Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

The equip I use:

Think Tank

I'm a big fan of Think Tank, they're very well designed and don't look hideous. I have the Airport Antidote Version 2, and I have pleeeenty of space (5D, 24-105, 24, 50, 85, flash, other random equip, and I still have extra room). I use it for my event bag, so that I can easily keep everything on my back. The laptop compartment is really nice and useful, it has it's own strap and separates. Expensive though.

Pelican

I use a pelican 1520, as my hard case, for shoots and fashion shows. Pros: Makes a good chair, it'll survive anything, could kill someone easily. Cons: heavy, wish I had gotten one with wheels. Carries all of my gear quite comfortably, but I don't have as much extra space as with the Think Tank.

Other:

Lowepro

I have a couple of Lowepro bags, one is a small toploader, the other is a medium sized rectangle-type shoulder bag. I'm not a big fan of either. They don't keep their structure well and crumple easy. They're also pretty ugly, and I feel they don't look as professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, the only time I've seen that look okay is on a wedding photographer, where people expect you to be decked out with gear, the more the better. I would laugh at anyone at an event or just walking around with that on.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Any suggestions for carrying: hasselblad, prism viewfinder, 2 backs, Polaroid back, pistol grips, film + odds and ends?
It doesn't require that much space but I don't want them rubbing against each other or carry a huge bag with too many divisions. I don't ever carry it long (yay assistants-sherpas) so it doesn't need to be super ergonomic but I do like bags to look nice and be somewhat accessible. Right now I'm just using a square lowepro bag and it's giving under all the weight and hard edges.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Is the streetwalker comfortable? It always seemed kind of big to me, and I'm a 5'1" person, so large backpacks look comical on me.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Some really crappy one, Rozo something AW. I thought about trying the Katas too, but if the Streetwalker's not too big, I might give that a try, since I'm pretty much a thinktank fanboy already.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

KickStand posted:

Question for guys with strobes, what cases do you recommend for 2or 3 alien bees, and a vegabond mini? Extra rom for reflectors and possibly an umbrella or two would be nice but I can make due without. Ease of movement (wheels and a handle) is important.
Big ol' pelican case. Keeps things super safe and you don't have to worry about them at all that way. Get one with wheels and you could bungee cord extra stuff on top of it too.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm going to put in a plug for my Thinktank sling-o-matic 10, because it's awesome. I picked it up a bit ago as a gig bag, and it's the perfect size for a body+lens, extra lens, flash+modifier, odds and ends. It looks very nice and professional, as are all thinktank bags, and I like that it's a sling bag that can switch shoulders. It also slings down sideways for ease of access. If you don't know already, Thinktank makes very solid bags that are well worth their price.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

For people who don't want to pay quite as much for the R-strap, there's this C-loop thing now, where you can attach a regular camera strap to a little rotating metal thing: http://www.customslr.com/products/c-loop/?utm_source=PetaPixel&utm_medium=125banner&utm_campaign=CLoop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

It's 40 bucks, why not just get a tripod plate with a D ring?
Some people may not want to DIY and like having different straps? I use an R strap anyways, I happily used the R-1 til they gave me the female one to test, which is great for women by the way. It sits much better across the chest. I've tried the later R-straps but I actually don't like the pockets, they're bulky.

• Locked thread