Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Rated PG-34 posted:

You may want to consider the Toploader 75 AW (non-pro) which appears to have a larger front pouch that can fit an extra lens, although you can also strap a lens pouch on the side, which is what I ended up doing. One caveat is that the weather cover won't fit with any attachments.

I think you may be referring to the Topload Zoom AW. I have that one and it's okay, but what really annoys me about it is the way the top flap unzips. The flap opens in a different direction than the 75 AW so zipping and unzipping the flap can be difficult when wearing the bag. Plus it doesn't have a quick-release buckle like the 75 AW. The outside pocket isn't that big either. I can fit a flash in there, maybe a few accessories or whatever, definitely not any extra lenses. What I tend to do is put a large lens pouch on the side for my 80-200, put a 17-50 on the camera and have my 11-16 sitting on the bottom of the bag with the lens hood for the 80-200.

bung posted:

I just picked up a Black Rapid RS-4 today, and although it's a very well made product, I think I am going to return it. I use a vertical grip and having the swivel attached to the grip makes it difficult to hold. Also, attaching the swivel to the tripod collar on my 70-200/2.8 makes it difficult to use the vertical grip. If you don't use a grip it should work very well.

Check google for alternatives. I saw one thing where someone rigged something up to attach the strap to the strap attachment point on the battery grip with cord to keep it easy to use in vertical position and to free up the tripod mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

I just realized I got them confused. The Fastpacks DO have both backpack straps. I was thinking of the one strap Slingshot bags. :downs:

Look up the Kata 3-N-1 series. It can be used in sling or backpack mode. Plus it has a padded belt for more weight distribution and the belt can be tucked away if you don't want to use it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dread Head posted:

I am also possibly looking for another for when I am going to be hiking/camping and will be wearing a backpack with all my camping gear, I would probably only have 2 (maybe 3) lenses + body.

One thing you might want to think about is something that can work with a chest harness or belt system so that you can carry it while also carrying a backpack full of camping gear.

In other news, the Think Tank Retrospective 30 looks like one sexy beast of a bag:
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-30-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx

It's like my Crumpler 7 Million, but with a better layout!

HPL fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 6, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

killabyte posted:

I am willing to write up the bags if anyone wants to know about a particular one. The streetwalkers are my favorite bags, especially the Pro. It's extremely well made, fits nicely, has an excellent tripod carrying system. I would recommend them above all of the other bags I have own or owned in the past.

One thing I've found incredibly frustrating about backpacks and sling bags is accessing lenses and other stuff that isn't in the quick-access areas which is why I favor shoulder bags. How is the Streetwalker?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Got my RS-7 yesterday. It's pretty sweet. I've been wanting a camera strap that I can wear comfortably over the shoulder for quite a while and this really fits the bill. It came with the latest version of the tripod mount, the FastenR-3. It's fairly low profile and while it does make using a battery grip in portrait a little more uncomfortable, it's not nearly as bad as some people were making it out to be, but then again, like I said, the FR-3 seems to be designed with that in mind. I'm looking into alternatives other than the tripod mount so I can use a tripod with the strap attached.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mannequin posted:

My thoughts on the RS-7 is that someone could slash the lens if they were walking behind you or accidentally bump into it. (I don't trust New Yorkers.)

http://vimeo.com/6150158

a) I always use lens hoods
b) I prefer to have my camera at my side, not behind me
c) If someone is going to go through the trouble of slashing a lens, they are idiots considering that they could just as easily hit the lens release button, grab the lens off the camera and run away with it

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bongodrums posted:

I was also thinking about purchase a B-rapid strap, but I did a bit of googleing and have come across many cases of the Tripod mount screw and Clip opening by itself over time and dropping a few cameras. I would be very careful with that strap.

If you do a bit more digging, you'll find that the majority of people with issues with the strap are talking about the older versions which indeed were a little dodgy.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

strangemusic posted:

Depending on your lens, mount the strap-lock to a tripod collar? I think there's a video that shows this being done on the Blackrapid site, but I could be totally wrong.

That only works with lenses with tripod collars. That plus I trust the tripod collar even less than I trust the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera seeing as the tripod collar can come off with one twist of a knob. I'm going to try paracord on the battery grip strap mount or something similar. I'm not too bent up about the FR-3. It's not that it's getting in my way, it's just the fact that I'd like to leave the tripod mount free.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So I've got my RS-7 strap on the strap attachment on my battery grip instead of the tripod mount. I used a piece of paracord and tied it with a butterfly knot and it seems to be holding pretty well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bongodrums posted:

Vancouver B.C, I know we have many camera retailers such as Broadway, Karrisdale, Lens and shutter, but NONE of them carry the Thinktank line!

I heard Beau Photo does. The problem being that Beau Photo is never open when I'm able to make it down there. I did make it there once while it was actually open. It was awesome.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I upgraded from the Toploader Zoom AW to the Toploader 75 AW. If you're debating between the two, I strongly recommend going with the 75 AW. The newer version addresses many of the aggravating annoyances about the Zoom AW. The 75 AW is more rigid all around which makes it much easier to zip and unzip. The redesigned top flap is a major upgrade because it's a million times easier and faster to use. The front pocket is roughly the same size as the pocket on the Zoom AW. The shoulder strap is a vast improvement in that it can be adjusted to be longer and the shoulder pad is movable as opposed to the fixed one on the Zoom.

The downsides to the 75 AW are that it's more snug on the inside than the Zoom though it can still hold about the same amount of stuff, just not as loosely and there's only one accessory harness instead of two. What I would have done if I were Lowepro is put a second one on the buckle side but lower down for shorter accessories like the bottle bag.

Overall, if you ever get frustrated working with the Zoom AW and it's kludgy access, try the 75 AW.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
This is what I'm running with my RS-7 right now. It works well and it makes the camera hang so that the camera is almost in perfect position to grab. And you can't beat it for price.

If I'm holding the camera by the battery grip I can either put my hand underneath the strap or I can grab the strap between my hand and the grip.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Interesting note: The Toploader 75 AW fits a Mamiya 645 Pro nicely.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Pacsafe Camsafe 200. Good idea or not? Might do some extensive traveling in Europe next year. The price seems reasonable, it's not the most beautiful thing in the world, but it's not horrifically ugly.

http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=116

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

kefkafloyd posted:

It looks like a Kata 3n1 with different color padding.

Not really. There are a lot of differences. I'd say it's more like someone took a Lowepro sling and beat it with the un-ugly stick.

Really though, who is the OEM for this bag?

HPL fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 6, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

subx posted:

Thanks for the previous reviews people posted of it, I'm really happy with it. If anyone was thinking of getting a new shoulder bag you should definitely check it out.

Can you post photos comparing it to other bags?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I have the 7MDH and it's good for gripped camera bodies and 70-200s but only when they're separate. The bag is too shallow to hold a mounted 70-200. I mean it'll hold it, but you won't be able to close the top flap. My usual concert configuration is roughly four lenses, a flash, a teleconverter, radio triggers, extra batteries and the usual small bits and pieces. It's a tight fit, but it works. I switch lenses frequently during shows and I find that the bag has good "no look" access for finding and stowing lenses on the go. That's why I prefer messenger-style bags for assignment shooting.

I've been using my bag for a couple of years now and if I have one gripe with it, it's that it's not very efficient as far as pockets and other supplementary storage goes. Also, the bag is rather stout because of all the thick padding. They've designed the bag to look slimmer than it is which is good because it can be like lugging a big pumpkin around.

The strap is nice and wide which helps prevent digging in on the shoulders and the strap pad is huge and moves freely so you can reposition the bag easily whether you've got it at your side, behind you or you have to swing it around to the front which makes it good for use in more crowded areas. It's also good in crowds because you can hold it sideways behind you to reduce your profile when slipping through gaps in crowds as opposed to backpacks where you barge through and knock everyone over.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Can you show how a camera with a 70-200 mounted fits in the Retrospective 10? I'm torn between the 10 and the 20 right now and lack of local merchandise to handle isn't helping.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So is that a sling bag or a shoulder bag or what?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Already Bored posted:

Sling.

It hugs the spine nicely :)

Meh. Not a big fan of slings. Nice looking bag though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Would I look like a complete tool if I bought the double sling black rapid system?

The only time something like that is socially acceptable is if you're covering an event otherwise you'll look like a dork.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Does anyone know of a bag that's designed to only hold like a camera and 1-2 lenses, but is wide enough to fit a camera with a grip? All of the small bags seem to ignore anyone using a grip. I love my big huge leather manpurse bag for carrying to places where I need a full set of gear, but if I just want to go downtown and walk around, it's a big unnecessary and I'd like something like one of the little Domke bags except with a little more width so it will fit a grip. Does anyone know of any bags like that?

Look into top-loading holster-style bags like the Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW. If you use a medium-sized lens, you can fit another lens in the bottom of the bag and have the camera on top of it. Or if you're using a 70-200, you can have the camera with that on it in the bag, and attach a side bag for another lens. Think Tank has their digital holster series as well but you'll probably have to buy a belt for that.

Keep in mind that these kind of bags aren't really much smaller than a regular bag since a gripped camera with a 70-200 can only fit in a bag so small. Of course there are smaller models if you're not using a 70-200.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

I have that 75AW and it holds my gripped E-30 + 50-200SWD, for what that's worth.

Just as a warning to other folks, there are two similar Lowepro toploaders out there, the Pro 75 AW and the Zoom AW. The Pro 75 AW is much, much better than the Zoom AW in design and I wouldn't go with the Zoom AW unless it's really cheap.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ExecuDork posted:

Lowepro also makes a line of holsters, among their toploaders. I have no experience with these bags.
http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Toploading,8.htm

I like the toploader / holster style when I'm just carrying my camera, I can pull it out pretty quickly and stuff it back down again easily. That's kinda the point of the design, so at least for me it seems to work.
I have a Lowepro toploader which I use when I don't feel like carrying a ton of gear and honestly, I find that my 7 Million messenger bag is as fast or faster because there's more room in the 7 Million so taking things in and out of it isn't as fiddly.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

klaus nomi spotted

Wouldn't a Klaus Nomi strap be like the Black Rapid double strap except with massive shoulder pads?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You have to be careful with clips because some of them can actually undo themselves when the object they're holding is rotated.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I got a Retrospective 20 yesterday. I've never had people tell me tell me how nice my camera bag is before.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Kazy posted:

What all do you fit in your bag? I'm looking at the Retrospective 10 and it seems to just be a shorter (vertically) version of the same bag.

You kind of have to watch what you put in it otherwise the bag starts getting huge. As I am writing this, I have a gripped 40D with Tokina 11-16, a Sigma 30, Canon 135 2.8, Rolleiflex, light meter, Argus C3, some film and various accessories in it and it is still somewhat manageable though boxy because of the gripped 40D on top.

It's roughly the same size as my Crumpler 7 Million but taller. I find the layout isn't as convenient for quick access as the 7 Million since it relies on more of a vertical layout as opposed to a horizontal one so you have to go digging around more whereas you just reach in and pull stuff out with the 7 Million which will probably stay as my main concert bag for that reason.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Big Floppy posted:

I forgot to mention how comfy the strap cushion is with a full load even.

Yeah that too. I found the same thing even when fully loaded.

One thing that I've found with the pinestone cloth is that the blue colour from my jeans is getting on to it from it being against my hip. I guess the canvas cloth is more grippy than the nylon or whatever my 7 Million is made of.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dr. Lenin posted:

Which Crumpler Million Dollar would hold the following:

D80 Body
80-200mm Telephoto
17-50mm
11-16mm
SB-600 Flash
Demb Diffuser & Bounce Card

All at the same time? I don't want to get one thats too big or too small. I was looking at a 7mil Bag but I'm not sure if I would use all of the space in it.

Get the 7 Mil. I run a somewhat similar setup with my 7 Million, plus a Sigma 30 and a 50 1.8 if the situation warrants. Don't worry about extra space, you won't have a hell of a lot of it and having more space means that you can swap lenses easier because you won't have to shoehorn lenses in odd spaces.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Krakkles posted:

What I'm looking for is something like this, but without the big strap, so that I can attach it to the outside of my backpack for easy carry-on. Is there anything like this out there, or am I going to have to get something custom?

Companies like Lowepro and Think Tank make modular pouches and what not that can clip on to other bags or belts. If easy access is really important, you could try something like a Think Tank belt with a holster for the camera and added pouches for the lenses. That way you can wear a backpack and still have access to your camera gear on your sides.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The problem with the spider holster is that you have to actually put the camera back on the holster when you're not holding the camera. With straps, you can let the camera go and it'll hang there regardless which is important when doing things like juggling lenses or dealing with papers or what not. There's also the security factor when doing things like taking photos one-handed over a railing or something like that. If I had to run a holster system, I'd probably do something like the ThinkTank belt+holster dealie. At least the camera is protected by a padded case plus I know a few pros that run like that and they like it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

demonachizer posted:

If you could get a used 6MDH or a new ape case pro 2000 for about the same price, which would you go for? I currently have a dslr with grip and 3 lenses that I want to lug around with laptop, speedlite and the large gorillapod and will be buying new poo poo soon (including a 70-200mm and/or a 400mm).

That's a lot of stuff to carry in a 6MDH, let alone a 7MDH.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Also, as much as I love messenger bags for camera gear, there is a practical limit to how much stuff to carry in one since it doesn't distribute the load like a backpack does. It's okay to carry a lot for a three or four hour assignment, but it's another thing to carry one all day.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

KickStand posted:

I used one for a while and it worked very well, but I find myself setting my camera down a lot to do things so I went back to the old strap

What were you doing that involved actually putting the camera down as opposed to letting it hang down by your side?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

NEX: Lowepro Streamline 100 - I'm going to buy the gently caress out of this online and get it put in my next Package 'o Stuff from the USA (and save 40%), it's awesome for an NEX or m4/3 kit.

You may want to check out the Crumpler 3 or 4 Million for something like this. It's a bit more streamlined and low profile. I use one for my Rebel XTi with lens and maybe an extra lens depending on how big the lenses are.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Like I mentioned before, check out the smaller Crumpler Million series bags. While the larger ones like the 7 Million are blimps on a strap, the smaller ones are great because they lie flat and hold your gear with a low profile.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I spent two weeks in Europe with my camera by my side on a Black Rapid strap. The strap mount never even came close to coming loose.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Sevn posted:

I am looking for a bag, preferably messenger style, that can carry a gripped D7000 + 35mm lens, 1 other lens, maybe a flash, and my ipad. Is it unrealistic to be looking for a bag like this?

No, but realize that it's going to be a fat bag because it has to be deep enough to accommodate the gripped camera. Try something like the Think Tank Retrospective 10 or Crumpler 5 Million or 6 Million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

A gripped/pro body with a lens on it is just an awkward thing to pack and there's no way around it. Plus you're way more likely to damage the mount in transit.

Don't worry about the mount. I've shot for ages with a gripped camera where the strap is secured just to the battery grip and things work out fine. That said, I probably just jinxed myself.

• Locked thread