Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

Maverique posted:

Did anyone get a Retrospective 30 yet? I'm considering getting it to carry around a dSLR and a film SLR with respective lenses. How many lenses do you think it can hold? How's the padding on it? The reviews I've read make it sound like a pretty drat good camera bag, sturdy and inconspicuous.

I used a thirty as my bag on a two week trip through France and Spain. Carried a 7d, 17-55 with hood, 10-22, flash and other various camera stuff vary well. As a side bonus I was allowed to wear the bag in several castles and museums, where as back packs were verboten. I'll put pictures of it up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

As I said a few posts up I would picture and review the Retrospective 30 based on my experience, of using it on a plane, train, and automobile trip trough France and Spain.

Here's a pic of the stuff I boarded the aircraft to Paris with. Not pictured, my wife's camera, and accoutrement, novel, my US cell phone, and guide book.

Pictured is my 7D with 17-55mm hood attached, a 10-22mm, old vivitar flash, compact binoculars, netbook, electrical adapter, battery charger for camera, card reader, card holder, world cell, bag with cords, batteries and camera manual, filters, maps ect.

When out and about I took out the card reader, charger, and netbook. Loaded for touring it looked basically like this.

The 10-22 is under the "holster flap" to the left of the camera, and the flash on the right side of the bag. In the void I would have my sun glass case as well as my wife's, the camera battery, and cord bag, as well as a snack(fruit, cheese, ect.) and smaller bottle of water. The front organizer compartment held the filters, memory card holder, and really kept things generally accessible, yet would not interfere with getting the camera and lenses in and out. In the back compartment out side of the main case(outside of the flap,) I would have city maps, museum maps, and other were not from here reference material. In case of rain I would tie my rain coat to the back strap, and I carried a ball cap inside the main compartment to keep rain out of my face.

I would always carry the bag on my right side, sometimes slung across to the other shoulder or sometimes on my right shoulder. The carrying handle made for a great hand hold in crowded touristy areas where it may be more liable to be snatched, but the bag doesn't scream "expensive camera in here," and since I was usually dressed more business casual, then "ugly American tourist," helped the no expensive camera here vibe I was going for.

It carried very well and only after a LONG day of walking would you start to really notice it. I didn't feel it got in the way of movement and the camera was always super accessible(I kept the velcro silencer on the camera side, so I just had to lift up the flap. The camera would come out of the bag very nicely when the hood was attached(just about always,) but was still snug so it would just fall out. Padding wise there isn't a ton. It has a minimal padded floor, about the same amount of padding on the back side, and just the several layers of cloth on the front side. You can customize the dividers in the bag as it comes with several extra in different lengths. Also all padding is removable, and the bag would slim down to a true courier bag size. The rain cover was also easy to use, and still left you access to the bags interior, but obviously not quit the open flap ease with it off.

I really liked this bag, and was glad I bought it for the trip, I stayed secure on your shoulder, carried a ton of stuff, was discrete, was very well made, and like most courier bags, doesn't inhibit your movement as well as not hindering your getting on and off transportation. If you guys want more interior/exterior pictures I would be happy to take them.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

DJExile posted:

That's really neat and it looks quite a bit bigger than Think Tank's website seemed to show. Where does the netbook fit in, and what size is it? Looks like 10.1"

In the main compartment there is a flat zippered sleeve on the back wall. I can put the netbook in without it's neoprene cover in the sleave and zip it up, or with the cover just in the slot unzipped. Yes it's a 10.1" Asus, used it as a picture mule so I could do a nightly backup of photos.

EDIT: When looking at the bags there is a big size difference between the 20 and the 30. I went 30 because I would rather have a bit more space for stuff down the road, as well as I knew I would be carrying non photo stuff on this trip and wanted a bit of extra room. It does get smaller(thinner) if you fold up the floor padding things.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 6, 2010

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'm also open to other ideas, of course. I prefer shoulder bags...

I have a retrospective 30 and really liked it. Back about two pages I have picture of it.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

geeves posted:

^^^^ My Lowepro is like that and it's nice, but the bag overall is too bulky for everyday use. Only run into problems if I want to switch lenses quickly. Which leads me to ask:

What's a decent shoulder bag for walking around Europe without broadcasting that "I have a lot of money invested in the contents of my bag"? Perhaps something that can also carry a 13in MacBook?

Here's the shoulder bag I carried around Europe. My computer was a 10" Asus but you could get a MacBook in there no problem.

Pics of the retrospective 30.

Canon 7d with 17-55 with the hood on. There is a "laptop" sleeve behind the camera.

Here's two pictures of it in action. For reference I'm 165# and 6 feet tall on a good gravity day.

My normal carrying position

How I would have it if I were taking pictures.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

A5H posted:

I really want a camo strap. Does that exist? Why isn't there a company knocking out straps? They'd be cheap to make and tons of idiots like me would buy them.

A5H posted:

That wasn't me. I don't care if it's ugly and obnoxious.
My ideal strap would be pink bape camo and it would own :colbert:

The power of Google beckons you to ask the very same question and be amazed by the answers you receive.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 25, 2011

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

azathosk posted:

Would a few books fit in it? I'm considering getting one, but it should hold a few books (as I would be using it at the university) and a 50D with accessories.

I have a Retrospective 30, and the way I have it configured you could get some textbooks in there but not anything bigger then say a thick 6X9hard cover. If I took out the flash and 10-22 I could move the camera further over and you defiantly get bigger books in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

Elite Taco posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually ordered the Opteka thing a few weeks ago and didn't like it. For some reason, it wasn't comfortable when I moved the camera up to my face to shoot and had to turn my hand a bit on the body.

Could try one of these and not have to give up using a traditional neck strap as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-Model-N-15-Hand-strap/dp/B0000AB4NW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303037234&sr=8-1

• Locked thread