Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Thinking about selling off my 2 Crumpler bags. One barely used, the other in LN condition. One is the 7mil in forest green, the other is a Brazillion in black/orange. What is the resale value on these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Anyone have a backpacking solution to taking gear? I probably wont have space for much other than a single body, one lens, and my x100. Its a 3-4 day trip. The x100 could live around my neck and I might end up wrapping my d700 and lens in a towel and storing it in my backpack.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

powderific posted:

For backpacking, you might also pick up a camera holster of some kind and strap that to your pack or harness somewhere if you want to be able to get at it easier.

Was gonna hook the X100 to the front shoulder strap, and ill probably just wrap the DSLR in some foam and pack it in my sleeping bag. Never thought of that. Thanks!

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
This trip is a planned photo trip, so I probably wont leave the D700 out.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I have a Chrome messenger bag and I am thinking about making a sleeve for it that will hold a camera bag insert and attach to existing velcro inside the messenger. Is there a preferred camera bag insert company to look for? I looked up some Domke inserts and it was suggested that they have subpar padding.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-Photo-Insert-ProDigital-Messenger/dp/B001120WQ8

Is what i use. Domke inserts are actually pretty good, but I was given these as a gift.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

rcman50166 posted:

I'm sort of a gearfag when it comes to this. I'm a pretty firm believer that you are only as good as the best camera you have on you. If I can't carry all of my stuff with me, it's time to get a larger bag. Right now I have a Kata 3n1-30. However I'm starting to reach the breaking point as I start getting serious with portraiture and buying a billion lights and accessories. I will learn. I must learn.

Use of gearfag term generally gets you a bag of dicks avatar. Its probably in the queue now.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I currently have a Thinktank Retro 10 that used to be home for a D600, grip, 24-70, and a few primes. Now its home to an XE1 with 18-55, Nikkor 135 DC, 50mm, and possibly a 24mm prime. The problem? Its too big. I was thinking about trading down to a Thinktank Retro 5 but that may also be too big.

Anyone got any recommendations? I prefer the style of the thinktank retro bags.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

A friend just told me about Mindshift Gear Rotation 180: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/134466492/rotation180-photo-backpack

http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2013/04/05/mindshift-gears-new-rotation-180-pro-full-review/

Mind. Blown. No idea about price or availability though.

Edit: holy crap I think I stick with normal gear: "Rotation 180 Pro – $389.99"

I just cant stop hatin on this bag. It looks horrible for back country use. Maybe they would loan me one for a review since I have about 200miles of PCT to cover this summer. Just kidding, that looks like it wouldn't make it 10 miles before it got uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Haggins posted:

That F-Stop stuff looks pretty cool. I've been searching for a good backpack/photobag to do a hike in/hike out overnight camping trip.

Do you bring camera gear? What do you use?

Last summer I tossed a D700 and 24-70 along with an x100 into my bag. Wrapped the d700 and lens in their own separate home made wrap and hung the x100 from my front pack-strap without hassle. That was on top of 8 days of food/gear. This year will be an Xe1 and 18-55mm lens only. Using the same travel friendly carbon-fiber tripod that packs down to 17 inches.

My current pack is a Kelty redcloud 110.

Musket fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 20, 2013

• Locked thread