Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone seen/used a Lowepro whistler in person? It ticks all the right boxes for me looking at it online, but it's inconclusive which size to get. Some people say the smaller one fits a body+super tele just fine, and someone else claims it can barely fit a body and canon's 70-200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got the Dakine Sequence 33L over the summer and loving love it as a day hike pack.. the straps on it are miracle territory because it feels weightless with it loaded on your back. It can hold my Tamron 150-600 attached to the body, along with my smaller lenses (10-20, 18-55, 70-200). There's even some room left for my filters.

The backpack design seems weird at first (access to the interior is via a zipper on the panel that rests against your back) but it makes some sense after you get into using it.. you can drop the bag on the ground and get to your stuff without getting dirt all over the parts that touch your body. It doesn't technically have a way to carry a full size tripod, but it's not hard to use the snowboard straps to come up with a usable setup.

Added bonus is the camera compartment is held in with velcro and is easily removable, which means you can stuff your clothes into the backpack and check it in for an flight and bring your camera as carry-on. Then you get to your destination and stuff all your clothes into a drawer at the hotel and use the bag for hauling your camera.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, the newest one lacks that. It does have a slot on one side that I think was designed for a tripod, it's a little tube of material with a hole at the top and bottom. I use a seal clubbing manfrotto tripod though and there's no way it would fit in there. So I lash it to the middle with some nylon straps and it's fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm fine with it.. the snowboard straps are beefy and are well suited to holding a tripod. Only needed to scrounge up some extra clips.

It's vastly more comfortable than any lowepro bag I've demoed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Depending on how you travel, look at the dakine photo pack. The photography compartment can be removed entirely which I really dig. You put a week's worth of clothes into the hole, toss it in as checked baggage and take all your camera gear in as carryon. Check into hotel, dump your clothes in a drawer and boom you got a sweet day pack for hiking with your camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If all you care about is making holes into not holes, pick up a Speedy Stitcher off amazon, it's pretty good for "never sewed anything in my life" types and after watching one or two youtube videos you should be able to close up any holes you can imagine.

I prefer the smaller thread you can get for it, the thick stuff is more for "loose" canvas that is easy to push a large needle through. But either way it uses waxed polyester thread which is pretty durable and you can heat shrink it a little bit too. If you want that "fixed it myself!!" look it's perfect.

• Locked thread