Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A couple nights ago I saw the Lowepro Classified Sling 220. That is a loving enormous bag.

Blandaverage, I checked out a 5 million and it would hold my 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 perfectly fine. I know that's shorter than the 70-200 f/2.8 but I don't see why that wouldn't fit by itself. Attached to a body, it might not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

subx posted:

They might be made by other companies, but I think they are unique designs. Overpriced though, yes.

Promaster just made some similar ones. I saw them in a local store for more around $60-70.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lowepro's AW covers are fantastic, and if you're worried about your bag not having a specific weather cover, you can get that waterproofing spray from any sporting goods or camping store for very little money.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dread Head posted:

The covers are great unless you are using a bag with a tripod holder in which case you have to choose using the cover and holding your tripod or no cover and use the holder. At least on all the lowpro bags I have used. That said I normally don't bother with the cover much anymore because the padding does a pretty drat good job of keeping stuff dry.

Yeah that's entirely fair. I don't carry tripods so I hadn't really thought of that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

The shop also gave me this sweet keychain light!

hahaha that's awesome. Are those big velcro panels in the 2nd shot the only way the flap holds shut, and can you block them to keep sound down?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

just linking up some camera bags i've found over the past few months that aren't hideous ugly pieces of poo poo:

http://www.onabags.com/store/men/the-union-street.html#ranger-tan

This is gorgeous. Goddamn.

I would like that 2nd one if it didn't have that tacky signature on it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I just spent a long weekend in LA with this Swissgear Zinc ME and it worked very well. It has two padded flaps across the top of the interior and I may cut those out, but to hold a body attached to a 14-54, a separate 30mm f/1.4, hotshoe flash, bottle of water, and my Galaxy Tab, it was fantastic.

EDIT: There aren't a ton of them out there and $60 isn't the greatest price ever, but it's not bad at all if you're travelling light and has plenty of padding. The exterior is a sort of gray canvas and I sprayed some waterproofer all over it for a little weatherproofing and it seems to hold up just fine.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 26, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That is a pretty correct guess. I lol at all the photo-dorks going to Southeast Asia and asking strategies to not look like a tourist. Newsflash, you're white, people will take you for a tourist anyways. Theft is more about opportunity than window-shopping for the camera-guyiest bag to knick.

Yeah I'm down with this. I walked through LA with a camera in hand wearing a bright green Hartford Whalers shirt and I'm 6'6". Somehow I managed not to attract attention :v:. I think part of it is just not acting like some unaware moron gawking at everything you see. There were other people with very nice Canon and Nikon setups walking around at dark with tripods for long exposures. So long as you're smart about your surroundings, you should be fine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HPL posted:

Look into top-loading holster-style bags like the Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW. If you use a medium-sized lens, you can fit another lens in the bottom of the bag and have the camera on top of it. Or if you're using a 70-200, you can have the camera with that on it in the bag, and attach a side bag for another lens. Think Tank has their digital holster series as well but you'll probably have to buy a belt for that.

Keep in mind that these kind of bags aren't really much smaller than a regular bag since a gripped camera with a 70-200 can only fit in a bag so small. Of course there are smaller models if you're not using a 70-200.

I have that 75AW and it holds my gripped E-30 + 50-200SWD, for what that's worth.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

anabatica posted:

Anyone else here use a wrist strap / hand grip? I would always just wrap the neck strap around my hand until one of my photography buddies pointed out that they existed. I've just got a cheap one and am thinking of upgrading. Anyone got one they love?

I have the Opteka professional grip strap and it's been great. Keep in mind this basically demands you shoot horizontally because getting to portrait orientation can be a little awkward.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ouhei posted:

For those looking for bags, the Crumpler 7 million dollar home is on Amazon right now for ~$100 in either black or grey/red: http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Million-Dollar-Photo-Black/dp/B001TINMRA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1296222194&sr=8-4

About a $40 savings and ships free with Prime. I'm probably going to order it, just doing some last minute size estimating and the like.

Hot drat that is awesome. Are the straps on Crumplers long enough to wear across the opposite shoulder?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RE: Crumpler 7 Million, are they water proof/resistant?

EDIT: Oh it says they're resistant. Awesome :toot:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 28, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

caberham posted:

You can also fit an ipad or a netbook at the front mini pouch of the 7 million.

I'm thinking of going to the states this summer but it has been a while for me. I know that TSA restrictions are a pain and that even a tripod can be considered as a "weapon".

Are carry on dimensions and restrictions strict for air travel? Since I'm only allowed to carry 1 bag, does that mean I can't carry an extra bag of duty free booze or bag? Since some airlines charge for check luggage for domestic flights, am I better off carrying a maximum carry on with my clothes and photo gear? And do I have to do the up in the air dance each time I transfer?

Still worth visiting B&H and trying different bags! And look forward to a China town bus, how are the baggage restrictions?

Carry on restrictions sometimes depend more on the airline than anything. I just flew southwest and they allow "One carry-on and one personal item". For many this meant one small rolling bag (presumably with clothes) and something like a backpack or purse.

I'd carry on all that you can, depending on airline. Southwest gives you your first two checked bags free, which is awesome, but I'd MUCH rather carry photo gear than check it, unless I had some very good padding on my bag. Security seems to give no poo poo about cameras, lenses, and batteries, if Detroit Metro and LAX were anything to go by. I doubt they'll let you take the tripod, however.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My $7mil arrived today. Man you could beat someone to death with this thing. It feels very solid.

It fits my lenses and flash very well, but I'm surprised the secondary pocket doesn't have any setups for dividers, smaller pockets, pen/business card sleeves etc. Small complaints but they seem to be the standard on a lot of other bags. Fits very nicely though and I've already popped on the velcro silencers because good LORD is that loud.

Very well padded, looks quite durable, and water rolls right off it. Overall I'm pretty happy for the money.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A5H posted:

Anyone got a lowepro flipside 400 AW?
Just thinking about pulling the trigger as it's only £60 compared to the £120 messenger back I was interested in previously. £20 cheaper to get the dark green one instead of black too, which seems strange.

Again, I'll need to fit 7D, 70-200 2.8IS, 8-16, 17-50, 50, couple of batteries and a flash. Seems like it would take all that easily.

I handled one and as a backpack they feel nice, but I couldn't get used to that "Swing it around at your waist and open it from the back" thing. Certainly does seem useful and gives you a good surface to work with if you're hiking or out somewhere you can't put a bag down. If you can work with the swing from the hip thing, I'd imagine it's very nice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A5H posted:

Are we thinking of the same one? This is just a normal backpack that you would need to take off to open? http://cambags.com/bag-type/backpacks/lowepro-backpack-bags/item/46-lowepro-flipside-400-aw.html

E: Ah I see, you mean you don't like it being the back that opens? I think it's a neat idea and I'd just remove the pack to get at my gear.

E2: Ordered. Got it down to £50 with vouchers. Made my mind up after seeing I'll fit everything I want plus my macbook. Absolutely ideal!

Oh I think it's a very cool idea. I just couldn't get used to it myself. :shobon:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wow that's bigger than I remember. How big is the secondary pouch?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rorty posted:

Are there any nice canvas or leather style cases other than Billingham bags? I'm looking for something to hold a 550D with the kit lense, preferably a similar size to my LowePro Rezo 120 AW but not black plastic/neoprene. Something I can throw over my shoulder and keep the bag under my arm/on my chest and take my camera out fairly quickly.

This is mostly a vain, aesthetic decision and I'm looking for the retro/classy Billingham style but I'm not too fussed on getting real leather and I don't want to pay £300, and I don't even think they make something the size that I want. Crumpler $3mil in beech/black is nice but something that looks a bit sturdier.

You could find a leather laptop bag/briefcase and get some inserts, but that's about all that's coming to mind.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Are there any camera straps that aren't ugly and utterly utilitarian? Like actually cleverly designed and dare I say "cool" looking camera straps?

I think the Blackrapid RS7 is pretty cool but that's just me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ew. I've seen some that kind of look like guitar straps, one that was like a dookie gold rope but with little bits on the end to attach to a camera. I saw one once that had kind of a rastafarian-style print on it.

Stab in the dark here but is there any way you could retrofit a guitar strap? Like feed a smaller bit of nylon through the loops for those... button things :saddowns: on guitars where they attach?

I know nothing about guitars, I'm just kind of thinking out loud here.

E: SUBX :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

Put split rings through the holes and tighten the strap way down?

That could work. I'd imagine there are also straps for smaller guitars/players that may be better suited for cameras.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

keyframe posted:

I have a black rapid question. Does anyone here wear it with a backpack at the same time? Does it still work fine?

I wore an RS-7 while I had my Lowepro Stealth Reporter 300AW on as well, if you put the backpack on first, then the strap, you should be OK. Guessing the backpack won't let it hang behind you though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm looking for an every day bag. Something small, comfortable and inconspicuous. I shoot micro 4/3, so my gear does not take up a huge amount of space. It needs to carry an iPad, my little Yashica electro gx rangefinder, GH2 with 20mm/1.7 pancake attached, and maybe 2 other lenses (nikon 55 1.2 and leica 90mm 2.8)

I currently lug everything around in an army surplus paratrooper bag like this one but I have to keep everything in separate cases, and it takes forever to just pull out a camera and start shooting. I considered just getting a domke insert for it, but that doesn't provide any weatherproofing, and it's just an unlined cotton canvas bag.

I think the retrospective 10 is probably too big and padded for the stuff I carry. I've been looking at the Domke f803, but I'm concerned that the only place to put the ipad is in the back pocket which has no closure of any kind. Any ideas?

Sporting goods stores sell aerosol cans of waterproofing spray pretty cheap and if nothing else, that should help take care of worries about your current bag.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

How much does that signature stand out? That's a nice bag but that bugs me a little. Maybe it's just me.

E: Whoa there's a crazy looking face on that rain cover :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ouhei posted:

and yeah the face is something...it's apparently Lil' Wayne for some reason?

Holy poo poo that is great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rubbersoul posted:

I got a job at a summer camp in Colorado in the mountains (camp Cheley if anyone knows it) and I need a photo backpack for two bodies, 4 lenses, one strobe, a laptop, and gear for hiking/camping with groups. I've been looking at the Tilopa BC by F-Stop bags, but it's really expensive ($325) however it is an awesome backpack in the true sense of the word. http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/tilopa-bc

Any other recommendations for something cheaper or better suited to my needs?

What size of lenses? Do the bodies have battery grips?What kind of hiking gear? This is a hell of a lot of stuff that's going into one bag.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Elite Taco posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a wrist strap type strap for a DSLR? I find that most of the time the huge neck strap is just in my way. I like the idea of something connecting me to the camera in case I fail a dexterity check, the strap the camera came with is too big.

I've pimped the Opteka Grip Strap a few times here. Worked great for me.

E: Durr opteka, not OPtech

Obama 2012 posted:

Any advice/suggestions?

Better to look weird and make sure your investment stays dry. West Marine has a bunch of different kind of rubbery duffel bags and things that could also fit the bill.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 7, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone try the Lowepro Classified series?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brief review of the Lowepro Slingshot 202AW

I have a couple shoulder bags, but wanted something that held a little more solid to me to go on a hike or go get lost in some woods somewhere. With the secondary strap coming from the right hip up to the strap, the bag holds very secure.

Holds:
E-30 + 50-200mm attached
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Oly 14-54 f/2.8-3.5
Oly 1.6x teleconverter

Up in the upper pocket, a spare battery, rain shield, small moleskine notebook, and I found out I can stuff an XXL windbreaker in there too. Nice.

PROS:
*Upper pocket is bigger than it looks. Elastic strap in there to hold things down.
*AW Cover
*Doesn't move at all when you attach the 2nd strap.
*Functions as a nice support when slung around to the front.
*Sits standing up, apparently the 200 had a bit of a rounded bottom and would fall over if it was set down.
*Microfiber cloth sewn into the main pocket is a great touch.

CONS:
*Not a ton of room. Those of you with the Canon/Nikon 70-200s might not fit. If you have kit-range lenses and a prime or two, you'll be fine.
*Getting at other lenses can be tricky. This seems primarily built to get one camera with an attached lens in and out easily.
*A little awkward to take off.

All in all I like it. It won't be a daily go-to bag but I wanted something that wouldn't shift around if I was out on a hike, and this fits the bill very well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You guys weren't kidding about the $7 million's weatherproofing. Got caught in a downpour at a lacrosse game and it held up great. I was a bit worried about my moleskine in that little pocket near the shoulder strap but it stayed bone dry.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah I never understood the hubbub about rain covers. Fat load of good it'll do ya when you can't get anything out of the bag with it on.

Do wash+respray the crumpler shell when waters stops rolling off of it.

Anything specific I should wash it with or avoid using?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Auditore posted:

Looking for a new strap to supplement/replace my default Canon EOS strap, which folds over and gets in the way of my face when I'm handholdin the camera in portrait mode. I've heard good things about the Blackrapid brand and I'm looking for a decent holding/support system, for doing things like sports events.

I use the Blackrapid RS-7 at football games and I love it. It's crazy how fast/smooth it is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jsmith114 posted:

Thanks for all of the replies. Just when I thought I had decided on the Retrospective 10 I started looking at eBay prices and noticed a bunch of Malaysian sellers listing new Crumpler 7MDH for $65. These guys don't have much positive feedback - this has to be counterfeit or something, right?

Or a scam.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Put the $7 Million Dollar Home through some pretty hefty use this weekend. I was surprised how strong the velcro holds when carried around by the handle. I'd like some smaller pockets or dividers in the accessory pocket, and the real slim side pockets are all but worthless, but you can get a boatload of stuff in the main compartment without a problem, and it's sturdy as hell. I haven't taken it out in the rain but I'm sure it would do fine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Honest question, what are so many of you guys doing that you need your laptops to go with you? That just seems like a ton of extra bulk for most day-to-day shooting.

I suppose I can see it for travelling but that'd be about it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MAkev posted:

Are the R-Straps worth it? I've been looking for a new strap setup, the photographer at the last wedding I went to had one but I didn't get a chance to talk to her about it

Absolutely. I've had the RS-7 for a while and I've loved it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What's everyone's setup for a weekend trip? Any decent all-in-one's, or do you carry cameras and clothing/etc separately? I used to have a Tamrac Adventure 9 (had to leave it when I moved) that worked well for weekends, but it sucked for getting through crowds, and my equipment setup has changed a lot since then.

I've currently got a Slingshot 200 that works really well for the NEX kit + a Hasselblad (or can cram a 4x5 setup in, sans tripod), but it doesn't have enough room to fit extras like clothes, and the top compartment is even too small for a lot of books. I'm also leaning towards moving away from it, because while I like the ergonomics of accessing my gear, it kinda fucks up my back if I've got it fully loaded and am walking around with it for hours, and I can't really change it to the other shoulder.

I like to keep my camera gear separate from my clothing and other stuff when I travel. Most times when I travel I'm only taking a body, 14-54mm lens, and either a prime or a telephoto, and all of that gets into a fairly small bag. This way I can keep my clothes and stuff in another bag either in my car, hotel, or wherever I'm travelling and not have to deal with a huge bag when I'm out shooting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have an RS-7 as well and it's fantastic for sports shooting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

NEX: Lowepro Streamline 100 - I'm going to buy the gently caress out of this online and get it put in my next Package 'o Stuff from the USA (and save 40%), it's awesome for an NEX or m4/3 kit.

That looks like it'd be perfect for my OM-1 and some film.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I got the Lowepro Sport Pack 200 as a birthday gift last month and took it out on a couple hikes over the last few weekends.

This is a hiking bag first and a camera bag second, to be sure. Plenty of space inside for a small first aid kit, small jacket/windbreaker, etc, and the main area does have a small zippered pocket for your spare batteries, lenspen, etc. Between the main section and your back, is a slim area meant to hold a Camelback bladder up to 70 oz, which is a nice touch. Side pocket for larger water bottles too. Straps for your hips are nice, although not very padded.

Camera section is in the lower 'half' of the bag, and it's not very large. It's pretty clear this was intended for your body, kit lens, and maybe an ultra-wide or prime. My 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 will fit, but only by itself and drat sure not with the hood on it. That had to go separately up in the main pocket, which I wasn't thrilled about. That said, I didn't find much of a need for the lens anyways, but I suppose that would vary based on what you want to shoot and where you're hiking. Any hotshoe flash would easily fit in there in place of the extra lens. While the capacity for camera gear isn't very large, it is well padded.

Access to the camera compartment is along your left-hand side (water bottle holder is on the right). It takes a little getting used to since the sling bag and my shoulder bags always are access off my right, but it's not bad.

The straps don't have a ton of padding but if you're hiking anyways you'd want to be light as it is. The back is well padded and has a good channel along your spine to keep you from sweating it up. There is an AW cover, but the bag itself seems perfectly fine in rain or snow. There are also straps underneath that could hold a smaller tripod, or rolled up sleeping pad.

All in all I like it. I have a Slingshot 202 if I wanted to carry more camera gear than hiking stuff, but to go get lost along a 10-15 mile trail with a light loadout, this does a really nice job. It's not an every day carry bag by any means, but it's not built for that purpose. I'll post some pictures of it when I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I'm looking for a small camera backpack that can take a Canon Rebel T2i with battery grip, a 70-200 f4L and a 1.4x Teleconverter. I think the battery grip is going to be the hardest one, as most of the backpacks I've seen are designed for non-gripped bodies. Obviously, the easiest way would be to go to a store, but there really isn't a big selection where I live. Anyone have any recommendations?

It's a slingbag, but my Lowepro Slingshot 202 will hold my gripped E-30 and E-5, although just barely.

• Locked thread