly outgrown it for most things (it holds 1 lens and 1 slr with lens and it's not very comfortable to wear for long periods). This bag seems to fit my budget and have room to spare, but does it have any disadvantages to say a slingbag or a crumpler bag? I like slings but from using a friend's they don't hold as much as this bag would.

Lowepro is always solid and their AW covers are fantastic. I don't think Crumplers have them but I don't know how well they stand up to water. Given their cost I'd have to imagine they're good for it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

scottch posted:

I have the 5 Million Dollar Home, and while it's not weather-proof by any means, I'd feel safe in all but the craziest of weather.

Yeah, in fairness, I shoot a lot of outdoor sports, and here in the Toledo area, I have to pretty much expect downpours out of goddamn nowhere. I'd imagine most of Crumpler's offerings are perfectly fine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

Need some opinions. I currently have a lowepro slingshot 200 and my gear just fits in. Problem is that I want more gear such as a 400/5.6 and I really hate the 1 shoulder support. (I'm also hoping to join the goons in the medium format thread some day - but that's more aspirational than immediate consideration).

I was thinking about the lowepro mini trekker or the computrekker. I couldn't find any in stock at my local shop but looking at the other lowepro backpacks today I'm not really sure. They all seem to be padded boxes with shoulder straps added as an afterthought like those small wheeled carry-on sized suitcases that have shoulder straps - good enough for a quick walk through a terminal but not for real carrying. Reviews suggest this may be correct.

What else would people suggest? Needs to be able to fit a gripped body, telephoto + 3/4 other lenses, flash and miscellaneous accessories plus support an 055 mounted externally on the centreline of the pack. Laptop is nice but I'm not planing to use it with both camera gear and the laptop so that's less important. Must be designed as a backpack first rather than a box with straps.

I'm now looking at the Kata R-103 but for 3x price of the lowepro I figure I can wait 24 hours to hear other opinions.

I have the Computrekker AW and it's worked great for me. Very comfortable and I can carry it all day if needed. In fairness, I'm rolling with Oly gear which is a bit lighter than most. It will hold:

My laptop
E-30 Body with battery grip
E-410 body
40-150mm f/3.5-4.5
70-300mm f/4.0-5.6
25mm f/2.8
FL-36R hotshoe flash
Laptop power cord
Small cleaning kit
Battery charger
Tripod along the back

It does have the hip straps as well to support weight but I haven't used them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

Yeah, weight and weight distribution is an issue for me and the other lowepro products I've seen in between the slingshot series and the pro trekker series all seem to be ok with weight but support it too far back, and not fit contours too well. The slingshots are small enough that it doesn't really matter and the pro trekkers seem to be good quality but the others I was able to find all looked poo poo.

If you put a couple of house bricks in there and strapped one more to the outside back of the pack, would you still say it was ok to carry around all day? Do the hip straps sit on your hips or above your hips (assuming 6')?

All day should be OK, but most I've warn this is for a few hours at a time. I do agree that they can get a little back-heavy.

I'm 6'6", part of the reason I don't use those staps, odds are they'd be well above my hips. :shobon:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

Thanks. I think I'd want to see the bag before buying it though - general lowepro design doesn't look great even if their manufacturing quality is very good. I'll try another local shop (last one I haven't checked in Sydney!) today and look for one.

If you'd like, I can take pictures of my bag and gear to give you an idea.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

thanks for the offer but I think I've seen almost every picture online already. Although not many seem to show how the bag sits on your back when fully loaded, just what fits in it (*hint*). I managed to find a mini trekker yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I had feared but I couldn't try it on with weight in it. Sorry to be asking so much but I got to be really picky about packs and how they fit from my time in the army.

The flipside 400 seemed more comfortable but couldn't take a proper tripod at all. How well would your bag hold a bigger tripod like an aluminium 055?

This amazon listing shows a couple with it on some dude. I'll try and get a couple on me when I can.

EDIT: I use some basic $50 tripod for now and it holds it with plenty of allowance for more.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Cirrus seems a little more padded, which I would like.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone use the Hardig Stormcase in any form? I got to try one a while back and they seem really drat nice, along with a much easier to open clasp.

E: I'm just now learning that Pelican owns them or something. When did that happen?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm in a bit of a tough spot now and wondering if someone can point me in the right way. My biggest camera setup now will be the Olympus E-30 with battery grip and the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD, but I don't have a lot to carry after that. At the most on my sports shoots, I might also have my 25mm pancake and a hotshoe flash.

Kind of a goofy loadout, to be sure.

I'm looking at the Thinktank Urban Disguise line and the Retrospective 30. Anyone use either of these that can tell me about them? They seem like really nice bags but I wonder how good the padding is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KickStand posted:

If you only have what you described in your post you might be better off with the Retrospective 20. Heres another goons review on it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298813&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post377022726

Alternately if you decide to get the 30 I am sure the padding and everything would be exactly the same just bigger so the review is still valid.

Wow I skipped right by this. Thanks! :cheers:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Selling a Promaster L-200 and Lowepro Inverse 100AW.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the Burton Zoom Pack?

http://www.zappos.com/burton-zoom-pack-black

I want a pack I can hike with to locations and this seems like the perfect fit for me. It has to fit 2-3 bodies plus film and maybe some snacks or whatever. In other words, enough to do a shoot if I choose to make it the only thing I bring out into teh field with me, but not any larger than it needs to be.

Curious that I don't see any shots of the inside of the bag, and no mention of either a rain/dust shield (a la Lowepro's All-Weather cover) or general water resistance sends up a red flag.

Given the dimensions, if that big lower section is entirely for camera gear, then you should be good in terms of size. What kind of bodies/lenses would you have?

EDIT

Website Description posted:

Removable heat pocket for extended battery life.

...the hell? :confused:

--------

Got the BlackRapid RS-7 on Friday and holy poo poo I see why people love these things.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Cold batteries hold fuckall charge. So you keep them in your pockets, or in a bag compartment next to a chemical heat source.

Ohhhhh, :downs: I thought there was some kind of battery powering.... something in the bag. That makes a ton more sense though.

BobTheCow posted:

I love seeing this reaction, because I always feel like such a jackass trying to explain why I love mine so much.

"It's like a strap, man, but it goes ACROSS your body, and it hangs upside down and you can just slide it up whenever... no, really, it's worth the $50, I swear!"

Maybe I just need to learn better persuasive argument.

It's amazingly natural. It's really that people just need to see it in action. They're not kidding when they say it's fast though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

phillys posted:

I'm looking for a backpack that can house a Nikon D200, mid-zoom lens and a nifty fifty as well as my dell XPS M1330 + charger. It's not a lot of stuff to carry but I need something that's slim and light. Padding would be nice but willing to forgo it if it can help to reduce the bulk. Prefer to be weather proof too (at least can survive rain/drizzle)

Is there any bag like this? I'm thinking of the Lowepro Fastpack 250 but the bottom is kinda big and fat. The width is perfect but it's just too thick. Any suggestions?

I have the Inverse 100 AW for sale if you'd like. Sounds like it should fit the bill for you.

E: Durrrr read "Beltpack", not "backpack". :saddowns:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spedman posted:

I've been looking around for a stylish camera and if possible laptop bag, so far all I've found that I like is a few of the crumpler messenger bags, but then I came across this one:

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/ari-marcopoulos-camera-bag-cl58033

Designed by a photographer, looks to be an interesting option.

Looks fairly nice but that seatbelt shoulder strap is ugly as sin. Looks like you'd have to have something more the size of a netbook too, if that iPad in there is anything to go by.

E: The signature is kinda tacky too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tincans posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for hand straps?

I have the OPTech Grip Strap and really like it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

I have this one as well, it's great and supports massive amounts of weight with no problems yet (1d2 + flash + (not sure whats the heaviest lens I've put on while using a flash at the same time, but it's worked with my 35mm/2 which is apparantly 1.6 lbs according to Amazon.. and it does feel pretty drat heavy))

Yeah, my E-30 + battery grip + 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 is a bit of a load but not so much it bothers me. The strap's a good help but it can get cumbersome if you want to shoot portrait.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

With a larger body and lens, my medium bag had to go and has now been replaced by the Stealth Reporter 300 AW. Holds my E-30 + battery grip, 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5, 25mm prime, and hotshoe flash. Plenty of room for spare batteries and came with a neat stashed-away attached memory card wallet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Photex posted:

here's an odd one, has anyone purchased the Deviant Art Camera Bag located here http://news.deviantart.com/article/130298/

OK I'll admit when I read your post and realized DA made a bag I thought it would be some awful piece of crap. That actually looks fairly nice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's really neat and it looks quite a bit bigger than Think Tank's website seemed to show. Where does the netbook fit in, and what size is it? Looks like 10.1"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm going to put some pictures up tonight but holy hell is the Stealth Reporter 300AW nice. Right now it's holding my E-30 + battery grip, 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 (detached), 25mm f/2.8, 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, hotshoe flash, batteries, and some light gloves for hockey games.

There are a number of hidden zippered pockets kind of between the outer shell of the bag and the inner padding. They don't serve a lot of purpose with the padding/dividers in there, but those can be pretty easily removed if you want to use it like a small duffel bag, then the pouches come into use nicely.

The quick access zipper across the top seems very nicely sealed/rubberized/whatever to help keep most dust/moisture out (although it also has the AW cover) and it's long enough to allow you pretty good access to anything in the bag. One of the outer pouches is actually nicely padded for an MP3 player, cellphone, or smart phone so it doesn't get banged around. The memory card wallet seems a bit larger than anyone would really ever need (it can hold 12 CF/SD/XD cards, are you reporters only issued 128MB cards or something? :psyduck:) but being attached to the bag is a nice touch and it tucks out of the way pretty well.

Bag itself feels notably sturdier than some of Lowepro's other offerings. Seems like it could take a good few bumps without trouble. I found this for $100 and if you need a good mid-sized bag for just about anything short of including a netbook, it's worth looking into.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That is some seriously thick padding and velcro walls in there, drat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Does anyone know a site where you can see pictures of cases being held by people so you can see how big they are when carrying? I've got a Slingshot 302 that's way the gently caress too big for the amount of equipment I have, and also it will only go over your right should which is really unintuitive for me. I'm looking at the Stealh Reporter 200 or 300 but I can't decide which I'd rather have. I've only got a 7D with grip, a 50mm, 17-50, and 70-300 which is relatively short for it's focal length. I think I could probably go with a 200, but I'd really like to see how it balances against my body. I guess I could try to find a local store that has them.

I have the Stealth Reporter 300AW and I'd be happy to take some pictures of it on me tonight if you like. That is currently holding:

Olympus E-30 + Battery grip
50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 (not attached to camera)
25mm f/2.8
FL-36R Flash unit
Flash bounce
Pair of light gloves (I'm usually shooting football or hockey games)
Spare batteries
MP3 Player
Note cards + Pens

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I would love you forever.

:love:

Sorry, with my 410 sold, my only other camera is my Blackberry.

From above.
Left to right: E-30 with 25mm f/2.8 attached.
Battery charger (middle top)
50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD (middle bottom)
FL-36R flash (fully extended, right top, Gloves will also tuck in here)
Blackrapid strap attached to 50-200mm lens (right bottom)

From the front with bottle of Windex for scale.

The two pockets currently hold AA batteries for the flash, both spare batteries for the body, filter for the 50-200, wireless shutter release.

From above.

There are a couple great 'hidden' pockets at the front and back of the removable padded shell. This is towards the front of the bag. Inside is an attached zippered wallet that holds...

A shitload of memory cards.

I'll get one of the bag on me in a second.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

How big are those memory-card holders, would a 49mm or 52mm filter fit in one?

This wallet would probably hold one without a problem.

Bag on me. The strap is almost as far out as it can go, and for reference, I'm 6'6".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Happy to help!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Domke messenger-style bags are very unassuming and you could probably cut the tag in the corners of them off if you wanted.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gambl0r posted:

I know this is a random piece of information, but I just discovered it and I had to share...

The front pocket of the Tamrac Adventure 4 (which is an excellent messenger-style bag), is the perfect size for an 11" MacBook air. It would probably fit in there with a tight-fitting neoprene sleeve, too if you want scratch protection.

I thought I was going to have to buy yet another bag to carry around some camera gear + the laptop, but the Tamrac is going to work great.

Do Tamracs have an all-weather cover or how do they do in the rain as they are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gambl0r posted:

That particular Tamrac bag is not weather-protected at all... There's no all-weather cover and the actual camera compartment is not sealed shut, there us just a buckled-down flap over the top of the compartment. The front pocket is just a normal zipper, not gasketed. Sooooo not a great all-weather bag... But it is very durable. Its been my trusty urbex bag for two years. Now it will be my backup / camera+laptop bag since I've bought the Kata 3-in-1 backpack.

I was thinking about doing a video review thing for the Kata - would anyone be interested in that?

Thanks, after hockey season, lacrosse kicks in and downpours here in Toledo will come out of goddamn nowhere at times.

I'd be curious to see the 3-in-1 though, I've heard good things.

• Locked thread