Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Does anyone know a site where you can see pictures of cases being held by people so you can see how big they are when carrying? I've got a Slingshot 302 that's way the gently caress too big for the amount of equipment I have, and also it will only go over your right should which is really unintuitive for me. I'm looking at the Stealh Reporter 200 or 300 but I can't decide which I'd rather have. I've only got a 7D with grip, a 50mm, 17-50, and 70-300 which is relatively short for it's focal length. I think I could probably go with a 200, but I'd really like to see how it balances against my body. I guess I could try to find a local store that has them.

And could someone explain how the BlackRapid thing works? I really like the concept but I'm terrified that the thing is going to fall. I've been reading reviews and I've seen a handfull of people with ones that ended up dropping. What's that FastenR thing and what are the logistics of it? Does anyone have a link that would better explain this? Google is just finding me reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

I have the Stealth Reporter 300AW and I'd be happy to take some pictures of it on me tonight if you like. That is currently holding:

I would love you forever.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

Awesomeness

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So after some thinking I decided that I definitely want the messenger style but I'd like something a little more discrete than the typical big black nylon bag. I really like the look of the jill-e jack bag:

But I don't really give a poo poo if it's real leather or faux leather so paying $200+ seems silly. My favorite part of the bag is that it doesn't appear to have any sort of branding on it. Does anyone know of anything similar to this in a lower price range?

I've also toyed with the idea of buying a plain messenger and then putting one of those Tenba or Domke inserts in. Anyone have any experience with those?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I ended up swinging the jill-e Jack bag for my birthday/Christmas (yay free stuff).

It's super classy, really well padded and it holds a ton of stuff. The shoulder strap is a little short, though. There was a review on amazon complaining about the shoulder strap but he had this huge long review describing how he bought it to take to DragonCon because it would match his Mal from Firefly costume (that was the main guy's name right?) and he admitted that he was a "bigger guy" so I kind of dismissed the complaints as coming from a whale of a man but I'm a pretty small guy and even I wish the strap had 4-5 more inches on it. It's not a deal breaker, I like to wear messenger bags more on my hip than on my waist, but oh well.

Other than that I couldn't be happier with it. If anyone is at all interested in pictures of it I'd be happy to oblige.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I've had this Crumpler strap for a while and it's really comfortable but it's really big and unwieldy and it's pretty much impossible to take off/put on quickly, so I was wanting to switch to a single point system. I liked the concept behind the Black Rapid but it felt kinda overpriced. So I went and bought the Black Rapid fastening loop and then an actual rifle sling. I only ended up saving like $10, but I'd trust a sling designed to keep you alive rather than one just designed for cameras.

I've had the loop for a few days but the sling just got here today. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but it feels really secure and going from hip to shooting position doesn't feel restricted or awkward at all. The sling also has a fabric cover for the metal hook so it doesn't bang against the body, which the actual BR strap does not.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

caberham posted:

Nice can you post pictures? I find the crumpler strap a bit unweildy too and just kind of let it droop out of the bag all the time.

I wore the strap around a convention hall today for about three hours with no problems whatsoever. It's comfortable, feels perfectly secure, and doesn't get in the way at all. I'll post some pictures tomorrow (or later today, depending on how you look at it).

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Here are the pictures I promised.

Hanging:

Click here for the full 1575x1050 image.

Landscape:

Click here for the full 1575x1050 image.

Portrait:

Click here for the full 742x1050 image.

So this is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Command-Arms-Tactical-Sling-Point/dp/B0017XLRK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1289789741&sr=8-1

Combined with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Rapid-FastenR-3-Generation-R-Strap/dp/B003LA595M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1289789782&sr=8-1-catcorr

Now as you might notice, the bottom point can sort of get in the way if you've got the battery grip with the portrait shutter button. It's so low profile that it's not a real hindrance, though.

Another thing that differentiates this from the actual BR strap is that the ends of the strap that buckle onto the camera are elastic bungees. You're probably not going to be doing enough bouncing that this really matters, but it does make it feel like your camera is safer. Also the hook that connects to the camera has a cover so that it doesn't bang against the camera body and scratch it up. I'm not sure if the RS-7 comes with the FastenR-3 yet, but it definitely seems safer having a single solid piece than the separate ring of the FastenR-2, and if it doesn't come stock then that's another $15 you have to pay on top of the cost of the basic strap.

Long story short, the Black Rapid strap was designed to hold cameras. This strap was designed to hold an assault rifle. If this thing fails, then your gun is going to the ground and you're probably hosed. I haven't gotten to hold the BR straps in person, so I can't make a quality comparison, but just based on their purpose and the more thoughtful design of the rifle strap (hook cover, bungee), the fact that it's cheaper makes it a no-brainer to me.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

tijag posted:

It seems like making lens changes, or putting the camera away in the bag would be easier to do with a shoulder bag,

You would think so, but no, not really. Also they make a lot of backpacks designed to swoop around your body to pull gear out of quickly.

Personally I always try to find something to set my stuff down on to change lenses because trying to juggle several hundred to several thousand dollars in my hands to save maybe 60 seconds feels pretty stupid.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

tijag posted:

What backpack would you recommend then?

I bought a $300 leather camera bag because I take my camera pretty much every time I leave my house and I wanted something that A) doesn't look like a camera bag, and B) doesn't look tacky with a suit. I love the bag but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else unless you had similar needs or you really, really care about how your bag looks and money is no object.

When I was shopping around, I found people loyal to every possible well-established brand you can name. This led me to believe that once you've figured out what size you need to hold all your gear, the biggest difference between brands is price and aesthetic appeal. If you're expecting someone to name THE bag that absolutely is head and shoulders above all others then I think you're looking for something that doesn't exist. My recommendation is to figure out what size you need, then pick the bag you think looks the best that is also within your budget.

Every brand offers shoulder and backpack style bags so just pick which one you like best. A backpack is always going to be more comfortable at higher weights, and if I wasn't worried about being "that guy with the backpack" that's what I'd buy. But I am vain and I think shoulder bags make you look less dorky and so I try to stick with those. I do have a backpack for if I ever go hiking in the wilderness or whatever, but if I'm shooting in the city or at a club or wherever then I'm going shoulder bag. It all depends on what you value the most personally.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

how much can you fit in it?

There's a video on the site showing the guy who designed it stuffing it with poo poo.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Does anyone know of a bag that's designed to only hold like a camera and 1-2 lenses, but is wide enough to fit a camera with a grip? All of the small bags seem to ignore anyone using a grip. I love my big huge leather manpurse bag for carrying to places where I need a full set of gear, but if I just want to go downtown and walk around, it's a big unnecessary and I'd like something like one of the little Domke bags except with a little more width so it will fit a grip. Does anyone know of any bags like that?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HPL posted:

Look into top-loading holster-style bags like the Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW. If you use a medium-sized lens, you can fit another lens in the bottom of the bag and have the camera on top of it. Or if you're using a 70-200, you can have the camera with that on it in the bag, and attach a side bag for another lens. Think Tank has their digital holster series as well but you'll probably have to buy a belt for that.

Keep in mind that these kind of bags aren't really much smaller than a regular bag since a gripped camera with a 70-200 can only fit in a bag so small. Of course there are smaller models if you're not using a 70-200.

I still kinda want a satchel/shoulder bag. A holster is like the fanny pack of the camera world. Yeah, it would suit my purposes, but I have to keep some sense of style. :(

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Does anyone know if a 7D with a grip will fit in a Retrospective 10 comfortably?

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 10, 2011

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

torgeaux posted:

I have a 5dii w/grip, and it fits snugly in my Retrospective 10.

Awesome, thanks!

And on that note, anyone know if the Ona bag can fit a camera with a grip? Doesn't look like it but then neither does the Retrospective.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 11, 2011

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

Huh? I have a gripped D700 in my retrospective 20 right now.

Yeah, I was saying that it doesn't look like it would fit but someone posted like five posts back that it does so I was wondering if the Ona was the same situation.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Would someone explain the appeal of the Billingham bags? They look like something a wealthy old woman would carry around to me. Which is a style and all, but still. Now the Ona, that's a sexy bag.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

[*]It won't really fit a gripped camera with a lens attached. You'll have to remove either the grip or the lens.

Noooooooooo. Well, actually that saves me about $200. Yay.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

You might be able to reconfigure it to fit like a gripped Rebel with a nifty fifty, but there's no way in hell my gripped 7D fits with the EF-S 17-55 attached.

Yeah, I've got a gripped 7D too. drat, I really like that bag, but the whole reason I was looking to get a second bag was for a smaller one for when I don't need a ton of gear and just want to go downtown or something. Having to take off my grip and switch the battery or fiddle with lenses any time I take it in or out of the bag would pretty much defeat the purpose of a smaller, more convenient set-up. Looks like I'll stick with the Retrospective 10.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

God dammit. I know I'm going to buy one eventually.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

orenji posted:

Mybe I'm a bit more pedantic about this kind of stuff. My bag actually rubbed a hole in one pair of jeans, and then made another pair look ridiculous - normal, all except for where the bag rubbed, which looked a different color. Has anyone had any success softening these bags up? They look cool, and do a great job, but I want my pants to remain in tact!

Buy less lovely jeans or buy a leather bag (if you don't already have one). Seriously, I carry my bag everywhere and it's never worn a hole in my jeans or even left a rubbing area, and I hang it as low as possible so nearly the whole thing rides on my thigh. Also if you're buying super expensive jeans, buy more quality brands because a lot of $200 fashion jeans are paper thin garbage with a brand.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I'll sell you my brown one. I just don't use it enough.

Where were you four months ago when I shelled out $300 for one?! Oh, right, selling me your computer.

Oh well, I love that loving bag and so does everyone that sees it. I have to put my gripped camera in without lenses on, but it's really not as big of a hassle as I thought it would be and I've gotten good at changing poo poo in the air. I easily fit a 2.8IS in it. Yeah it takes a whole side, but it fit just fine. I've taken that bag to several events and worn it for 8+ hours and other than a little stiffness the next day, it never bugged me at all. It's also sexy as hell. Everyone buy one. No, wait, don't. That would make mine less special.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

These are old posts, but...

Drewski posted:

My camera isn't gripped, but even if it was you could fit it in because the dividers are velcroed to the interior, so you can move them around as you desire.

This is not true. I have the Union Street and a 7D, and if it's gripped the only way it's going to fit is placed bottom down without a lens. It's still an amazing bag and having to add/remove the lens when you take it out isn't a huge deal for me, but if you want fast access to a lensed camera, get another bag.

nonanone posted:

For people who don't want to pay quite as much for the R-strap, there's this C-loop thing now, where you can attach a regular camera strap to a little rotating metal thing: http://www.customslr.com/products/c-loop/?utm_source=PetaPixel&utm_medium=125banner&utm_campaign=CLoop

Black Rapid has sold the little metal attachment by itself for $15 for over a year. I got that and an assault rifle strap for like $25 and it's functionally the same for nearly half the cost. The only thing it doesn't have is the little cross stabilizer strap, which I think is an extra charge anyway.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

As Sevn said though, a gripped camera completely changes the layout of a lot of bags. I adored my ONA Union Street and still think it's the best looking camera bag on the market, but I just couldn't get it to work with a gripped body which I couldn't give up.

The only way it works is if you keep lenses off when it's in the bag, which is a sacrifice but it hasn't been a huge pain.

Creepy Goat posted:

Really dig the ONA bag, but 50/50 at the moment between it and the Billingham bags.

Don't know if it looks too much like a handbag though :ohdear:

I will never understand people who find the Billingham bags aesthetically appealing. They look like old lady purses.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

I saw a few people here talking about getting budget knock off Black Rapids- how do they hold up? I'll gladly save up if there's a big difference in quality but I'm working on a budget and I don't really have any heavy lenses.

It's not so much a knock-off as the thing that Black Rapid was inspired by before selling it as a camera specific strap at a huge mark-up. First, I would say buy the BR ring that attaches the strap to the camera because that is a part that they've genuinely got down and you're not going to find anything comparable for cheaper. The strap itself, though, is easily found cheaper.

I can't find the exact strap I have on amazon anymore, but it's just a basic rifle sling and there are a ton of alternative options in the $15-25 price range. I've used it with a gripped 7D with a 70-200 2.8 and a 580EXII on top with no issues. As to how well it holds up? It's designed to keep a rifle at someone's side. If it doesn't hold up then that person is dead. How well do you think it holds up?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

signalnoise posted:

How do you guys store all your stuff that you aren't taking with you at the moment? A case?

I currently have several lenses in a pile on my bedroom floor. That's probably safe.

I have most of my lighting gear in one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/522969-REG/Photoflex_FV_SLBAG2KIT_Transpac_Dual_Kit_Case.html

It won't hold my ringflash though because it's not wide enough. If you ever want a travel bag for gear that will hold a ton of poo poo and not be as crazy expensive as Pelican stuff, I highly recommend it.

Also anyone looking at a Billingham bag just buy an Ona instead. It's about half the price, doesn't look like an overnight bag for men over 50, and it's durable as hell. I have absolutely beaten the poo poo out of mine for over a year (I take it EVERYWHERE, including on hikes, mountain climbing, to work every day, etc) and it hasn't begun to fray or fall apart at all. If Indiana Jones has a camera, he would totally use this bag.

The only part of it that sucks is you basically have to choose between a gripped body or always taking your lenses off before putting them in the bag. I chose the gripped body.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

torgeaux posted:

i carry my gripped 5diii with 24-105 plus hood in my billingham, no problem.

The only problem is it's hideous.

Also I imagine a bag big enough to hold that is really bulky and obnoxious to carry around. I have a bigger shoulder strap camera bag that could hold a telephoto with the grip on easily, but it's annoying to use for anything but carrying poo poo to a fixed location to shoot. With the Ona I can walk around the city all day and never feel like it's in my way or dragging on my shoulder. It's basically a laptop bag outfitted for a camera.

I keep my camera out on a shoulder strap for the entire time I'm shooting, though. I know people who keep it in their bag and only pull it out when they're ready to take a shot, and my set-up would not work for them at all.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 25, 2012

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

bobfather posted:

and because numerous reviews I read about the Ona stated that it developed significant wear and tear after only a couple years of use

The bag hasn't even been on the market for two years. Also I find that hard to believe considering I take considerably worse care than I imagine most people would with a $300 bag and mine hasn't worn at all. In a couple years? Yeah, it might fall apart, and I have no doubts that the Billingham is probably made with higher quality materials since ONA primarily seems to be a "fashion" camera bag maker.

As you said, different strokes. And aesthetics is probably the last thing most people look at when picking out camera gear.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Just impulse bought the SpiderPro. Hope it is worth it, anyone here have any experience with it?

I've worked with several people who use them and they seem to put strain on your back and make you look like a huge loving dork. Use a shoulder strap like a normal person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

RangerScum posted:

I have one of these too, and it's a great bag, but jesus christ the strap is so horrible. I need to get some aftermarket thing to improve it. drat shame I can't just remove it.

What do you dislike about it? I've had one for like two years and never had troubles with the strap. I wish the bag was like a couple inches bigger inside, though.

• Locked thread