Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone have much experience with Roots bags? Seeing quite a few on CL and seem to have decent build quality. I'm looking specifically for a backpack-style bag, preferably full-size, and most of the other bags in the sub-$100 price range on CL I'm seeing from Lowepro or Tamrac are 3/4 backpack style or sling-style which I don't really want. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Here is the craigslist ad, the roots bag is in the bottom right of the photos, he's asking $50 which seems like a pretty good deal.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

As I've been picking up more lenses for the Pentax 6x7 I decided to look for a bag for it so I can bring everything when i go shooting. Picked up an old Billingham 550 (25-30 years old) from eBay for 52£. It was used more or less daily for 20 years and has a great patina. There was a hole about the size of a dime in the canvas on the bottom of the bag beside the leather reinforcement and brass feet - I made some leather patches (from latigo leather which is very tough full grain stuff) which should wear to the same patina as the existing leather features which I reconditioned with a pine + mink oil mix. They're actually in really good shape for their age and are fully flexible with no damage. The standard dividers of that time came with the bag, and the velcro and everything was still in great shape. Now I can buy even more MF bullshit and have a place to keep it all!

Next thing to do is fashion some leather straps to allow me to carry my tripod off the front of the bag. Newer Billinghams have horizontal slits cut in the straps at the front so you can pull some straps through them in the correct vertical orientation to hold a tripod - I don't want to cut these straps so I'll probably just figure out some other means to attach the straps.

I thought I had taken photos of the patch repair but I guess I didn't. I can upload those later if there is any interest.

e: Forgot to mention that these bags are listed at over $1k USD new on the site so I'm quite thrilled to find an old one for so cheap. The only real difference is the new ones use a different divider system (rigid instead of flexible padding-stuffed fabric) and have better waterproofing in the fabric.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 2, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

powderific posted:

I've got a waxed canvas not photo bag that I'd like to patch up so I'm interested for sure.

Honestly I've got so much spare scrap leather around and needles and thread I could mail you what you'd need to do the repair for the price of shipping if you want (I am in Vancouver BC but could ship it in a padded envelope). You'd need to cut the leather for the patch and then sew it on.

I'll post some pictures of the repair when I get home in like 12 hours.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

powderific posted:

I've got a waxed canvas not photo bag that I'd like to patch up so I'm interested for sure.

Basically I made a blank out of thick paper and contoured it so that it would sit against the existing leather corner protection (this is easiest if you have eczema on one finger apparently):

I then cut that shape out of leather, and prepared it for stitching in the normal way you'd do this with leather which is to use special tools to create a groove for the stitching to sit in, and use a tool to halfway puncture the leather at even points before using an awl to fully puncture it at those points and doing a saddle stitch through the leather into the canvas of the bag. you don't really need to do the groove and you could just use a compass to space out the holes.

The thing about it is because the two leather pieces are crescent-shaped, as the bag deflects concave/convex at the bottom they aren't going to fit flush against each other the whole time. I decided to sew it so that it's flush when the bag is resting on the floor, so in this pic it looks like there is a gap between the leather - it's due to it being pushed convex.

After this I skived down some other leather to quite thin (like 3mm) and made 1" circular patches which i fixed onto the inside bottom of the bag on the opposite side of the leather patches with some contact cement.

If the exterior patches don't start to wear close to the color of the old leather I'll throw some dye on them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah but I don't want to overdarken and I really think once I start to use the bag more I'll see it darken up. Time will tell I guess.

• Locked thread