Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
http://nemeng.com/leica/015e.shtml is a handy guide for gear

I use to think the ladies too crazy about carrying different purses and bags but now I understand :doh: Different bags for different situations:toot: First of all, I was a crumpler fan boy. I have a industrial disgrace strap (nice) 5 million, (decent) 7 million, (nice) keystone (clunky) and bought quite a few 5 millions and straps for my friends as a welcome gift.

Yes their backpacks suck but all crumpler products are water resistant. It's not waterproof by all means but the bulkier outer shell offers good protection and it kept all my gear dry when I was in biking for 5 hours in heavy rain. The interior became slightly damp but my gear was dry nonetheless. I think if I added an additional rain cover I could have been fine for a longer duration.

But only get the crumpler for 6 million and above because the smaller sizes don't come with a shoulder strap. 6 million is a bigger size than usual but can fit a body + lens and 1 more lense with speed lite. 7 million is a bit too big but can carry a lot of stuff. Full load 8 million is just too big and will cause uneven loads and sore shoulders in no time

In the canon thread there were ridiculous pictures of this guy wearing a photovest

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathaninsandiego/4634788888/

I find it ironic that being a photographer should allow you to appreciate form, colour, composition and beauty yet the guys just dresses monotone. heck even his reversed ball cap is still khaki. I know photo vests can look very tacky but if I don't stuff all the pockets and dress normal with a pair of jeans and a half collared shirt I should be fine right?

Which one would you goons pick? the more discreet http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/New_Travel_Vest.shtml or the billingham http://www.billingham.co.uk/acatalog/Photovest.html

antimatter posted:

I'll be going to Shanghai China this Sept, and I have this following gear:

1) Canon 50D
2) Kit Lens 18-200 mm
3) 4x CF waterproof case
4) 2x or more Canon Battery

All the brands and shoulder bags mentioned in the thread are pretty good. A 50D coupled with 1 lens is not much weight at all. The cards and batteries don't occupy much space and use the side pockets. I recently went bag shopping with a friend and I would recommend you the kata DB 455. It's a detachable satchel and has a shoulder pad.

Keep the bag close to you at all times and theft should not be a problem in Shanghai or most of China. In fact with the rising number of nouveau rich Chinese and the association of new camera gear = wealth, lots of them have 5DIIs and L glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So I've had this Crumpler strap for a while and it's really comfortable but it's really big and unwieldy and it's pretty much impossible to take off/put on quickly, so I was wanting to switch to a single point system. I liked the concept behind the Black Rapid but it felt kinda overpriced. So I went and bought the Black Rapid fastening loop and then an actual rifle sling. I only ended up saving like $10, but I'd trust a sling designed to keep you alive rather than one just designed for cameras.

I've had the loop for a few days but the sling just got here today. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but it feels really secure and going from hip to shooting position doesn't feel restricted or awkward at all. The sling also has a fabric cover for the metal hook so it doesn't bang against the body, which the actual BR strap does not.

Nice can you post pictures? I find the crumpler strap a bit unweildy too and just kind of let it droop out of the bag all the time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Gambl0r posted:

Awesome video of Kata backpack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxMYmLrVYrg

Nice, everything just fits and you can add a spacer to fit 2 lenses in 1 compartment. Better than my crumpler keystone.

tijag posted:

What backpack would you recommend then?

Keep in mind it's either having a really sweaty back or uncomfortable wobbly shoulders when your gear is heavy. Sometimes I just want to bring a point and shoot or get a NEX...

geeves posted:

What's a decent shoulder bag for walking around Europe without broadcasting that "I have a lot of money invested in the contents of my bag"? Perhaps something that can also carry a 13in MacBook?

Only thing I can think of is a military surplus duffel bag or something really ordinary looking. Crumpler, Timbuk2, non lowe pro use to be low profile but nowadays any brand name messenger shoulder bag designed for camera comfort is a big give away for more camera gear if you are walking around with a non kit lens + semi pro body. Maybe I'm over thinking a bit too much but even the most basic consumer slr is worthwhile to a thief and attracts attention :(

unless you carry a Leica because it just looks just like a point and shoot!

caberham fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 25, 2010

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Klogdor posted:

So has anyone bumped into the National Geographic line of messenger bags/backpacks ? I kind of want http://www.adorama.com/NGSBM.html <- that one, but I'm not sure if they are crap or not. need to carry a smallsh body, 3 lenses, and some small extras.. oh , and a netbook. any opinions ?

At least it's not a billingham :science: Most bags are not weather proof but I have first hand experience that Crumpler and Tamrac (suspect Lowepro too) are weather resistant in heavy rain. Water won't seep in but does a good job of keeping the compartment relatively dry and safe because of it's thick padding. Not so sure about the NG. I did see a few people getting the fake China Knock offs, instead of a yellow square, it's a triangle.

benisntfunny posted:

I've always found backpacks to be a pain in the rear end. I had a few LowePro ones that I was never overly happy with. I felt like the weight distribution was semi awkward on those models. With my 7 Million Dollar home I can easily get to my gear and at times have used the bag to rest things on top of it while I'm switching out lenses.

Edit: Backpacks are also hot as gently caress and make my back sweaty.

Definitely agree. And during holidays a sweaty back will make you go through your shirts faster. But a full load messenger bag with a shortened strap can get pretty heavy and uncomfortable :smith: But how do you fit a tripod onto a 7 million dollar home? Backpacks have convenient tripod holders.

I have a question for all you bag lovers! I'm going on a 3 week trip across South East Asia carrying a 50D, film body and an assortment of 1 telephoto, 2 primes, 2 zooms, a laptop, speedlite, and maybe a tripod. I will probably stash a few lenses into the room and have stuff on rotation depending on location.

Would you guys go for a 7 million dollar home or a Kata 31N?

caberham fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 26, 2010

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for everyone's input! I got myself a Kata 31N-33 today. I tried 2 versions, with laptop or without laptop holder. I'm going to dump my Crumpler keystone. It does look nicer and have more comfortable straps but the Kata has hooks and placement for a tripod holder.

I can go in all in with my lenses with their hoods and 2 speedlites too! 9Kg though, which is 2 over the hand carry 7 kg limit :smith: Normally airlines don't really check for hand carry and even allow extra duty free bags but this time I'm flying a budget airline. Should I risk it or just pad one of my film bodies, 70-200 and put it into the check in backpack?

All in all, I'm initially very impressed with the Kata 31N-33, but hopefully the smaller straps won't dig in too much over long periods of time. The sling is not as good as the non laptop version (too wide) and carrying it as a sling is too unwieldy for full load. Anyways, picture time!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can also fit an ipad or a netbook at the front mini pouch of the 7 million.

I'm thinking of going to the states this summer but it has been a while for me. I know that TSA restrictions are a pain and that even a tripod can be considered as a "weapon".

Are carry on dimensions and restrictions strict for air travel? Since I'm only allowed to carry 1 bag, does that mean I can't carry an extra bag of duty free booze or bag? Since some airlines charge for check luggage for domestic flights, am I better off carrying a maximum carry on with my clothes and photo gear? And do I have to do the up in the air dance each time I transfer?

Still worth visiting B&H and trying different bags! And look forward to a China town bus, how are the baggage restrictions?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ricepaddydaddy posted:

Any recommendations for a slim shoulder bag that would take, at most a 50D plus a 17-55mm f2.8? I have a shoulder bag that can fit that, as well as nearly every other lens. I just need something I can take down the street to force myself to take photos everyday!

I use to opt for a bright coloured 5 million crumpler. But nowadays I would recommend the Kata DC 435. If you want something light there is a billingham.

But they are more for XXXD, leicas and point and shoot. The 50D protrudes a tad too much :(

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Hypnolobster posted:

I've got a crumpler industry disgrace strap (which is fantastic, although I might toss it in the washer a couple times so the whole thing softens up)

In 2 years I have not washed my industry disgrace. The multi tone grey camo print is becoming a monotone of dirt. Maybe I should call my strap the goon hygiene disgrace :barf:

A5H posted:

:pcgaming:pink babe camo :pcgaming:

Oh yes :hfive: I also wish you can take your lenses to some professional and do a custom paint job/decals on all your gear. Limited edition Bapesta telezooms with crazy camera colours!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The thing is, camera bags are like purses. It's normal to have more than 7 million, 5 million, Kata back pack, a billingham (I know, I know).

I think I ended up with the 7 million dollar home and use it more like an everyday brief case with a camera. Guess I don't use my camera as often as I should.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Suggestions for a small backpack that doesn't scream I HAVE A CAMERA PLEASE MUG ME?

I want to take my camera on a day hike in a touristy area and I think a messenger bag/sling type would get annoying flopping around at my side (unless someone can suggest a sling that isn't floppy). I just got my first DSLR so I don't have too much stuff to put in it, just the body and a couple lenses.

If you carry a Leica and a Billingham then you might get mugged. Otherwise no one really cares about your "DSLR".

The Kata slings aren't floppy but their recent product lineup is ho-hum. Manfrotto makes decent slings but their shoulder straps suck. Guess I'm just used to messenger bags and shortening the strap.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

Maybe consider a camera pouch like the Crumpler Haven? Fits in most backpacks.

Pouches are pretty rad. If you are going on back packing trips and trying to go with 1-bag travel, then use pouches to stash your gear for longer trips. Separating the body from the lens saves you so much more packing space.

Rot posted:

Honestly, in my experiences from South America to sketchy big city North American neighbourhoods to weird communities up north, this has proven true more often than not.

Consider convenient ways to carry your stuff, first and foremost. You should probably have your camera out and ready to shoot and in that case everyone knows you have pricey camera poo poo.

Same goes for putting gaff over the Canon or Nikon logos, imo.

Pretty much, but the tape is great when people like to comment on your camera model. A 5D? WHAT? YOU KNOW THE 5D3 IS ALREADY OUT? OMG A 1DX WOW YOU HAVE SO MUCH MONEY! OH YOU SHOOT CANON? WELL YOU KNOW NIKONS ARE BETTER FOR PORTRAITS :suicide: gently caress those guys, they don't even grip the cameras properly and squint their eyes going through the viewfinder or keep the autofocus beep on.

quote:

I go through bags like crazy...I'm never happy with them. For straight up camera transport in an urban environment and on my bike, I haven't found a better combo than the F-Stop ICUs I mentioned earlier and a real bike messenger bag left over from when I was an actual bike messenger (PAC Designs, for anyone interested).

For anything else it's Think Tank Retrospectives (or Urban Disguises if I'm moving through airports).

Edit: I should say, that I only use the ICU and regular backpack combo when I'm doing something like backcountry skiing or mountain biking or hiking or whatever. In these cases, carrying essential stuff is more important than comfortably carrying my camera nonsense. I've tried a couple "adventure" oriented bags (but not F-Stop because I can't seem to buy one) and they've all fallen short either in the camera-carry department or the backpack department.

Hey bag hater lover :hfive: Those F-stops ICUs look super awesome, if only they have a messenger bag option then my back packing trips would be awesome. Funny enough, nowadays I just rent a car or take more time resting so I don't care about being too mobile.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Somehow, I have an irrational dislike of Lowepro bags and users. Same goes for Manfrotto and Think-tank. I don't know why :ohdear:

https://vimeo.com/54027710

Looks pretty awesome, I like how they aren't padded too much so they don't get too bulky.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cool, the Loka looks fun. I got an Osprey 48L top loading and it's more of a camping backpack but it does have an awesome water bladder pouch. I might spring for a Loka and get an ICU. It beats all my other carry on, or my Osprey 60L. But any tripod holders for F-stop bags? If I can strap a tripod on, it would be perfect.

I got to mostly hot humid tropical places, so most of my weight is in camera gear and souvenirs (food).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just looked at the Urban reporter, I do like it's innards. The different zippers and sub pouches look really clean. Much better than the older crumplers. Now if only I can change the logo into something else!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

carry the camera around my neck.

Shoulder man, shoulder!

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 11, 2015

• Locked thread