Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
What kind of shooting will you be doing predominantly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cyborganizer posted:

Mostly casual stuff, but I'll definitely be using it a fair amount for hiking and other "sport extreme" activities like taking pictures on the sidelines of my kid's soccer games.

I'd say get the RS-7 then. You'd have to be jumping around a lot and stuff to need the BRAD strap. The strap stays in place pretty good as is. Plus you can always add the BRAD later if you find it necessary.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The instructional videos on the Black Rapid site are pretty good too.

Cyborganizer posted:

Why a screw is $20, I have no idea?

Ever done a relatively small run of custom parts at a machine shop before?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I got this camera strap off of eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rapid-Black...=item256bb0932b

It's not bad, especially for the price. It's a total knockoff of the Sun Sniper strap, even with the steel anti-cut cable in the strap. Haven't been able to give it much of a workout yet, but from initial handling it's a heck of a lot more solid than an $11 strap should be.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Have you looked at the Think Tank Retrospective series? I've got one of those and one of the more traditional camera bags (speed racer/demon). They are awesome, not sure if the cost give the exchange rate but might be under your limit (?)

The Retrospective series is fantastic, but goddamn the price.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I, Butthole posted:

Worth it. It's a hell of a bag; got the Retrospective 20 and it holds a 5D Mark 2 with 70-200, 7D with a 17-55, a Sigma 50mm, a Sigma 24mm, and a 580EXII plus a Kindle and assorted other poo poo like car keys, ear plugs, spare batteries and cards, and business cards, all in separate compartments. Plus it's durable as all get out, relatively waterproof, and the silent velcro is a godsend for quiet acoustic shows or wildlife on the run, or even street stuff.

I have a Retrospective 20 as well. It's a great bag but my main annoyance with it is the flap cover. It's velcro only, so if you have the silencers in place, the flap flaps around a lot if it's breezy because the flap is long compared to other bags. The size of the flap is also annoying because it becomes a bit of a nuisance dealing with that much fabric when accessing the bag frequently.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Magicaljesus posted:

Do any of you have experience with the Tamrac Rally 7 or the Tenba Small. Are these decent?

I got the Tamrac Rally 4 a couple of weeks ago. It's okay. I use it for carrying my Nex stuff around with a bunch of manual focus lenses. Solidly built, carries well, looks okay. My main gripe with it is that the buckle on the flap is awful. It's secure enough once it's snapped up, but getting it snapped takes a couple of tries if you're not looking at it because of the way the prongs on it are designed. Considering it's a fraction of the price of a Crumpler or Think Tank, it's not bad.

HPL fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 12, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

duckstab posted:

How does a sling/shoulder bag like the Retrospective work with a shoulder sling strap like the RS-7? Would it be more comfortable with the RS-7 and a traditional backpack style bag?

I use nothing but shoulder bags and use sling straps almost all the time. They work fine. I usually put the bag across my body one way and the strap the other. That way nothing falls off and the camera helps to balance out the bag.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Lege posted:

So I just received a battery grip for my D7000, and it seems my shoulder bag isn't quite big enough for the camera + grip combination. Oops. This does give me a great excuse to buy a proper carrying device for it though and as it happens to be I'm lacking a sling bag. Any recommendations?

I'd be delighted if it could fit the D7000 + grip + attached lens (70-200 f2.8-ish with hood reversed) + extra lens/flash + has a small compartment for miscellanea. I'd also be willing to look at sling bags with less space if they can fit the grip. I already have a camera backpack that fits a laptop so I'll use that for my mobile computer needs.

If you're looking for another shoulder bag, the Retrospective 20 can take a gripped camera with 70-200.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If a pickpocket wants your stuff, and they're good enough, they'll get it no matter what you do. All I can offer for advice is to have a way to back up your photos while on the road because camera gear can be replaced, but moments and memories can't.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Maverique posted:

Would you feel safe with it at all times? I like my upstraps (I admit, I got them recommended by K Rock, cue the sniggering) because they're strong as hell, but they keep folding up and they rough up my shirts a bit.

e: what I mean is, if some rear end in a top hat tried to grab the camera and run, as in to break the strap, he can't with the upstraps. At least that's how they make me feel ;)

If you're that paranoid about it, get a Sun Sniper strap. They have a steel cable in them and come with a theft warranty.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You can get cheap tripod rings on eBay.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You had enough coin for a two week vacation but couldn't afford a nice strap?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

scotty posted:

Any recommendations for a backpack/camera bag to take to Europe for 10 days? I'll be bringing my Hasselblad and Nikon FM10, I don't expect to bring more than just the lenses attached to the bodies. I also work well with minimal clothing and stuff like that, but I do need some space.

Leather would be nice.

Keep it as small as possible. You'll be going into crowded places with tight spaces and you don't want to be whacking people left and right with your bag. Also, a lot of places like museums have "no backpacks" rules because of the idiots who have no awareness of all the poo poo their backpacks are knocking over. I recommend a shoulder bag that you can wear across your body because you'll be able to keep one hand on your bag in dicey situations.

Ideally the bag should be expandable in some way. I used my Retrospective 20 as my carry-on bag because of the big expandable front pocket where I could put my netbook and other items.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dakana posted:

Full-size or gripped body
70-200
17-35
Flash
maaaybe an 85 or 135.

I want a shoulder bag, yeah? That'd probably be the most convenient to have on my / close by and be able to switch out gear quickly and securely?

Crumpler 7 Million if you don't need to carry around the camera with the 70-200 mounted. Think Tank Retrospective 20 if you do. Overall, the 7 Million is better if you're switching lenses a lot on assignment because it is wider and shallower so it has five spots for lenses or flashes once you take your camera out of the bag whereas the 20 only has three because it is a taller but narrower bag.

I definitely recommend a shoulder bag if you switch lenses a lot because you can switch lenses on the fly without taking your eyes off your subject and you don't need to finangle the lens back into the bag, you just drop it in.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Yeah, the 3-N-1 is great for accessing a camera body, but it's awful for changing lenses.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rcman50166 posted:

I completely ripped out the dividers and set them up in a way that works pretty well for me. Would you guys be interested in me making a video review about it? I was thinking about making one for Amazon anyways.
The problem with a sling bag is that you have to make sure to secure the flap when you're done changing lenses or everything will spill out. With shoulder bags you leave the top flap unbuckled and pull out or drop in lenses quickly.

Shoulder bags are also much better for working in crowds because you can position them anywhere around your body and you have better control of it when navigating through tight areas. When you're changing lenses every 5 minutes it's also nice to not have to go through the hassle of swinging the bag around from your back to your front. Everything is at your fingertips instantly.

HPL fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 15, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you're shooting Canon, be aware that on their battery grips there is a strap attachment point on the bottom that keeps the strap out of the way when shooting in portrait orientation.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rcman50166 posted:

Another piece of advice. Don't get any larger than a full camera pack for carrying. After that point I found myself taking stuff out of the bag and carrying it individually instead of just carrying the bag itself, which sort of defeats the purpose of the bag in the first place. At the point I'm at now, I am considering going a step down in camera bag sizes for every day carry and making a trunk for the rest of my gear which I could potentially wheel around for larger jobs.

That plus poo poo gets real heavy, real fast.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dr. Shockwave posted:

I'm going to Europe for a 2 week honeymoon. London, Amsterdam, Paris, Prague

I have a t3i with your standard kit lens and a 55-250 zoom.

I plan on taking that and an iPad mini with me everywhere.

What bag do I want? I like backpacks, and I like the ones where you can swivel them pretty fast for good access. (I don't want to be robbed however).

Having been to Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris and Amsterdam myself in the same time span, I would say avoid a backpack if you can. They're not good in tight crowds(which you will encounter in Paris by the bushel), lots of places like museums hate them and they're not good for fast access to equipment. Take a shoulder bag instead. You can wear it across your body for extra security and you can keep your hand on it in a not-so-conspicuous way when it's at your side. Much easier to deal with when getting on and off of buses, trains or whatever as well and they're easier for security to look through. It also looks much less dorky too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Sling bags are great until the one time you forget to do up the zipper and all your camera gear comes tumbling out.

For fast gear access, nothing beats a good shoulder bag.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

HookShot posted:

Buy a different lens too. 55-250mm is going to be WAY too cropped for a lot of stuff you're going to want to take photos of. Even the 18-55 kit lens will do you, you will want that extra width.

I brought the 135mm f/2.8 soft focus prime with me (small and light) and I think I used it once to take a photo of a heron in Vondelpark and that was about it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
That's why I use a messenger-style camera bag.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Slowhanded posted:

Looking to get a smaller bag for street photography during a vacation coming up & beyond. I like how slings seem easy to put on and off (Looking at the Lowepro Transit Sling). Any reason to not get them over a standard backpack? I'm probably only going to carry a DSLR and max 2 lenses.

If that's all you're carrying, try a shoulder bag like the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home. It'll allow the fastest access to your gear and it's easier to maneuver through crowds with.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Google Butt posted:

Has anyone handled the domke f5xb and think tank retrospective 5? I like the look and features of the retro, but not sure about the flap and price. I'll probably take a seam ripper to the domke label if I go with that. I've read the strap is too short on the domke, easy to replace I imagine?

I'll be using it for an a7ii and whatever primes I can fit. It'd be nice if I had the capability to carry my beercan or flash if I wanted to, but that's not a deal breaker.

Look into the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home as well. I use it with my A7S and it's great. It is available in non-horrible colours if you're wondering.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Google Butt posted:

Hmm, I feel like the top handle makes it look a little too camera baggy

And yet you're considering anything from Domke?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Google Butt posted:

Think tank retrospective 7. Comes with Velcro silencers and a rain fly.

I would not recommend the Retrospective series because if you disable the Velcro, there's nothing else to keep the flap closed. With a bag like the Crumpler 5 Million (which I use with an A7S plus 3 or 4 extra lenses), you can disable the Velcro and still have buckles.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Will a 70-300 actually fit in a Retrospective 5? It's a pretty small bag last I remember seeing one.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Here's a bit of a bag hack for you: mid-sized messenger bags like the Tamrac Rally 4 or Crumpler 5MDH fit almost perfectly in the bottom camera compartment of the Lowepro Rover AW II backpack. The padded liner is removable on the Rover and you can fold back the top flap on the messenger bag and put it in the backpack so your gear is just as accessible as it was with the original liner. Now you have a camera backpack and when you get to where you're going, you have the option of pulling the messenger bag out and using it on its own and no need to swap gear between bags.

Also, you can get the Rover AW II for super cheap on Aliexpress. Maybe it's authentic, maybe it's not, but I ordered one from there and it seems to be built pretty solid. I also got my 5MDH from there and I honestly can not tell the difference between it and a genuine Crumpler bag (I own two), so maybe it's actual factory stuff sold out the back door.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RagingTaco posted:

Did they stop making the 7 Million Dollar Home?! I'm having a hard time finding them in stock.

Check Aliexpress. Don't know if they're legit or not, but I ordered my 5MDH from there and damned if I can tell the difference. There's also the bonus that they sell the older pattern bags which are better, in my opinion.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I use the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home with my A7S kit. I can fit the A7S with a lens on it plus four or five other lenses, depending on lens size. I like that you can use the velcro, buckles or both. It doesn't have much for pockets, but it does have storage in the cover flap and there are small storage spaces underneath the shoulder strap mount areas plus loops on the sides to hook stuff on to. I like it because it's a sleek design so it's not all bulky, square and sticky-outy like a lot of other camera bags. It also has a handle on top which ends up being much more useful than you would think.

I just looked at B&H's web site and they sell the new pattern 5MDH, which is actually worse than the old one. Go to eBay or Aliexpress and get one of the old pattern ones with 2 buckles on the front and a pocket in the flap.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
A tip to the Crumpler fans out there. The loops on the sides of the MDH series bags are compatible with MOLLE gear, so if you need a little extra storage space, you can always get a MOLLE pouch and strap it on there. You can get the real deal stuff that's bombproof or get the cheap Chinese airsoft stuff, which is plenty strong enough for photographic use.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Lowepro activated their magic mind-reading machine and came up with the photo backpack I've been looking for:

http://store.lowepro.com/ca/photo-sport-bp-200-aw-ii-ca

It has a lower camera storage section and an upper general storage section, like the Rover AW II, but unlike the Rover which can be infuriatingly slow to access gear, this one has side access for much, much better on-the-go access. A nice update from the previous series.

HPL fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 7, 2015

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I like shoulder pads but I hate how they always end up behind my back when I'm moving around a lot during a shoot.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

Depends a bit on the sizes of the lenses, but I've usually found a backpack or sling bag best for keeping things out of the way. A backpack isn't going to flop around or move much, and most sling bags these days are very stable as well.

I never had much of a problem using a messenger bag with a sling strap. I would put the messenger bag cross body on my left side and the sling strap cross body on the right side. The bag would go on first and the camera strap on top since that's the one that'll be flying around the most. Backpacks and sling bags are the worst with cross body sling straps because then you're dealing with too much movement and straps getting tangled up every time you want to change a lens or whatever.

The best setup I've found is to use a wrist strap, as long as your camera is small and light enough. You get maximum flexibility and freedom and minimum fuss.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

8th-snype posted:

Put the lenses in your rear end.

Makes it difficult to zoom with your feet.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MeruFM posted:

Any recommendations for good bag within bags? I would like a small one to hold my mirror less and a couple lenses inside my normal backpack.

I got a cheap one off of aliexpress. Does okay for me. You just have to be careful with the dimensions since you're buying online and photos can be deceiving.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Have you checked your local camera store? They're relatively common and the store may have some in a box of odd parts. I've seen them on lots of old film cameras and I know for sure that the A7 series uses them too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Wow, that's ridiculously expensive for some small split rings. I would say if all else fails, look for people selling old used film camera straps. You'll potentially get 2 rings and a strap for less than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'd be weary of the Retrospective. They're good bags but the prices have gone batshit lately.

• Locked thread